• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2017
    Hellboy - Marco Beltrami

This expansion (even if it is overkill) is still utterly glorious. The action music is probably the most dynamic of Beltrami's career ( I could listen to something like 'Fireproof' all goddamn day long).

But dear Lord, it's the themes too - they've only matured like fine wine in the intervening years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2017 edited
    David OC wrote
    Nocturnal Animals - Abel Korzeniowski

Slightly one dimensional and inferior to his other work but there's still 5 or 6 great cues here for what is an admittedly pointless, close-to-awful film.

I found this to be one of the most disappointing Korzeniowski scores I've heard in years, but unlike you, I loved the film. Extremely tense and gripping. And gorgeous photography, as usual with Ford's movies. What about that opening?!! shocked
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    BEAUTY AND THE BEAST 2017 | alan menken
    Has anyone seen the movie?

Not yet. My colleagues loved it. I haven't been sold on any of the live action versions so far, but maybe this is the one to buck the trend. Looking forward to hearing the score, first and foremost, being a longtime favourite. The new arrangements, themes etc.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Thor wrote
    David OC wrote
    Nocturnal Animals - Abel Korzeniowski

Slightly one dimensional and inferior to his other work but there's still 5 or 6 great cues here for what is an admittedly pointless, close-to-awful film.

I found this to be one of the most disappointing Korzeniowski scores I've heard in years, but unlike you, I loved the film. Extremely tense and gripping. And gorgeous photography, as usual with Ford's movies. What about that opening?!! shocked

I agree with regards to the whole abduction sequence Thor - yes it was gripping. My main sticking point with the film (and I honestly couldn't get past it) was just how absurd Michael Shannon's character was. I may be assuming too much here but his 'methodology' seemingly bore no resemblance to any reasonable expectations of what any police officer would do in the circumstances. Like when he takes Gyllenhaal in to identity perps and has him doing it face to face with them in the room. And the whole botched finale when they track down Aaron Johnson's character. To me the whole thing just ran aground in incongruity whilst being far too interested in austere, detached intellectual abstractions over any verifiable concrete reality. Of course that's often not a problem at all but in this instance it just annoyed the hell out of me!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sheen's role was one of the best things about it, IMO. The fact that you're never really sure about his motivations or his legitimacy as a law enforcer; what possible thoughts are murking behind his dark (but somehow likeable) exterior. It's part of what creates the tension. It could also be read as a form of apathy towards the crime around him, as he's nearing the end of his own life; or a desire to see one last thing through -- even if goes against conventional methods.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Interesting take on it Thor. It was certainly a divisive film. I liked A Single Man a lot but was bitterly disappointed this time around.

All American - John Paesano

Rudy-lite, you might call it. The busy game time cues are more than serviceable and the main theme is solid though familiar in reflecting a much abused style. I only know Paesano from his underrated Maze Runner scores but he has ability and look forward to seeing if he makes a mark.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: SLEEPERS (John Williams)

One of JW's most underrated scores in the last 25 years, IMO. Modern, brooding, beautiful, harrowing all at the same time. It's also spectacular in the brilliant film -- probably containing the darkest footage Williams has ever scored (the boy rape sequences).
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Bregt wrote
    BEAUTY AND THE BEAST 2017 | alan menken

shocked punk

A child favourite of mine, together with The Lion King, Pocahontas and Hunchback my most listened Disney musical/score. The Overture is fantastic. The newly recorded tracks are all full of those wonderful times from 25 (?) years ago. And we finally got a lot more music from Menken. The new song Evermore and its theme (and the great variation in the Overture) is also superb. However, the voice in the finale track is perhaps too much over the top. The main song of the film gets another wonderful rendition, but I missed the voice of Angela Lansbury. I'm not too fond of the Aria song and the tracks marked with "demo".

All in all, probably one of the best rerecordings this year. wink biggrin

Has anyone seen the movie?

Haven't seen it yet. Two of my brothers have. One hated it and the other loved it. I really love the original, but based on the previews, I doubt I'll like the new one much. All the enchanted household items seem really inexpressive and lifeless. All the clips of Emma Watson I've seen where she's singing are pretty awkward-looking. Either she doesn't know how to act while singing, or Condon doesn't know how to direct her while she's singing. Overall, it seems like a completely unnecessary film. The ONLY reason to make it is the almighty dollar. Some of these live-action remakes have actually tried to do things to justify their existence, but when you stick so closely to the original, I just have to wonder what the point is. CINDERELLA was like that. Take the original film, delete the songs and the talking mice, and add the words "have courage and be kind" 237 times and there it is. Now this BEAUTY AND THE BEAST even has all the original music! And that for me is a major problem.

The new songs are fine. EVERMORE is nice, and Dan Stevens has a surprisingly nice voice. But the new versions of the original songs really annoy me, for the most part. I think the original singers did a much better job imbuing the songs with character and emotion. I get very little of either from any of Belle's songs. Ewan McGregor's on-again/off-again French accent is distracting in "Be Our Guest." But worst of all is the title song. Like you, I really miss Angela Lansbury. Her version was so sweet. The accent Emma Thompson is affecting in that song is the only thing I can hear, and it really annoys me. The only song from the original that might have actually been improved upon was Gaston's song. Some of the new lyrics were funny. Menken's score is good. I'm glad for the new music. I was a little disappointed that his score for the transformation scene was just a rehash of the original music for that scene. It's not bad - I had just hoped he would write something new and grand.

Calling it a rerecording is clever, and not far off. smile
  2. David OC wrote
    All American - John Paesano

Rudy-lite, you might call it. The busy game time cues are more than serviceable and the main theme is solid though familiar in reflecting a much abused style.

That's a very accurate assessment of the score, I think.

NP - JANE EYRE - Dario Marianelli

This is good. The solo violin work is excellent. "Yes!" is one of my favorite Marianelli cues.
  3. I agree with all of the above about the new Beauty and the Beast, except that I was actually quite glad that Menken stuck to the old transformation cue because now we have a recording of it that sounds far fuller and lusher than the old version. I miss the transition into the choral finale, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    christopher wrote

This is good. The solo violin work is excellent. "Yes!" is one of my favorite Marianelli cues.

Fantastic score -- Marianelli's best by far.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Thor wrote
    christopher wrote

By far? I actually prefer his PRIDE AND PREJUDICE and ATONEMENT scores to JANE EYRE, though it is up there with those two in my esteem. Do you really think JANE EYRE is far better than those?
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    NP - THOR - Patrick Doyle

I think we may have beat up on this one a bit too much when it first came out, but in hindsight, I think it's got one of the best themes for the MCU so far. It's certainly more memorable to me than most. I thought Tyler did a fine job on the sequel, and I remember liking the theme, but right now I can't remember a note of it.

They made a major mistake on this album, though. They did not include the biggest version of the main theme. It should have been a part of "Can You See Jane," but they cut it short. The part they didn't include on the album starts at 0:48 of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pszfw8Gb6F4. It's the biggest moment of the whole score! How can you not include that on the album?
  5. The Legend of Zelda 30th Anniversary Concert

A concert performance from 2016. Brilliant ! This is happy memorable music, impossible to not love. Especially if one knows the Zelda games, its musical legacy with its rich themes and happy uncomplicated melodies. But there's plenty of excitement to be had too. Zelda games have a decent amount of boss battles. smile

The suite arrangements are amazing !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMXb3CkArWU
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. Christopher, I'm pretty sure that's just the "Thor Kills the Destroyer" cue tracked in for the credits, no? I mean, the transition works very well and it's a bit of a shame not to have that on the album, but all the music is there.
  7. "Sons of Odin" is a favourite guilty pleasure of mine.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  8. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Christopher, I'm pretty sure that's just the "Thor Kills the Destroyer" cue tracked in for the credits, no? I mean, the transition works very well and it's a bit of a shame not to have that on the album, but all the music is there.

You are right! That's great. Although revisiting that scene between Thor and the Destroyer in the film, I don't think they just tracked that into the end of the film. The track "Thor Kills the Destroyer" is exactly what is playing at the end of the film, but not exactly what is playing while he's actually killing the destroyer! It starts the same, but ends differently. See for yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfBsH24DTaY. I think I'll move that track around to the end when I play the score from now on.
  9. Captain Future wrote
    "Sons of Odin" is a favourite guilty pleasure of mine.

smile Volker

No need for guilt, there. That's a good piece of music!
  10. NP: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) - Tyler Bates

No masterpiece but ground solid. I'm quite stoked for the sequel score.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  11. christopher wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Christopher, I'm pretty sure that's just the "Thor Kills the Destroyer" cue tracked in for the credits, no? I mean, the transition works very well and it's a bit of a shame not to have that on the album, but all the music is there.

You are right! That's great. Although revisiting that scene between Thor and the Destroyer in the film, I don't think they just tracked that into the end of the film. The track "Thor Kills the Destroyer" is exactly what is playing at the end of the film, but not exactly what is playing while he's actually killing the destroyer! It starts the same, but ends differently. See for yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfBsH24DTaY. I think I'll move that track around to the end when I play the score from now on.

Yep, "Thor Kills the Destroyer" is the end credits track and the film version of that scene is quite different (better, I almost daresay. I love that it uses the brothers' theme).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2017 edited
    NP : NOTES ON A SCANDAL - Philip Glass

It won't convert anyone who doesn't like Glass music but I love it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    BEST OF 2011 | playlist by christopher (maintitles member)

SPotify is great, and I discovered a lot of music via christopher's playlists actually. So many beautiful pieces of music I had never heard. Keep creating and sharing those playlists Christopher! punk
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2017
    Timmer wrote

Anyone particular in mind? biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    christopher wrote
    Thor wrote
    christopher wrote

By far? I actually prefer his PRIDE AND PREJUDICE and ATONEMENT scores to JANE EYRE, though it is up there with those two in my esteem. Do you really think JANE EYRE is far better than those?

Yup, even if I think they're fine too. I think my second favourite after JANE EYRE is SALMON FISHIN IN YEMEN, actually.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    The Watcher - Marco Beltrami

Haven't heard this in so long. Sometimes you totally lose track of how good or not these 2nd tier scores from major composers are.
    In this case it comes as a very pleasant surprise to discover how great this is. Vintage Beltrami action ('Grif Gets a Girl' and 'Grif on the Go' are spine-tinglingly good) and great diversity in general though occasionally contains slightly more electronics than he usually favours. If this was released today we'd be drooling all over it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Anyone particular in mind? biggrin

Jehovah's Witness of course.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    Joris de Man, The Flight and others - Horizon: Zero Dawn

A lot of good stuff in this 4 hour soundtrack.
  12. 4 hours? shocked

Dear god that's overkill but I do want to give this a listen since Joris De Man is in my good book since the mostly excellent orchestral cues from Killzone 2.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  13. Conan the Destroyer - Basil the Barbarian

The fantastic Prague Philharmonic recording. The ballpark ain't big enough to contain this homerun. cool

If you read this Brian *, now this is how you score an action adventure film.

* Not likely but one never knows
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Conan the Destroyer - Basil the Barbarian

The fantastic Prague Philharmonic recording. The ballpark ain't big enough to contain this homerun. cool

If you read this Brian *, now this is how you score an action adventure film.

* Not likely but one never knows

This rerecording really showcased how good this music previously dismissed by many film score fans is. Fabulous score!