• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. PawelStroinski wrote
    Don't like the original album, I like the Deluxe a lot. Go figure.

I like the original album when it's getting to the early hours of the morning. Not so much the Deluxe Edition at this time. wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2017
    abel korzeniowski - nocturnal animals

gorgeous movie, the score is beautiful and lyrical. when this man is let to create his own symphonic suite-like scores, then pure wonder comes out.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    same goes for abel korzeniowski's gorgeous romeo and juliet. pretty similar to the above.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Demetris wrote
    same goes for abel korzeniowski's gorgeous romeo and juliet. pretty similar to the above.

Not in the same class for me Demetris. Romeo & Juliet is masterful and probably his finest all round score. Nocturnal Animals, the film, I found cold, alienating and utterly implausible. Can't understand the love for it though, yes, it has some very stylish visuals.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    The Hitman's Bodyguard - Atli Orvarsson

Pity there's less than 20 minutes of this. Runs the gamut of styles but it's really entertaining stuff. The main title/opening piece is one of the best of the year whilst the final cue, 'Broken Wing' is a gorgeous piece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2017 edited
    David OC wrote
    Demetris wrote

Not in the same class for me Demetris. Romeo & Juliet is masterful and probably his finest all round score. Nocturnal Animals, the film, I found cold, alienating and utterly implausible. Can't understand the love for it though, yes, it has some very stylish visuals.

Was talking about the scores smile They are pretty similar in style. Animals is a bit more restrained, but i think of w.e., romeo and juliet, nocturnal animals, A single man etc, all in the same league and style. Very much unlike the boring drony underscore that was penny dreadful.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Demetris wrote
    David OC wrote
    Demetris wrote

Was talking about the scores smile They are pretty similar in style. Animals is a bit more restrained, but i think of w.e., romeo and juliet, nocturnal animals etc, all in the same league and style.

I know mate - and the score itself is pretty good but you did make reference to NA being a 'gorgeous movie' and I felt compelled to say something! ☺
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Sense8 - Johnny Klimek & Tom Tykwer

Against all reason this has become one of my most played scores of the year to date. Heavy emphasis on more electronic than organic soundscapes and action but it has great energy and benefits from many long, well developed cues that create an almost hypnotic flow.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Demetris wrote

Have you seen that clip Abel just posted on twitter, conducting a 30 second chaotic, frenzied strings-from-hell cue from his upcoming horror film The Nun? Should be something different!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    David OC wrote
    Demetris wrote

Have you seen that clip Abel just posted on twitter, conducting a 30 second chaotic, frenzied strings-from-hell cue from his upcoming horror film The Nun? Should be something different!

yes, not too sure i like him when in this style..i think others do it better. i am more excited for this though: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2378179/?ref_=nm_flmg_com_2
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    David OC wrote
    Demetris wrote
    David OC wrote
    Demetris wrote

Was talking about the scores smile They are pretty similar in style. Animals is a bit more restrained, but i think of w.e., romeo and juliet, nocturnal animals etc, all in the same league and style.

I know mate - and the score itself is pretty good but you did make reference to NA being a 'gorgeous movie' and I felt compelled to say something! ☺

yes, loved it too. huge fan of tom ford as a filmmaker
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Demetris wrote
    David OC wrote
    Demetris wrote

yes, not too sure i like him when in this style..i think others do it better. i am more excited for this though: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2378179/?ref_=nm_flmg_com_2

Looks like a perfect fit for him! Can't wait to hear what he comes up with for that one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Adrian Johnston - becoming jane

how gorgeous and romantic.
  2. David OC wrote
    The Hitman's Bodyguard - Atli Orvarsson

Pity there's less than 20 minutes of this. Runs the gamut of styles but it's really entertaining stuff. The main title/opening piece is one of the best of the year whilst the final cue, 'Broken Wing' is a gorgeous piece.

The best cue from that isn't even by Atli, but rather "Amsterdam Chase" by Dmitri Golovko which is a fun action piece that reminds me a bit of Daniel Pemberton's The Man from UNCLE.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Demetris wrote

same goes Brideshead Revisited My favorite off him. Who knows this style well enough to recommend other composers and works in this vein?
  3. Demetris wrote
    Demetris wrote

same goes Brideshead Revisited My favorite off him. Who knows this style well enough to recommend other composers and works in this vein?

I like Adrian Johnston, and this kind of film music is what I prefer to listen to most often.

Some scores in a similar vein that come to mind (in no particular order - and not all of these are exactly the same kind of style, but they seem similar in one way or another to me):

PRIDE AND PREJUDICE - Dario Marianelli
    LADIES IN LAVENDER - Nigel Hess
    UN HOMME ET SON CHIEN - Philippe Rombi
    DURANGO - Mark McKenzie
    ANGEL - Philippe Rombi
    THE DISAPPEARANCE OF GARCIA LORCA - Mark McKenzie
    WAH WAH - Patrick Doyle
    THE YOUNG VICTORIA - Ilan Eshkeri
    I AM BIG BIRD - Joshua Johnson
    MISS POTTER - Nigel Westlake
    LA FILLE DU PUISATIER - Alexandre Desplat
    SPACE SHUTTLE COLUMBIA - Blake Neely
    IRIS - James Horner
    SEARCHING FOR BOBBY FISCHER - Horner
    SENSE AND SENSIBILITY - Patrick Doyle
    DANGEROUS BEAUTY - George Fenton
    HOME OF DARK BUTTERFLIES - Panu Aaltio
    THE CRIMSON WING - The Cinematic Orchestra
    A UNITED KINGDOM - Patrick Doyle
    LIFE AS A HOUSE - Mark Isham
    AFTER EVER AFTER - Jerome Leroy
    A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT - Isham
    LE TEMPS D'ANNA - Bartosz Chajdecki
    AMALIA - Nuno Malo
    THE GREAT HUMAN ODYSSEY - Daren Fung
    COPPERHEAD - Laurent Eyquem
    MOLIERE - Frederic Talgorn
    THE OTHER BOLEYN GIRL - Paul Cantelon
    SUMMER IN FEBRUARY - Benjamin Wallfisch

You've probably heard most of those, but if you like Adrian Johnston's scores for period films, you'll probably like these as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    christopher wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Demetris wrote

I like Adrian Johnston, and this kind of film music is what I prefer to listen to most often.

Some scores in a similar vein that come to mind (in no particular order - and not all of these are exactly the same kind of style, but they seem similar in one way or another to me):

PRIDE AND PREJUDICE - Dario Marianelli
    LADIES IN LAVENDER - Nigel Hess
    UN HOMME ET SON CHIEN - Philippe Rombi
    DURANGO - Mark McKenzie
    ANGEL - Philippe Rombi
    THE DISAPPEARANCE OF GARCIA LORCA - Mark McKenzie
    WAH WAH - Patrick Doyle
    THE YOUNG VICTORIA - Ilan Eshkeri
    I AM BIG BIRD - Joshua Johnson
    MISS POTTER - Nigel Westlake
    LA FILLE DU PUISATIER - Alexandre Desplat
    SPACE SHUTTLE COLUMBIA - Blake Neely
    IRIS - James Horner
    SEARCHING FOR BOBBY FISCHER - Horner
    SENSE AND SENSIBILITY - Patrick Doyle
    DANGEROUS BEAUTY - George Fenton
    HOME OF DARK BUTTERFLIES - Panu Aaltio
    THE CRIMSON WING - The Cinematic Orchestra
    A UNITED KINGDOM - Patrick Doyle
    LIFE AS A HOUSE - Mark Isham
    AFTER EVER AFTER - Jerome Leroy
    A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT - Isham
    LE TEMPS D'ANNA - Bartosz Chajdecki
    AMALIA - Nuno Malo
    THE GREAT HUMAN ODYSSEY - Daren Fung
    COPPERHEAD - Laurent Eyquem
    MOLIERE - Frederic Talgorn
    THE OTHER BOLEYN GIRL - Paul Cantelon
    SUMMER IN FEBRUARY - Benjamin Wallfisch

You've probably heard most of those, but if you like Adrian Johnston's scores for period films, you'll probably like these as well.

Gorgeous kind of music indeed...Woah thank you, what a fantastic list!

the ones i haven't heard so far, and will look them up thank you very much, are:

AFTER EVER AFTER
    THE CRIMSON WING
    I AM BIG BIRD
    SEARCHING FOR BOBBY FISCHER
    MISS POTTER
    dangerous beauty
    THE GREAT HUMAN ODYSSEY
    MOLIERE

also is LE TEMPS D'ANNA and MOLIERE released officially?

the rest i know and love ! you rule man
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    i'd also add the magnificently beautiful cast away - alan silvestri which i am enjoying as we speak
  4. THE BEST OF LETHAL WEAPON - Michael Kamen, Eric Clapton, David Sanborn

Not an officially released album of course, but merely a collection of cues that show the best that the Lethal Weapon movie series had to offer. Put in a certain sequence so it's like listening to the very best Lethal Weapon score composed for a non-existing film. But it shows what genius composition this actually was, because let's face it, Kamen had such a unique sound and combined with Clapton's guitar and Sanborn's saxophone, it was a match made in heaven. If you own the box-set you can do worse than use this playlist. If I want my LW fix I do just that... smile

1. LW2 – Main Title / Chase the Red BMW / Krugerrand (7.10)
    2. LW4 – Don't Turn / Cute Shorts (3.11)
    3. LW3 – Shooting Darryl, Part 1 (3.13)
    4. LW1 – Amanda (3.46)
    5. LW2 – You're Black, I'm Mad / Drive to Stilt House / Stilt House Fight (3.41)
    6. LW3 – Gun Battle (3.49)
    7. LW4 – Chinatown Chase (3.29)
    8. LW2 – Riggs Shoulder (2.54)
    9. LW1 – The Desert (8.58)
    10. LW3 – Leo Getz (3.22)
    11. LW4 – House Fight (2.42)
    12. LW2 – Stilt House Falls (2.44)
    13. LW1 – Firing Range (1.34)
    14. LW4 – Freeway Chase (4.52)
    15. LW3 – Riggs Falls (2.12)
    16. LW2 – Riggs & Murtaugh in Toilet / After the Toilet Bomb (2.58)
    17. LW1 – S.O.B. Knows Where I Live (1.19)
    18. LW1 – We're Leaving (4.13)
    19. LW3 – Fire / Fire Battle / A Quiet Evening by the Fire (7.00)
    20. LW2 – Knockin' on Heaven's Door / Riggs Dying (2.24)
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. Looks like a good playlist, I'll give it a go!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Alberto Iglesias - the kite runner

colorful and passionate, one of his best scores to date.
  6. NP: The 13th Warrior (1999) - Jerry Goldsmith

A capable man, that Goldsmith fellow. I need to explore his work further.

biggrin
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    CAPTAIN FUTURE I SEE WHAT YOU HAVE ADDED AS YOUR LITTLE TAGLINE BELOW AND I DO NOT LIKE IT
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    haha you truly are out of your mind aidabaida wink
  7. Took you long enough to notice, Aidabaida. cheesy
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  8. It is generally accepted that opinions about music are subjective and that all are entitled to their own. However, in this case, Aidabaida, I'm afraid that the Captain's signature is an incontrovertible FACT, and that your opinion is incorrect. You are still entitled to your wrong opinion, of course.

biggrin
  9. Demetris wrote
    Gorgeous kind of music indeed...Woah thank you, what a fantastic list!

the ones i haven't heard so far, and will look them up thank you very much, are:

AFTER EVER AFTER
    THE CRIMSON WING
    I AM BIG BIRD
    SEARCHING FOR BOBBY FISCHER
    MISS POTTER
    dangerous beauty
    THE GREAT HUMAN ODYSSEY
    MOLIERE

also is LE TEMPS D'ANNA and MOLIERE released officially?

the rest i know and love ! you rule man

I'm not sure if LE TEMPS D'ANNA was released commercially. Maybe in Poland? I know it's not commercially available in the States, but I can't speak for anywhere else. MOLIERE has a commercial release, yes.

I'm excited to hear what you think about those scores you've never heard. I really like all of them. AFTER EVER AFTER, especially, is one that I think very few people are aware of, which is a tragedy given how beautiful it is.

The big cue from CRIMSON WING was actually used in THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING right at the end, at the most emotional part. A lot of youtube videos about the score for that film are actually highlighting music that was plugged into it and not something Johannsson wrote.

Enjoy!
  10. Demetris wrote
    i'd also add the magnificently beautiful cast away - alan silvestri which i am enjoying as we speak

And there's one that I haven't taken the time to listen to outside of the film. I shall remedy that.
  11. Demetris wrote
    David OC wrote
    Demetris wrote

The Nun might be interesting, considering that Korzeniowski studied under Penderecki himself. Not that he really heeded his advice wink
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  12. Captain Future wrote
    NP: The 13th Warrior (1999) - Jerry Goldsmith

A capable man, that Goldsmith fellow. I need to explore his work further.

biggrin

Before B. Tyler came along, this capable man scored the same type of films but actually wrote interesting and good to great scores to accompany them.

I'll get my coat... I know when to GTFO. tongue
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.