• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2017
    Yeah, them.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. NP: North by Northwest (1959) - Bernard Herrmann

As splendidly rerecorded by the National Slovak National Symphony Orchestra under the baton of Joel McNeely in 2007.

This is one of my favourite Herrmann scores. A masterpiece of suspense scoring. I believe that Williams' equally brilliant score for JAWS owes some inspiration to this score.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2017 edited
    NP : ESCAPE FROM TOMORROW - Abel Korzeniowski

I've heard the film is a masterpiece.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2017 edited
    The Mummy - Brian Tyler

Ridiculously entertaining! Great stuff!

As an archaeologist I particularly like the track title "Liberators of Precious Antiquities" biggrin
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
  2. NP: The Force Awakens (2015) - John Williams

What an enchanting tone poem this is!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2017
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Force Awakens (2015) - John Williams

Volker

The amount of craftsmanship in this score is incredible. I found that as I learn more about composing and music, the bad scores grow worse and the good scores grow better, and this one has just gotten better and better.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  3. Are you yourself a composer?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2017 edited
    Yes, but not a very good one. The only instruments at my disposal are my piano and Finale, which allows me to write for a big orchestra, and hear some semblance of results.

Here's my soundcloud: soundcloud.com/aidabaida

My best piece is probably this one: https://soundcloud.com/aidabaida/battle-at-the-docks
    or this one: https://soundcloud.com/aidabaida/grand-central-station
  4. Aidabaida wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Volker

The amount of craftsmanship in this score is incredible. I found that as I learn more about composing and music, the bad scores grow worse and the good scores grow better, and this one has just gotten better and better.

I understand why everyone praises this to high heaven, but I don't see that happening myself. In terms of memorability (is that even a word ???) it's slightly better than AOTC which is the weakest SW score. And I think there's something off with the recording too. Haven't listened to it in months.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. DreamTheater wrote
    Aidabaida wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Volker

I understand why everyone praises this to high heaven, but I don't see that happening myself. In terms of memorability (is that even a word ???) it's slightly better than AOTC which is the weakest SW score. And I think there's something off with the recording too. Haven't listened to it in months.

There are not many concert set pieces. That's why I called it a tone poem. It feels more like a classical composition than a film music album. I recently revisited the original albums of Empire and Jedi and was astounded how much the presentation of film music on CD (etc.) has evolved since then.
    For the record I would place Attack of the Clones as the weakest Star Wars Score despite the amazing Across the Stars.

Volker
  6. NP: Plein Soleil (1960) - Nino Rota

Classic jazzy Rota.
  7. NP: Nosferatu (1922) - Hans Erdmann

Re-recording of 1995. Splendid!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2017

There's definitely not massive standout tracks. I don't know about memorability (I can remember most of the themes, can't speak for others), but when I listen to it, I can just kind of relax, knowing I'm in the hands of a master. It will remain at a consistently high quality; there won't be tracks that I'll skip.

Same thing with Newton Howard's "Pawn Sacrifice", Beltrami's "Fantastic Four", and Elfman's "End of the Tour". Consistent, decent scores that remain solid, enjoyable, intelligent and pleasurable during their entire run. I love listening to them when writing, reading, or working.
  8. NP Cosmos Vol. 1 (2014) - Alan Silvestri

I bought the digital albums in 2014 but never revisited them much. I saw the series and thought the music was serviceable but didn't really stand out. Its very well crafted music but not unique enough to warrant a double dip (worth about 100 Euro) now that Intrada releases the albums on CD.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2017
    Fantastic Four - 2015

If you have not heard it, or perhaps given it a cursory listen and cast it aside as another middling effort, I urge the members of the board to listen to Beltrami and Glass's 2015 "Fantastic Four" score, an opus tarnished by its attachment to such a unanimously savaged movie.

I've yet to see anyone save myself declare it the work of two masters at the very apex of their craft, and would be pleased if others were to find a bit of gold in it.

What I love so much is how many textures atypical to the genre that the two composers work into the score, from the bubble of bass clarinets to fascinating synth pads to a ticking celesta. Its an interesting soundscape. Look no further than the two pieces bookending the album, "Prelude" and "End Credits" for a survey of the work's themes.

The very last minute of "End Credits", with woodwinds oscillating lonely and breathy is among the few pieces of music to render my back a field of goosebumps. Marvelous, marvelous writing!

One of my very favorite scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Quite right Aidabaida. I liked this score when it came out.
    You've inspired me to give it another spin!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's a winner for me, though no way near favourite score territory.

Ant-Man Christophe Beck

A damn good score with a damn good theme. Easily one of the best in any Marvel film, cinematic universe or not.
  9. Aidabaida wrote
    Same thing with Newton Howard's "Pawn Sacrifice", Beltrami's "Fantastic Four", and Elfman's "End of the Tour". Consistent, decent scores that remain solid, enjoyable, intelligent and pleasurable during their entire run. I love listening to them when writing, reading, or working.

I don't remember much about Pawn Sacrifice but my memory (and iTunes ratings) tell me it had a decent opening track, pretty good closing track and a boring midsection. Feels like an odd choice for the criteria you laid out. And I definitely recall some dull spots in Fantastic Four.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    I've never found dull sections in either. There's certainly quieter, or simpler sections, but dull means there's nothing interesting happening, and I feel there's always something interesting happening in those scores, that's why I like them so much.
  10. In exactly 1 week it will be 2 years since James Horner's passing and since he's my favorite composer and that'll probably never change I will happily be spinning nothing but James Horner from now until then, just like I did last year.

Batteries not Included : Lovely little score, but not one that deserves classic status. The big band cues always raise a smile though.

An American Tail : His first animated score, and it's a delightful gem! The main title is gorgeous, and the songs are fun !
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2017
    Batman Elfman

Probably been 15 years since I listened to this. Newsflash: it's good. No chance the new thing will sound remotely like it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2017 edited
    NP : ARTHUR OF THE BRITONS - Paul Lewis

Brilliant score to 1970's TV series chock full of memorable melodies and themes. Title theme by Elmer Bernstein which also gets a work out in some variations.

Album is available to listen on Spotify if anyone is interested.
  11. War Machine (Nick Cave & Warren Ellis)

What the fuck kind of music is this? Ah, I know the filmmusic of today vomit
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  12. Trevor Jones - Fields of Freedom

Just on a Trevor Jones roll (how I got there from Tyler's The Mummy does somehow escape me) and it led me to discovering this one. A typical effort from the man for what seems to be a film on the Battle of Gettysburg, but the theme is just damn beautiful, I have the first cue on repeat now.

However, what has to be pointed out, the penultimate cue is hilarious in how it ends up being a rehash of, of all things, G. I. Jane.

I prefer the theme in its minor-key variation (the first cue) than the triumphant major key variation at the end of the score, though that explains why it ends on the note it does.

I put it in the wrong NP thread before. But when we're at it:

Trevor Jones - From Hell

Gothic bliss.
  13. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    War Machine (Nick Cave & Warren Ellis)

Never heard a Nick Cave score before? He's not exactly a traditional composer.
  14. Why is it that whenever I read the words "not a traditional composer", the end result is inevitably "a shit composer"?

And does that say more about my taste than it does about the composers themselves? sad
  15. Potentially it talks about taste, because, really... I don't know. I don't think you are the guy who wants a single type of sound to every film possible. And the thing is that there is stuff that calls for something like Nick Cave, who is by no means a shit musician (neither, for that matter, is Trent Reznor).

And also, consider the fact, that if you really think of it, Hans Zimmer can't be called a traditional composer either. My and your generation just became inclined to treat him already as a tradition. But when he started utilizing orchestras and went beyond the "80s synth guy", he wasn't exactly accepted by the traditionalists with extended arms. That happened 1998-2003. And still something like At World's End was a shocker, let alone I wonder what many of these people would think of something like Muppet Treasure Island.

The definition of "traditional" composer depends on the generation you come from and yeah, a lot of it comes from taste. I'm maybe perhaps not the most open person in the world in many aspects, but I think that everything can be appropriate in the right setting. It's a difficult issue.
  16. PawelStroinski wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Personally, I'd say that you're not missing much. I just can't enjoy much of what they have produced so far.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  17. Thomas Glorieux wrote

Yet you like to invest time in that music... rolleyes

Not me bro !

All The King's Men - James Horner

I try to listen to this when the mood calls for it. Because it's not one of his more exuberant or memorable scores. It can be a bit samey, monotonous in places, and more than a bit depressing too. I do like it though, some interesting cues here and there, intimate piano renditions (which normally isn't my go-to type of scoring). It's just enough to hold my interest all the way through.
  18. PawelStroinski wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

I have, just not a lot. But it's not just this score. So far it has been an absolute shit year concerning music. I hope with the "blockbuster releases" coming this summer things could improve a bit. But overall it's definitely a year where filmmusic has truly lost its touch. Thank god I'm returning to the masters who have done it before (aka going through a lot of Jerry Goldsmith, Alan Silvestri, Basil Poledouris soundtracks). Now that was quality.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh