• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Steven wrote
    HIs video game music is excellent, but Aida hits the nail on the head; it's pastiche. If I'm in a Giacchino mood, I'll listen to his film scores. And mostly his newer ones.

Indeed. I had a listen to Man of Honor on YouTube and I have to agree: If I want Williams I choose Williams. The themes are sweet though.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2017
    Please stop talking about Giacchino, or I will kill you all.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2017
    Thor wrote

Now Playing - Every Giacchino Score in my Album

I've had time to think, and I truly believe that Giacchino may be the greatest film composer, not of this year, or this decade, but really of all time. Who else combines scintillating flutes with triumphant brass with percussion so jaw-dropping it transcends time and space and finds its place in amongst the kettle-drums of the cosmos, playing in time with nebulae and stardust.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  2. Aidabaida wrote

Hä? confused Got a little overexcited, did we? wink
  3. Thor wrote

Wipe them out. All of them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2017 edited

You too would be incoherent if you saw Giacchino as I did.

What are your thoughts, Thor?
  4. Aidabaida wrote

Nosferatu! Unholy! Unholy!
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2017

But it came out of his head, so why is that not his own voice? Even if he was writing in the style of the maestro, it doesn't sound exactly like Williams either. Back then he had a grasp on themes and orchestration like the best composers have. His film scores are fine but only a handful I would call superb. There's a much bland filler going on in a lot of them.

Giving it thought, it does seem like his best work is when he's able to write music without the restrictions that come from it being locked to picture. His video game music and most of Jupiter Ascending.
  5. I love Jupiter Ascending. But I had to make my own edit for maximum enjoyment. The existing album: too long, too inconsistent, too much bland material. I actually put the entire suite as the final cues. Works much better.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Such a beautiful score, such a hideous movie!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Aidabaida wrote

What are your thoughts, Thor?

I think you are doomed.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2. - Tyler Bates

Enjoying this. I really, really like the MCU's music. People complain all the time about how bland it is, but the thing holding them back from being "memorable" is theme continuity, which this score has! Here's how I'd rank the scores, from favorite to least favorite.

Doctor Strange
    The Avengers: Age of Ultron
    Thor
    The Incredible Hulk
    Ant-Man
    Guardians of the Galaxy 2
    The Avengers
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    Captain America: The First Avenger
    Captain America: Civil War
    Iron Man 3
    Thor: The Dark World
    Iron Man 2
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    Iron Man
  6. That strikes me as a pretty reasonable ranking, although you have Civil War a bit high and The First Avenger a bit low IMO (certainly I think of the two Silvestri scores, The Avengers is the weaker).

I think the MCU music taken as a whole is average, or maybe a little above. Some individually very fine scores but they don't add up to a coherent franchise, which is where the disappointment stems from. Then again, expecting any single composer to keep up with two to three big superhero flicks a year is a fools' errand, as is expecting multiple composers to work with each others' identities in a way that doesn't sound forced and inorganic...in other words, Marvel simply makes too many damn movies for the scores to ever sound unified.

They're still way, way, waaaaaaaay ahead of DC.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2017 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    That strikes me as a pretty reasonable ranking, although you have Civil War a bit high and The First Avenger a bit low IMO (certainly I think of the two Silvestri scores, The Avengers is the weaker).

After watching the movie a few times, I've grown to really enjoy the Civil War score. It's a very subtle piece of work, sort of like "The Force Awakens" less flashy, but more refined. What I really appreciate is that unlike a lot of MCU scores, Jackman has a bit of restraint in Civil War.

Also, he plays against the visuals sometimes. In this clip (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGMCCfm … &t=11m), watch as the heroes come together to fight. It's a really fun scene, but Jackman blares tragic, descending brass lines, reminding us that it may be fun to watch, but really it's quite sad to see our heroes fighting.

And it contains what in my opinion is the most emotionally powerful cue in the entire franchise, "Closure". I have it cued up here to the beginning of the most heart-wrenching section. https://youtu.be/45uNvHzMhuM?t=4m8s
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Aidabaida wrote
    Doctor Strange
    The Avengers: Age of Ultron
    Thor
    The Incredible Hulk
    Ant-Man
    Guardians of the Galaxy 2
    The Avengers
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    Captain America: The First Avenger
    Captain America: Civil War
    Iron Man 3
    Thor: The Dark World
    Iron Man 2
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    Iron Man

Holy moly, I love ranking things!

Doctor Strange
    Ant-Man
    Iron Man 3
    Thor 2
    Capt America
    Avengers
    Thor
    Age of Ultron
    Iron Man 2
    GOTG 2
    GOTG
    Civil War
    Iron Man
    Winter Soldier

Unranked: Incresible Hulk (not sure I've ever listened to it)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    As I (generally) dislike superhero movies, my list of favourite films within this segment would be short and sweet.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Thank you Thor.

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It was my most informative post yet.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    My fave themes...

Iron Man 3
    Ant-Man
    Avengers
    Captain America The First Avenger

Can't remember any others beside those four.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    As I'm a sucker for superhero movies here's my ranking of MCU films...

Avengers
    Guardians of The Galaxy ( haven't seen 2 yet )
    Iron Man
    Captain America The Winter Soldier
    Thor
    Avengers Age of Ultron
    Doctor Strange
    Captain America Civil War
    Iron Man 2
    The Incredible Hulk ( The score is serviceable James, nothing memorable )
    Iron Man 3
    Thor The Dark World

I've not seen Ant-Man yet.

The trailer for Thor Ragnarok looks great, can't wait for that one.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2017
    The Incredible Hulk score is far from servicable! It's probably the most intelligent Marvel Score, if not the most imminently enjoyable. The layers of themes is, as Clemmensen put it, almost too smart for the movie it belongs too. And the octave-stretching glissando is, well, incredible smile
  7. Aidabaida wrote
    The Incredible Hulk score is far from servicable! It's probably the most intelligent Marvel Score, if not the most imminently enjoyable. The layers of themes is, as Clemmensen put it, almost too smart for the movie it belongs too. And the octave-stretching glissando is, well, incredible smile

I listened to that score once. I remember nothing about it. And I really wanted to like it as I'm a fan of Armstrong, but I heard nothing worth going back to. I'm happy to have my mind changed, though, if you want to point out some specific examples of awesomeness I can revisit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2017 edited
    Timmer wrote
    As I'm a sucker for superhero movies here's my ranking of MCU films...

Avengers
    Guardians of The Galaxy ( haven't seen 2 yet )
    Iron Man
    Captain America The Winter Soldier
    Thor
    Avengers Age of Ultron
    Doctor Strange
    Captain America Civil War
    Iron Man 2
    The Incredible Hulk ( The score is serviceable James, nothing memorable )
    Iron Man 3
    Thor The Dark World

I've not seen Ant-Man yet.

The trailer for Thor Ragnarok looks great, can't wait for that one.

Ive really enjoyed most of these MCU films, too. I'm surprised by some of your rankings, Tim. I like IRON MAN 3 so much more than you do! Here's how I would order them:

CAP: WINTER SOLDIER
    GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY
    AVENGERS (despite the shallow plot)
    CAP: CIVIL WAR (despite some redicuouls plotting)
    IRON MAN 3 (really loved the twist part way through)
    THOR
    IRON MAN
    AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON
    CAP: FIRST AVENGER
    ANT-MAN
    DR STRANGE
    THE INCREDIBLE HULK
    THOR: THE DARK WORLD
    IRON MAN 2

I haven't seen Guardians 2 yet. I don't like ANT-MAN and DR STRANGE as much as most people seem to. If they had been made sooner I might feel differently, but at guess I'm getting a little origin-storied out. So many of the first films in these franchises are basically the same story: remarkable yet flawed guy becomes a super hero and then must face a bigger scarier version of the same kind of thing he is (see IRON MAN, HULK, CAPTAIN AMERICA, ANT-MAN, DR STRANGE). That said, I'm really looking forward to the next Spider-Man (really glad it's not another spidey origin film). And I'm excited about THOR 3, but almost entirely because of the director.

I'll have to think a bit before I can order the film scores, though. The only themes I can remember right now are those for the Avengers and Thor (the first film). I remember liking Tyler's themes for Thor and Iron Man, and Ant Man's theme, and the Guardians' theme, but I can't remember them at all. I've seen DR STRANGE twice (and one of those just a couple weeks ago) and I've listened to the score away from the film, and I still can't think of the theme right now.
  8. I haven't enjoyed a single Marvel superhero score since the first Iron Man, except for Silvestri's Captain America and Horner's The Amazing Spider-Man (which works like a charm in the film, a little less as an album).

All the rest didn't do much for me, or nothing at all.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    christopher wrote
    I remember liking [..] Ant Man's theme... but I can't remember them at all.

uhm

Ant-Man's theme is surely the most memorable one in any of the Marvel films, save perhaps for Silvestri's Avengers theme. All I have to do is tap the beat and people recognise it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: LE CINEMA DE.... (Michel Polnareff)

Smooth listening. Haunting melodies and riffs. Too few are aware of Polnareff, IMO.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. DreamTheater wrote
    I haven't enjoyed a single Marvel superhero score since the first Iron Man, except for Silvestri's Captain America and Horner's The Amazing Spider-Man (which works like a charm in the film, a little less as an album).

Based on what I know of your tastes I think you should at least give Ant-Man a shot, it's very Goldsmithian in places (when it's not doing the whole spy caper thing). I reckon you'd enjoy it. smile

And am I reading it correctly that you actually like the first Iron Man score? uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida

I listened to that score once. I remember nothing about it. And I really wanted to like it as I'm a fan of Armstrong, but I heard nothing worth going back to. I'm happy to have my mind changed, though, if you want to point out some specific examples of awesomeness I can revisit.

Took me a few times as well!

Unused main title: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdbsz4E7sgo
    The brutish main theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U8QrkJltbo
    The tragic love theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHwuUjbzXZg
    The pounding action music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpAzPWlHQ9M
  10. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    I haven't enjoyed a single Marvel superhero score since the first Iron Man, except for Silvestri's Captain America and Horner's The Amazing Spider-Man (which works like a charm in the film, a little less as an album).

Based on what I know of your tastes I think you should at least give Ant-Man a shot, it's very Goldsmithian in places (when it's not doing the whole spy caper thing). I reckon you'd enjoy it. smile

And am I reading it correctly that you actually like the first Iron Man score? uhm

I hated Ant-Man the movie and let's say the score didn't win me over either. After that one listen I felt it was one of those current generic scores in which I've lost all interest.

No I just said Marvel started with the series of films and Iron Man was the first. That's why I said 'except', so only those 2 I've mentioned. I do have peculiar tastes, but nothing that would suggest Iron Man being among my favorites. Far from it ! tongue
  11. Ah, that's a shame. I would have thought an action cue like this would be something up your alley. Oh well. Can't blame a guy for trying... tongue