• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorWashu
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2017
    Suburbicon - Alexandre Desplat

It is decent.

Thank You For Your Service - Thomas Newman

Boring and not good. The weakest Newman score in a while.
  1. DreamTheater wrote
    INDY & THE TEMPLE OF DOOM

So Williams went with a chamber orchestra ensemble performing for the sequel to RAIDERS. An inspired choice on paper maybe, but a lot more mellow approach in the writing and with too many flat out dull moments, after only 10 minutes it becomes a real chore to sit through... And that main theme gets incredibly grating after a while. I mean how many times can one listen to that same Ta Ta Ta Taaa Ta Ta Taaa repeated ad nauseam. The sequel is even more unlistenable than the first one.

Fuck this, I'll put on some Brian Tyler instead. cheesy

Forget it! You ain't foolin' anyone. tongue
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I actually agree with the post. I can't get through the expanded version of TEMPLE OF DOOM. But the original album is another matter altogether.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Has there ever been an expanded release that you could sit through? Well, the Fox/Arista version of Return of the Jedi maybe. I believe you made some concessions there. wink

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    ROCKY IV.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thor wrote
    I actually agree with the post. I can't get through the expanded version of TEMPLE OF DOOM. But the original album is another matter altogether.

That's mostly because there's too much, right, not that any of the added material is of lesser quality? because for me there's not one dull moment in that score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor Ragnarok MM

OK I guess, to a point. Where's the theme? I like the synth stuff, the rest not so much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2017 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thor wrote

That's mostly because there's too much, right, not that any of the added material is of lesser quality? because for me there's not one dull moment in that score!

No, also because a lot of the material is just whimsical, directionless action music. The score -- which is brilliant in the movie and on the original album -- suffers immensely on the expanded release. It goes from being fantastic to sheer annoyance. I've never deleted a digital album more quickly.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. I think you meant to say "fucking brilliant action music written by Williams at the absolute peak of his career". Seriously. Name one action cue in there that's actually " direction less". That description is simply incorrect.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2017
    Southall wrote
    Thor Ragnarok MM

OK I guess, to a point. Where's the theme? I like the synth stuff, the rest not so much.

You couldn't hear the theme? The Ragnarok Suite has a bunch of thematic material in it that got spread out through the score....
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I think you meant to say "fucking brilliant action music written by Williams at the absolute peak of his career". Seriously. Name one action cue in there that's actually " direction less". That description is simply incorrect.

I'd rather not, as that would require going back and researching/re-listening to the dreadful expanded release (or even the expanded bootleg, which I owned before that). Instead, I'll just continue listening to my wonderful Japanese Polydor import.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    The Temple Of Doom expanded soundtrack, while not perfect, is still one of the best expanded albums ever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's probably one of the worst I can think of in the history of expanded releases, because it takes such a spectacular score and robs it of basically everything that makes it so great.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. No, it adds even more of what makes it great. Again, I'd ask you to actually point me in the direction of what material, specifically, is so awful as to completely blight the score in the way that you're describing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2017 edited
    It was not so much single tracks, but rather the whimsical, mickey-mousey nature of so much of it. The highlight tracks -- represented so well on the original Polydor -- were completely swallowed by the rest. And it just went on and on and on. I remember actually getting physically angry from listening to it ("how DARE they lambast such a great score with such a shitty presentation!").
    I am extremely serious.
  6. How DARE they release music that thousands of people are interested in hearing! One Norwegian's opinion is FAR more important!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    How DARE they release music that thousands of people are interested in hearing!

And that is important to me how?
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Why are you getting "physically angry" at a release? Just say it's not for you and don't listen to it again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Why are you getting "physically angry" at a release? Just say it's not for you and don't listen to it again.

Easy. If you love something, but then see it treated unfairly, you get angry and/or frustrated. But you're right; I did delete it relatively quickly (I think I made two attempts at sitting through it; both failed).
    I am extremely serious.
  8. I'm looking at the list of tracks that the expansion adds and am shaking my head. "The Nightclub Brawl"? "Approaching the Stones"? "Short Round Helps"? "The Broken Bridge/British Relief"? These are all fantastic cues that shouldn't be missing from any presentation of the score! How could you possibly think they detract?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I've already said I'm not willing to relive the trauma of re-listening to that release. So for as much as you ask, I'm not going to re-acquire or stream the release, listen to the tracks and then tell you exactly what it was with each individual track that didn't appeal to me. It was an overall impression.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Anthony wrote
    The Temple Of Doom expanded soundtrack, while not perfect, is still one of the best expanded albums ever.

I agree: it is one of those VERY rare occasions that it rises above the original release in musical narrative and cohesion. I have always found the original release too disjointed and it's been by far the Indy score I listened to least. The expanded album absolutely remedied that (even if I did cut a few tracks still).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  9. I never owned the original album of TEMPLE as it was hard to come by and I never listened to it. As a matter of fact CRUSADE was the only classic original album I ever had. That one was much too short and I just love the Concord expansion.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The original Polydor was indeed hard to come by. By some fortuitous circumstance, I got in touch with a Japanese film music fan in the late 90s. We made several exchanges over the next few years, and he managed to track down the TEMPLE CD for me -- at that time only available as a rare Japanese import. It's not my favourite INDY score/album (that remains CRUSADE), but probably my second favourite -- before RAIDERS and (obviously) CRYSTALL SKULL.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    Anthony wrote

I agree: it is one of those VERY rare occasions that it rises above the original release in musical narrative and cohesion. I have always found the original release too disjointed and it's been by far the Indy score I listened to least. The expanded album absolutely remedied that (even if I did cut a few tracks still).

Indeed so. This is one of the very few expanded albums I’ve ended up keeping on my iPod rather than returning to the original.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    You're all absolutely bonkers.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    That is the only conclusion that could possibly be drawn here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2017 edited
    You're all absolutely bonkers. - Thor

'm not willing to relive the trauma of re-listening to that release. - Thor
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2017
    Thor wrote
    It's probably one of the worst I can think of in the history of expanded releases, because it takes such a spectacular score and robs it of basically everything that makes it so great.

But...everything that makes the original album so good is still there, plus there's a whole lot more which makes it even better. confused
  10. yeah *sigh*