• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Not my favourite score or film either. It's a remake I recall? Never saw the original flick.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2017
    Captain Future wrote
    Not my favourite score or film either. It's a remake I recall? Never saw the original flick.

Volker

Yes, of Victor Fleming's A GUY NAMED JOE (1943). Never seen it either. But Spielberg is a devout Fleming fan; his greatest tribute is probably the end of WAR HORSE, which is a pure ode to GONE WITH THE WIND in terms of visual look.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2017 edited
    Collage - James Horner

The 22 minute suite only.

Man, it breaks my heart that the man still had tons of passion in his own heart if he still could come up with something like this. Not as inspired or focused as The Horsemen but I love it nonetheless. The man was a master of melody and at times such as these I miss having him on this world.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. PawelStroinski wrote
    christopher wrote
    Is there an album of this commercially available or do you have a promo or something?

"Recording sessions" implies a leaked bootleg.

yep sadly not commercial available
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. NP: The Peanuts Greatest Hits - Vince Guaraldi Trio

Classy, relaxed jazz.

cool Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2017 edited
    NP: BORN ON THE 4TH OF JULY (John Williams/various)

Soooo brilliant -- both in and out of the movie. It's really quite pointless to post my kudos for these Williamses as I go through his filmography, because we'll have to skip ahead to the late 2000s before I have some issues.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2017
    NP: MURDER IN THE FIRST (Christopher Young)

Taking a break from all the Williamses with Young's greatest.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. yeah

Great film too. Kevin Bacon and Gary Oldman give riveting performances.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2017 edited
    Recent obsession: Die Hard Trilogy Michael Kamen

These are not exactly scores that will translate well into a concert setting (if at all), and few are likely to enjoy them outside the movies. But this is the sort of thing I love these days; no sugar, just raw, tense action music. These are among the best action/thriller scores ever written for being not just exciting when they need to be, but also very clever. Countless little nods and easter eggs are buried within them, referencing his own themes and motifs, songs and classical music, all the while being incredibly effective in each scene.

No civilian will be able to hum McClane's theme off the top of their head, but to everyone familiar with the films, they know it when they hear it in those films. The personality Kamen imbued these films with with the tone of his music is what average action music lacks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2017
    Never cared for any of the DIE HARD scores, even if I can appreciate them in the films themselves. 99% grating noise. I really only like Kamen when he's all lush and melodic.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    I can appreciate them in the films themselves. 99% grating noise.
  5. Coincidentally I've been listening to them a lot in the last few weeks too, such great intricately detailed writing for the orchestra that has real attitude and muscle.

Similarly I'm currently listening to:

Demolition Man Goldenthal

Can you imagine a contemporary big budget action film having a score like this?! Great listen!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote

Album vs. film, Steven, album vs. film. The DIE HARDs are like the TERMINATORs to me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2017 edited
    Steven wrote
    Recent obsession: Die Hard Trilogy Michael Kamen

No civilian will be able to hum McClane's theme off the top of their head, but to everyone familiar with the films, they know it when they hear it in those films. The personality Kamen imbued these films with with the tone of his music is what average action music lacks.

The same statement can be applied to Lethal Weapon. How each character had its own instrument, and the fun in those scores is when all those instruments interact with each other, you can often times hear the instruments and the themes having an argument with each other, especially with Leo Getz in the mix. biggrin Also the action music is tense, ballsy, in your face, clearly structured to hit those sync points, basically everything current action music is not. Kamen was a genius, though I only recognized this when the man was already a couple of years dead.

Have not regretted buying that LW box-set.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote

Album vs. film, Steven, album vs. film. The DIE HARDs are like the TERMINATORs to me.

Riiiight.
  6. Slipstream - Elmer Bernstein

Call me one of the lucky few, because it's truly a gem, a very powerful and thoughtful composition, full of those fanfares and uplifting flourishes I hold so dearly. I had ordered this blind, knowing nothing whatsoever about film and score, and this is where luck came into play: it was shipped to me before it was pulled due to legal reasons. Still in limbo somewhere, and that's a crying shame. sad
  7. Halo 3: ODST - Marty O'Donnell & Mike Salvatori

Thematically not a sequel to my beloved Halo 3 but I love it almost as much, with some interesting stylistic choices, such as the saxophone and guitar incorporated to give another kind of atmosphere to the music. I totally dig the rock influences in some of the cues.
  8. Steven wrote
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote

Riiiight.

Seriously. The Die Hard scores aren't exactly easy listening but to put them on the same level as Terminator? shocked
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2017
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote

Riiiight.

Seriously. The Die Hard scores aren't exactly easy listening but to put them on the same level as Terminator? shocked

I understood what Thor meant, it's that the scores work perfectly in their respective movies. The Terminator 1 & 2 scores are excellent but I have never listened to them as a stand alone listen.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. Yeah I agree, but I think that parts at least of the Die Hard scores are great listening divorced from the film. With Terminator it's really only the bits containing the theme that are listenable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2017
    Timmer wrote
    I understood what Thor meant, it's that the scores work perfectly in their respective movies. The Terminator 1 & 2 scores are excellent but I have never listened to them as a stand alone listen.

yeah
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Timmer wrote

Never? Ever? shocked

I think I listen to T2 once every year. Sometimes twice a year...

Some of the most fun I can have with a pure synth-based score.

And the latest The Terminator release has been brilliantly remastered / earlier issues fixed. I don't hold it in high esteem like I do T2 but I still like what Fiedel did. At least he wrote an iconic theme that will be remembered for a long time, at least until the machines take over.
  11. The Mask of Zorro - James Horner

To have adventure music of this magnitude in a film these days would require a serious change in thinking by studios and the guys in charge. And also some better composers.

One of my faves by the man and IMO the best of both Zorro's.
  12. T1 > T2
  13. Quod erad demonstrandum.
  14. HALO WARS 2 - Gordy Haab, Brian Trifon, Brian Lee White

Okay, a second attempt to get something out of it, as a big fan of the Halo franchise and its music.
    I made it through the first 10 tracks at which point I had to turn it off. By far the weakest soundtrack I've heard come out for a Halo game. No structure, no thematic hooks, no good melodies, no nothing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2017
    Nonsense. It's a ballsy, well-orchestrated action score. It's fantastic, and it's the best Halo score I've heard. (Except for the second half, which I assume is written by the non-Haab composers.)
  15. Steven wrote
    Nonsense. It's a ballsy, well-orchestrated action score.

Yes.

Steven wrote
    it's the best Halo score I've heard.

No.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2017
    How do you know what I've heard? wink
    •  
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2017 edited
    Ballsy? I was seriously scratching my head at how weak, artificial and mundane it all sounds. It doesn't have any thematic base, it's inconsistent and with no personality whatsoever. Have you even heard O'Donnell & Salvatori's music for the main series (Halo 1,2,3,ODST and Reach)? All those have much more character and ballsy-ness than this latest one I'm afraid.

Even the first Halo Wars' score (by different composers) was more interesting.