• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Le Coeur en Braille (Heartstrings) by Philippe Jakko

Finally a score I can call a worthy (small) discovery. Somehow it's a typical straightforward score that offers nothing new, at another (considering the crap of today) a score that HAS heart, melody, playfulness and emotion.

Short but truly lovely score. Thanks Jakko for reminding me there is still loveliness out there.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2017
    Was: Krull James Horner

Multiple scoregasms.

Now: Searching for Bobby Fischer James Horner

Not Krull, but brilliant anyway.
  2. Every so often I rummage through my collection and pick out memorable/favourite TV themes that I have heard over the years - going back to the mid-50s.

I was surprised to find that I have about 250 TV themes that I would count and being particularly memorable in my life - some of which were responsible for igniting my interest in film and TV music more generally.

Some great memories of some great TV shows.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. NP: Passengers (2016) - Thomas Newman

This ambient blend of electronic and orchestral music is right up my alley. Very spacey!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2017
    Thor wrote
    NP: BRIMSTONE (Tom Holkenborg)

cool

Sorry to say that I have many issues with the film, Joep (I know you worked on it), but I'm still loving the score like there's no tomorrow.

lovely score indeed, wish he writes more in this vein. you know, away from the 'other' direction...the noise wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Nouvelle France - Patrick Doyle

Basically the same theme repeated ad nauseum (and it's not the only Doyle score where that's the case) - but what a theme it is.

boy i love that score! what a theme indeed, so lush and beautiful! my favorite doyle score along with wah-wah
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Antoni Lazarkiewicz - rosemary's baby

So ethereal and gripping, the orchestral colors are intense and organic, the choral work is etheral, out of this world score. Addicted to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Star Trek - Into Darkness - Giacchino

I hadn't heard this for a while. Listened to the full album and enjoyed it so much that I started it again immediately. I'm so glad Giacchino's on Spider-Man Homecoming.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  4. I am so glad, Giacchino is on everything.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Captain Future wrote
    I am so glad, Giacchino is on everything.

I really dislike this. He has not impressed me with anything he's done.
  5. lp wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    I am so glad, Giacchino is on everything.

I really dislike this. He has not impressed me with anything he's done.

Nor did he impress a certain Norwegian gentleman. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2017
    Giacchino on everything is better than Zimmer on everything, or Jackman on everything. He at least can write great music, even if the action music is a bit generic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The man has a point...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Aidabaida wrote
    Giacchino on everything is better than Zimmer on everything, or Jackman on everything. He at least can write great music, even if the action music is a bit generic.

I can't agree. Great music? No, but his Pixar music has been on point though. However, overall, he doesn't provide anything other than just functional orchestral music. Glad that you like functional music. But I'd rather hear other composers do orchestral music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Martijn wrote
    The man has a point...

So does a blade of grass.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida

I can't agree. Great music? No, but his Pixar music has been on point though. However, overall, he doesn't provide anything other than just functional orchestral music. Glad that you like functional music. But I'd rather hear other composers do orchestral music.

Oh, yeah. Functional music. That's what this is called.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1aQqZJlL_w
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    I haven't been impressed with Giacchino since his terrific 2015. Both his themes and his action music have gotten very stale.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    I agree with the comment about his Action Music, he often has trouble writing action music that doesn't turn into a mish-mash of notes. Nevertheless, he still provided some stunners in 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qemb3iBlp1o (Your Father Would be Proud)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csqb-BcGP64 (Strange Days Ahead)

And some of his action music is decent!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ3RxCfqfWA (Crash Decisions)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1pDZicpgIE (Ancient Sorcerer's Secret)
  6. I think on "Star Trek into Darkness" and "Rogue One" he provided stunning action music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I thought "Crash Decisions" in his last Star Trek was brilliant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Aidabaida wrote

Love Giacchino. True.
  7. It always perplexes me that everyone seems to forget that Giacchino's best music was written when he was just starting out, for videogames. Grade A Quality composing right there, I called him the new John Williams back then. Almost no one ever seems to mention this fact. Not a single film score reaches that level of quality IMO.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    His video game music is really good, but its a bit of a pastiche, no? It's not really his voice, he's imitating the greats. So, yeah, it's fine music, but if I want music that sounds like Williams, I'll listen to Williams. Giacchino's own voice is found in his film scores.

I'm probably wrong. Is there stuff in his video game scores that's really his own unique sound? I'm not as familiar with the scores as I probably should be.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    HIs video game music is excellent, but Aida hits the nail on the head; it's pastiche. If I'm in a Giacchino mood, I'll listen to his film scores. And mostly his newer ones.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Pubescent Frogs of Silent War: Out of the Shadows Steve Jablonsky

A suberb theme right from the beginning, and a very enjoyable score that follows.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2017
    What is this? animation?

btw favorite Giacchino moment is LOST, by far. smile But love his body of work in general. Versatile very well worked and ... full!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2017
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Le Coeur en Braille (Heartstrings) by Philippe Jakko

Finally a score I can call a worthy (small) discovery. Somehow it's a typical straightforward score that offers nothing new, at another (considering the crap of today) a score that HAS heart, melody, playfulness and emotion.

Short but truly lovely score. Thanks Jakko for reminding me there is still loveliness out there.

Yes, wonderful score -- one of my favs so far this year. I also have his score for QUE D'AMOUR, which is equally excellent.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Aidabaida wrote
    His video game music is really good, but its a bit of a pastiche, no? It's not really his voice, he's imitating the greats. So, yeah, it's fine music, but if I want music that sounds like Williams, I'll listen to Williams. Giacchino's own voice is found in his film scores.

I'm probably wrong. Is there stuff in his video game scores that's really his own unique sound? I'm not as familiar with the scores as I probably should be.

But it came out of his head, so why is that not his own voice? Even if he was writing in the style of the maestro, it doesn't sound exactly like Williams either. Back then he had a grasp on themes and orchestration like the best composers have. His film scores are fine but only a handful I would call superb. There's a much bland filler going on in a lot of them.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  9. Because Giacchino really found himself in a more musically contemporary setting. The score that developed his voice was actually quite avant-garde, if you listen to it. So that avant-garde, very dissonant idea (which has multitude of themes and motifs here and there, it's a TV series score with the leitmotivic ambition of a John Williams franchise), formed his voice as we have it today. He does try to combine the more contemporary (not "modern" as "modern" implies an RCP sensibility) and traditional (his impeccable sense of structure, more outwardly thematic scores, if I may put it this crudely).

On the video game level, the real transition is MoH: Frontline. Underground already suggests some ideas developed later, but the really formative ideas for him are in Frontline, see for example the way the dramatic themes are structured.

Airborne is just another story. And I do love it!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  10. With MOH: Frontline already being from 2002 (15 years ago !!!), I fear that I will never again hear such a masterpiece from Giacchino, at least not in that same memorable style, where strong themes were at the forefront, and action was pretty consistently bad-ass. And not to forget the more emotional side too, which nicely balanced that score out.