• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2017
    NP - Jerry Goldsmith, The Edge

A score that feels like it was always out there, waiting for Jerry to find it. Outstanding music to an outstanding movie.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2017 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Force Awakens (2015) - John Williams

With Alfred Newman's Fox Fanfare sneaked in up front. wink

Volker

Did you plop in a better take on the main theme, too?

wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Yeah, calling the main title "pure noise" is simply wrong.

Mars Attacks in an outstanding score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    i find all modern sherlock musical material, starting from the zimmer films and onto the series, terribly uninteresting, mediocre and quite mono-thematic when it comes to the soundscape, and musical devices (those gypsy colors...please, it's more an overkill now than Gerrard-like wailings were for ten years after Gladiator)
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2017 edited
    Battle of the Sexes - Nicholas Britell

Brilliant score, with his handling of a few long sequences especially impressive. The 'anthem' is a ripper. Seeing the film tonight and looking forward to hearing whst type of mix it gets.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    James Newton Howard - Snow Falling on Cedars

Prep work, actually. I'm going to write an article on it for a Polish quarterly I've been writing for for 2 years.

Beautiful, ethereal, love it. Despite the obvious and kinda disturbing Arvo Part temp-track love, still a very rewarding listen after all these years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    Atli Ovarsson - The Eagle

Catching up on his scores, since he will be at Fimucite this weekend.
  1. There's one piece I really love from that score, "The Return of the Eagle". The rest was pretty forgettable I think, but I adore that fiddle.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  2. That cue is probably Atli's best, but overall I found the score decent. It's, you know, not as much a quality drop as Vantage Point which goes a the toilet after a very cool Main Title. A time when Atli thought he was Harry Gregson-Williams.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. Yeah, I'm sure it wasn't bad. I seem to recall it took pains to sound rather small-scale and period-authentic, which wasn't what I had expected from an RC composer on a historical epic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Caliburn wrote

love this
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Demetris wrote
    Caliburn wrote

love this

Also Lorne Balfe's Ironclad, check it out.

n.p. Alexandre Desplat - Valerian. Kick ass (unlike the movie from what i read around..anyone seen it?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Here's an excellent piece from Sherlock for those calling it "generic".
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGFuXaXQvpw
  4. Demetris wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Caliburn wrote

love this

Also Lorne Balfe's Ironclad, check it out.

n.p. Alexandre Desplat - Valerian. Kick ass (unlike the movie from what i read around..anyone seen it?)

I did. It's not a masterpiece, but it's as creatively visual, badly acted and scripted as you would expect. If you don't expect a lot, it's beautiful eye candy and the first sequence (also in terms of scoring) is perhaps among the best stuff done this year.

And the first score piece, Pearls on Mul is beautiful in film.
  5. Demetris wrote
    Caliburn wrote

love this

I like it too. In my library I took the liberty to call it "The Eagle of the Ninth", one of my favourite books from childhood. I'd wish the film had been more loyal to Sutcliff's work. There was a serialised BBC version in 1977. I only saw bits of it on YouTube.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Captain Future wrote

I like it to. In my library I took the liberty to call it "The Eagle of the Ninth", one of my favourite books from childhood. I'd wish the film had been more loyal to Sutcliff's work. There was serialised BBC version in 1977. I only saw bits of it on YouTube.

Volker

One of my favorite books too, good old-fashioned historical fiction.
  6. NP: The Last Starfighter (1984) - Craig Safan

A fun symphonic romp. The Main Theme is a killer.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  7. Jerry Goldsmith - Rambo III

I own the whole trilogy on CD, but too lazy to pull it out and I have another CD in the tray as I'm working on something else.

I like the score in general, but the Afghanistan theme is, among many, a career highlight.
  8. For me the whole of Rambo 3 is a highlight. It's not too complex in the writing but there's the memorable themes and percussive action that just gets my pulse racing. It's 76 minutes of heavenly action scoring with some great melodic bits thrown in. There's nobody around that did it the way Jerry did it.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2017 edited
    Mark Felt - Daniel Pemberton

Full of wonderful cold, edgy piano and brass motifs built around insistent pulses. Feels very much like a modern updating of the kind of stuff Michael Small and David Shire were writing in the 70's for Alan J. Pakula and others. This is the 4th outstanding score within the last 12 months by one of film music's brightest talents. Still two more features to come by the end of the year too in including the Ridley Scott. Bring it on! ☺
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2017
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Jerry Goldsmith - Rambo III

I own the whole trilogy on CD, but too lazy to pull it out and I have another CD in the tray as I'm working on something else.

What's a CD?
  9. UNDER FIRE - Goldsmith

On compact disc. In a jewel case. With a booklet. Having pictures and text.

Nothing beats the physical touch of something truly special.

And the music ain't bad either... lick
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote

Nothing beats the physical touch of something truly special.

Well we've established we all like a good fiddle.
  10. NP: EL JUGADOR DE AJEDREZ - Alejandro Vivas

This is very good. It's gorgeous and very substantive. Lots of big orchestral moments and also a lot of beautiful cello solos. And the quality keeps up over the entire length of the album. This is one of the strongest scores of the year so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Lost In Space Bruce Broughton & Don Davis

This deserves classic status, a genuine 5 star score. The newly expanded version just confirms that even more. It's just a shame it was written for such a bad film (a bad film I enjoy -sort of- but bad nonetheless). It's so good. One of my top 10.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Cliffhanger Trevor

Jones

Decent score with an amazing theme.
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    Steven wrote

This deserves classic status, a genuine 5 star score. The newly expanded version just confirms that even more. It's just a shame it was written for such a bad film (a bad film I enjoy -sort of- but bad nonetheless). It's so good. One of my top 10.

I recently watched the film (which isn't great) and was greatly annoyed at how the last thirty seconds of "Into the Sun" is dialed out. I loved that build-up!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2017
    Steven wrote

Totally agree except for the film which I will never watch again.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2017
    NP: REIGN OF FIRE - EDWARD SHEARMUR

This score is angry as fuck. Always good when you feel angry as fuck.