• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Hook - John Williams

My very own complete and chronological version, much improved from the flawed Lalaland release.
    Once every year I have to let this masterpiece overwhelm me with all its thematic beauty and complexity.

Film music doesn't get better than this.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2017
    Agreed. Top 15 score for me -- both in the movie, but also on album (the ol' Epic one).
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I also prefer the original album in this case. All in all the score is a bit too operatic an sugary for my taste. Did you compile your playlist from the two official releases or did you did you use unnameable sources?

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. Once a year I try to give this score another chance and frankly, Hook is something I can't really get into.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Once a year I try to give this score another chance and frankly, Hook is something I can't really get into.

Same here. However 'You Are The Pan' is an outstanding track.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. My favourite bit of the score is, actually, the piano solo in Remembering Childhood.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hooknapped and Presenting the Hook are utterly brilliant tracks as well.
    In fact, I pretty much love every single track from the movie's first half. Magic! Some of Williams' very finest work!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2017 edited
    To clarify I'll add that HOOK is a good score, it's just that IMO there are so many better JW scores for me to reach for in my collection that are better than good, they are great.

I don't like the film. Still, it could have been even worse if it had starred Michael Jackson though I suspect that would have made it more watchable in a strange curio type of viewing.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Captain Future wrote
    I also prefer the original album in this case. All in all the score is a bit too operatic an sugary for my taste. Did you compile your playlist from the two official releases or did you did you use unnameable sources?

Volker

I made my own after my first listen of the LLL album, about which I felt disappointed. I corrected The Ultimate War, which was a labor of love, so no more extreme jumps in volume here. It fully rocks, Williams all-time best rollicking action cue... I don't understand how the guys over at LLL decided to release half of that sequence in a butchered state.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. PawelStroinski wrote
    My favourite bit of the score is, actually, the piano solo in Remembering Childhood.

Also in that same track, the final 3 or so minutes for me. Some of the maestro's finest writing right there. love
  7. DreamTheater wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    I also prefer the original album in this case. All in all the score is a bit too operatic an sugary for my taste. Did you compile your playlist from the two official releases or did you did you use unnameable sources?

Volker

I made my own after my first listen of the LLL album, about which I felt disappointed. I corrected The Ultimate War, which was a labor of love, so no more extreme jumps in volume here. It fully rocks, Williams all-time best rollicking action cue... I don't understand how the guys over at LLL decided to release half of that sequence in a butchered state.

As far as I remembered Williams himself got involved in editing the LLL release and that he had final say on what was released. Also I remember the source situation was complicated. Not everything was available in the desired form. Seems like LLL was faced with a situation to release the album in its present form or to abandon the project for good.
    About those jumps in volume: This seems to be the film mix that is adjusted to dialogue and sound effects. I don't know whether an adjustment of volume would have hurt the sound otherwise. I'm sure the pros at LLL have considered that and checked it out. Also there are loops. As I said, not every cue was available in a form that one would have wished for.
  8. Captain Future wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Volker

As far as I remembered Williams himself got involved in editing the LLL release and that he had final say on what was released. Also I remember the source situation was complicated. Not everything was available in the desired form. Seems like LLL was faced with a situation to release the album in its present form or to abandon the project for good.
    About those jumps in volume: This seems to be the film mix that is adjusted to dialogue and sound effects. I don't know whether an adjustment of volume would have hurt the sound otherwise. I'm sure the pros at LLL have considered that and checked it out. Also there are loops. As I said, not every cue was available in a form that one would have wished for.

something tells me you need to hear the mix my brother did wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  9. You tell him dude ! Though I won't ever claim to be a professional music editor, I'm damn proud of that. cheesy

In any case, LLL probably cannot edit the original cues in any way, besides using remastering techniques. Are these specialty labels even allowed to tinker with tracks to improve them? Williams should have allowed that for the film stems that ended up on the expansion.
  10. The Passion of the Christ - John Debney

The original release. Such a powerful score! Emotion up the wazoo, and a musical ambience that is spot on for the film. Give Debney the right project and he can definitely contribute in a major way. Too bad there are only a couple of such projects that were given to him.
  11. Henry Jackman - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

I'm much warmer to the composer than most of guys here, but this is my favourite score of his. As traditional he can go on this side of animation (where he's essentially a bit of a John Powell-lite), shows that he's a rare bird there who actually knows what an orchestra is.
  12. Having played the game which is awesome, the music left little impression with me. I enjoy Greg Edmonson's Uncharted 3 more.
  13. Thomas observed

Something tells me you need to hear the mix my brother did wink

I believe that and that's fine and dandy. But why did LLL release what they did. (And would it have been better to not release anything at all.)

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2017
    Passage of Dawn - Diego Navarro because I have to :-)
  14. The Last Guardian - Takeshi Furukawa

Adore this video game score, a good blend of ethereal Thomas Newman-like wonder and exciting ostinati-driven action. Performed by the London Symphony Orchestra and London Voices no less. cool
  15. PawelStroinski wrote
    Henry Jackman - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

I'm much warmer to the composer than most of guys here, but this is my favourite score of his. As traditional he can go on this side of animation (where he's essentially a bit of a John Powell-lite), shows that he's a rare bird there who actually knows what an orchestra is.

I was pleasantly surprised by the music. During the game it gave me a lot of excitement during the action shoot outs. I wasn't expecting that at all. One of Jackman's better efforts.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2017 edited
    NP: THE NEON DEMON (Cliff Martinez)

"The Demon Dance": punk
    I am extremely serious.
  16. Batman vs Superman (2016) - Hans Zimmer, Tom Holkenborg

Man of Steel (2013) - Hans Zimmer

I really like the BvS score. The Man of Steel score has grown on me but is IMO inferior by comparison.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2017
    As I've said before, I like my own personal, 30-something minute playlist of BvS (not the whole thing). But it pales compared to MAN OF STEEL.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: BRIMSTONE (Junkie XL)

Beautiful score, but a bit on the long side. I was not impressed with the film, though.
    I am extremely serious.
  17. NP: Superman Returns (2006) - John Ottman, John Williams

I own and love both releases of this score. This time I opted for the original album.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Land Before Time James Horner

Just sensationally good. Perhaps my favourite score for an animation. (Yes, I know most of it's plagiarised. I don't care.)
  18. Scott of the Antarctic - RVW

Second attempt of the Dutton Vocalion release... better this time, and I don't plan to end it half-way through. biggrin

The recording is stellar, but I have nothing to compare it with, so I take it this is the best it has ever sounded. About what's on the disc itself, a more abstract film score than I'm used to, not the adventurous, emotional kind, filled with fanfares and full-on thematic hooks I grew up with. But it's interesting music still. More classical sounding, and that's maybe why my initial listen was so disappointing. But to be honest this is too long at 80 minutes, will have to trim it down to about 50 minutes for future listens.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2017
    Looper - Nathan Johnson

Eccentric score, full of pounded PVC tubes, chamber strings, odd synths, synthesized gunfire. A creative mix of textures for a movie that might also be described as a "creative mix of textures."

"Everything Comes Around" is gorgeous, but "A Day in the Life" is the true masterpiece here, short as it is. sad
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  19. Southall wrote
    The Land Before Time James Horner

Just sensationally good. Perhaps my favourite score for an animation. (Yes, I know most of it's plagiarised. I don't care.)

Agreed and I don't care about the classical influences at all. I watched he film last year and I actually wonder if in some cases they are intentionally meant to comment on the action, I remember thinking that there's no way the direct quotes of the trapping the wolf motif from 'Peter and the Wolf' for the trapping of the T-Rex at the end of a children's story is not 100% intentional!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2017
    DreamTheater wrote
    Scott of the Antarctic - RVW

Second attempt of the Dutton Vocalion release... better this time, and I don't plan to end it half-way through. biggrin

The recording is stellar, but I have nothing to compare it with, so I take it this is the best it has ever sounded. About what's on the disc itself, a more abstract film score than I'm used to, not the adventurous, emotional kind, filled with fanfares and full-on thematic hooks I grew up with. But it's interesting music still. More classical sounding, and that's maybe why my initial listen was so disappointing. But to be honest this is too long at 80 minutes, will have to trim it down to about 50 minutes for future listens.

Glad you're beginning to appreciate it. The score is perfect in the film, the music is bleak and desperate and full of the doom laden sound this story requires.

You really should check out his classical work, I'd be happy to recommend works.