• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2017 edited
    Fave Zimmer scores.

1. Inception
    2. Interstellar
    3. Hannibal
    4. Thin Red Line
    5. Backdraft
    6. Beyond Rangoon
    7. Rush
    8. Spiderman 2
    9. Black Hawk Down
    10. The Da Vinci Code

Not too many after those.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2017
    1. Interstellar
    2. Pirates 3
    3. Last Samurai
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Aidabaida wrote
    1. Interstellar
    2. Pirates 3
    3. Last Samurai

Only three?

You asked for a top 10
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Fave Zimmer scores.

1. Inception
    2. Interstellar
    3. Hannibal
    4. Thin Red Line
    5. Backdraft
    6. Beyond Rangoon
    7. Rush
    8. Spiderman 2
    9. Black Hawk Down
    10. The Da Vinci Code

That is uncannily similar to mine. I'd have Lion King instead of Hannibal but otherwise the list would be the same (albeit it in a different order - which will not be disclosed under any circumstances).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Mountain Between Us Ramin Djawadi

Promising opening cue but quite dull, soap-opera like after that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Aidabaida wrote
    Thor wrote
    INTERSTELLAR is a superb score, but I doubt it's even going to crack my Top 10 Zimmer.

what are your top 10 zimmer then?

Well, I did this Top 10 five years ago:

http://montages.no/2012/07/topp-10-hans … undtracks/

But I might do a slightly different one now. Perhaps something like this:

1. BEYOND RANGOON
    2. The Rock
    3. Crimson Tide
    4. The Thin Red Line
    5. The Da Vinci Code
    6. Gladiator
    7. K2
    8. The Lion King
    9. Green Card
    10. Inception

Or something.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: PACIFIC HEIGHTS (Hans Zimmer)

I love it when it's all synth-poppy. Less so the 'swooshes' and banging for the thriller part. Fond memories of the movie, though.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. NP: Psalm 21 - Christer Christensson

imdb.com lists the composer as having composed only two scores: this one from 2009 and another in 2014. Which is a shame, as I think that this is a very competent effort. Very creepy but at the same time quite melodic.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2017
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Fave Zimmer scores.

1. Inception
    2. Interstellar
    3. Hannibal
    4. Thin Red Line
    5. Backdraft
    6. Beyond Rangoon
    7. Rush
    8. Spiderman 2
    9. Black Hawk Down
    10. The Da Vinci Code

That is uncannily similar to mine. I'd have Lion King instead of Hannibal but otherwise the list would be the same (albeit it in a different order - which will not be disclosed under any circumstances).

I'm trying to think of a time I faulted your taste?

Mmmm... Nope!
  2. I'd thought that you'd put K2 somewhere in your top 10, knowing that you liked it a lot.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: PACIFIC HEIGHTS (Hans Zimmer)

I love it when it's all synth-poppy. Less so the 'swooshes' and banging for the thriller part. Fond memories of the movie, though.

I remember liking the film and score but I've not seen it or heard the score for a very long time. Not sure how it would stand up now and I suspect it is of its time.
  3. I just thought there were NP mentions of that from you on this very board. I think of the early scores, it's one of the ones that hold up quite well, if only due to the quite prominent orchestral element. The Romantic elements in Hans' music are quite interesting and easily noticeable even in something like Paperhouse.
  4. NP: Dreamscape - Maurice Jarre

I struggle to really connect with any of Jarre's film and TV scores. And there's little for me to enjoy with this one. From both the choice of synths and the style he's chosen for the score, it's difficult to stick with this...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Dreamscape - Maurice Jarre

I struggle to really connect with any of Jarre's film and TV scores. And there's little for me to enjoy with this one. From both the choice of synths and the style he's chosen for the score, it's difficult to stick with this...

Wholeheartedly concur with you there - Jarre's synth music is nearly always absolutely abominable.
    And like you, have rarely connected to anything of his though there's maybe half a dozen orchestral scores of his I do like.

Jane - Philip Glass

Great to hear him back in the fold after quite some time but then calling this a 'new' score is a bit of a stretch. In other words, overly-familiar and rehashes his much abused, orchestral vocabulary to death. There are a couple of welcome exceptions though including a late cue that sounds like it could be straight out of a horror movie.
  5. NP: Back to the Future II (1989) - Alan Silvestri

A classic score from one of the strongest years in film scoring.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  6. I never liked the second Back to the Future score. It feels more like someone editing the first score to match the second film than an actual new score of its own. Super rehashy.
  7. To me it sound like a matured version of the first one. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I never liked the second Back to the Future score. It feels more like someone editing the first score to match the second film than an actual new score of its own. Super rehashy.

Agreed. Whimsical galore!
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Captain Future wrote
    To me it sound like a matured version of the first one. smile

Matured in what sense? I mean, it's literally the same exact notes just arranged in slightly different ways to match the timings of the new film...and there's never a sequence as coherent as "Clocktower".
  9. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    To me it sound like a matured version of the first one. smile

Matured in what sense? I mean, it's literally the same exact notes just arranged in slightly different ways to match the timings of the new film...and there's never a sequence as coherent as "Clocktower".

Because it has some additional thematic material. But you're right: In essence it's copy and paste. Great music nonetheless.
  10. E.T. from La-La-Land and Ben-Hur from Tadlow both sound magnificent. I don't have the time today to give these albums their due attention, I just sampled a few tracks. I also got the LP recording of Bernstein's The Back Cauldron (Varese Encore) which too awaits a proper listen.
  11. Btw: By direct comparison you have to admire the awesome sound of the FSM release of the original recording of Ben-Hur.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Timmer wrote
    Aidabaida wrote
    1. Interstellar
    2. Pirates 3
    3. Last Samurai

Only three?

You asked for a top 10

i asked Thor for a top 10. but everybody pitched in, so, hey!
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  12. 1. Rain Man
    2. Interstellar
    3. A World Apart
    4. The Lion King
    5. Inception
    6. The Thin Red Line
    7. Da VinciCode
    8. Driving Miss Daisy
    9. K2
    10. Green Card
    11. Pirates 3

-------

I love Gladiator, but chiefly for the material NOT by Zimmer.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2017 edited
    I find it very bizarre that nobody that has posted has 'The Prince of Egypt' in their ten. confused

Which is why I'm happy to be the odd one out:

1. The Prince of Egypt
    2. The Lion King
    3. Gladiator
    4. Broken Arrow
    5. Backdraft
    6. Interstellar
    7. Crimson Tide
    8. The Peacemaker
    9. The Thin Red Line
    10. The Rock
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I never liked the second Back to the Future score. It feels more like someone editing the first score to match the second film than an actual new score of its own. Super rehashy.

It's supposed to be rehashy... just like the film.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  13. I file The Rock with Nick Glenny-Smith though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    I file The Rock with Nick Glenny-Smith though.

Meh. The memorable themes are Zimmer's.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Meh. I won't discuss this under any circumstances.
  14. Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    I file The Rock with Nick Glenny-Smith though.

Meh. The memorable themes are Zimmer's.

But Hans wanted to take his name off the film as "it was always Nick's score". They didn't let him.