• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2017
    DreamTheater wrote
    Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - Michael Giacchino

So there's 5 original tracks only, which would make it terribly short, but back in the day when I played the game on PC I assembled a more complete playlist. Actually a lot of tracks of both Medal of Honor and Underground were re-used in the game. So this actually plays a bit like a mix of both those scores with the new material nicely integrated.

Anyway, I love his early style ! cool

Allied Assault was the first MOH game for the PC. The producers initially wanted to just use previous music but Giacchino convinced them to have him write five new cues for the game. The Allied Assault cues where recorded during the same sessions as MOH Frontline.

Funny story... I almost blew one of the takes.

"V2's at Remagen" features a reprise of one of my favourite Giacchino themes for the V2 Rocket first heard in the original MOH game. Giacchino kept this a secret from me. He knew how much I loved that theme. So, during the first take of the cue, I was sitting in one of the pews in Bastyr Chapel and just soaked it all in. Then the V2 Rocket theme started playing. Blew my motherfucking mind. The cue ends, I jumped out of the pew, screamed "YEEEEEEEEEEAH!" clapping like an idiot. Got a few chuckles from the orchestra. Then I ran back to the control room, complimented Michael and then asked if I blew the cue. They said no thankfully!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE CIRCLE (Danny Elfman)

Great stuff! I want to hear him do more electronic scores, dammit!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    "V2's at Remagen" features a reprise of one of my favourite Giacchino themes

What track title did they finally use on the soundtrack? Don't always know which ones you're talking about when you refer to your special versions. smile
  1. Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

What track title did they finally use on the soundtrack? Don't always know which ones you're talking about when you refer to your special versions. smile

Must be track 14, "Stopping the V2" from MOH.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. NP: Interview with the Vampire (1995) - Elliot Goldenthal

I forgot how good this score really is.

Next on: Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992) - Wojciech Kilar
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Interview with the Vampire (1995) - Elliot Goldenthal

It is. Great film too. I'd love to hear George Fenton's rejected score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2017 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Interview with the Vampire (1995) - Elliot Goldenthal

Next on: Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992) - Wojciech Kilar

Both brilliant scores, although I have a hard time with some of the more minimalist parts of Kilar.

I can never forget the moment when I had a chat with Goldenthal on a dark staircase of an old building in Krakow 4-5 years ago. As we were sitting there, a boy's choir suddenly entered and walked up the stairs beside us to the second floor where the orchestral rehearsal was. They were there for a performance of INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE. Listening to that interview now, I come off as a tad bit too nervous (I've grown a bit since then), but intriguing nonetheless.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2017 edited
    Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

The cue that I almost ruined on Allied Assualt is called "V2's at Remagen" which was renamed "Schmerzen" on the La La Land box set.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    THE MUMMY - Brian Tyler

After Timeline and The Killing Room, probably only Brian's third score with actual proper narrative structure in his tracks, and enough ideas to keep your attention throughout. Mind you, I listened to a playlist based on the CD presentation, but still, usually he would've lost my attention way before the end of the regular 70 minutes.
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

The cute that I almost ruined on Allied Assualt is called "V2's at Remagen" which was renamed "Schmerzen" on the La La Land box set.

-Erik-

OK, I misunderstood earlier what score you were referring to. But Schmerzen is one of the awesomest pieces of music Michael has ever composed... In the game it is rightly used for the final level, during the most intense combat against the Nazi scum. An unforgettable moment of gaming right there ! punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. NP: The Imitation Game (2014) - Alexandre Desplat

The film just aired on TV hereabouts. I watched the last twenty minutes. A fine film. And a terrific score.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2017
    Southall wrote
    Got sent Giacchino's Spider-Man. One thing's for sure: some people will really like it. Others will really not like it. And I'm convinced that other people will have no strong opinion either way. I know this opinion might be controversial.

who won't like this? sounds fucking awesome! those themes and energy! https://play.spotify.com/album/5lxuugt1 … edium=open
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Hmm, I wonder who won't like this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    only someone who doesn't actually like good film music? mm, thor?
  5. The Hobbit - Howard Shore

The 3 scores, custom playlists each time (around 70 minutes give or take).

So The Unexpected Journey will always be my favorite because it's the closest cousin to the writing style of the LOTR trilogy. The Desolation of Smaug and The Battle of the Five Armies are both fine scores, and I can enjoy them in this shortened form (but don't talk me about the album versions, because there's just too much filler on those). Ultimately though they fall a bit short in the thematic grandeur, and general epic sound. I don't think anyone can argue with that.

And I do utterly adore The Last Goodbye, brilliantly performed by Billy Boyd, and it's the only song of the three that I integrated in my playlist, also because it's the closest to actually being a Middle-Earth inspired tune, like those that appeared in the LOTR scores.
  6. Independence Day - David Arnold

Arnold's masterpiece sucks me right in from the very first track and doesn't let go until the monumental End Credits. It's one of my favorite releases for a complete score of all time. punk
  7. Steven wrote
    Hmm, I wonder who won't like this.

Really?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: BACZYNSKI (Bartosz Chajdecki)

I love this score. Bits of post-minimalism, bits of rock-infused elements. And I think I hear a bit of Goldenthal too.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Shocking revelation follows :

I was completely unaware that today is the real Independence Day for Americans (which I'm not), so for me to having been inspired to put on Arnold's score on a whim, without having made the connection with today begin the 4th of July, well what an amazing coincidence this is !! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Wanted Danny Elfman

More than a bit of John Powell mixed in with lots of Elfman trademarks, this is a tremendously enjoyable action score. In fact I think it's one of the most purely entertaining things he's ever written, an opinion I don't suppose is shared by many.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2017 edited
    Demetris wrote

He loves John Williams, doesn't get much better than that wink

If Thor said he disliked for example Maurice Jarre, Philippe Sarde or Lalo Schifrin in the same way he'd get nowhere near as much stick, all those composers are great and more original than the very fine Michael Giacchino.

Long may our differences cause debate, disdain, celebration and whatnot.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. Thor wrote
    NP: BACZYNSKI (Bartosz Chajdecki)

I love this score. Bits of post-minimalism, bits of rock-infused elements. And I think I hear a bit of Goldenthal too.

I enjoy that one very much.
  10. DreamTheater wrote
    Shocking revelation follows :

I was completely unaware that today is the real Independence Day for Americans (which I'm not), so for me to having been inspired to put on Arnold's score on a whim, without having made the connection with today begin the 4th of July, well what an amazing coincidence this is !! shocked

Happy 4th of July!
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2017
    Southall wrote
    Wanted Danny Elfman

More than a bit of John Powell mixed in with lots of Elfman trademarks, this is a tremendously enjoyable action score. In fact I think it's one of the most purely entertaining things he's ever written, an opinion I don't suppose is shared by many.

I agree with you. It's one of my favorite Elfman scores (and the perfect length).
  11. Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote

He loves John Williams, doesn't get much better than that wink

If Thor said he disliked for example Maurice Jarre, Philippe Sarde or Lalo Schifrin in the same way he'd get nowhere near as much stick, all those composers are great and more original than the very fine Michael Giacchino.

Long may our differences cause debate, disdain, celebration and whatnot.

Well said mate ! beer

With age comes wisdom (for some) and the ability to say to oneself: I like what I like, and you may not like what I like, but that is no concern of me. As long as we respect each others likes and dislikes, there is no problem. If only that train of thought could be extended towards everything going wrong in the world.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Wanted Danny Elfman

Absolutely love it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    jb1234 wrote
    (...) the perfect length).

hmmm
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Spider-Man (Suite) Michael Giacchino

I'm so glad this didn't go to Henry Jackman or Junk XL. A great time to be a Giacchino fan.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Saw the movie tonight (which is excellent - perhaps the best in the MCU). It's Giacchino's strongest score since Tomorrowland. In other words, it's fantastic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2017
    Planet of the Apes Danny Elfman

Outstanding score. Possibly my favourite Elfman/Burton score?