• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Scott of the Antarctic - Ralph Vaughan Williams

This new re-recording of the complete score is an important CD and should be supported by as many people as possible.

I was surprised that I didn't enjoy it more than I actually did. I enjoyed it more the longer the disc played - and as the score became darker and more bleak. I was interested to hear how this score could have influenced scores I am more familiar with and I could certainly hear similarities between this and the music of Jerry Goldsmith. I thought that I could hear echoes with the music of Bernard Herrmann too; particularly in the muted brass phrasings early on in the score.

Probably not an album I will revisit too often. And when I do it will probably be more because it's an important score in film music history rather than for enjoyment sake.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Rautavaara: What CD?
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2017
    Captain Future wrote
    Rautavaara: What CD?

http://d2ydh70d4b5xgv.cloudfront.net/im … 432ba3.jpg

Careful now wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Thanks. It's on Spotify. I'll give it a listen.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2017 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Scott of the Antarctic - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Probably not an album I will revisit too often. And when I do it will probably be more because it's an important score in film music history rather than for enjoyment sake.

I'm totally opposite to you on this. This is the one I'll return to many times, this is one of those scores that takes me on a journey beyond the film or film music history, I love the details in this that elaborates far more on the very good but limiting recording by Rumon Gamba.

The symphony is darker and bleaker. The score ends on a positive triumph out of tragedy note.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Thanks. It's on Spotify. I'll give it a listen.

Hmmm? Will you be in camp Martijn or camp Timmer?? FIIIIIGHT!!!! biggrin wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: POLDARK (Anne Dudley)

I like this. How's the show?
    I am extremely serious.
  4. FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Scott of the Antarctic - Ralph Vaughan Williams

This new re-recording of the complete score is an important CD and should be supported by as many people as possible.

I was surprised that I didn't enjoy it more than I actually did. I enjoyed it more the longer the disc played - and as the score became darker and more bleak. I was interested to hear how this score could have influenced scores I am more familiar with and I could certainly hear similarities between this and the music of Jerry Goldsmith. I thought that I could hear echoes with the music of Bernard Herrmann too; particularly in the muted brass phrasings early on in the score.

I'm hearing mentions of Holst, Goldsmith and Herrmann. I'm becoming more and more intruiged to say the least. lick
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. It's well worth hearing. My own personal disappointment is with the more 'classical music'-sounding passages. Being familiar with the symphony and the Chandos suite of tracks that have been released, this new version is a fascinating listen as the complete scores allows one to hear how the film develops.

For example, the opening few tracks - where the film is set more in the UK rather than on the journey to the South Pole - are much more upbeat, more optimistic. And this optimism transfers to the opening period of the ill-fated expedition when there group are looking forward to the success of their project. Then things begin to go wrong...

All of this is captured well in the score (and this is a good argument for why many film scores should be presented in a chronological order on CD: it allows one to hear the development of the music as the film moves forward).
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    it allows one to hear the development of the music as the film moves forward).

Screw the film! wink
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    it allows one to hear the development of the music as the film moves forward).

Screw the film! wink

biggrin

Here's a big wave from the other end of the spectrum when it comes to an album! wink
  7. In most cases I am with Alan here, but there are exceptions. Always the Aristotelian Golden Mean. smile

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I have some exceptions too, but that would -- as Alan says -- be from the other end of the spectrum.

But I should really check out this RVW score. I've seen it mentioned forever, but I don't think I've ever heard a note of it in any format. Is Roald Amundsen in it?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    I have some exceptions too, but that would -- as Alan says -- be from the other end of the spectrum.

But I should really check out this RVW score. I've seen it mentioned forever, but I don't think I've ever heard a note of it in any format. Is Roald Amundsen in it?

Not even Symphony #7 ?

Yes, Amundsen is in the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Not even Symphony #7 ?

I don't think so, no. I have bits and pieces of RVW, like this album. But I've never really sat down to explore him. Much like the Arvo Pärt situation, I think. A composer I know I like, but whose exploration I've postponed.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Just looked it up ( not seen the film in decades ) and Amundsen is only mentioned in the film not seen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    n.p. brian tyler - the fate of the furious

Of course when you take a long-dead franchise and beat it to hell, tightening it so you can constantly get the last drops of earnings and moneyz from the brain-dead fans of the series, then the score would sound like that. Can't decide which is worse. This or the 7th score. But i think this has less electronics and is slightly better sounding, but equally pointless and tiring. Tyler feels like imprisoned in this kind of projects and can't go outside and do something new. Or is he able to do so ? want to think so and hope for something different soon.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    I am sorry that I influenced you into buying something that you disliked but hope I also recommended others that errr sort of made up for it. smile

biggrin
    No worries at all!
    I just love dragging up the past sometime. wink

Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Thanks. It's on Spotify. I'll give it a listen.

Hmmm? Will you be in camp Martijn or camp Timmer?? FIIIIIGHT!!!! biggrin wink

I'm sure we'll form a united European front against perfidious Albion! kill
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    played ff8 and ff7 from brian tyler for the last time..boy are they horrible! Deleted immediately wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote

...a long-dead franchise...

Artistically it's always been as dead as an abortion, but commercially it's stronger than ever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Demetris wrote

...a long-dead franchise...

Artistically it's always been as dead as an abortion, but commercially it's stronger than ever.

You're absolutely right. I meant the artistic side of things, the whole meaning of existence of a movie (besides huge cash of course) wink i often wonder about the state of mind of the fans for such franchises like this in particular.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    What do you think about the first score by B.T. (that's Brian Transeau, not Brian Tyler)? I love that.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Can't remember it at all my friend smile Generally speaking though i never liked anything by BT (Transeau) at least from what i can remember, it was always listening a couple of times, then meh and then delete smile was it more electronic oriented?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    n.p. michael giacc....oops, sorry, CHRIS TILTON - assasins' creed: unity vol.1

like this, a lot, although a tad repetitive. But i am sucker for these giacchin-isms
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Can't remember it at all my friend smile Generally speaking though i never liked anything by BT (Transeau) at least from what i can remember, it was always listening a couple of times, then meh and then delete smile was it more electronic oriented?

Yes, which is why I prefer it over most of the sequel scores. But I also dig the big, lofty textures where he combines orchestra and synths:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2u_v8P2CWc
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: COLETTE (Atli Örvarsson)

I've come to know Atli personally in recent years, which again has made me re-explore his work. I'm so impressed with his scope -- from Zimmerish scores to symphonic affairs like this to weird, abstract, minimal scores for Icelandic films in recent years.

(by the way, for the longest time I thought this was a sexual thriller -- probably because of the cover -- and thought Atli succeeded marvelously in depicting the sleazy sensuality. Untill I discovered it was actually a Holocaust drama....).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    love his work. same as lorne's scores, not all, but many at least. colette is mesmerizing and beautiful. i like how these two people here, you can tell are mainly to fill zimmer's shoes, but when they deliver on their own terms and styles, they deliver well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    love his work. same as lorne's scores, not all, but many at least. colette is mesmerizing and beautiful. i like how these two people here, you can tell are mainly to fill zimmer's shoes, but when they deliver on their own terms and styles, they deliver well.

Not only well, but so completely different. I doubt even Zimmer would have been able to deliver a score like RAMS, for example. It's extremely subtle, sparse and textural. About a million miles away from Hollywood.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Demetris wrote

Of course when you take a long-dead franchise and beat it to hell, tightening it so you can constantly get the last drops of earnings and moneyz from the brain-dead fans of the series, then the score would sound like that. Can't decide which is worse. This or the 7th score. But i think this has less electronics and is slightly better sounding, but equally pointless and tiring. Tyler feels like imprisoned in this kind of projects and can't go outside and do something new. Or is he able to do so ? want to think so and hope for something different soon.

I will not take the bait concerning my views on what music comes out of Mr. Tyler's mind. But I may as well be brain-dead as well (according to some but that's okay), since I love this franchise of balls to the wall action and high speed chases, and the continued importance of family values and the heroes sticking together to overcome insane odds. It's what I get out of these films and if the haters don't get it, well that's their problem. I own all of them on bluray and I almost like each and everyone of them. My only real problem with the movies is what I will not be repeating since it has become common knowledge around these parts. wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Demetris wrote

I will not take the bait concerning my views on what music comes out of Mr. Tyler's mind. But I may as well be brain-dead as well (according to some but that's okay), since I love this franchise of balls to the wall action and high speed chases, and the continued importance of family values and the heroes sticking together to overcome insane odds. It's what I get out of these films and if the haters don't get it, well that's their problem. I own all of them on bluray and I almost like each and everyone of them. My only real problem with the movies is what I will not be repeating since it has become common knowledge around these parts. wink

Brian Tyler is the problem?

as for the films, i loved it when it was about the cars, i.e. the first three movies. Then it's got simply ridiculous, esp. the last one (from what i've seen in the trailers)