• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : SPIDEY COME HOME - Michael Giacchino

A proper spiderman score. This is really good.

NP. Very entertaining. It carries over some of the feeling the old TV scores had.

Volker

It does, there's some breezy youthful lightness in some tracks more in keeping with Spideys character than the earlier scores by Elfman, Horner, Zimmer.

He chooses the same route he chose for Star Trek - including adapting the original theme - when he linked his music back to Courage and Fred Steiner rather than to Jerry Goldsmith.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2017 edited
    Demetris wrote

WAR OF THE PLANET OF THE APES - Michael Giacchino

Have been playing it since morning, all on repeat. This score further proves why we are so lucky to have Giacchino scoring for the musical genre we love. This is a coherent, mature, and complete score for a change, with clear structures and beautifully bold themes. Absolutely loved it. Especially the end credits suite, it's the top highlight of the album. Overall, hands-down the best score of 2017 (so far).

NP : WAR OF THE PLANET OF THE APES - Michael Giacchino

Not going to disagree with you D, I loved Spidey but this is even better. Man is hitting them out of the ball park. Both scores will be getting more plays from me in the next few days.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2017
    SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING - Michael Giacchino

Despite my ever growing annoyance with this whole Marvel superhero universe thing, this is certainly a good score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote

Have been playing it since morning, all on repeat. This score further proves why we are so lucky to have Giacchino scoring for the musical genre we love. This is a coherent, mature, and complete score for a change, with clear structures and beautifully bold themes. Absolutely loved it. Especially the end credits suite, it's the top highlight of the album. Overall, hands-down the best score of 2017 (so far).

NP : WAR OF THE PLANET OF THE APES - Michael Giacchino

Not going to disagree with you D, I loved Spidey but this is even better. Man is hitting them out of the ball park. Both scores will be getting more plays from me in the next few days.

I'd hate to be someone who intensely dislikes Giacchino's music. Man, sucks to be that guy.
  2. Missing Thor, are you?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Why, did he leave?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Obviously just can't get enough of Norwegians eh Stew wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Norwegians? Hate 'em.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    They love you. kiss

30 years ago this month I had a Norwegian romance. Man but I'm old and decrepit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Girl in every port, eh?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2017 edited
    If only rolleyes slant

I bet Martijn would love to find a girl in every port wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    War... Planet... Apes Michael Giacchino

There's some fine stuff here, but like the first one, the album lets it down a little. I imagine it's superb in the film, but it doesn't entirely hold up on album. I think a 30 minute edit would do this wonders. What's good is brilliant.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    In "the good old days" soundtracks ran at an average 30 minutes. The bad news was that you'd see the film and there would be scoring you couldn't believe didn't make it on to the album.

The good news nowadays is we have the luxury of editing what we want.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    They love you. kiss

30 years ago this month I had a Norwegian romance. Man but I'm old and decrepit.

I think you've told a story or two about that gal. I've forgotten all about it now, unfortunately.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Timmer wrote
    If only rolleyes slant

I bet Martijn would love to find a girl in every port wink

Or port in every girl...

Wait...

coat...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Inception Hans Zimmer

Hans Zimmer was the perfect composer for this film.
  4. Though about 40 years ago I'd give that distinction to John Barry.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I would love to see a 70s version of Inception.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2017 edited
    Raiders of the Lost Ark John Williams

The theme was unfortunately too late to be included on the Voyager space crafts. But it is certainly worthy of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES - Michael Giacchino

While Spider-Man: Homecoming is certainly an accomplished and fun score in its own right, serving the film for which it is made well, it's also (due to the mainstream blockbuster resctrictions of its source) a predictable score which loses its ability to surprise in the second half, when it goes all blockbustery action. Apes, however, captivated me throughout, even though I'd been listening it for the first time somewhere between 1:30 and 3:00 at night. It's a mature score with intelligent orchestrations, melancholic themes and a welcome inventivity (that chilling referencing of Ligeti in its choir!) which is so rare nowadays.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Steven wrote
    War... Planet... Apes Michael Giacchino

There's some fine stuff here, but like the first one, the album lets it down a little. I imagine it's superb in the film, but it doesn't entirely hold up on album. I think a 30 minute edit would do this wonders. What's good is brilliant.

Although I think that holds true for 9 out of 10 score albums nowadays, I genuinely think the duration of this album is justified. Especially the 15 minute slow burning build-up until we're introduced to the first melodic theme in Exodus Wounds, which is such an emotional release especially after the chilling atonality that has gone before. Maybe trim it down a bit in its second half, but even then, if I'm looking at a highlight compilation I'm getting at at least 60 minutes, and then I'm worried about getting certain themes too close after each other.
  5. Wow. I am genuinely surprised to hear so much lavish praise for this new Apes score. I only made it through the first 13 tracks on my first attempt but I was bored by most of it. There was one track in there that I liked, and parts of two others that I thought were the impressive, but there is an awful lot of down time on most of these tracks, which very little going on at near-zero volume. I don't know what the end of the album contains, but this far in I would have to edit this album judiciously to want to come back to it. His Spidey score, on the other hand, is really good, and worked wonderfully in the (very enjoyable) film.
  6. NP: Pride & Prejudice (2005) - Dario Marianelli

I found this CD on the bargain bin and bought it on impulse. It's the first Marianelli in my collection. It's a delightful score. I surly have to further acquaint myself with Marianelli's work.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2017
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Pride & Prejudice (2005) - Dario Marianelli

I found this CD on the bargain bin and bought it on impulse. It's the first Marianelli in my collection. It's a delightful score. I surly have to further acquaint myself with Marianelli's work.

Volker

He's done some damn fine scores, check out Atonement, Beyond The Gates ( the final track of which is my favourite theme of the 00's ), Jane Eyre, The Brothers Grimm, Everest, V For Vendetta and others all available on Spotify.
  7. NP: Moses the Lawgiver (1975) - Ennio Morricone

Oh, Israel, oh-o Israeeeeeel

Incredible score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2017
    Steven wrote
    Demetris wrote

Yeah, it's great. Apparently Matt Reeves, the director, is helming The Batman. I hope he brings Giacchino along and ditches Junk XL.

Didn't know it. Hopefully.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Inception Hans Zimmer

Hans Zimmer was the perfect composer for this film.

And Interstellar. His best score to date, imo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BobdH wrote
    WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES - Michael Giacchino

While Spider-Man: Homecoming is certainly an accomplished and fun score in its own right, serving the film for which it is made well, it's also (due to the mainstream blockbuster resctrictions of its source) a predictable score which loses its ability to surprise in the second half, when it goes all blockbustery action. Apes, however, captivated me throughout, even though I'd been listening it for the first time somewhere between 1:30 and 3:00 at night. It's a mature score with intelligent orchestrations, melancholic themes and a welcome inventivity (that chilling referencing of Ligeti in its choir!) which is so rare nowadays.

Word.

christopher wrote
    Wow. I am genuinely surprised to hear so much lavish praise for this new Apes score. I only made it through the first 13 tracks on my first attempt but I was bored by most of it. There was one track in there that I liked, and parts of two others that I thought were the impressive, but there is an awful lot of down time on most of these tracks, which very little going on at near-zero volume. I don't know what the end of the album contains, but this far in I would have to edit this album judiciously to want to come back to it. His Spidey score, on the other hand, is really good, and worked wonderfully in the (very enjoyable) film.

Did you even let it go past by the initial slow burn and build up? 2nd half of the album. Also did you try to turn the volume up? there's some fantastic orchestrations and arrangements in there. Proper structure and themes for a change. Love it, been playing it non stop since last week.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2017 edited
    I think the way you listen to Apes, or how you enjoy your scores in general, says a lot about your appreciation of it. Giacchino's War for the Planet of the Apes needs to be experienced with your full attention to be enthralled by its slow burning buildup and to sense the emotional release of Exit Wounds, which effect is diminished greatly when you play it in the background whilst doing other stuff. Spider-Man, however, IS suited for that purpose, because of its presence, lightness, and constant flow of big and easy to grasp themes.

Since I listened to Apes in the dark, whilst lying in bed, it was quite an emotional and atmospheric ride, and I can understand you wouldn't get any of that during the day while doing other things. Also, are you someone who generally prefers to listen to scores the one way or the other? And as such, in general, wants to get something else out of your listening experience?