• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. PawelStroinski wrote
    Harry Gregson-Williams and Hans Zimmer - Smilla's Sense of Snow

Just appeared on Spotify a few days ago. Atmospheric and decent. And yeah, Hans did something on this one, just the theme, but still.

I like this one too. The action, while restrained, is interesting.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. That is my knowledge too. As a matter of fact "Jedi" sounds better on the earlier Fox then on RCA/Sony.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. DreamTheater wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Harry Gregson-Williams and Hans Zimmer - Smilla's Sense of Snow

Just appeared on Spotify a few days ago. Atmospheric and decent. And yeah, Hans did something on this one, just the theme, but still.

I like this one too. The action, while restrained, is interesting.

Yeah, sometimes it sounds like a dirge-like version of The Rock.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. HALO 3 - Marty O'Donnell & Mike Salvatori

Their masterpiece... I adore this score. It was the high-point of the series, musically.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. MichaƂ Lorenc - A Prominent Patient (Masaryk)

A Polish composer (with good contacts, though) working on a Czech movie and winning the Czech Oscar for it. This score is possibly the best Lorenc put out recently (he had a share of duds recently, especially for a much maligned film presenting the conspiracy theory on the airplane crash from 2010 which killed, among others, our president). Available on Spotify for those who know and value some of his early stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2017
    I think I only know BASTARD of his work, as well as BLOOD & WINE with Jack Nicholson.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2017
    NP: THE LOVELY BONES (Brian Eno)

I love this film and score. Don't know why everyone was coming down so hard on the former.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Just finished Menken's new(?) score for BEAUTY AND THE BEAST.

It's got all the old songs and a handful of new ones. The deluxe album has two discs, one for songs and one for score. It's really kind of hard for me to listen to the old songs sung by the new cast. I'm so used to the originals that the new ones frequently bother me. The tempo is too slow on several of them, and the vocal performances lack something. It seems like a lot of the original version were sung with more character or invested with more emotion. Seeing them in the film might change my mind, I guess. But the title song is the worst. I find myself totally distracted by the accept Emma Thompson is affecting. It was never going to be as sweet as when Angela Lansbury sung it, but it might have been tolerable if Thompson had just sung it rather than trying to sound like someone she's not.

That said, the new orchestrations and new orchestral compositions are good. I enjoyed more than a few of the tracks on disc 2. And the new songs have some nice melodies and performances. In the end, it's still one of the better scores I've heard from this year so far. It just seems unnecessary.
  7. War of the Worlds - John Williams

I've seen the film a few times, I love it and I've always felt the score is absolutely perfect for it.
    This is my first ever listen of the music away from the film. I finally understand why it works so well in context. It's an album I never got around to buying because the score is so unnerving, unsettling, and appropriately dissonant, that I always thought I could never enjoy it on its own terms... Well that has changed with this listen. The recording and performances are first rate and Williams at his most UN-melodic but astoundingly intense is quite an experience. An experience I can see myself take when I'm in the right mood, but it's not something I should put on whenever I'm feeling down, as it won't do a thing to lift my spirits...
  8. NP: The Promise (Recording Sessions) - Klaus Badelt

Fuck me, this is amazing music. I always adored the original album, but I have to say there's a lot of great stuff that wasn't on the album. It's true that the themes are used extensively, but always in a slightly different variation. And finally I have the 3 tracks that make up for the trailer music of the film. Klaus Badelt's masterpiece!
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  9. Is there an album of this commercially available or do you have a promo or something?
  10. Suite from 'Memoirs of a Geisha' for Cello and Orchestra Williams

Haven't listened to this in far too long, absolutely stunning!
  11. christopher wrote
    Is there an album of this commercially available or do you have a promo or something?

"Recording sessions" implies a leaked bootleg.
  12. John Chambers wrote
    Suite from 'Memoirs of a Geisha' for Cello and Orchestra Williams

Haven't listened to this in far too long, absolutely stunning!

From 'The Music of America' album. Yes that whole album is wonderful except for that 5 track concerto, which is not my thing at all. As far removed from his film music as can be. And I must say that Geisha suite is interesting as a different interpretation but I much prefer the cues on the score album.
  13. PawelStroinski wrote
    christopher wrote
    Is there an album of this commercially available or do you have a promo or something?

Got it. Thanks.
  14. NP - THE HELP - T. Newman

This is my favorite of his albums in the last decade or so. Some of those tracks at the end are just sublime!
  15. christopher wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    christopher wrote

Got it. Thanks.

When you say 'got it' I assume that in all meanings regarding this topic? wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  16. Amistad - Maestro Williams

Brilliant ! For some reason I'm getting highly emotional this time around, even though I've heard the album many times before. That's because I can't unthink the harsh images while hearing certain cues, so this turns out to be a very rewarding listen. Dry Your Tears Afrika is as stunning a main theme as the one he composed for a certain space opera.
  17. Rascals and Robbers - James Horner

One of FSM's final releases, coupled with a short and restrained score by Goldsmith.

Written for a 1982 film, as an appetizer of greater things to come, not to mention a couple of now legendary Hornerisms this is sort of fun, but it doesn't develop into something that I would call must-have. It has a nice enough main theme which evokes the adventurous nature of Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn, but the darker material is a turn-off. There's a bit too much of that closing off the album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2017
    NP: THE RIVER (John Williams)

I love this score. Jazzy and soulful, with plenty of gorgeous Americana. The woodwinds are to die for.
    I am extremely serious.
  18. ^ A lovely score indeed.

NP: The Reivers (1969) - John Williams

This one is great too. One of Williams' crucial pre Star Wars scores.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2017 edited
    NP: SPACECAMP (John Williams)

I've always been rather tough on this one, but it has grown on me. It's still middle-of-the-road Williams, but somewhat better than what I have given it credit for over the years. I love "Training Montage", but I doubt Williams had anything to do with synth programming.
    I am extremely serious.
  19. Mulan - Jerry Goldsmith / Matthew Wilder / David Zippel

The FYC promo is the one I want released by Disney (Intrada) in 2018. Of course I would take it as a 2-disc release with everything written and accounted for, but this solo disc totally does it for me at 70 minutes. Like this it's a well rounded presentation, not too long, not too short... the only thing I would change is put the songs at their correct positions among the score, The Lion King style. love
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Still enjoying your original soundtrack of that, Gilles, which is perfect for my needs!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: EMPIRE OF THE SUN (John Williams)

Top 10 JW for me.
    I am extremely serious.
  20. Thor wrote
    Still enjoying your original soundtrack of that, Gilles, which is perfect for my needs!

Yeah well, it wasn't perfect for me, but that promo is... wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2017
    Thor wrote
    NP: EMPIRE OF THE SUN (John Williams)

Top 10 JW for me.

Way outside top 10 JW for me but the fact I think it's great shows how high JW's quality bar is.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  21. "Turbulence 2: Fear of Flying" (Don Davis)

Sequel to the first film that Shirley Walker scored (released by LLLR).

I'm giving the score my first real listen since I got a copy of this promo years ago. Unlike Walker, Davis appears to have made the whole score with synths. He's even credited with performing music, on the IMDb page for the film. Did they not care to budget for an orchestra? Did they blow the music budget on a previous composer who didn't work out? Who knows.

Maybe you like/love his Matrix scores, maybe you know his excellent work from "SeaQuest DSV", but there's no maybe that is almost exclusively picture-servicing boring material. Same ideas repeated over and over again, long sections of just hte same thing, little to no variance in use of instruments to perform the theme -- if it begins with a synth french horn, you can gurantee it will stay that way until he music shifts.

And to cap off all this unremarkable music are two odd bookends of drum machine-lead quasi power anthem performances.

The only highlights are three cues: the only three quite strings and woodwinds pieces, two that sounds like something pulled from Mark Snow's work on "The X-Files" and another bit sandwiched in the third part of the end credits quote and totally out of place. The cues, if anybody has the promo and wants to hear them and avoid the rest, are: three, six and that part inside the end credits, track twenty-three.

Listening to it, you kind of wonder just how much input beyond orchestrations he might have had in scores by other composers (unless he's just taking ideas), 'cause parts here and there you have heard elsewhere: two parts from "Star Trek: Generations", one part from a cue from "Titanic", and something else I don't recall.

This is a score that doesn't deserve a release. The only person who probably wants this, is that one FSM member (and you probably know who I'm talking about...). Thsoe looking to prune you collection and have this, good news...

Funny Note:

I went over to soundtrackcollector.com to look at the tracklisting and at the bottom of the page -- a page about a score to a film where terrorists hijack a plane and plan to kill everybody aboard -- an advertisement for cheap air fare. Advertising FAIL.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2017
    NP: ALWAYS (John Williams)

Another one I've always counted among the weakest JW scores, but which has grown considerably in appreciation -- probably because of my 180 in terms of preference for the textural and 'poetic' over the slam-bang, in-your-face action and theme music of yesteryear. I used to hate "Pete in Heaven", for example -- now it's something to get lost in, in a positive sense.
    I am extremely serious.
  22. I've never been a fan of always.