• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2017
    And on spotify there's another 'dunkirk (main movie theme)' so there's 2 cues from the score now.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. I think I know what they were after in this score. And not many people are gonna like it.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. And the Main Theme is a cover.
  3. Demetris wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I feel like you shouldn't get to complain about modern film music and then go on to enjoy a Transformers sequel score (or something like Winter Soldier). dizzy

i am not complaining about modern film music. I did in the past while it was in the process of changing. Now i have long accepted it's changed for ever, and went the 'fuck this, delete this, ignore him and all of his works, don't want to listen to this, don't care about that' route of things, focusing only on the outcome of composers i know i like and listening to new stuff and new composers either via spotify (and either get hooked on, or ignore completely) or via new movies i watch frequently. Threw the shit out, focusing on the good stuff i love and there's a lot of it.

That's a pretty good attitude to have. smile

That is a good attitude to separate the weed from the chaff so to speak.

Getting older (tastes evolving), not enough time for listening, way too much music to choose from, the constant desire to listen to the old good stuff, the aggravation one gets from getting increasingly disappointed with blandness.

I know what I'm talking about. cheesy

And I should clarify that I don't listen to new scores anymore ! I have no need to be honest.

But there are several very good new scores...you're missing out, really.

I understand that, but I simply don't have the time or motivation anymore to check them out. I have enough music to last me two lifetimes already. Plus there's still so much of the old stuff I have not yet discovered. wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. Under Siege 2: Dark Territory - Basil Poledouris

Talking about action music in the other thread... There's nothing of stellar Starship Troopers or Conan quality, but man this score sure is fun. Many recognizable Poledouris traits yes, but then the man knew how to write damn good action music centered around a memorable theme.

At 70 minutes it remains a good listen. A most welcome blind buy to be honest.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2017 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I think I know what they were after in this score. And not many people are gonna like it.

Interesting take on the score and movie from someone who saw it:

edited to add:

Anže Grčar > ‎Filmtracks Scoreboard

Finally saw Dunkirk at IMAX theatre premiere in Croatia and, as an immense lover and die hard fanatic of Nolan's film work, I was thoroughly impressed by Nolan's impressionist, emotionally arbitrary handling of the subject, executing the film on the basis of the triptych structure, showing each part from a subjective personal perspective, thus making an experience much more grounded and visceral for a cinema-goer, while carefully avoiding the cliches and melodramatic passages of the similar war themed films and thus creating a non-passive cinematic work that greatly benefits from the extraordinary, organic hand-held based 70mm analogue cinematography from Hoyte van Hoytema and Zimmer's phenomenal score.

So, considering Zimmer's achievement, it is becoming increasingly clear that this is the type of score that will probably draw out a certain amount of negative and overly cynical reactions on this board, but, as far as my personal musical tastes go and considering the fact that a large portion of my primary personal enjoyment more often lies in a non-melodic/non-lyrical themed works, I for one enjoyed Zimmer's more atonal, psychologically oppressive, score that fits Nolan's vision of the war themed film like a glove; you have to realize, first as audience members and then as listeners, that Dunkirk is not a film that would try to act as an emotionally manipulative piece that would tend to drove out forced, two-dimensional flat reactions, but is rather completely ignoring of the melodramatic clutter that plays into the viewer's heartstrings. Zimmer's intelligent nightmarish accompaniment to Hoytema's intense visualization has a vibrant, non stop heartbeat to it and exists solely to enhance and add up to the film's physical action happening on screen and not to underscore the emotional inner flow of the scenes in a conventional sense of the word. The thing that’s clear from hearing the whole complete score is that Zimmer is drawing heavily on digetic noises and sounds inherent to what’s going on in the story - it's a radical approach that pushes the envelope from conventional organic based film scores to purposely overstepping and overreaching into an almost mechanical sound design territory, albeit it is twisted in a very Remote Control like way. At the end, Zimmer does not stir the emotional pot, but he doesn't want to - in a genre where other mainstream war films monumentally fail when they become way to emotionally manipulative (looking at you War Horse), Nolan and Zimmer are better than that: rejecting the notion of drawing out forced reactions, settling for viewer's personal impressions that can be as varied and as colorful as the audience will let them to be.

Definitely my favourite film of the year so far, one of Nolan's career best, while Zimmer's score lurks on the second spot just behind Kurzel's Alien Covenant, even without a full album listen.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/971955696 … 9382279678

I think I knew too what they went for I can understand that it will need so many repeated listens to digest and comprehend smile
  5. Can you PM me or quote here? Can't acess the post.
  6. NP: Earth: One Amazing Day - Alex Heffes

Billed as a sequel to the BBC documentary series, EARTH, this upcoming documentary seems to be a montage of all the best bits from the BBC's natural world documentary output for the last few years - there's a cue on the album, "Iguanas vs. Snakes" and the footage featured in the trailer seems culled from PLANET EARTH II.

But the score's a new composition from Heffes, and it's a lovely piece of music. Much more intimate than the recent PLANET EARTH II.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. Yeah, I thought that one was good.

I've been listening to RiME, a video game score by David Garcia Diaz. It's quite lovely, though very samey after a while, and it's a long album.
  8. Ode To Billy Joe - Michel Legrand's stuff complements Bobbie Gentry's song well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2017
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Can you PM me or quote here? Can't acess the post.

edited it to add above, thanks
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Earth: One Amazing Day - Alex Heffes

Billed as a sequel to the BBC documentary series, EARTH, this upcoming documentary seems to be a montage of all the best bits from the BBC's natural world documentary output for the last few years - there's a cue on the album, "Iguanas vs. Snakes" and the footage featured in the trailer seems culled from PLANET EARTH II.

But the score's a new composition from Heffes, and it's a lovely piece of music. Much more intimate than the recent PLANET EARTH II.

Found it too fluffy and incoherent for my tastes. some nicely constructed musical ideas here and there and a lot of careless underscore.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I think i realize what they wanted to do with Dunkirk, listening to it more and reading the film screening reviews and extensive score/film analysis. Have to watch for myself too. But i doubt it's something you can sit down and listen to at home. It's a tough, intense and tension-building score. Unconventional.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Valerian Alexandre Desplat

This is excellent. One of the year's best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Valerian is released?!
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  9. Yeah, put him back in his cage!
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Now Playing - Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

My most anticipated score of the year, finally out! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Aidabaida wrote
    Now Playing - Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

My most anticipated score of the year, finally out! punk

Listening now. Fucking amazing!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Srsly though. People who don't like Giacchino and Desplat should be banned from the forum, for life biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Have anyone in mind? wink
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Love early Giacchino, don't like later Giacchino (as much).

Desplat leaves me cold.

Go ahead, ban me ! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's you and me out in the cold, Gilles! wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Rotpota

Doyle

I had forgotten how good this is. Doyle doing Zimmer still sounds odd, but it hangs together well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2017 edited
    Rotpota is a funny word, Southall.
  11. Thor wrote
    It's you and me out in the cold, Gilles! wink

Well yes, we have always been the odd ones out. wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2017 edited
    NP: VALERIAN etc. (Alexandre Desplat)

What a f....ng noisefest! Percussion galore. Bunch of big chord leaps, but weakly defined melody lines. Mickey-mousing. I did not care for this at all, typical Desplat "emptiness". Perhaps one or two tracks I liked, like "Pearls on Mul", but even they were rather lacklustre.

As a big Besson fan, I'm looking forward to the movie, though.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2017
    NP: THE ZERO THEOREM (George Fenton)

I like this score (and film) quite a bit. Cute to hear Fenton do electronica in a few tracks, then there's some very romantic orchestral music alongside more experimental chamber music pieces. Eclectic, yes, but painting Gilliam's universe in broad strokes. Shame the movie and score went more or less unnoticed a few years back.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2017 edited
    DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES - Michael Giacchino

Revisiting this in light of War for the Planet of the Apes. I'm hoping the overall very positive response to the latter will get people to get back to this one as well, since it's such a great work (and i remember it was met with quite some negativity upon release, probably to do with its admittedly long running time).

At its best in both its moments of quiet intimacy and huge chaos, Giacchino always counterpoints his jungle rhythms and wild simian orchestral atonality with structure and themes, which makes this such a well put together work of storytelling. Also love how inspired it is by Ligeti, but also reminds quite a bit of John Williams' The Lost World.

Also, it's such a shame both director Matt Reeves and Giacchino didn't get to start this thing with Rise of the Planet of the Apes, that first film now seemingly that forgettable odd one out. Would've been great if Giacchino had the chance to start this thing, to build his soundscape from the beginning gradually to its conclusion. Patrick Doyle's effort is fine, but nothing more if you ask me - knowing what Giacchino later did with it, his is way too pedestrian for me. I revisited it a bit as well, but stopped as it jarred so much with Giacchino's work. And I'm a huge fan of his (earlier) work, I consider his Frankenstein to be a flat out masterpiece.
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets - Alexandre Desplat

I'm liking this a lot. Always enjoy hearing Desplat's detailed orchestrations. The themes are a little more elusive than I'd like but that's not unexpected given early interviews.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    NP: VALERIAN etc. (Alexandre Desplat)

What a f....ng noisefest! Percussion galore. Bunch of big chord leaps, but weakly defined melody lines. Mickey-mousing. I did not care for this at all, typical Desplat "emptiness". Perhaps one or two tracks I liked, like "Pearls on Mul", but even they were rather lacklustre.

As a big Besson fan, I'm looking forward to the movie, though.

How much down the score did you proceed before writing this? did you listen to it all?