• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2017
    why no zimmer credit?

As I mentioned earlier, Wallfish is the main composer on this. Zimmer served more as producer and synth programmer, with some additional ideas. They said this in the recent Facebook interview.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2017
    Blade Runner 2049

Oppressively grim, which is not very surprising, but sadly also tiresomely dull, which is. I thought Zimmer was actually the perfect composer for this (if Vangelis wasn’t in the equation himself) so this is a profound disappointment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2017
    Again, Zimmer was not heavily involved in this. He had a meeting with the producers, had a brainstorming meeting with Wallfish and the others, and then went off on tour the next day. Wallfish was left to compose the bulk of the score over 2 months. When Zimmer returned for a 10-day "break", he worked some more on this. Then he went off on tour again.

There are many things to like in this score as it is, but I'm confident that if Zimmer had worked on this alone, and over an extended period of time, we would have gotten something more consistent á la INTERSTELLAR. He could have gone nuts with the Vangelis vibes he knows so well.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Indeed. It’s a pity. What we’ve got is largely awful.
  1. NP: Nattens Engel (Angel of the Night) (1998) - Søren Hyldgaard

From the few tracks that are from the score, this is a lovely dark romantic orchestral score with some 'local' orchestrations. Very listenable.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. NP: Frankenstein Created Woman - James Bernard

Just a couple of tracks from this one but, as with most of Bernard's music, it's very good. Dark and powerful brass and rumbling percussion battles with a lovely strings melody for dominance - and that's just the opening cue! I wish more of his scores were available.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2017 edited
    Southall wrote
    Indeed. It’s a pity. What we’ve got is largely awful.

Oh, I disagree there. There's a pretty good 50-minute album in here, once I get to playlist it. 'Awful' is not a word I would use in any shape or form for this. But it could have been a lot better, given the right circumstances.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Yeah, the production of this album is not exactly good. It should've been shorter and I'm saying that without actually listening to the songs.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. NP: Half Human: The Story of the Abominable Snowman (1955) - Masaru Sato

A group of skiers on Mount Fiji are terrorised by a yeti. Like most of the films of this type, the 'monster' doesn't appear until well into the movie and this is reflected in Sato's score. The music gets all brassy quite a way into the running length of the album. Overall, it's an enjoyable listen with a lot of variety.
  5. NP: Queen of the Damned (2002) - Richard Gibbs

There's a lot to enjoy in this one. The opening track I found attention-grabbing and the 5-minute cue "On The Beach" - with its Egyptian-influenced orchestrations transforming into a powerful orchestral finale - is excellent. The score as a whole is definitely a moody piece rather than a score to shock.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Indignation - Jay Wadley

Not at all familiar with the composer but this is an exceptional small scale orchestral score.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Blade Runner 2049 - Wallfisch/Zimmer

Not doubting that it works a treat in the film but as a standalone listen this comes across as mind-numbingly dull. What a savage disappointment - shapeless, themeless, simplistic ambient textures for the most part. Can't imagine ever listening to this again (other than as a cure for insomnia).
  6. SPHERE - Elliot Goldenthal

That leaked unofficial expansion sounds fantastic and has a few insanely good cues. It needs to be released ASAP. 2018 is the 20th year anniversary, perhaps then.

The film is pretty cool by the way, I remember seeing it in the cinema and being thoroughly intrigued by the premise, and enjoying the really suspenseful scenes (the giant squid scene !!) People have complained about the weak ending but I like the idea of the 3 survivors purposefully forgetting the sphere exists. It gives the film a mystical, unclear yet satisfying ending. The score helps a lot in that respect.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's a great score that elevates a flawed but intriguing film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    was there ever a full commercial release to Carter Burwell's The Spanish Prisoner? It's one of my favorite movies, but all I can find is the main theme, which exceptional, is certainly not everything he wrote for the movie.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2017 edited
    Steven wrote
    It's a great score that elevates a flawed but intriguing film.

I don't remember the film at all, underwater aliens or something? Goldenthal's score on the other hand is magnificent, for me it's second only to Final Fantasy.

Gods but I'd love him to be scoring Marvel's upcoming Avengers: Infinity War. Not going to happen though.

Sad that he did two great Batman scores to two crappy Batman movies.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2017
    Man of Steel

Majestic, Memorable, Thematic, Intelligent, Complex.

How did Hans go from this to BvS and Dunkirk?
  7. Was BvS really such a big step down for you? (I mean, full disclosure, I don't much care for either score...)
  8. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (the Intrada release).

"I'd give real money if he'd just shut up!" That could have been the back cover quote if FSM had released the expansion.
  9. Cindylover1969 wrote
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (the Intrada release).

"I'd give real money if he'd just shut up!" That could have been the back cover quote if FSM had released the expansion.

One of my all time favourites. The Holst inspired overture and "Sign Off" always give me goosebumps.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  10. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Was BvS really such a big step down for you? (I mean, full disclosure, I don't much care for either score...)

I like both a lot. smile
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Was BvS really such a big step down for you? (I mean, full disclosure, I don't much care for either score...)

Really big step down. Compare the intricate interior "Do You Love These People" to the unlistenable "Must There Be a Superman".
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Aidabaida wrote
    Man of Steel

Meh, meh, meh, meh, meh.

Fixed. wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yeah biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Erik Woods wrote
    Aidabaida wrote
    Man of Steel

Meh, meh, meh, meh, meh.

Fixed. wink

-Erik-

what is this genius? you edited my post to reflect your own personal opinion? my liege, this has never been done on the internet before! how clever you must be!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Aidabaida wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Aidabaida wrote
    Man of Steel

Meh, meh, meh, meh, meh.

Fixed. wink

-Erik-

What is this genius? You edited my post to reflect your own personal opinion? My liege, this has never been done on the Internet before! How clever you must be!

Fixed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lol
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Spider-man: Homecoming Micheal Giacchino

Boy do I love this. For all their faults, Marvel have got a surprising amount right about their music.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2017 edited
    Steven wrote
    Spider-man: Homecoming Micheal Giacchino

Boy do I love this. For all their faults, Marvel have got a surprising amount right about their music.

I'm inclined to think that Giacchino's two Marvel scores are the best. Marvel does have a number of good scores, both Avengers films come to mind but let's be honest, neither is top-notch Silvestri/Elfman, Tyler wrote some good stuff too though I can't take his full scores. It's a shame that Marvels scores aren't as well interconnected and integrated as their films are.

I'm looking forward to what Mark Mothersbaugh comes up with for Thor Ragnorok.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I can't think of any better Marvel scores than Giacchino's, although Ant-Man is pretty much equal in my eyes. (Unless we count Powell's X-Men score... but even then, it's not something I enjoy as much as those three 'Marvel Cinematic Universe' scores.)