• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Bregt wrote
    BEST OF 2011 | playlist by christopher (maintitles member)

SPotify is great, and I discovered a lot of music via christopher's playlists actually. So many beautiful pieces of music I had never heard. Keep creating and sharing those playlists Christopher! punk

punk That's great! That's one that I've been working on a lot lately and will continue to fine tune over the next few months. I'm very happy to hear that someone appreciates that smile
  2. NP - POWER RANGERS - DT's favorite composer

First listen, and probably the last. He's done much better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2017
    Damien: Omen 2 - JG

Quite different from its predecessor, perhaps a small step towards its successor with its grander sound and all. It misses the defter moments of the first score but it's very entertaining.

I realise (for some reason for the first time) how odd my parents must have thought I was when I asked for this album for Christmas 20-something years ago.
  3. christopher wrote
    NP - POWER RANGERS - DT's favorite composer

True. Nice theme, but an atrocious mix and temp-track love and.... just been better.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    The Railway Man - David Hirschfelder

Feels like the most mature and complex work of his career. Moving, haunting and occasionally eerie, it superbly burrows beneath the surface of the narrative's seething emotions. Great film too.
  4. PawelStroinski wrote
    christopher wrote
    NP - POWER RANGERS - DT's favorite composer

True. Nice theme, but an atrocious mix and temp-track love and.... just been better.

The theme is super bland too!
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    christopher wrote
    Bregt wrote
    BEST OF 2011 | playlist by christopher (maintitles member)

SPotify is great, and I discovered a lot of music via christopher's playlists actually. So many beautiful pieces of music I had never heard. Keep creating and sharing those playlists Christopher! punk

punk That's great! That's one that I've been working on a lot lately and will continue to fine tune over the next few months. I'm very happy to hear that someone appreciates that smile

Can I have a link? Always looking for good Spotify playlists.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: STEPMOM (John Williams)

A forgettable, soapy Chris Colombus vehicle, but with a wonderful Williams score that paints wintery landscapes in broad strokes (love those guitar solos by Chris Parkening).
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Executive Decision - Mr. Goldsmith

This has always been a guilty pleasure, even at its terribly short length. Now it's expanded & remastered it's even more exciting. Two things that the man has always excelled at: themes and action. There's plenty of that in this expansion. Well ok the theme is not among his greatest or most memorable, but as an action motif it's incredibly addictive, and gives certain cues amazing propulsive qualities. Jerry's forte and something I miss in modern action scoring.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: STAR WARS: THE PHANTOM MENACE (John Williams)

By far the best of the prequel scores (even if I like all three).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2017 edited
    Thor wrote

Easily the best IMO.

NP: LIFEFORCE - Henry Mancini

Brilliant score. Michael Kamen's contributions are very good too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. Thor wrote

I think it is.

NP: The BFG (2016) - John Williams

Fantastic orchestrations, great craftsmanship. But nothing we haven't heard before elsewhere in the maestro's canon.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I don't like THE BFG. It's not bad, but I have a completely different standard for JW than for anyone else.

I'm soon entering the 2000s in my JW walkthrough, and I'm a bit hesitant about the post-2005 stuff. But maybe this re-evalution reveals something new?
    I am extremely serious.
  7. It feels too mickey-mousy at times for my taste. But I still didn't see the film so I have yet to affirm that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The film is mediocre.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2017 edited
    Flight of the Phoenix - Marco Beltrami

Let another dazzling gem buried in his back-catalogue. Some stunning, complex action/thriller cues with, occasionally, wild percussion and ethnic vocals thrown into the mix (and for once, the vocals work). An almost perfect 40 minute CD.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2017
    Tombstone - Bruce Broughton

Such bliss to revisit. A 5 star score any day of the week.
  8. Yes. Yes. Yes. smile
  9. David OC wrote
    Tombstone - Bruce Broughton

Such bliss to revisit. A 5 star score any day of the week.

This is 4 stars.

Lost in Space is 5.

IMHO. wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2017
    yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    Het Verlangen - Merlijn Snitker

Happy fun little score with not that many instruments from a Dutch composer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: A.I. - ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE (John Williams)

Probably my favourite score since the year 2000.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Close Encounters of the Third Kind - J.W.

The Arista album is the only one I currently need. Should an expansion come I'll gladly pick that up, but it should at least hold the same booklet. So this music makes this probably the most goosebump-generating experience I will ever have. And being the guy that holds on to the classics, I like to repeat that experience as much as possible. The movie's a feast of visual effects and awe and childlike wonder but much of that emotional journey that it takes me on comes from its score. Because it really does have everything I look for in (orchestral) film music. The Arista album does a damn fine job for giving me the core material at the start at its most dissonant and unsettling, but growing more operatic and intense and beautiful, until it comes to that glorious finale. The final 30 minutes as heard on this album is among my favorite ever written by any composer.

This one is 40 years old this year gents. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2017 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Close Encounters of the Third Kind - J.W.

The Arista album is the only one I currently need. Should an expansion come I'll gladly pick that up, but it should at least hold the same booklet.

I'm confused. The 1998 Arista version IS the expansion. I had that once, but traded it away. The original Varese is all I ever need.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I was never a fan of the film but the score is one of JW's very best, spellbinding magnificence, just awesome.

I like having the original release and the 1998 expansion.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  11. I meant another expansion, the fully complete one, remastered and everything. Sorry for confusing you. tongue

And the Varese is that the one that got an SACD edition in 2015?

Is it the same track list?

I've heard that one but it's too damn short. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2017 edited
    Timmer wrote
    I was never a fan of the film but the score is one of JW's very best, spellbinding magnificence, just awesome.

I like having the original release and the 1998 expansion.

Spellbinding, that is the word I was looking for. I know a word or two in english but clearly not enough. smile

On a good day I think it's the best thing that Williams has ever written.
  12. The original album was originally released by Alhambra in Germany and by Arista elsewhere. The 1998 expansion is also by Arista.

Volker
  13. One other thing I always notice with the 77 minute presentation that I love so much. It absolutely never drags, not for one second. I'm always surprised how quick I come to its end. And I always feel sad when the final track fades out. Completely satisfied of course, but a little sad there's isn't more. That's why I would welcome a complete release with open arms.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    I meant another expansion, the fully complete one, remastered and everything. Sorry for confusing you. tongue

And the Varese is that the one that got an SACD edition in 2015?

Yes, same program. It plays out like a gorgeous symphony -- from the wildly dissonant to the gorgeously impressionistic. Quality over quantity any day of the week!
    I am extremely serious.