• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Hans Zimmer - Rain Man

One score that will be completely overlooked in the whole flame war Dunkirk is gonna get.

wink
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2017 edited
    biggrin applause
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2017
    I'm seeing Dunkirk tomorrow. Besides the submarine cue it'll be my first listen to the score. I'll see how I feel about it later tomorrow.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Jaws John Williams

One score that will be completely overlooked in the whole flame war Dunkirk is gonna get.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Jaws John Williams

I don't see why not? It's got boats and the shark is a metaphor for the Nazi menace, that qualifies it in my book.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    In the future, we will each ask where were you when the flame war hit?
  2. Yes, and Quint is a metaphor for the British Empire that goes down the jaws while Brody represents the US rising to super power status. smile
  3. Chrissie Watkins = Poland
    Ben Gardner = France
    Alex Kintner = The Netherlands

Compelling interpretation. Quint obvious if you think about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2017 edited
    DUNKIRK - Hans Zimmer

Wow. That was intense.

This left quite an impression on me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE SECRET OF NIMH (Jerry Goldsmith)

I've had this forever, but never really been able to get into it. It just stays there, "floating" with pretty textures and/or rhytmical figures, but never really going anywhere, IMO (except the main theme, which is OK). But I keep giving it another chance.

Damn, I must have been, what, 13 (?) when I saw this thing in theatre and was still blown away by it. I'm sure if you'd have been 13, getting nothing but cute Disney mice all your life and then seeing this on the big screen, watching mean rats and heroic mice fighting to death with swords, and magic shit, psychotic cats and terrifying owls all around you while the speakers hit you with Goldsmith's intense action scoring (never mind the handful of beautiful themes!!!), you'd judge this one differently.

It doesn't help, of course, that the order of tracks is terribly mixed up.

Try the film order:
    01. Main Title
    02. Allergic Reaction
    03. Flying Dreams Lullaby
    04. The Tractor
    05. No Thanks
    06. Step Inside My House
    07. The Story of Nimh
    08. Escape from Nimh
    09. Moving Day
    10. The House Rising
    11. End Title
    12. Flying Dreams

While I love the whole score immensely (I must have listened several hundred times to the old LP), the first action and "horror" tracks can seem a bit chaotic (but they are not, if you pair them with what's happening on screen).

But about two minutes into The Story of Nimh, the score starts to really dig its teeth into the more epic, astounding part of the story, where you finally start to realise what the frak is going on here, and from then on it's a relentless, fantastic scorefeast.

And I think the whole "Moving Day" scene gave me the first cinematic goosebumps. Ever. And it was the year I really "discovered" scores for me, so there you go.
  4. BobdH wrote
    DUNKIRK - Hans Zimmer

Wow. That was intense.

Could you expand on this impression?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2017
    BobdH wrote
    DUNKIRK - Hans Zimmer

Wow. That was intense.

Thor will like it. you know, to keep up with the hipster tradition wink is the movie good? will watch it in a week or so.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  5. Well, I don't hate it. In fact, I do see quite a bit of value to it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Saw the movie this afternoon D, it's brilliant. Very intense, superbly filmed and a distinct lack of cgi to my eyes, the aerial combat sequence in stunningly shot. Images of this film stayed with me and I can't say that about too many recent films.

Score works well but I won't be listening to it outside the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    thanks man, eager to watch it too. huge Nolan fan here. heard the score today 3-4 times, nothing i'd revisit again on disc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    PawelStroinski wrote
    BobdH wrote
    DUNKIRK - Hans Zimmer

Wow. That was intense.

Could you expand on this impression?

Certainly. I just didn't feel like expanding on it in the moment, since I was quite struck by it.

First of all, I do not consider Dunkirk a regular score from a musical point of view, and will refrain from judging this work in that way. Hans (and Balfe, Wallfisch, etc.) created Dunkirk the score to support the visuals and the harrowing experience Nolan had in mind, and that is its sole purpose. The score taken out of context gave me an experience which could best be described as the gut emotional reaction of Dunkirk from an aural standpoint. I listened to it at night, in the dark, on my bed, concentrating only on the music and what it made me feel. After it was over I stared vacantly into the dark for quite a while.

If you haven't heard the score on its own yet, but what you no doubt know by now, is how Hans designed it solely to build tension and to immerse the audience in the action, doing so by creating a soundscape of engine sounds or sounds that are similar to it to mix with the sounddesign, while also being extremely minimalistic. The score as a result plays like the sound of fighter planes building into a maelstrom of raw tension, over and over again to hypnotising effect, balanced with more introspective moments of soundscaping that are best described as the aural representation of being shellshocked - long lines of synthesizer, with laid on top of that the sound of a lone trumpet (the solemn one you typically hear to honour the soldiers), but instead sound sampled with long lines, which represents for me the main theme of the film (heard in Shivering Soldier, and returning in Home (I believe) and at the end of End Credits. The sounds in these "drones" (don't like the term though, since it has such a negative connotation) are at times quite beautiful though.

Of course, this could be considered as the apex of the working relationship between Nolan and Zimmer, in which score blends with sound in a way they've been experimenting with in the past and now to maximum effect, but it's also a very carefully constructed sonic experience that should be valued as such. Hans did not simply throw this together and what he did create is a sound palette that is riveting in its own way, but is also quite a strong blow in the stomach. It's an exhausting, draining experience. Deliberately. When the emotional payoff comes, in the form of Wallfishes contributions (Elgar's Variation, as first heard at the end of Home, and in full in Variation 15), it's an emotional release that is well earned and left me speechless.

I haven't seen the film yet, but I've gotten a pretty good impression now of what to expect from it. And though I've felt a bit weird about the film before (with all the 'experience it in IMAX', summer blockbuster talk) how it might've been selling the war as some kind of adventure film, after hearing the music it's quite clear this is meant to be a hard hitting experience and true to the fact that 'war is hell'.
  6. I don't think I have to write my own long post anymore, since your opinion matches mine quite a lot.

About the trumpet motif/theme. The solemn, anti-heroic theme is a return to the bleak anti-heroic lone trumpet Hans first adopted in Tears of the Sun. It might be an indirect nod to The Thin Red Line as it is quite similar to Charles Ives' An Unanswered Question which the film (sans the flutes) uses in the aftermath of the village assault.

So if the whole score creates a somehow psychedelic atmosphere of hell, this trumpet motif is as anti-war as Hans ever got. It's an attempt at creating an immersive experience of being at war, which was the reason why I listened to and mentioned Black Hawk Down as a reference point on this board. While it's a different soundscape, it's the same function Nolan and Hans tried to fulfill.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Demetris wrote
    BobdH wrote
    DUNKIRK - Hans Zimmer

Wow. That was intense.

is the movie good? will watch it in a week or so.

No idea, as I haven't seen it yet. Still debating about IMAX, or the 70MM showing which will come to The Netherlands in about a month. By the way, this is also not a score I will be returning to often (or at all, in its complete album presentation, perhaps), but I can appreciate the work for what it is in its own right.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I don't think I have to write my own long post anymore, since your opinion matches mine quite a lot.

About the trumpet motif/theme. The solemn, anti-heroic theme is a return to the bleak anti-heroic lone trumpet Hans first adopted in Tears of the Sun. It might be an indirect nod to The Thin Red Line as it is quite similar to Charles Ives' An Unanswered Question which the film (sans the flutes) uses in the aftermath of the village assault.

So if the whole score creates a somehow psychedelic atmosphere of hell, this trumpet motif is as anti-war as Hans ever got. It's an attempt at creating an immersive experience of being at war, which was the reason why I listened to and mentioned Black Hawk Down as a reference point on this board. While it's a different soundscape, it's the same function Nolan and Hans tried to fulfill.

Interesting points. There were moments in which I almost regarded Dunkirk as the flip side of the same coin of The Thin Red Line. Which seems like an odd statement, since they differ so wildly, but at the same time they're both scores that put you in a kind of hypnotic state, almost of contemplation on war, TRL being introspective search of the soul and Dunkirk about the nature of combat and warfare, albeit both by wildly differing means.

I also think Dunkirk is in a way a continuation of techniques he started doing in his 'jam sessions' on BHD, thinking of cues like Tribal War and Chant, in which he tried to capture the brutal energy of warfare. However, that was ultimately aided by the more 'exotic' flavours of Mogadishu and a more broad emotional palette of the film (combining traditional music with the more obvious heroic Americana of Leave No Man Behind).

NP:
    UNANSWERED QUESTION - Charles Ives
    SHIVERING SOLDIER (DUNKIRK) - Hans Zimmer

You're right, there's a clear resemblance here.
  7. Actually, I think it's more of an expansion of the hellish world of Synchrotone and the final sampled bit of Hunger. I mean, if you look at it, in Black Hawk Down Hans explored the very experience of being in the middle.

Sure, a lot of people on my message board think that they should go the Saving Private Ryan route (no score for battle scenes), but I think in terms of immersion, pure immersion, Nolan's masters are Ridley Scott (Blade Runner was famously the visual inspiration behind Batman Begins) and Terrence Malick (The Thin Red Line was the film that made him realize the power of the audiovisual aspect of film, especially sound). You could argue that Hans, having worked with both of his masters, was an "easy" composer choice, especially the choice of Thin Red Line (which Nolan wanted in Inception).

I have to see the film yet (early next week), but from the score album I would say... in philosophy there is this method called phenomenology. Throw away ("put in brackets") everything you assume and all your biases and analyze the pure experience. That's what Hans does in his war scores. He looks for the core of the experience. What does it mean to be in war. What it feels like. This is his inner pacifism speaking and in that way Malick shaped him forever. And sometimes he does that at the experience of the scope of the events. But considering the war films he scored, that's fine. Tears of the Sun is different, but it's more of an action thriller and it's more concerned with atrocities anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Actually, I think it's more of an expansion of the hellish world of Synchrotone and the final sampled bit of Hunger. I mean, if you look at it, in Black Hawk Down Hans explored the very experience of being in the middle.

Ah, yes, those were probably what I had in mind (don't have the actual music at hand, and ever since that score's release I keep mixing those track titles up).

As for the rest: yup, I agree. Nolan previously stated his love for Nolan in a promotional video for The Tree of Life, and how his style influences him on all his projects, so that's a clear connection.
  8. I have to tell that to a friend of mine. He HATES The Tree of Life with a passion (claims it ruined a date for him), but he's a huge Nolan fanboy. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Spider-Man: Homecoming Michael Giacchino

God I love this. No question is this my favourite Spiderman score out of the 6 we have to choose from.
  9. I'll get back to this score after I deal with the Apes review, hopefully in two weeks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I have to tell that to a friend of mine. He HATES The Tree of Life with a passion (claims it ruined a date for him), but he's a huge Nolan fanboy. biggrin

You can send him this: https://youtu.be/UVUXDn6hCY4
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2017 edited
    Steven wrote

God I love this. No question is this my favourite Spiderman score out of the 6 we have to choose from.

I'd agree this is the best Spidey score though I enjoy Horner's Spidey score more it just isn't a proper Spidey score. Giacchino captures what Spidey should be.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yes, exactly. Horner's score is dramatic; Giacchino's is fun. Elfman's are fun too, but they suffer from the typical meandering, 'I heard it but I can't remember it' music that plagues so many of Elfman's scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Interesting. I think Giacchino's Spidey score is middle of the road. Elfman's and Young's efforts, IMO, are far superior and much more memorable to me. I might even go as far and say that I prefer Zimmer's effrot over Giacchino's. :shrug:

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2017
    Steven wrote

mine too, of all the spidey scores. this and horner's. easy decision smile

about dunkirk: i think we are overanalyzing the turd to death when even zimmer seems in some interview snippets etc to not really like it himself, and nolan jumping in to defend the score and outline how he wanted the score to sound like that and it was by his strict instructions that dunkirk the score came out like this. if it was by another composer , a medium name for instance, we would listen 2 times, discuss perhaps 1 time in a mention in np thread and move onto the next one wink just because it's by z and nolan that doesn't mean we shall be writing essays about everything they release wink interstellar is the best fruit of their collaboration so far and i doubt they will ever surpass it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2017
    And the wallfisch, lorne etc sentimental contributions are medium-level synthy string pieces that slip your memory once they stop playing, so nothing to write home about either wink