• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2017
    David OC wrote
    A Cure For Wellness - Benjamin Wallfisch

Not a great score by any means but it's growing on me. The waltz/lullaby main theme is a nice contrast with some of the darker material. 'Fueurwalzer' is definitely a highlight.

He has done so much better before.

David OC wrote
    It's Only the End of the World - Gabriel Yared

Nothing particularly distinguished for this most recent Xavier Dolan film. This is very familiar ground for Yared, with slowly churning melodic fragments being pushed ahead of one another, occasionally resolving into something interesting or soaring to hit a cathartic high. Two late cues, 'Louis et Antoine' and 'Avant l'orage' are the pick of them. Mildly diverting but nowhere near the standard of his brilliant Tom on the Farm for Dolan.

String-led?

n.p. BEAR MCCREARY _ Da Vinci's demons

Powerful stuff, beautiful orchestral arrangements.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    MICHAEL GIACCHINO - doctor strange

Saw the magnificent movie last night and i sincerely think it's the best marvel gig to date so far. Amazing directing, tight plot, very interesting and active characters for a change (no crappy snoozy borefests a la black widow and other useless characters like that Hawkeye dude etc) and the vfx/gfx are sooo well done and breathtakingly amazing. I sat through the whole credits just to read who did what and it was one of the hugest crowds i've ever seen on a credits roll! Glad i did sit through though 'cause as always with marvel, bonus thingies lie in the end credits sequence wink And the score is old-fashioned major orchestral kick-ass with balls. Gorgeous writing by Giacchino and the brass sound too was amazing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    David OC wrote
    It's Only the End of the World - Gabriel Yared

Nothing particularly distinguished for this most recent Xavier Dolan film. This is very familiar ground for Yared, with slowly churning melodic fragments being pushed ahead of one another, occasionally resolving into something interesting or soaring to hit a cathartic high. Two late cues, 'Louis et Antoine' and 'Avant l'orage' are the pick of them. Mildly diverting but nowhere near the standard of his brilliant Tom on the Farm for Dolan.

Ugh. Yared's score is OK-ish, but I severely disliked that film. It's everything that I find aggravating about certain forms of French-language cinema (lots of loud, intense screaming, non-stop dialogue etc.). My colleagues are HUGE fans of Dolan, but for my own part, the only film of his that I've truly liked is LAURENCE ANYWAYS. Oh, and his brief actor cameo in MARTYRS.

But something like LAURENCE tells me that there is great potential in this guy, so I'm waiting for the next film to wow me the way that did.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote

Great music, somewhat ruined by the excessive presentation.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: VICEROY'S HOUSE (A.R. Rahman)

It's OK so far. Nothing that will break my top 10 Rahman, but firmly molded in the 'crossover' style that can be very appealing (like Newman's brilliant HE NAMED ME MALALA and to a slightly lesser extent THE SECOND BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    DreamTheater wrote
    The Mission - Ennio Morricone

I'm not the biggest fan of Ennio, and I have very few scores by the man but I reckon I had to at least have this one as it is so highly regarded. It's very good, but also very Ennio, in a way that the man has a certain style that doesn't always speak to me, but when he unleashes the lovely Gabriel's Oboe or those sweet angelic voices, all is well in the universe.

I just added it to my collection this weekend :-) I heard it live a month ago. Goosebumps all over. It was even a suite without the famouse oboe solo!
  1. Jurassic Park Williams

It just doesn't get better than this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It does not.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. NP: Jurassic Park (1993) - bow John Williams

It doesn't indeed. Williams at the magnificent top of his game. There are few moments of music as imminently uplifting as that main theme. And the action music is a benchmark.
    I'm playing the original album.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. John Chambers wrote
    Jurassic Park Williams

It does actually... A number of Williams scores (5 at least) top this in my book. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. Caliburn wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    The Mission - Ennio Morricone

I'm not the biggest fan of Ennio, and I have very few scores by the man but I reckon I had to at least have this one as it is so highly regarded. It's very good, but also very Ennio, in a way that the man has a certain style that doesn't always speak to me, but when he unleashes the lovely Gabriel's Oboe or those sweet angelic voices, all is well in the universe.

I just added it to my collection this weekend :-) I heard it live a month ago. Goosebumps all over. It was even a suite without the famouse oboe solo!

To be fair I love how the album starts, but not how it ends. Would've preferred it the other way around.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. DreamTheater wrote
    John Chambers wrote
    Jurassic Park Williams

It does actually... A number of Williams scores (5 at least) top this in my book. smile

No ... not even Star Wars (any), not even Raiders, not even Jaws. Oh, and I was never that big a fan of E.T..

smile Volker
  6. DreamTheater wrote
    John Chambers wrote
    Jurassic Park Williams

In mine too, but to be honest there's not that much in it. We're talking about slight shades of genius here, after all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Nothing in the history of cinema comes CLOSE to JURASSIC PARK. Fact!
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    John Chambers wrote
    Jurassic Park Williams

In mine too, but to be honest there's not that much in it. We're talking about slight shades of genius here, after all.

Quite right, but I make a clear distinction in either totally brilliant or mostly brilliant. JP is the latter.

Empire Strikes Back is the former

Hook is the former

Etc.

This is not fact, but opinion. tongue
  8. Batman & Robin - Elliot Goldenthal

We'll always have this *, because it doesn't look likely we'll have something else in the near future.

* The Goldenthal assembled album. And it's fooking awesome ! cool
  9. Yes. And we'll always have Paris.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    John Chambers wrote
    Jurassic Park Williams

Same here. It's a wonderful score but easily topped by RAIDERS, CLOSE ENCOUNTERS, E.T., STAR WARS and even its sequel THE LOST WORLD.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2017 edited
    It's #8 on my Williams list. Those themes are absolutely fantastic, but some of the rest of it drags it below some of his other works for me.

NP - "Final Round" from REAL STEEL - Danny Elfman

Part of me acknowledges how cheesy this is every time I listen to it, but part of me finds this music totally uplifting and inspiring. I am conflicted. I guess that makes it a guilty pleasure, eh?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MUNICH (John Williams)

A lot of this is Williams in Shore/Cronenberg mode (dark, droning textures), but I love the ethnic bits. A spectacular film too.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. NP: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands - Alain Johannes

Liking the growling electric guitar that features on this album. The tribal feel of "Night Encounters" is very catchy.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  11. NP: Power Rangers - Brian Tyler

Very much a by-the-numbers score this one; it all sounds fine but there's just no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2017
    Thor wrote
    NP: MUNICH (John Williams)

A lot of this is Williams in Shore/Cronenberg mode (dark, droning textures), but I love the ethnic bits. A spectacular film too.

Good score that I rarely play. The film is one of Spielberg's very best. A superb film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  12. NP: Logan - Marco Beltrami

Not really doing much for me this one so far.
  13. NP: Styx: Shards of Darkness - H-Pi

An unusual game score this one. Duduk, ehru, a cello quartet, trombone, a tuba, timpani and percussion feature and create quite an interesting sound.
  14. NP: CHIPS - Fil Eisler

Sounds as unappealing as the movie looks from the trailers I've seen.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Pawn Sacrifice - James Newton Howard

Very short score that doesn't create too much of an impression until the magnificent, stirring 5 minute final cue 'Bobby Wins' which is in a class of its own.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Demetris wrote

Great music, somewhat ruined by the excessive presentation.

Agree, too much filler esp. in the later half of the album, kinda spoils the overall experience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Logan - Marco Beltrami

Not really doing much for me this one so far.

And it probably wont' do anything either wink nicht gut
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Power Rangers - Brian Tyler

Very much a by-the-numbers score this one; it all sounds fine but there's just no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians.

no passion and no excitement is key phrase for his post fast-five era scores, imo