• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Demetris wrote
    Aidabaida wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    THE RETURN OF THE KING - Howard ShoreNot even Shore seems able to repeat this, as witnessed by The Hobbit trilogy.

Wut? sad The Hobbit had plenty of moments to equal this, see, "Beyond the Forest" for just one example!

this is a sensitive subject

Nah, hobbit , all three movies and scores, was a terribly dull and tired effort from all (shore included, whose output has been steadily declining in quality and inspiration since lotr) to make some more money off a dead horse. LOTR was magnificent in all aspects.

Yeah, you can always tell a composer is bored when he writes 30 themes for a concept.
  2. Demetris wrote
    Aidabaida wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    THE RETURN OF THE KING - Howard ShoreNot even Shore seems able to repeat this, as witnessed by The Hobbit trilogy.

Wut? sad The Hobbit had plenty of moments to equal this, see, "Beyond the Forest" for just one example!

Nah, hobbit , all three movies and scores, was a terribly dull and tired effort from all (shore included, whose output has been steadily declining in quality and inspiration since lotr) to make some more money off a dead horse. LOTR was magnificent in all aspects.

I admit to have a soft spot for the first Hobbit score, the closest to the Rings trilogy in terms of orchestrations and themes, the other two are good but never great !

I also don't need to hear either of the three in its complete form, can become quite boring with repeated listens.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. I have made a Hobbit playlist that I mostly return to. After all, it's ONE Hobbit book and a RING TRILOGY.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  4. Nope! The Lord of the Rings is also one novel.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2017
    Captain Future wrote
    I have made a Hobbit playlist that I mostly return to. After all, it's ONE Hobbit book and a RING TRILOGY.

Volker

*BEEP* *BEEP* NON GEEK ALERT *BEEP* *BEEP*
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  5. Aidabaida wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    I have made a Hobbit playlist that I mostly return to. After all, it's ONE Hobbit book and a RING TRILOGY.

Volker

*BEEP* *BEEP* NON GEEK ALERT *BEEP* *BEEP*

Wiki:
    For publication, the book was divided into three volumes: The Fellowship of the Ring (Books I and II), The Two Towers (Books III and IV), and The Return of the King (Books V and VI plus six appendices).

Was anybody talking about geeks here?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Aidabaida wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

I admit to have a soft spot for the first Hobbit score, the closest to the Rings trilogy in terms of orchestrations and themes, the other two are good but never great !

I also don't need to hear either of the three in its complete form, can become quite boring with repeated listens.

Yes, i don't like the complete lotr scores myself. (i know you were talking about the hobbitses but even lotr, no matter how much i like those, i find them tedious at the complete forms, I just love the regular albums lotr, they are just perfect for me)
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2017 edited
    Captain Future, you just proved yourself wrong. THE BOOK was divided into three volumes, for publication, not because it's a trilogy.

The book is not of course a 'trilogy'. That and the titles of the volumes was a fudge thought necessary for publication, owing to length and cost. There is no real division into 3, nor is any one pan intelligible alone. The story was conceived and written as a whole and the only natural divisions are the 'books' I-VI (which originally had titles). - J.R.R. Tolkien
  6. bow

We Geeks have a saying: "Tolkien created Lord of the Rings to train the faithful." One cannot go against the word of Tolkien.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Now you're just in damage control! biggrin
  7. NP: Thief (1981) - Tangerine Dream

An excellent score that clearly paved the way for Michael Mann's later use of electronic music in his projects.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Matrix Donald Davis

Bloody brilliant
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2017 edited

I always wonder how I'd feel about the Hobbit scores if they had been released in a form more like the original LotR albums. At least for me, they're not scores that sustain a complete release. But then, neither was LotR.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2017
    Southall wrote
    The Matrix Donald Davis

Bloody brilliant

punk

Somebody please give this man more work!
  8. iZler's Revenge. It's a shame there wasn't a followup covering the other two seasons.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Hour of the Gun - Jerry Goldsmith

Pure genius. One of his best Western scores, and a veritable masterclass in how to diversify with what is a stunning array of 'variations on a theme'.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Sin City - Rodriguez/Debney/Revell

It's still almost inexplicably enjoyable, this, with its unwieldy, over the top, 'dirty' noir feel.
  9. jb1234 wrote

I always wonder how I'd feel about the Hobbit scores if they had been released in a form more like the original LotR albums. At least for me, they're not scores that sustain a complete release. But then, neither was LotR.

I compiled my own give or take 70 min albums from those 2 disc releases. It's all I need.

But in terms of the quality of the music itself, LOTR was more operatic, more gorgeous, more awesome, more everything and the regular albums had much noteworthy music missing. So my bro and I made two disc releases out of those. So brilliant I could make a serious buck by selling these if I had the rights to do so. cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  10. David OC wrote
    Hour of the Gun - Jerry Goldsmith

Pure genius. One of his best Western scores, and a veritable masterclass in how to diversify with what is a stunning array of 'variations on a theme'.

It really is... I like it a lot too, even though I'm not too much a fan of early Jerry, The Blue Max excepted, Hour of the Gun has earned its place in my collection.
  11. NP: Hour of the Gun (1967) - Jeremiah wink Goldsmith
    The Prague re-recording.

I agree with the gentlemen. This is right up there with the best film music of the 60s' western renaissance.

Volker
  12. I've never heard the re-recording of that score (I didn't really think that what I heard from the original album warranted such an endeavor really), but my favorite of Goldsmith's western stuff remains the beauty that Lonely Are the Brave was.

And it's a good movie indeed.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  13. Demetris wrote
    David OC wrote
    Earlier, abandoned Annabelle Creation - Benjamin Wallfisch

Painfully generic, I gave up at around the half way mark. Will return to it again later perhaps but it's a real slog.

Well, 'how to take a wonderful composer with lots of premise, dull him up and suck him dry of all his creative juices and toss him aside until the next one comes along 101' by remote control studios.

I think there's a lot of creativity in ANNABELLE: CREATION. I just don't like any of it. I don't enjoy the horror genre, films or scores, with few exceptions. Some composers are able to write some genuinely gorgeous music for horror scores, but Wallfisch hasn't taken that approach with any of his horror scores yet. He can write a very effective horror score in the context of the film, which is really his whole job anyway (I'm sure the directors and producers of ANNABELLE loved what he did for the film), but I haven't enjoyed his horror stuff away from the films at all. I'm not looking forward to IT.

THE ADVENTURERS - Tuomas Kantelinen

Anyone who enjoys fun spy-movie scores should check out this new score from Kantelinen. It's inspirations are very obvious, but it's well done.
  14. PawelStroinski wrote
    I've never heard the re-recording of that score (I didn't really think that what I heard from the original album warranted such an endeavor really), but my favorite of Goldsmith's western stuff remains the beauty that Lonely Are the Brave was.

And it's a good movie indeed.

Lonely Are the Brave is a a seldom praised gem of a score. I love it.
  15. Klaus Badelt - Rescue Dawn

Haven't heard this score in years. In fact, I haven't seen a Werner Herzog movie (except Jack Reacher which starred him!) in my life.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Klaus Badelt - Rescue Dawn

Haven't heard this score in years. In fact, I haven't seen a Werner Herzog movie (except Jack Reacher which starred him!) in my life.

I am surprised?

Rescue Dawn is a weaker effort but I really liked The Way Back. His earlier work with Kinski are classics.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  16. I'm, let's say, a bit slow with making up classics. That said, if I like a Herzog film, I'll probably watch them all in a row or something like that, as it's the way I deal with things. I'm just a bit scared of things than can be somehow radical and reading about Herzog working with Kinski is scary alone biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Herzog is hit and miss, but when he's on, he's really on.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Klaus Badelt - Rescue Dawn

chew off your fingers

this is a reference
  17. I don't understand why they always take the bullet...
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2017
    Wilson - Jon Brion

Another quirky little gem from a too often neglected niche composer. A breezy half hour with the weirdly orchestrated 'Prison' the standout cue.

Gifted - Rob Simonsen

Not really stretching himself again here. I so hope he doesn't get bogged down in these drably predictable middle of the road dramas that increasingly ask for little from composers other than 'nice' twinkly piano motifs and gentle strings.