• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2017
    DreamTheater wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    I haven't enjoyed a single Marvel superhero score since the first Iron Man, except for Silvestri's Captain America and Horner's The Amazing Spider-Man (which works like a charm in the film, a little less as an album).

All the rest didn't do much for me, or nothing at all.

Based on what I know of your tastes I think you should at least give Ant-Man a shot, it's very Goldsmithian in places (when it's not doing the whole spy caper thing). I reckon you'd enjoy it. smile

And am I reading it correctly that you actually like the first Iron Man score? uhm

I hated Ant-Man the movie and let's say the score didn't win me over either. After that one listen I felt it was one of those current generic scores in which I've lost all interest.

No I just said Marvel started with the series of films and Iron Man was the first. That's why I said 'except', so only those 2 I've mentioned. I do have peculiar tastes, but nothing that would suggest Iron Man being among my favorites. Far from it ! tongue

So i am not alone! Hated both ant-man the movie and deadpool the movie!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Excerpts from Return of the Jedi and Independence Day. The latter holds up quite nicely to the former.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. Demetris wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    I haven't enjoyed a single Marvel superhero score since the first Iron Man, except for Silvestri's Captain America and Horner's The Amazing Spider-Man (which works like a charm in the film, a little less as an album).

All the rest didn't do much for me, or nothing at all.

Based on what I know of your tastes I think you should at least give Ant-Man a shot, it's very Goldsmithian in places (when it's not doing the whole spy caper thing). I reckon you'd enjoy it. smile

And am I reading it correctly that you actually like the first Iron Man score? uhm

I hated Ant-Man the movie and let's say the score didn't win me over either. After that one listen I felt it was one of those current generic scores in which I've lost all interest.

No I just said Marvel started with the series of films and Iron Man was the first. That's why I said 'except', so only those 2 I've mentioned. I do have peculiar tastes, but nothing that would suggest Iron Man being among my favorites. Far from it ! tongue

So i am not alone! Hated both ant-man the movie and deadpool the movie!

The more of these Marvel spin-offs get released, the more I dread having to watch them. I liked them well enough during the first phase and since then I've lost interest completely. Ant-Man wasn't even fun to watch, and the comedic moments fell completely flat. Even a respected actor like Michael Douglas looked like he was bored out of his mind. At least his younger self was an amazing effect, so congrats to the CGI artists for that particular scene.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. Steven wrote
    christopher wrote
    I remember liking [..] Ant Man's theme... but I can't remember them at all.

uhm

Ant-Man's theme is surely the most memorable one in any of the Marvel films, save perhaps for Silvestri's Avengers theme

That's not saying much. I doubt there isn't one person in a hundred who have seen the MCU films that can hum even the Avengers theme.

I haven't gone out of my way to familiarize myself with Ant-Man's theme. I'm sure if I listened to it again it would all come back to me. I'm just saying that I've heard the score inside and outside the film and all I can remember is that it was cool. Am I the only one around here that can't recall that theme?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2017
    Not at all.
    It's definitely a cool theme and a very fun score, and it's EASILY the most memorable of the entire Marvel cinematic universe...but that's an exceedingly relative position. At the end of the day obviously it's still no James Bond or Mission Impossible or the like.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Don't mind me, I'm just here to post an NP.

NP: THE MURDER PACT (Matthew Llewellyn)

One of my top 10 scores in 2015 -- gorgeous, haunting synth score with a thriller twist.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Jeez. You're SUCH a spoilsport.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. Martijn wrote
    Not at all.
    It's definitely a cool theme and a very fun score, and it's EASILY the most memorable of the entire Marvel cinematic universe...but that's an exceedingly relative position. At the end of the day obviously it's still no James Bond or Mission Impossible or the like.

Williams' Superman is the definitive superhero score that all others will be judged by. Most of them can barely touch the kneecaps of said superhero.

For me the choice is always easy: do I listen to something new that is possibly time-wasting or something from the old days that is anything but... biggrin
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2017 edited
    My memory is a bit vague but wasn't John Williams once attached to Ang Lee's HULK?

And yes, I know Mychael Danna was set to score before Elfman took over.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Not at all.

I agree, but those themes have the advantage of being repeated over many films and shows over many years. Even if a theme came along in a Marvel film that matched those for memorability, I think it would be doomed from the outset. (Again, in relative terms.)

That said, I think Beck's Ant-Man theme could be much, much more memorable if it was used more effectively. There are no title sequences anymore. And the theme, as far as I can recall, doesn't actually get a full rendition during the film?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    That said, I think Beck's Ant-Man theme could be much, much more memorable if it was used more effectively. There are no title sequences anymore. And the theme, as far as I can recall, doesn't actually get a full rendition during the film?

Re-listen to "Into the Hornet's Nest." And the way Beck dissects his brilliant theme throughout the score is masterful.

Ant-Man, IMO, is the finest MCU film with the finest MCU score. Not only is it THE finest MCU score it one of the finest comic book film scores PERIOD!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Round-Up (Western compilation, Erich Kunzel & Cincinatti Pops Orchestra)

SMASHING !!! punk punk punk

Beware of the gun shots though... dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    How To Train Your Dragon - John Powell

2010 was one of the best years for soundtracks, Murray Gold's best work on Doctor Who, Space Battleship Yamato, Alice in Wonderland, Tron: Legacy, and of course, this crown jewel of John Powell's oeuvre. I must've listened to this score a hundred times, and it has yet to become stale.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  5. I'm with you on Space Battleship Yamato and Tron Legacy but you forgot Inception !
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Ah Inception! It's plight forces me to become poetic.

Inception, that odd thing, a fine score, yet one so tarnished by its evil legacy that I can no longer enjoy it. Alas!
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Got sent Giacchino's Spider-Man. One thing's for sure: some people will really like it. Others will really not like it. And I'm convinced that other people will have no strong opinion either way. I know this opinion might be controversial.
  6. Judge Dredd - Alan Silvestri

One of those big thematic Silvestri scores that remain utterly fantastic, no matter how many times I hear it. I prefer the original album just a bit more over the expansion, and the reason for that is that the expansion isn't balls to the walls excellence all the way through, but takes a pause now and then (which to be honest is fine, because a score needs to breathe from time to time). But purely for satisfying an incessant craving for pounding action and huge emotional fanfares, the 40 original minutes do the trick, and then some !
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2017
    DreamTheater wrote
    Judge Dredd - Alan Silvestri

One of those big thematic Silvestri scores that remain utterly fantastic, no matter how many times I hear it. I prefer the original album just a bit more over the expansion, and the reason for that is that the expansion isn't balls to the walls excellence all the way through, but takes a pause now and then (which to be honest is fine, because a score needs to breathe from time to time). But purely for satisfying an incessant craving for pounding action and huge emotional fanfares, the 40 original minutes do the trick, and then some !

Yeah! Great score, shame about the film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Got sent Giacchino's Spider-Man. One thing's for sure: some people will really like it. Others will really not like it. And I'm convinced that other people will have no strong opinion either way. I know this opinion might be controversial.

I enjoyed the suite and I'm looking forward to hearing the score.
  7. Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Judge Dredd - Alan Silvestri

Yeah! Great score, shame about the film.

You know what, as an action sci-fi Stallone vehicle it's enjoyable enough, especially with that score supporting it. But I reckon fans of the Dredd character are disappointed, and since I'm not familiar at all with the Dredd comics I didn't particularly enjoy the tone and style of the reboot starring Karl Urban, which had an atrocious score too.

I've seen Dredd 2 times, and Judge Dredd at least 10 times. Nuff said.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I like both the Stallone and Urban film!
    I am extremely serious.
  8. I found the Urban film rather cool as well.

Volker
  9. Visually cool ok, but it was so bleak and depressing, and unsentimental... perhaps what a Dredd film must be like. sad
  10. I'm totally unfamiliar with the comic, so I can't say what film compares better to the source material.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

Re-listen to "Into the Hornet's Nest." And the way Beck dissects his brilliant theme throughout the score is masterful.

Ant-Man, IMO, is the finest MCU film with the finest MCU score. Not only is it THE finest MCU score it one of the finest comic book film scores PERIOD!

-Erik-

True! I should clarify: Beck uses the theme plenty in the score, and to great effect, but the lack of titles means the theme doesn't get established at the beginning.

Superman had it all: Great theme (the greatest), a proper title sequence, and superb use of the theme during the film.
  11. Captain Future wrote
    I'm totally unfamiliar with the comic, so I can't say what film compares better to the source material.

From what I know the 1995 film is seen as a failure by many because it didn't take the source material seriously, and has a comic sidekick in the form of Rob Schneider. There's also an overacting Armand Assante doing the villain.

To me however these aren't drawbacks because as a whole the film is entertaining and Stallone does a pretty cool Judge. There are also some fine supporting actors doing the best they can with the script. But what puts Judge Dredd in the entertaining section in my book is the score by Silvestri, as we all know is the best part of the film.

The other criticism is that Dredd in the comic books never takes off his helmet and in the earlier film Sly does so early on, and that was blasphemy in the eyes of the fans.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    As I recall Stallone took over many aspects of the film once he was onboard.
  12. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - Michael Giacchino

So there's 5 original tracks only, which would make it terribly short, but back in the day when I played the game on PC I assembled a more complete playlist. Actually a lot of tracks of both Medal of Honor and Underground were re-used in the game. So this actually plays a bit like a mix of both those scores with the new material nicely integrated.

Anyway, I love his early style ! cool
  13. The list of adrian messenger Goldsmith

Haven't listened to this on a couple of years, what a fun score!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2017
    DreamTheater wrote
    Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - Michael Giacchino

So there's 5 original tracks only, which would make it terribly short, but back in the day when I played the game on PC I assembled a more complete playlist.

Yes! I must have heard those tracks hundreds of times while playing the game, and it was years later (probably when I saw Lost) when I realised it was all by the same person.