• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorMogens
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2017
    Spider-Man: Homecoming - Michael Giacchino

First listen. This is excellent! Man, I love Giacchino. Can't wait to hear the Apes-score!
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
  1. He really seems unstoppable lately. A very impressive run of form.
  2. Demetris wrote
    Did you even let it go past by the initial slow burn and build up? 2nd half of the album. Also did you try to turn the volume up? there's some fantastic orchestrations and arrangements in there. Proper structure and themes for a change. Love it, been playing it non stop since last week.

BobdH wrote
    I think the way you listen to Apes, or how you enjoy your scores in general, says a lot about your appreciation of it. Giacchino's War for the Planet of the Apes needs to be experienced with your full attention to be enthralled by its slow burning buildup and to sense the emotional release of Exit Wounds, which effect is diminished greatly when you play it in the background whilst doing other stuff. Spider-Man, however, IS suited for that purpose, because of its presence, lightness, and constant flow of big and easy to grasp themes.

Since I listened to Apes in the dark, whilst lying in bed, it was quite an emotional and atmospheric ride, and I can understand you wouldn't get any of that during the day while doing other things. Also, are you someone who generally prefers to listen to scores the one way or the other? And as such, in general, wants to get something else out of your listening experience?

I listened to it in my car on the way to and from work. Usually listening to music during my commute is good. But with this score being as quiet as it is as often as it is, I think the normal freeway noises were drowning out a lot of music. I cranked the volume up really loud, but still had a hard time discerning anything half the time.

I'm playing it again now from where I left off. This time with headphones. Hopefully I have a better experience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Ah yes, this is definitely not one for in the car wink.
  3. Heat - Various Artists

Ever since the film came out much of the music has stayed with me, and with every viewing I became more and more amazed at the finely crafted soundtrack. During all that time it's not the Goldenthal part of the music that stayed with me the most, but the material from Moby, Passengers, Michael Brook and Terje Rypdal, among others. Anyway, it's not a typical soundtrack album with songs inspired by the film, because most of the tunes here are both extremely original and contribute to the brilliant atmosphere in the film. Excellent film too, easily Michael Mann's best.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. ^ That is a tremendous album.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  5. I didn't always think that though, because up until a couple of years ago I didn't think it deserved a place in my collection.

I have fixed that mistake. cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2017 edited
    This is my favourite new theme from Giacchino's Apes score!

I also love the Anakin's Dark Deeds cameo in "Exodus Wounds."

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    christopher wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Did you even let it go past by the initial slow burn and build up? 2nd half of the album. Also did you try to turn the volume up? there's some fantastic orchestrations and arrangements in there. Proper structure and themes for a change. Love it, been playing it non stop since last week.

BobdH wrote
    I think the way you listen to Apes, or how you enjoy your scores in general, says a lot about your appreciation of it. Giacchino's War for the Planet of the Apes needs to be experienced with your full attention to be enthralled by its slow burning buildup and to sense the emotional release of Exit Wounds, which effect is diminished greatly when you play it in the background whilst doing other stuff. Spider-Man, however, IS suited for that purpose, because of its presence, lightness, and constant flow of big and easy to grasp themes.

Since I listened to Apes in the dark, whilst lying in bed, it was quite an emotional and atmospheric ride, and I can understand you wouldn't get any of that during the day while doing other things. Also, are you someone who generally prefers to listen to scores the one way or the other? And as such, in general, wants to get something else out of your listening experience?

I listened to it in my car on the way to and from work. Usually listening to music during my commute is good. But with this score being as quiet as it is as often as it is, I think the normal freeway noises were drowning out a lot of music. I cranked the volume up really loud, but still had a hard time discerning anything half the time.

I'm playing it again now from where I left off. This time with headphones. Hopefully I have a better experience.

Mix is very low esp. during the first 1/3rd of the score. Relisten at home, at good headphones or audio system and quite, enjoy smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  6. Captain Future wrote
    ^ That is a tremendous album.

Perhaps the best musical urban soundscape ever created. I think we could get a Thor-like analysis of how the album works in creating a specific urban atmosphere. Just as the film, with all its human themes, is a love poem to Los Angeles, the soundtrack album is pure urban poetry.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2017 edited
    STEVE JABLONSKY - transformers: last knight

With a LOT and i mean A LOT of Zimmerisms (batman, interstellar (not up to that quality of course, but more like style, a certain chord procession used extensively, and feeling-wise etc) i am loving this. Very dramatic, sentimental, with some gorgeous violin work. Can become a little monotonous, but if listened in portions and you're in the mood, it's very enjoyable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Perhaps the best musical urban soundscape ever created. I think we could get a Thor-like analysis of how the album works in creating a specific urban atmosphere. Just as the film, with all its human themes, is a love poem to Los Angeles, the soundtrack album is pure urban poetry.

I actually did an article on that once. But HEAT remains one of the cornerstones of this particular idiom. Superb integration of original music and existing material -- both on album and in the film.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    STEVE JABLONSKY - transformers: last knight

With a LOT and i mean A LOT of Zimmerisms (batman, interstellar (not up to that quality of course, but more like style and feeling-wise etc) i am loving this. Very dramatic, sentimental, with some gorgeous violin work. Can become a little monotonous, but if listened in portions and you're in the mood, it's very enjoyable.

Is that mood high as fuck? Because otherwise it's incredibly boring.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    heheh a mood for dramatic zimmerisms, there are some good pieces in it smile album needs editing. I am often in this mood lately. I should check myself up!
  7. I feel like you shouldn't get to complain about modern film music and then go on to enjoy a Transformers sequel score (or something like Winter Soldier). dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    I'm finally giving a full listen to Hancock by John Powell. I've listened to the cues "Death and Transfiguration" and "The Moon and the Superhero" plenty of times, but I haven't ever heard the full album.

Also, a question, is "A Cure for Wellness" any good? What does it sound like?
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  8. PawelStroinski wrote
    Captain Future wrote

You said it better than I ever could.

The only (small) complaint I have that the album doesn't feature the film version of the Moby song at the end. Would have loved to have that exact version. Flawless ending to that film.
  9. DreamTheater wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Captain Future wrote

You said it better than I ever could.

The only (small) complaint I have that the album doesn't feature the film version of the Moby song at the end. Would have loved to have that exact version. Flawless ending to that film.

A tremendous film also. I remember that de Niro and Pacino never share the same frame. There was speculation if in a climactic scene both were actually both present or if the scene was edited. (If I remember correctly.) Apparently they were.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    That must've been a short lived rumor wink.

https://goo.gl/images/CsjFBF
    https://goo.gl/images/uhx568
  10. Did I confuse this with some other film? Whatever. Fake news! biggrin
  11. Sad!

The rumors were persistent, but analysing the images in a different aspect ratio showed that they actually were in the frame in certain shots. The framing was so tight, as reminisced by Mann himself, because they set the cameras up (in a real cafe, no less) so precisely that if they moved them a bit you'd see the other camera, as they were using a multi-camera setup.

I might be wrong about who exactly, but I think it was De Niro who asked Pacino not to rehearse the scene, so they were as much in the moment as they could. It was very swiftly made.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Urban legend indeed. They were most definitely sharing the frame and scene as it unfolded.
    I am extremely serious.
  12. The Mission Williams

I don't listen to this nearly enough as frankly I forget it exists but I always enjoy it when I do. Must watch the actual Spielberg directed 'Amazing Stories' episode again, I remember it being pretty good
  13. NP: War For The Planet of The Apes - Michael Giacchino

For me, this is at its best when Giacchino is inventive with the orchestrations in being almost tribal in his tone. The opening couple of tracks are quite interesting in that respect. It then drops off a bit with "Exodus Wounds" and the ending sounds a bit odd with its 60s/John Barry/James Bond feel.

On the basis of the first couple of tracks alone this is an above-average 2017 score for its boldness in its 'less-is-more' attitude.

But I would deduct at least half a star off any review rating for those annoying track title puns.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2017
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    But I would deduct at least half a star off any review rating for those annoying track title puns.

biggrin applause

They bug me a little bit but really there's no harm done, just a bit of geekiness. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2017
    John Chambers wrote
    The Mission Williams

I don't listen to this nearly enough as frankly I forget it exists but I always enjoy it when I do. Must watch the actual Spielberg directed 'Amazing Stories' episode again, I remember it being pretty good

Never liked it, just silly. Music is okay but nothing I reach for with so much better JW to choose.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  14. Thor wrote
    Urban legend indeed. They were most definitely sharing the frame and scene as it unfolded.

It was a problem with the presentation. In Mann's preferred aspect ratio they ARE in the frame.
  15. FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: War For The Planet of The Apes - Michael Giacchino

For me, this is at its best when Giacchino is inventive with the orchestrations in being almost tribal in his tone. The opening couple of tracks are quite interesting in that respect. It then drops off a bit with "Exodus Wounds" and the ending sounds a bit odd with its 60s/John Barry/James Bond feel.

On the basis of the first couple of tracks alone this is an above-average 2017 score for its boldness in its 'less-is-more' attitude.

Dawn's prologue is even less is more. I can't help, but applaud Giacchino for starting a huge blockbuster with what is essentially a bunch of sad piano chords. The scale is bigger in War, but I like how in control he is of it.
  16. NP: Cecil B. DeMille: American Epic - Elmer Bernstein

This is an excellent recording. The orchestra does a good job of recreating Bernstein's style and there's such a varied series of cues that it maintains the interest throughout. A little-known title, but a very worthwhile listen.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2017 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Thor wrote

It was a problem with the presentation. In Mann's preferred aspect ratio they ARE in the frame.

I can imagine the rumor picking up when the film was released to the home video market. In its theatrical presentation with the 2.35:1 aspect ratio you can clearly see both in the frame, but then it got to video, which meant the only way you could see the film was in its cropped 4:3 state. Also, without the internet being what it is today, access to those pictures of them all on set was limited. So you can see how those rumors spread (a juicy bit of gossip at that, always popular at parties).