• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Timmer wrote
    NP : SCOTT OF THE ANTARCTIC: The Complete Score - Ralph Vaughan Williams

This brand new release with the Royal Scottish National Orchestra conducted by Martin Yates somehow went right under my radar.

Running at approx 79 minutes ( nearly twice as long as the Rumon Gamba CHANDOS release ) this is amongst the most awesomely evocative film music written. Bloody brilliant.

I'll revisit the Chandos recording an consider it. One has to be grateful for such releases these days.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2017 edited
    I Know Who Killed Me - Joel McNeely

Way too long since I listened to this excellent Herrmann-esque score. Some superb suspense/thriller cues in the second half especially.
  2. Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote

This brand new release with the Royal Scottish National Orchestra conducted by Martin Yates somehow went right under my radar.

Running at approx 79 minutes ( nearly twice as long as the Rumon Gamba CHANDOS release ) this is amongst the most awesomely evocative film music written. Bloody brilliant.

I'll revisit the Chandos recording an consider it. One has to be grateful for such releases these days.

Volker

I need to hear this. It'll be my first encounter with RVW. Not sure what to expect, but bloody brilliant may be right up my alley. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. Alien Isolation - Christian Henson, Joe Henson, Alexis Smith, Jerry Goldsmith

I'm listening to the score of the 2014 game adaptation of the Ridley Scott horror classic. The game is fantastic, an effectively creepy and wonderful tribute to the movie. Gameplay is slow-paced, tense and the beast itself unpredictable, cunning and lethal for protagonist Amanda Ripley, daughter of Ellen. The music (if one can call it that) is 90 % ambient and 10 % thematic (thanks to some reworkings of motifs and themes that Jerry wrote). But on the whole it fails to copy the terrific and horrific mood that the 1979 score evokes. The ambient cues are just background drones and stingers. Luckily there's the occasional appearance of Jerry's genius to make it more interesting, but it's not enough to hold my interest.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. DreamTheater wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote

Volker

I need to hear this. It'll be my first encounter with RVW. Not sure what to expect, but bloody brilliant may be right up my alley. smile

As an introduction to his classical work I recommend this compilation.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    Alien Isolation - Christian Henson, Joe Henson, Alexis Smith, Jerry Goldsmith

I'm listening to the score of the 2014 game adaptation of the Ridley Scott horror classic. The game is fantastic, an effectively creepy and wonderful tribute to the movie. Gameplay is slow-paced, tense and the beast itself unpredictable, cunning and lethal for protagonist Amanda Ripley, daughter of Ellen. The music (if one can call it that) is 90 % ambient and 10 % thematic (thanks to some reworkings of motifs and themes that Jerry wrote). But on the whole it fails to copy the terrific and horrific mood that the 1979 score evokes. The ambient cues are just background drones and stingers. Luckily there's the occasional appearance of Jerry's genius to make it more interesting, but it's not enough to hold my interest.

I've never been able to play games like that, not even when I played videogames regularly in the 90s. I just don't have the 'finger control' and I'll get too freaked out. But I remember watching the entire gameplay on Youtube when the game was released a few years ago. I agree with your assessment of the score.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2017
    NP: Olivier Derivière stuff

Speaking of videogames, I'm interviewing composer Derivière in Cannes next Monday, and need to familiarize mysel with a lot of his work. I've never played any of his games.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote

Volker

As an introduction to his classical work I recommend this compilation.

Volker

I second that recommended introduction, three of the most sublime of works.

As for this new Scott of The Antarctic recording I just can't recommend it highly enough, nice in-depth liner notes too.

I love this quote from Vaughan Williams

"I believe that film music is capable of becoming, and to a certain extent already is, a fine art, perhaps one day a film will be built up on the basis of music"
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Timmer wrote

"I believe that film music is capable of becoming, and to a certain extent already is, a fine art, perhaps one day a film will be built up on the basis of music"

I know you don't think too highly of it, but to me Star Trek: TMP is one that is for a huge part built up through its music. It's of course visually arresting too, but I can't think of anything else besides maybe 2001: A Space Odyssey where music is so important purely as a storytelling device. It would become a much lesser film if I imagine TMP without that most wondrous score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote

I know you don't think too highly of it, but to me Star Trek: TMP is one that is for a huge part built up through its music. It's of course visually arresting too, but I can't think of anything else besides maybe 2001: A Space Odyssey where music is so important purely as a storytelling device. It would become a much lesser film if I imagine TMP without that most wondrous score.

Eh!??? shocked

IMO STAR TREK TMP is one of the greatest film scores ever composed and it is my #1 favourite JG work. Where did you get the idea I didn't think highly of it? dizzy

p.s. You'll find Antarctica shares similarities with Star Trek TMP where Goldsmith supposedly claimed it was his 'Vaughan Williams score'.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Thor is the one among us who dislikes Star Trek. spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Kinda. I've seen all the films, and a lot of the shows. I don't dislike it, really, but am rather indifferent. I'm also annoyed by the monomaniacal omnipresence of the fanbase (like over on FSM, whenever dragon makes a 'film news' thread that includes a bit about STAR TREK, the thread will ALWAYS turn into a STAR TREK thread, completely overshadowing the other interesting film news).

Great scores, though!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    NP: Olivier Derivière stuff

Speaking of videogames, I'm interviewing composer Derivière in Cannes next Monday, and need to familiarize mysel with a lot of his work. I've never played any of his games.

Watch gameplay on YouTube. I'm not a gamer but that's what I do to hear the music in context.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yup. I've watched a few videos of gameplay (and trailers). Also listened to the music clips on his site and sampled a few of the albums I didn't have (I only owned REMEMBER ME). SUPERNOVA is pretty good.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote

Eh!??? shocked

IMO STAR TREK TMP is one of the greatest film scores ever composed and it is my #1 favourite JG work. Where did you get the idea I didn't think highly of it? dizzy

p.s. You'll find Antarctica shares similarities with Star Trek TMP where Goldsmith supposedly claimed it was his 'Vaughan Williams score'.

You don't think highly of the film? Which is what I was referring to. Because to me the movie is helped immeasurably by its score (something which I cannot separate from the film itself).
  7. The Motion Picture is my favourite Star Trek film ever. I love and adore it.
  8. It's tied with The Voyage Home for me. Both are superbly entertaining for different reasons.
  9. Volcano - Alan Silvestri

The original release was just under 30 minutes, the expansion adds 50 minutes, some of which is essential for any fan of the composer. I don't regret buying this latest release. Silvestri's pulse-pounding style of the 80s and 90s is still among my favorite music from the movies.
  10. NP: Ender's Game (2013) - Steve Jablonsky

A score that I like to return to once in a while.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote

Eh!??? shocked

You don't think highly of the film? Which is what I was referring to. Because to me the movie is helped immeasurably by its score (something which I cannot separate from the film itself).

Actually I quite like the film. Maybe you picked up on a criticism I had of it plus I often used to NP it as The Motionless Picture which was how many critics dubbed it on its release. Regardless I've watched it numerous times and always enjoy it.

I'll be very interested in what you'll think of Scott of The Antarctic being your first introduction to RVW, there are numerous pieces which would fit Star Trek TMP such is its vast scope.
  11. NP: Rex: Another Island - Pete Gresser

This a score for a simple platform game that's striped back to a very bare sound: 8-bit music with some nice embellishments.

Each track is just so damn catchy that they are just a pleasure to listen to. The gameplay is what you would expect from a 2-D platformer and the graphics of the game are very simple - it costs about $2 (same as the score).

You can hear the 15-minute score here: https://petegresser.bandcamp.com/releases
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  12. NP: Requiem for the Living - Fiona Howe

A beautiful score predominantly for choir and cello for an upcoming film, Delirium. Very dramatic in places, but the choral parts stick in the mind afterwards.

You can hear the whole score here: https://fionahowe.bandcamp.com/
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  13. Timmer wrote
    I'll be very interested in what you'll think of Scott of The Antarctic being your first introduction to RVW, there are numerous pieces which would fit Star Trek TMP such is its vast scope.

I've just ordered it on eBay (their Vocalion store). Buying something blind I hardly do anymore.
    I'll give my comments when I receive the CD.
    And I won't blame you if it turns out that I hate it. tongue wink
  14. My copy arrived this morning. Just had a quick scan through some of the tracks. Tracks like "Iceberg" could have come straight out of the effects-laden Vejur sequences in STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2017
    DreamTheater wrote

Oh, you TOTALLY should, as you'd be in excellent company:
    it's been over a decade since Timmer recommended Rautavaara to me, and I still haven't forgiven him!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  15. NP: Scot of the Antarctic - Ralph Vaughan Williams
    The suite conducted by Rumon Gamba.

The stylistic resemblance of some cues to Goldsmith's score from Star Trek 1 never occurred to me but it's there indeed.

Speaking of resemblance: The Main Titles cue has a certain likeness to Holst's Mars: The Bringer of War, which brings us to Eidelman's score from Star Trek VI ... smile

Volker
  16. Captain Future wrote
    NP: Scot of the Antarctic - Ralph Vaughan Williams

The stylistic resemblance of some cues to Goldsmith's score from Star Trek 1 never occurred to me but it's there indeed.

Speaking of resemblance: The Main Titles cue has a certain likeness to Holst's Mars: The Bringer of War, which brings us to Eidelman's score from Star Trek VI ... smile

Volker

You had me at that name in bold. cool
  17. NP: Excerpts from

Batman (1989)
    Batman Returns (1992) - Danny Elfman

I just cached the final of the latter film on TV and went straight to again listen to the music. This for me is on Star Wars level greatness.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2017
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Scot of the Antarctic - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Volker

Yes, that heavily ominous undercurrent of Holst piece. It may have been deliberate as RVW and Holst were very close friends.

There's also a very Herrmannesque feel to some pieces, I've always thought Herrmann had RVW influences and it's no surprise that Herrmann was a great admirer of RVW.

I believe Herrmann was at the first recording of RVW's The Lark Ascending. Perhaps our Bernard Herrmann expert Alan knows more?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2017 edited
    Martijn wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Oh, you TOTALLY should, as you'd be in excellent company:
    it's been over a decade since Timmer recommended Rautavaara to me, and I still haven't forgiven him!

lol biggrin spin shame

I love that Rautavaara work and indeed all the pieces on that CD, to me it's one of those works that keep on giving. I am sorry that I influenced you into buying something that you disliked but hope I also recommended others that errr sort of made up for it. smile

I really don't think Gilles will be disappointed by Scott of The Antarctic, an epic and very accessable score by a composer who has been so influential on film composers of whom beside Herrmann include James Newton Howard, James Horner and particularly John Williams.