• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2017
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I'm, let's say, a bit slow with making up classics. That said, if I like a Herzog film, I'll probably watch them all in a row or something like that, as it's the way I deal with things. I'm just a bit scared of things than can be somehow radical and reading about Herzog working with Kinski is scary alone biggrin

Ha, that'd be an interesting experience with Herzog. His films wildly vary.

By the way, if you do watch only one Herzog film, watch Fitzcarraldo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    David OC wrote
    Gifted - Rob Simonsen

Not really stretching himself again here. I so hope he doesn't get bogged down in these drably predictable middle of the road dramas that increasingly ask for little from composers other than 'nice' twinkly piano motifs and gentle strings.

Yes, that was terribly disappointing, as I've liked pretty much everything Simonsen has done so far, culmating in the very best score of last year (NERVE).
    I am extremely serious.
  1. BobdH wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I'm, let's say, a bit slow with making up classics. That said, if I like a Herzog film, I'll probably watch them all in a row or something like that, as it's the way I deal with things. I'm just a bit scared of things than can be somehow radical and reading about Herzog working with Kinski is scary alone biggrin

Ha, that'd be an interesting experience with Herzog. His films wildly vary.

By the way, if you do watch only one Herzog film, watch Fitzcarraldo.

It's Aguirre that I've recorded. And I got his Bad Lieutenant on DVD. I don't have any idea how it ended up in my brother's collection.

And Nosferatu.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2017 edited
    Whatever you do, DO NOT start with Bad Lieutenant. It could put you off Herzog for life. As Nosferatu obviously is an adaptation and nowhere near Vintage Herzog I'd suggest you start with Aguirre Wrath of God. Also because it sits nearly at the beginning of his oeuvre, so you can make a chronological start.
  2. I think if I see Nicolas Cage on the cover, I kinda know what I'd be in for wink
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    My Top 5 Herzog:

1. FITZCARRALDO
    2. AGUIRRE
    3. LESSONS OF DARKNESS
    4. WOYZECK
    5. GRIZZLY MAN

I've never been as enamoured with NOSFERATU as everyone else. I think it looks ugly (and not dirty-beautiful like other Herzog films), and there's something "off" and halfhearted about the whole production.

For me, both his documentaries and fiction films are hit and miss.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    David OC wrote
    Gifted - Rob Simonsen

Not really stretching himself again here. I so hope he doesn't get bogged down in these drably predictable middle of the road dramas that increasingly ask for little from composers other than 'nice' twinkly piano motifs and gentle strings.

Yes, that was terribly disappointing, as I've liked pretty much everything Simonsen has done so far, culmating in the very best score of last year (NERVE).

His last scores in a row, where autopilotish and meh very very standard. All sounding the same more or less, same sounds, same palletes, same techniques.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote
    David OC wrote
    Gifted - Rob Simonsen

His last scores in a row, where autopilotish and meh very very standard. All sounding the same more or less, same sounds, same palletes, same techniques.

GIFTED is the only one of the post-NERVE/VIRAL scores I've heard. Not heard DEMAIN TOUT COMMENCE, THE HOUSE OF TOMORROW and GOING IN STYLE yet.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Haven't heard those 4 either. But he's on a roll. I hear a lot of him in all the movies he made 2017 and 2016. He needs to take a step back and thing about his creativity and voice though 'cause i see him ending up like the brian tyler of electronic / ambient scores;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Haven't heard those 4 either. But he's on a roll. I hear a lot of him in all the movies he made 2017 and 2016. He needs to take a step back and thing about his creativity and voice though 'cause i see him ending up like the brian tyler of electronic / ambient scores;)

Well, as long as he delivers quality like NERVE (2016), VIRAL (2016), THE AGE OF ADALINE (2015), WISH I WAS HERE (2014), THE SPECTACULAR NOW (2013) and so on, I'm a happy camper -- all very varied quality scores. I'll allow him a year or two "off".
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I think if I see Nicolas Cage on the cover, I kinda know what I'd be in for wink

Think of that - on coke.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Demetris wrote

Well, as long as he delivers quality like NERVE (2016), VIRAL (2016), THE AGE OF ADALINE (2015), WISH I WAS HERE (2014), THE SPECTACULAR NOW (2013) and so on, I'm a happy camper -- all very varied quality scores. I'll allow him a year or two "off".

from the things you wrote, i remember how fresh THE SPECTACULAR NOW (2013) sounded. The rest is copy paste to my ears, mainly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    from the things you wrote, i remember how fresh THE SPECTACULAR NOW (2013) sounded. The rest is copy paste to my ears, mainly.

Copy/paste? The romantic-minimalism/chamber piece music of AGE OF ADALINE sounds nothing like the indie pop sound of THE SPECTACULAR NOW, which sound nothing like the retro 80s synthpop/disco noir of NERVE or VIRAL. Incredible versatility, if you ask me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Age of adaline too, nice score. The rest of his recent scores are all that electronic ambient general wall of mood thingy.
  3. MEDAL OF HONOR: FRONTLINE - Mike Giacchino

This is that rich orchestral sound that Mike will likely never ever return to and that is a crying shame.
    I don't care if it's pastiche because it's FUCKING GLORIOUS from start to finish !!!!!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. DreamTheater wrote
    MEDAL OF HONOR: FRONTLINE - Mike Giacchino

This is that rich orchestral sound that Mike will likely never ever return to and that is a crying shame.
    I don't care if it's pastiche because it's FUCKING GLORIOUS from start to finish !!!!!

I do. ¯_(ツ)_/¯
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2017
    Demetris wrote
    Age of adaline too, nice score. The rest of his recent scores are all that electronic ambient general wall of mood thingy.

I see.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Age of Adaline is very listenable if unremarkable. Nerve is very different - and a fine score, perfectly suited for what is a silly but very entertaining film. The same can't said for the other 2016 Joost/Schulman film, Viral which is truly awful. Distractingly so - to the point that I couldn't tell you a thing about the music straight after. Will have to listen to it separately to better judge it.

Ostwind - Annette Focks

I've become a massive fan of her very classy compositional style lately. And though I've loved everything I've heard of hers to date, this one is admittedly a little dull. It's melodic, certainly, but meanders a lot. Its also 'samey' sounding, a fact that's further hindered by the too excessive run time. I actually didn't quite make it to the end.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    David OC wrote

Ostwind - Annette Focks

I've become a massive fan of her very classy compositional style lately. And though I've loved everything I've heard of hers to date, this one is admittedly a little dull. It's melodic, certainly, but meanders a lot. Its also 'samey' sounding, a fact that's further hindered by the too excessive run time. I actually didn't quite make it to the end.

My oh my, love this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2017 edited
    gabriel yared - the promise

middle eastern but the direct opposite of the copy-paste soulless wall background music we've been getting for many years by americans. it's colorful, with soul and passion. it's mesmerizing, it's got gorgeous choral work a la Jocelyn pook, solemn duduk passages, lovely strings, ethereal female choir. Themes, colors and pulse aren't as vibrant as for instance the excellent kite runner by alberto iglesias, but overall it's a toned-down, coherent, well-though and well-composed score in this genre that's wholly organic, and makes a lot of sense as a musical whole. Album needs some trimming off some dull underscore, to keep only the thematic / choral material.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    gabriel yared and cyrille aufort - a royal affair

one of those few flawless scores. charming, elegant, orchestral, romantic. We need more of these two men in films these days.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    2015's Fantastic Four Prelude is one of my favorite cues ever. It incorporates so many influences and instruments under a really brooding, majestic theme.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    john debney - passion of the christ symphony

phenomenal work in his career. this and the original score, his absolute top moments.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    also the stoning of soraya m but mainly the young messiah are beautiful spin off scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Agree with all of your Debney mentions, D. You're either very harsh or very positive in your comments, so it's fairly to agree/disagree on a regular basis! :D
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    np - The Battle of Hoth

punk
  5. Demetris wrote
    David OC wrote

Ostwind - Annette Focks

My oh my, love this.

I like this score as well. It could be trimmed down, but even without that it's probably my second favorite score from Focks.
  6. KARATE KID - James Horner

Wow. I had forgotten how good the second half of "From Master to Student to Master" is. What a cue! I'm enjoying this score more this time than I ever have, I think. And I already thought it was pretty good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2017
    christopher wrote
    KARATE KID - James Horner

Wow. I had forgotten how good the second half of "From Master to Student to Master" is. What a cue! I'm enjoying this score more this time than I ever have, I think. And I already thought it was pretty good.

This score has my favorite Horner moment ever. It comes at 1:54 in "I Want to Go Home"
  7. That's a lovely moment. I'm curious though as to how it became your favorite Horner moment ever. It's nice, but I can think of so many moments I would put ahead of that one.