• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2017
    Why is everyone at Maintitles obsessed with Brian Tyler (either positively or negatively)?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2017
    Not me.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Nor I. I think Brian Tyler is good at what he does - his music fits the films he scores. Sometimes his music is more fun than other times. I generally don't enjoy his music too much, but it does bother me when someone dismisses him as a composer who only does one thing when they're not more familiar with his more dramatic music. At those times I'll come to his defense. Otherwise, I'm fairly ambivalent about him.

NP - "Flow Like Water" - THE LAND AIRBENDER - James Newton Howard

Excellent.
  2. That franchise went past me. That probably has to do with the fact that I am not interested in cars. Least of all in sports cars. About my own car I know that it has four wheels and if I press the right pedal it moves forward. That suffices.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2017
    Tess - Philippe Sarde

A short but colourful score for Polanski's flawed but very decent Hardy adaptation. The main theme is lovely and in a couple of cues Sarde manages to cleverly utilise phrases from it for some interesting variations.
  3. Honnouji Hotal - Naoki Sato

I'd say this is another one of his best, up there with Always: Sunset on Third Street or Priceless.
    Think Red Cliff with more romantic melody and slower pace and you get this one. One of the best for me this year.

PS. I can't believe I haven't been here for NINE years. Remember that I used to get 403 error so much that I stopped visiting.
  4. Thor wrote
    Why is everyone at Maintitles obsessed with Brian Tyler (either positively or negatively)?

Yeah I'm sure it's mostly me... I really should refrain myself for posting whenever his name comes up.
    It has become something like a bad joke told by someone who can't tell jokes. shame
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. Captain From Castile - The Classic Film Scores of Alfred Newman (1973)
    The National Philharmonics & Charles Gerhardt

Great album! But aren't they all?

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2017
    Captain Future wrote
    Captain From Castile - The Classic Film Scores of Alfred Newman (1973)
    The National Philharmonics & Charles Gerhardt

Great album! But aren't they all?

Volker

They are great... however, for some reason, Gerhardt's conducting on this one was a bit sluggish!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. It's interesting that you would say that. Getting deeper into the album I thought that it is not quite up to standard. But that's complaining at a high level.
  7. NP: Heaven & Earth (1993) - Kitaro

Magnificent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2017
    King Arthur: Legend Of The Sword - Daniel Pemberton

Energetic, off-beat score by Pemberton.
    A real winner, as far as drive, percussion and propulsive action scoring is concerned ....but it's waaayyyyyyy too long!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    vomit
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2017 edited
    Martijn wrote
    King Arthur: Legend Of The Sword - Daniel Pemberton

Energetic, off-beat score by Pemberton.
    A real winner, as far as drive, percussion and propulsive action scoring is concerned ....but it's waaayyyyyyy too long!

Agree that it's too long but yes, it's ridiculously entertaining and sounds like nothing else out there at the moment. For me it ranks alongside Pemberton's other recent score for Gold as two of my favourites so far this year.

Also up there amongst 2017 releases is this one:

Marie Curie - Bruno Coulais

The Frenchman's latest is a gorgeous, meticulously crafted work of art. Only about 30 minutes long but every cue is pure class.
  8. Poltergeist II - Jerry Goldsmith

So there's a new release by Intrada it seems (3 discs this time), but I'll stick with the one from Kritzerland which has better artwork and a well-rounded presentation that has made me really appreciate this sequel score, being the 180 degree turn it is compared to the first. It's much less in your face horror / action / suspense scoring, there's some romantic swells here that wouldn't be out of place in a family film (which Poltergeist could be called come to think of it). Much more love-it-or-hate-it electronics too, which makes Poltergeist II even more separated from the original. I think it's a fine effort by Jerry, which did almost nothing for me back in the day, but since this 2013 release I'm very glad I didn't continue to ignore it.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  9. Powder - Jerry Goldsmith

Never being satisfied with just one Goldsmith any given day, I took this one out of my collection because it literally was right to Poltergeist II, alphabetically speaking. And also because I needed something short and brilliant (I didn't pick up the expansion). And brilliantly gorgeous Powder definitely is. Jerry at his most touching, featuring the one finale track that sends my heart soaring like few composers are able to. That one cue really makes me believe that magic, and wonder and the hope for something better in life is everywhere.

I wish I could hold on to that emotion for ever. I love this score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hans Zimmer - The Dark Knight - Live at Coachella 2017 Sunday, April 16th

This fucking amazing thing here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4GgVw4lAjM
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  10. The Greatest Video Game Music Vol. 3 - Choral Edition

This album. Also on iTunes.

This is great, and I didn't expect it to be. Vol. 1 and 2 were mostly fully orchestral arrangements of various video game cues, which I also love simply as good compilations. This one has the emphasis on a solo female vocalist and choir. Some minimal instrumental backup but the power here comes from the amazing choral performances. Tracks chosen are ideal for this voice-only approach. I know many of the cues in their original form, and they're brought to life in interesting ways. Much shorter as an album than the previous 2, but also much more soothing, almost religious arrangements of beautiful pieces composed for a variety of video games.
  11. DreamTheater wrote
    The Greatest Video Game Music Vol. 3 - Choral Edition

This album. Also on iTunes.

This is great, and I didn't expect it to be. Vol. 1 and 2 were mostly fully orchestral arrangements of various video game cues, which I also love simply as good compilations.

Me too. I'll consider this one. Thanks for the heads up!

Volker

12. DreamTheatre wrote
    It is a good score but mainly because it has gotten such an incredible mix from the analogue source tapes. Thanks Kritzerland. It sounds amazing and it's much more relying on mood than with the first Poltergeist.

NP: Poltergeist II (1986) - Jerry Goldsmith

This is a cool score though I never cared as much about it as about the original score. So could not be bothered to buy the Kriterland edition. Instead I bought a second hand copy of the Varese edition back then which is now playing. I don't know what's supposed to be wrong with this edition anyway.

smile Volker
  13. From what I remember (it has been a decade at least I heard the Varese edition) there's something seriously wrong with the mixes of those, almost like the music sounds washed out (if that makes any sense). The Kritzerland has a much more natural and clear sound. Much more detail and all that.
  14. OK. But it's 35€ and that is not going to happen. ¯_(ツ)_/¯
  15. NP: Strafe - ToyTree

It's been an excellent year so far for game scores. And this is another one to add to the list. Some excellent synth tracks make for a catchy listen.

https://toytree.bandcamp.com/album/strafe-ost
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2017
    As far as the Gehard album of Newman is concerned I'm convinced that no one could conduct "Street Scene" like Newman. Anyone else is sluggish.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Strafe - ToyTree

It's been an excellent year so far for game scores. And this is another one to add to the list. Some excellent synth tracks make for a catchy listen.

https://toytree.bandcamp.com/album/strafe-ost

I wanted to like this, Alan, but really didn't. There is very little dynamic range, he's basically stuffed the mid range with lots of noise, which IMO makes it come off as insistent and aggravating. I prefer "cleaner" soundscapes with wider range.

Oh well, you've been on roll lately with some good synth game score recommendations, so I'll allow for a miss now and then. wink
    I am extremely serious.
  16. NP: Armageddon (1996) - Trevor Rabin

Such a great score if you're in power hymn mood. "The Launch" really gets me going.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    ARMAGEDDON is a great score, as is Rabin in general!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2017 edited
    NP: THE GUEST (Steve Moore/various)

Superb synthpop soundtrack with both great songs and Moore's moody score. Probably too "hipster" to some, but I love every fibre of it. The film is great too.
    I am extremely serious.
  17. Thor wrote

I'm saying this to the wrong person, but the complete score needs an official release because it's just too bloody awesome. cool
  18. DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote

I'm saying this to the wrong person, but the complete score needs an official release because it's just too bloody awesome. cool

I'm not Thor though. In most cases I welcome C&C releases. The musical essence of the film experience.