• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2017
    DreamTheater wrote
    It doesn't have any thematic base, it's inconsistent and with no personality whatsoever.

The second half, yes. Menu music if ever I heard it.
  1. I simply don't understand how you can call Halo Wars 2 a well-orchestrated score, because all I hear is a generic approach to music composition which has been done to death already. Every cue blends into the next, which in this case is not a good thing. That might work if the score has a strong thematic base, which in this case it doesn't. The action music all sounds the same, very much like a certain popular film composer that I shall not name here. tongue

It's background wallpaper scoring and I get absolutely nothing out of it.

No correction, I got something out of it: irritation. angry
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Halo Wars 2 did nothing for me. I agree it's generic ho-hum music.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Halo Wars 2 did nothing for me. I agree it's generic ho-hum music.

Yup!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2017
    I like it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Same.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I have no interest in seeking this out, but from the descriptions, it sounds like the exact anti-thesis of something I would enjoy.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I thought it was okay. Not something I'll be returning to, though.

NP - ERMESSENDA - Arnau Bataller

I decided to revisit this one this morning. I had only heard it once before, and that was some time ago. I was surprised by how lovely it was. It's really very nice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2017 edited
    christopher wrote
    NP - ERMESSENDA - Arnau Bataller

I decided to revisit this one this morning. I had only heard it once before, and that was some time ago. I was surprised by how lovely it was. It's really very nice.

Yeah, it's very good!
    I am extremely serious.
  3. The Spielberg Williams Collaboration Vol 1

Great recordings. Sugarland Express is my personal highlight on this album.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  4. War Horse - John Williams

Of all the scores from the last 15 years this JW score is still my favorite. In my book it beats TFA hands down in terms of thematic majesty and beauty, even the couple of action cues here are friggin' excellent. It's a most rewarding listen, something that I don't get with Episode VII. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote
    The Spielberg Williams Collaboration Vol 1

Great recordings. Sugarland Express is my personal highlight on this album.

Volker

It's the only track I skip. Taken at a far too slow tempo. I prefer Kunzel's interpretation of the theme!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. Quick, help me, Erik, which Kunzel album features that theme?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote
    Quick, help me, Erik, which Kunzel album features that theme?

https://www.amazon.com/Salute-Great-Sco … B00000HYH8
  6. That's another compilation I adore and can recommend to anyone.

When Kunzel & the CPO were on fire, they nailed it.
    Also those amazing recordings !!! shocked Hi-end (read: expensive) audio equipment was invented for them.
  7. It's such a great album, I actually only picked it up last month to hear the 'Lost World' concert arrangement I knew wasn't on the new Spielberg/Williams album. As Erik says the 'Sugarland Express' recording is great but there isn't a bad track or performance on there!
  8. I'll surely check it out. Thanks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2017
    NP: HOOK (John Williams)

I've never be able to properly embrace the whimsical "Ultimate War" track, but other than that, this remains one of my alltime favourite soundtracks; certainly in my top 50, and also Top 10 Williams. It should go without saying that this is the original Epic album.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Oh my, don't get me started about Hook. It was love at first sound. Sitting in the theatre back in '91, it was a magical experience that has never been replicated. And the music plays a large part of my appreciation of the film.

I was beyond ecstatic when LLL announced it in 2012 (5 years already shocked ) Too bad the finished product ended up with a couple of issues, most of which I have 'fixed', including that Ultimate War track, which is the most lavish, intricate, and insane piece of writing I've ever heard from Williams. I mean there must be 10 or so themes in those nearly 18 minutes and how the maestro mixes it all into one consistent whole and makes the themes come to the forefront whenever the character is on screen, without it becoming too mickey-mousey still perplexes me to this day. What exquisite craftsmanship ! punk
  10. NP: LOST YEARS: A PEOPLE'S STRUGGLE FOR JUSTICE - Darren Fung

This is really great. One of the strongest scores of 2011, I think. Anyone who enjoys that hybrid of western scoring sensibilities and Chinese instrumental solos will love this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    christopher wrote
    NP: LOST YEARS: A PEOPLE'S STRUGGLE FOR JUSTICE - Darren Fung

This is really great. One of the strongest scores of 2011, I think. Anyone who enjoys that hybrid of western scoring sensibilities and Chinese instrumental solos will love this.

I love it!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2017 edited
    NP: JURASSIC PARK (John Williams)

For me, this is a bit like church service. I listen to the album so rarely these days, just to preserve the enthusiasm for my favourite and most-listened-to score of all time. It's only for special moments. I'd rather not cut it off midway.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: SCHINDLER'S LIST (John Williams)

God, I probably haven't listened to this in 10 years. So powerful. Especially the "Immolation" track.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. The Great Movie Scores from the Films of Steven Spielberg

This is the Kunzel recording that Erik was talking about. Scores represented is about 85 % Williams, 10 % Goldsmith and 5 % Quincy Jones. As a compilation and re-recording of fan favorites it's fantastic of course and even the producers of this album acknowledge that Poltergeist is pretty much a Spielberg film. It's never been officially recognized but everyone knows who really pulled the strings on that production. cheesy

And does this hold the only available concert version of Parade of the Slave Children? punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DreamTheater wrote
    And does this hold the only available concert version of Parade of the Slave Children? punk

No, it's on the Spielberg/Williams collection (disc one).
  12. I imagined it would be, right after I posted. I'll know soon enough (it's been ordered).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2017
    The Kunzel and Williams re-recorded versions of Slave Children are vastly different.

-Erik
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    After months of life getting in the damn way, finally starting to work through the stacks of new CD's I've had accumulating for decoration purposes it seems.

In the last day or so:

Westworld - Ramin Djawadi

Only heard the first disc so far but it's superb, far better than the show which occasionally comes frustratingly close to something special before drifting off into mediocrity again. Djawadi's many themes are great - including the main theme, the one for Dr. Ford and, best of all, the 'Sweetwater' theme. Love the version in 'Nitro Heist' which is possibly the highlight of Disc 1 (though the 'player piano' takes on the trio of Radiohead songs and others are brilliantly pulled off).

Gold - Daniel Pemberton

Definitely one of my favourites of the year to date with its fascinating rhythmic and melodic colours. Found myself savouring something in virtually every cue.

Nocturnal Animals - Abel Korzeniowski

Slightly one dimensional and inferior to his other work but there's still 5 or 6 great cues here for what is an admittedly pointless, close-to-awful film.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Don't Be Afraid of the Dark - Marco Beltrami and Buck Sanders

Can't think of many horror/suspense scores of recent times in this league. Absolutely love every note of it. Brilliantly orchestrated and feels a trifle old school (blissfully) in relying so heavily on real instruments to generate colour and suspense rather than lazy electronics and generic string sustains.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2017 edited
    BEAUTY AND THE BEAST 2017 | alan menken

shocked punk

A child favourite of mine, together with The Lion King, Pocahontas and Hunchback my most listened Disney musical/score. The Overture is fantastic. The newly recorded tracks are all full of those wonderful times from 25 (?) years ago. And we finally got a lot more music from Menken. The new song Evermore and its theme (and the great variation in the Overture) is also superb. However, the voice in the finale track is perhaps too much over the top. The main song of the film gets another wonderful rendition, but I missed the voice of Angela Lansbury. I'm not too fond of the Aria song and the tracks marked with "demo".

All in all, probably one of the best rerecordings this year. wink biggrin

Has anyone seen the movie?
    Kazoo