• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2017
    Thor wrote
    Aidabaida wrote
    what parts of the BFG struck you as "Americana" Thor?

The main theme. When I first heard it in Cannes, during the red carpet session outside the Palais, I thought it was something from LINCOLN that I had forgotten.

Well, Americana or not, it's really memorable. I had it stuck in my head for a week after I heard it :P
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's a decent theme in and of itself, but nothing I haven't heard from Williams a thousand times before.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Aidabaida wrote
    Thor wrote
    Aidabaida wrote
    what parts of the BFG struck you as "Americana" Thor?

The main theme. When I first heard it in Cannes, during the red carpet session outside the Palais, I thought it was something from LINCOLN that I had forgotten.

Well, Americana or not, it's really memorable. I had it stuck in my head for a week after I heard it :P

Yes. John Williams is still a tune smith like no other. It's unbelievable.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    What I wouldn't give to hear The Last Jedi score right now...
  2. WATERWORLD - J.N. Howard

One of the most spectacular action-adventure scores ever composed. I totally dig how Howard crafted this musical world for the film. Lots of variety and just the perfect length too, and the action music rocks.

What an amazing year 1995 was for scores, and how long ago it already is.

I'll not be getting the expansion after all because this is perfection ! punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Searching for Bobby Fischer Jamie H

Such a lovely piece of work. One from the top drawer.
  3. Thor wrote
    NP: MORIBITO: GUARDIAN OF THE SPIRIT (Naoki Sato)

The album is a bit too long at 80 minutes, but there is rarely a track that doesn't deliver. It's a shame it doesn't have a commercial release (it was a 2016 Japanese TV show).

There's a commercial release. I own it. I just had to import it from Japan. I wish Sato's work were on iTunes and other commercial outlets, though. It's expensive to buy imports.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2017
    Gold - Daniel Pemberton

This and King Arthur are two of my standout moments of the film scoring year to date (though technically Gold is a 2016 film I believe). Full of brilliant, complex rhythms and orchestrations; there's great variety too and the way he brings the main theme to full fruition in the dazzling final cue, 'Keep Digging' (which I must have played a hundred times at least), is something else.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Feud: Betty and Joan - Mac Quayle

No way to predict how brilliant this would be based on Quayle's mostly electronic work (as good as it is) for Mr. Robot. But this is on another level with an exquisite chamber sound and memorable motifs aplenty. Some excellent jazzy elements are incorporated into a scattering of cues too, adding further to the diversity. This is definitely another personal favourite for the year and can't wait to hear it a few more times.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2017 edited
    christopher wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: MORIBITO: GUARDIAN OF THE SPIRIT (Naoki Sato)

The album is a bit too long at 80 minutes, but there is rarely a track that doesn't deliver. It's a shame it doesn't have a commercial release (it was a 2016 Japanese TV show).

There's a commercial release. I own it. I just had to import it from Japan. I wish Sato's work were on iTunes and other commercial outlets, though. It's expensive to buy imports.

Ah, that's good to know (that it has a commercial release, albeit only in Japan).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    St. Vincent - Theodore Shapiro

Yet another small gem that highlights what a great gift Shapiro has with melody when given half a chance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    Demetris wrote
    n.p. Fernando Velazquez- Lope

Love, love this man. When he's not going into dark bassy drones that get him all tired and completely uninspired, just to pay the bills like all the rest, he can create some truly wonderful themes.

I love The Impossible and Hercules.
  4. Demetris wrote

Love, love this man. When he's not going into dark bassy drones that get him all tired and completely uninspired, just to pay the bills like all the rest, he can create some truly wonderful themes.

What did you think of A Monster Calls?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. Caliburn wrote
    Demetris wrote

I love The Impossible and Hercules.

Hercules caught a lot of flak at the time for subscribing so heavily to modern action score tropes, but to be honest I think it's a more satisfying modern action score than many. "Bessi Battle" is an outstanding, relentless action setpiece, and the score even manages to make a four chords theme work for me without seeming irritatingly generic like e.g. the theme from Thor: The Dark World.

Of course, maybe settling for a modern action score is a bad thing when it comes to Hercules...sure, we could and maybe should expect more, but once you get over that, I'm pretty satisfied with what we got.
  6. Aidabaida wrote
    BTW @EdmundMeinerts: Is the Tracksounds.com site dead? I used to enjoy the reviews there (including yours) but they haven't posted there for years...

First of all, thanks for reading! I appreciate that you actually remember that, and cared enough to ask after me. smile

To be honest, I don't even really know anymore. I know Chris Coleman was working on a big overhaul of the website, but I think real life must have just caught up with him. He hasn't sent me any scores to review since 2014, and we've only done a couple podcast episodes since then (I even sent him a review of Pan when that came out, never got a response). He and Erik Woods are still putting out shorter Soundcast episodes every now and again, but jury's out whether there will ever be written reviews at Tracksounds again. Wouldn't count on it for the near future.

I keep toying with the idea of just starting my own site or blog, but keep putting it off for some reason. That's probably not a good sign. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Aidabaida wrote
    BTW @EdmundMeinerts: Is the Tracksounds.com site dead? I used to enjoy the reviews there (including yours) but they haven't posted there for years...

First of all, thanks for reading! I appreciate that you actually remember that, and cared enough to ask after me. smile

To be honest, I don't even really know anymore. I know Chris Coleman was working on a big overhaul of the website, but I think real life must have just caught up with him. He hasn't sent me any scores to review since 2014, and we've only done a couple podcast episodes since then (I even sent him a review of Pan when that came out, never got a response). He and Erik Woods are still putting out shorter Soundcast episodes every now and again, but jury's out whether there will ever be written reviews at Tracksounds again. Wouldn't count on it for the near future.

I keep toying with the idea of just starting my own site or blog, but keep putting it off for some reason. That's probably not a good sign. shame

Too bad, that was my favorite soundtrack review site. I liked that it a lot of people's opinions (as opposed to filmtracks where I've predicted the star rating for the last ten reviews)
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    EDIT!
    *static*
    maintitles.net is my favorite soundtrack review site. I am saying this out of my own volition and am not being threatened, coerced, or otherwise put under duress. my previous statement claiming tracksounds was my favorite is hereby amended. I am saying this out of my own volition.
    *static*
  7. Aidabaida wrote
    EDIT!
    *static*
    maintitles.net is my favorite soundtrack review site. I am saying this out of my own volition and am not being threatened, coerced, or otherwise put under duress. my previous statement claiming tracksounds was my favorite is hereby amended. I am saying this out of my own volition.
    *static*

Someone made you an offer you couldn't refuse? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Maintitles has reviews?
  8. You're kidding, right?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  9. Aidabaida wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Aidabaida wrote

Too bad, that was my favorite soundtrack review site. I liked that it a lot of people's opinions (as opposed to filmtracks where I've predicted the star rating for the last ten reviews)

One of the things I liked best was when we did a couple reviews back in 2012 (Amazing Spider-Man, Dark Knight Rises) where we each wrote just a couple paragraphs. Obviously there wasn't much depth in anybody's review but it was definitely interesting to see the spread of opinions. I think that's an idea with a lot of potential that's not been realized.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

One of the things I liked best was when we did a couple reviews back in 2012 (Amazing Spider-Man, Dark Knight Rises) where we each wrote just a couple paragraphs. Obviously there wasn't much depth in anybody's review but it was definitely interesting to see the spread of opinions. I think that's an idea with a lot of potential that's not been realized.

And gave a 1-5 rating to each track!
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2017 edited
    Earlier, abandoned Annabelle Creation - Benjamin Wallfisch

Painfully generic, I gave up at around the half way mark. Will return to it again later perhaps but it's a real slog.

Horns - Rob

The contrast couldn't be greater. Here's a horror score with melody and invention - and listenability! Doesn't have the killer theme of Maniac but there's a more organic feel and it's definitely a more well-rounded score overall.
  10. Pretty Maids All In A Row - It would very different is Gene Roddenberry had gotten his desired composer (Jerry Fielding). Lalo Schifrin with a very pleasing sound for a movie which looks very unpleasant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2017
    David OC wrote
    Horns - Rob

The contrast couldn't be greater. Here's a horror score with melody and invention - and listenability! Doesn't have the killer theme of Maniac but there's a more organic feel and it's definitely a more well-rounded score overall.

Oooh....a new Rob! Gotta check that out, thanks!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I'm pretty sure this is the 2013 one wink.
  11. NP: Willow (1988) - James Horner

This is one of the very first film music CDs I got. I was just in the process of discovering James Horner. I remember I didn't like the album back then because I was used to listen to main theme compilations and this album was to "classical" for me. I have long come to appreciate this score as one of the best in Horner's career.
    Schumann's Rhenanian Symphony is here square and clear but that doesn't bother me at all. It's a brilliant score for a film I never really liked.

Volker
  12. The film is good fun and the score is even better. I want this expanded & remastered. One of Horner's most thrilling and gorgeous compositions of his career.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  13. I haven't seen the film in many years so I don't know what music is missing on the album. At 73 minutes it is already of generous duration. (The film has 126 minutes.) The sound also seems fine?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    You're kidding, right?

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.