• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2017 edited
    Southall wrote
    The Dark Tower

Worse than you might think possible.

haha told ya so in its pr topic. horrible shit that passes as film music these days. and the worst part is that this shit sound actually sells (see addition (or replacement?) of zimmer ontop of johann johannsonn for the new blade runner film)
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2017
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Jóhann Jóhannsson - Arrival

My favorite score and film of the last year. Listening to pay respect to the poor Jóhannsson, who probably went through quite an ordeal during Blade Runner.

I absolutely adore and revisit it often too. But nah man, he cannot write big ass themes and make the theater shake out of bassy drone brah, let's bring zimmer in. swag.
  1. Zimmer's not exactly the guy you get for "big ass themes" these days, is he? Johannsson's not exactly averse to bassy drones, is he?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2017 edited
    Knowing what Zimmer did with Vangelis-like textures lately (Inception, Interstellar, to name a few, Old Souls could easily have been written for a new Blade Runner), plus his love for both original film and score and the influence they've had on him as a composer, I actually think he's a great fit for Blade Runner 2049. I was also very much looking forward to Jóhann Jóhannsson's version of Blade Runner.

What's causing me concern, however, and what made me go "oh shit" the moment I heard the news, is the combination of these two, and Benjamin Wallfisch thrown in. It just seems we're not getting a wholesome work anymore. A score by either of these would've been great, but now... Anyhow, let's just wait and see first, maybe all the material will blend into each other nicely.
  2. Interstellar (2014) - Hans Zimmer

Marvellous. One of his very best. There are some welcome hints at Vangelis here, woven into fresh and interesting textures and melodies. This album I'd like to listen to in a planetarium.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Captain Future wrote
    Interstellar (2014) - Hans Zimmer

Marvellous. One of his very best. There are some welcome hints at Vangelis here, woven into fresh and interesting textures and melodies. This album I'd like to listen to in a planetarium.

Volker

Great score. Took several listens for me to realize how beautiful it really was.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  3. Yeah, I would even be quite excited if Hans was the man they went to in the first place. Wallfisch is one thing, I don't mind the collaboration if you know that they started working on it during the tour break. Hans has to wrap his concert tour up before he actually goes to do anything seriously again.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. Predator - Alan Silvestri

5 star score ! Without a doubt one of the best action scores ever written, which IMO has now gained iconic status for its important role in the film. Equally suspenseful and exhilarating. More than 70 minutes of that constantly evolving blend and cleverly building towards a truly spectacular finale. Silvestri was the man !!!!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Wind and the Lion Jerry Goldsmith

Second day running. Totally exhilarating. A masterpiece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Batman Begins

I listen to this every couple of years assuming I'll like it more than I remembered. But it's just so boring.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2017
    Southall wrote
    Batman Begins

I listen to this every couple of years assuming I'll like it more than I remembered. But it's just so boring.

I don't really like any of Zimmer's Batman scores. In the films which I like by various degrees, first one good, second one very good, third one fucking awful the scores are okay but nothing I want to hear outside of again.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    The Wind and the Lion Jerry Goldsmith

Second day running. Totally exhilarating. A masterpiece.

A masterwork by a composer at the top of his game.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Southall wrote
    Batman Begins

Somebody told me the other day, "How can you not like Man of Steel? That's up with the Dark Knight scores!"

I said, "Yep, I agree."
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Zimmer's not exactly the guy you get for "big ass themes" these days, is he? Johannsson's not exactly averse to bassy drones, is he?

by zimmer's standard, big ass themes, means 1 or 2 notes BRAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMSSSSSSS these days , and no , nobody can make the theater shake like him wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Zimmer's not exactly the guy you get for "big ass themes" these days, is he? Johannsson's not exactly averse to bassy drones, is he?

Also, Johannsson's bass drones? what scores are you talking about?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2017 edited
    BobdH wrote
    Knowing what Zimmer did with Vangelis-like textures lately (Inception, Interstellar, to name a few, Old Souls could easily have been written for a new Blade Runner), plus his love for both original film and score and the influence they've had on him as a composer, I actually think he's a great fit for Blade Runner 2049. I was also very much looking forward to Jóhann Jóhannsson's version of Blade Runner.

What's causing me concern, however, and what made me go "oh shit" the moment I heard the news, is the combination of these two, and Benjamin Wallfisch thrown in. It just seems we're not getting a wholesome work anymore. A score by either of these would've been great, but now... Anyhow, let's just wait and see first, maybe all the material will blend into each other nicely.

When , with the exception of interstellar, did we ever get a wholesome zimmer score in the past 10 or more years? it's always him and a combination of soldiers or even worse, when he goes with the rad and modern cool crowd of junkie xl and co. that brings out the worst and laziest in him. Hope that for this, he gets inspired and does his own thing and we go the interstellar way 'cause when he does that, the results are amazing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Captain Future wrote
    Interstellar (2014) - Hans Zimmer

Volker

His best i'd say, then come gladiator, the thin red line.
  5. Beyond that I still hold his early work in high regard: A World Apart; Rain Man, Driving Miss Daisy; Days of Thunder; Thelma & Louise, Green Card, Backdraft; K2; Beyond Rangoon ... Late 80s to mid 90s is my favourite Zimmer period.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2017 edited
    Demetris wrote
    When , with the exception of interstellar, did we ever get a wholesome zimmer score in the past 10 or more years? it's always him and a combination of soldiers. Hope that for this, he gets inspired and does his own thing and we go the interstellar way 'cause when he does that, the results are amazing.

Even Inception had its additional composers, but they're his, and when those additionals work on his projects they're in service of Hans' vision. It's the work of Hans, aided by RC'ers. With Johann Johannsson you've got another singular composer with his own vision, his own work. He is not an additional composer, as is Hans not an additional composer. That's the clash here; two own mindsets working on a single project which may turn something out that is schizophrenic which is what I'm fearing.
  6. The creation of film music is almost always and necessarily a matter of team work. Composers of symphonic film music have their chief orchestrator, who himself often coordinates a team of subsidiary orchestrators. Often the chief orchestrator will act as a co-composer, composing e.g. bridges from one point of music to another. The music sheets mostly make this transparent.
    Zimmer has a team of fellow composers who will create additional music and who will assist in programming the synthesizers. Ultimately this doesn't differ very much from the process described above.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    Captain Future wrote
    The creation of film music is almost always and necessarily a matter of team work. Composers of symphonic film music have their chief orchestrator, who himself often coordinates a team of subsidiary orchestrators. Often the chief orchestrator will act as a co-composer, composing e.g. bridges from one point of music to another. The music sheets mostly make this transparent.
    Zimmer has a team of fellow composers who will create additional music and who will assist in programming the synthesizers. Ultimately this doesn't differ very much from the process described above.

Volker

I assume you mean for big budget films? I know quite some examples where that is not the case.
  7. I mean when 100 minutes of symphonic music has to be written and recorded in - what? - six weeks? No composer could do this single handedly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Captain Future wrote
    The creation of film music is almost always and necessarily a matter of team work. Composers of symphonic film music have their chief orchestrator, who himself often coordinates a team of subsidiary orchestrators. Often the chief orchestrator will act as a co-composer, composing e.g. bridges from one point of music to another. The music sheets mostly make this transparent.

Volker

Everyone has a team . But with Zimmer its always different and it sounds . Plus big ass studio barracks with many employees and an army of composers working for and with him and jumping on to replicate his sound on other projects where they cannot afford him or he doesn't have the time. I think its pretty obvious to everyone how different this is to the standard composer - assistant - orchestrator scheme smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Symphonic music ? Certainly this has nothing to do with the case of Zimmer. He doesn't write symphonic music nor the music is so demanding on itself . His schedule and number - size of assignments is though but certainly its no symphonic music case. His music is his own, Zimmer music .
  8. Hmm, House of the Spirits is not symphonic? Gladiator's what, too?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    We are talking post 2010 scores . New Zimmer sound , ask Zimmer if he will ever compose like the scores you mention again .
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Rugby World Cup Christopher Gordon

One description has always stuck in mind by a certain Antipodean who used to frequent this forum: It's as if John Williams scored Conan. (It's not really film music, but it might as well be.)
  9. Demetris wrote
    We are talking post 2010 scores . New Zimmer sound , ask Zimmer if he will ever compose like the scores you mention again .

True. He's not into that anymore. Though, on the other hand... there's a bit of the old Zimmer in The Lone Ranger.
  10. I do wonder how much of Zimmer there was in The Lone Ranger, period. Considering how much he hated that movie my gut tells me Zanelli did a lot more than just the finale.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I do wonder how much of Zimmer there was in The Lone Ranger, period. Considering how much he hated that movie my gut tells me Zanelli did a lot more than just the finale.

Well i'd give him justice, wouldn't you? the movie was horrible. smile But I did like a lot of bits from the score. I suspect djawadi had something to do with it? or balfe?