• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Demetris wrote
    dario marianelli - agora

such a powerful movie and score, loved every bit of it and often revisit (the score). heartfelt use of female vocals (which are not in a cliched way for once) and tender strings, performing the 2 powerful and touching themes plus some fascinating and lush arrangements for orchestra and choir. And duduk is nice too, again without overdoing it or in a cliched way. Compare all the elements in this score, how they come together coherent , meaningful and well-metered ,not in a excess. Very much unlike to the same media used in a generic RC score wink i miss Marianelli, it's been since 2012 and anna karenina that i've heard something this good and inspired. He's kinda out of form i feel. Or is he struggling to find space for orchestral works in this electronics' crap - often dominated field? if you hear the latest philippe rombi (philippe rombi ffs!) score you will understand what i am saying smile

Amen to this. I can't believe his name is on something so generic and unpleasant. It's like putting on a new Morricone release and having it sound like something created by Lorne Balfe's errand boy on a synthesizer on his break from work.

Agora is an absolutely amazing score (and film too)..."If I Could Just Unravel This" is one of my all-time favorite cues. Hauntingly beautiful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2017
    Continuing on my Dario marianelli day, playing hummingbird now. haven't seen the movie but this is a welcome change of aural landscape, on how to do a modern thriller score with electronics while at the same maintaining melody, themes, rhythm and proper structure. Very much unlike the awfully messy and noisy turn the music of Laurent eyquem's has taken since his gorgeous first 2 orchestral scores (copperhead and Winnie Mandela).
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yes, haunting is an adjective I'd use as well for agora, both film and Score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2017 edited
    Demetris, do you always feel the need when you sing the praises of something to counterbalance it with mentioning something you hate? Y'know, to not sound like too positive a person? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, our world is full of contradictions otherwise it's boring. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And boy that Philippe rombi new score and everything Laurent put out after the first 2 hits are unlistenable! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    n.p. Dario marianelli - jane Eyre

Agora's (similar) passionate main theme, with the sound of atonement. Love this, gorgeous score. Give this man more projects... Joe Wright's departure from his long time collaboration with marianelli for Pan, was a huge let down for me. Hope it's just temporary.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Demetris wrote
    Joe Wright's departure from his long time collaboration with marianelli for Pan, was a huge let down for me. Hope it's just temporary.

Well, Dario Marianelli is currently listed for Darkest Hour, which is Joe Wright's new film about Churchill, so it seems Pan was just a one off because of the nature of that project. Certainly good news and since this is, historically and all, more in keeping with Wright's successful collaborations with Marianelli I'm confident this won't suddenly change again.

Big fan of Marianelli as well - Atonement, Jane Eyre, Anna Karenina, all masterful, and then the way Karenina's score is woven into the film!, interacting with the visuals. Such intricate musical way of filmmaking.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Great news! Also spot on and I completely agree with all you say above.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    And I do with all the positive stuff you said on Marianelli beer
  2. Morgan Joylighter wrote

It's like putting on a new Morricone release and having it sound like something created by Lorne Balfe's errand boy on a synthesizer on his break from work.

Hm. Whenever I read a statement like this I wonder if the one making the statement ever tried to create a sound or a layered texture of sound from scratch with a synthesizer. Not playing presets or samples. You have the basic sound of the machine, you have an idea where to get to and then: filters, envelopes, effects ... of you go.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    n.p. Dario marianelli - kudo and the two strings

This man's talent got no limit. Anyone seen this? Gorgeous orchestral score, bold theme, of course a lot of exotic eastern colours, woodwinds and out of this world melodies, gotta love the ethereal and dreamy adventure tone of it all. movie any good? Btw this is how kung fu panda scores could sound like if they weren't,..crap wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Memoirs of a Geisha: Suite for Cello and Orchestra John Williams

I prefer this to the actual score (however, it's nice to have both).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Dario marianelli - pride and prejudice

Much more classical sounding, the score that started it all for Dario. Not on the same level as the other 3 scores, nor as original but certainly still enjoyable esp if you like classical music and violin.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Dario marianelli - pride and prejudice

Much more classical sounding, the score that started it all for Dario. Not on the same level as the other 3 scores, nor as original but certainly still enjoyable esp if you like classical music and violin.

On a Dario Marianelli binge eh D. cool

One of my favourite composers currently working though I have to say that one score I was really looking forward to was EVEREST ( most here will know of my affinity for mountain life ) a score that should have supplied plenty of scope for epic scoring turned out incredibly disappointing sounding like an RC score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yes, I am with you. Very generic, tiresome score. Passable at best. After Jane Eyre and Anna Karenina he hasn't put out anything worthy of his name so far. Hummingbird is good but also kinda generic. Much better than the Everest misfire though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    n.p. Dario marianelli - jane Eyre

Agora's (similar) passionate main theme, with the sound of atonement. Love this, gorgeous score. Give this man more projects... Joe Wright's departure from his long time collaboration with marianelli for Pan, was a huge let down for me. Hope it's just temporary.

This is my favourite Marianelli, by far. I also think the film is the best adaptation of the story that I've seen.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    n.p. Dario marianelli - kudo and the two strings

This man's talent got no limit. Anyone seen this? Gorgeous orchestral score, bold theme, of course a lot of exotic eastern colours, woodwinds and out of this world melodies, gotta love the ethereal and dreamy adventure tone of it all. movie any good? Btw this is how kung fu panda scores could sound like if they weren't,..crap wink

I severely disliked this. Both film and score.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Steven wrote
    Memoirs of a Geisha: Suite for Cello and Orchestra John Williams

I prefer this to the actual score (however, it's nice to have both).

Not me... the suite is so different from the score's thematic foundation, that I have a harder time to enjoy it on its own merits. But yeah different interpretations, absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Then again, I only love the first half of Memoirs on album, the second half doesn't captivate me as much.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    David Arnold - amazing grace

The title perfectly describes the subtle, elegant score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Demetris wrote
    David Arnold - amazing grace

The title perfectly describes the subtle, elegant score.

And an excellent movie too.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Timmer wrote
    One of my favourite composers currently working though I have to say that one score I was really looking forward to was EVEREST ( most here will know of my affinity for mountain life ) a score that should have supplied plenty of scope for epic scoring turned out incredibly disappointing sounding like an RC score.

I keep revisiting that final track though. Epilogue is absolutely gorgeous and vintage Dario.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BobdH wrote
    Timmer wrote

I keep revisiting that final track though. Epilogue is absolutely gorgeous and vintage Dario.

Yes it does have some good moments. I suspect there may have been pressure to give a score sounding as drone like as this. Left to his own devices I expect this would be a lot better.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    n.p. david Arnold - last of the dogmen

absolutely epic and superb. where is this man nowadays? up to anything?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    n.p. david Arnold - last of the dogmen

absolutely epic and superb. where is this man nowadays? up to anything?

Great score with Barryesque moments. Certainly not doing anywhere near enough these days though he regularly shows up on FB.
  4. He's not that into it anymore. If he's scoring stuff, he's doing it for friends, probably will return for a Bond film, if asked.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    shame...his sound and writing not in fashion anymore?
  5. No, I think it's far more pragmatic. One of the films he scored turned into a musical and he earned way more for that than he ever did when he was doing film music.

I mean, OK, I don't think, say, Stargate, would really fit with today's aesthetics (and don't just blame it on the new scoring trends, filmmaking changed). That said, Giacchino is now scoring about everything Zimmer or Tyler aren't scoring and he had a period when he was just keeping it low-key.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2017
    PawelStroinski wrote
    He's not that into it anymore. If he's scoring stuff, he's doing it for friends, probably will return for a Bond film, if asked.

And meanwhile composing pure orchestral/synth GOLD for 'Sherlock'...
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2017 edited
    Aidabaida wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    He's not that into it anymore. If he's scoring stuff, he's doing it for friends, probably will return for a Bond film, if asked.

And meanwhile composing pure orchestral/synth GOLD for 'Sherlock'...

not a fan of the sherlock musical universe i am afraid my friend. i don't like how zimmer did it and i don't like how price with arnold do it either.