• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2017
    DreamTheater wrote
    One other thing I always notice with the 77 minute presentation that I love so much. It absolutely never drags, not for one second. I'm always surprised how quick I come to its end. And I always feel sad when the final track fades out. Completely satisfied of course, but a little sad there's isn't more. That's why I would welcome a complete release with open arms.

Second time for today, but... yeah
  1. I am listening to the Close Encounters concert suite performed by the Boston Pops. Outstanding!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2017
    NP : THUNDERBIRDS VOL 1 - Barry Gray

The Thunderbirds theme is the best march ever IMO.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Timmer wrote
    NP : THUNDERBIRDS VOL 1 - Barry Gray

The Thunderbirds theme is the best march ever IMO.

Your choice of listening set me off on a YouTube chase for a great cover of the Thunderbirds theme but I got sidetracked when I saw a video to a "live cover version" of Brad Fiedel's Terminator theme. I am not sure if it is as live as the poster says - I have no reason to doubt him - but it's a cracking version IMO.

https://youtu.be/eIRQQjVYQ78
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    One other thing I always notice with the 77 minute presentation that I love so much. It absolutely never drags, not for one second. I'm always surprised how quick I come to its end. And I always feel sad when the final track fades out. Completely satisfied of course, but a little sad there's isn't more. That's why I would welcome a complete release with open arms.

Second time for today, but... yeah

A miraculous event has transpired: I've never seen you agree with me twice in one day... tongue
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Your choice of listening set me off on a YouTube chase for a great cover of the Thunderbirds theme but I got sidetracked when I saw a video to a "live cover version" of Brad Fiedel's Terminator theme. I am not sure if it is as live as the poster says - I have no reason to doubt him - but it's a cracking version IMO.

Wow, almost indistinguishable from the real thing. Great stuff.

And with a theme like that Fiedel has definitely deserved legendary status. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. The Spielberg & Williams Collaboration Part III

I've received the full set and decided to start with the new disc. Passionate performances all around. Dry Your Tears Afrika is amazing, such fire in the playing and singing. The first version of With Malice Toward None is downright stunning. Maybe the only cues that don't leave a lasting impression (not because of the playing mind you) are the ones for Catch Me If You Can, a score I never connected to and I see why I never got the album. Maybe on repeated listens this will change. Incredibly wonderful to hear the full Marion's theme, without it being book-ended by Indy's march. Hymn to the Fallen is severely shortened which lessens the emotional impact, but otherwise brilliantly performed. Much more heartfelt is the rendition of War Horse. I'm not yet at the end, but I can already tell this is one brilliant compilation and it satisfies like only the maestro's best works can do. I'll delve into the other two volumes soon. I don't even miss the absence of the Boston Pops.

I also like the appearance of the booklet, the liner notes look interesting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2017 edited
    Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway - Ed Lima & Duncan Watt

Following on from that glorious listen I had to give this another spin. This is videogame music but not in the way you'd expect, because it has all the qualities that you would expect from a fully symphonic film score. The only downside is that the score album is too short (23 minutes). But I kid you not that these 23 minutes of music have more heart, powerful crescendo's and soaring theme statements than you will find in 95 % of current film music.

Just listen to the suite I put together 7 years ago. smile

The most powerful thematic outburst is the final two minutes of the suite (basically a Williams-inspired take on Hymn to the Fallen and full-on emotional goosebump material).

This score (shortness aside) gets the full 5 stars from me. love
  6. FalkirkBairn wrote

Very good!
    I once heard the theme performed by our local symphony orchestra. I didn't like that too much because the percussions droned out everything else.

Volker
  7. The Living Daylights - John Barry

Curiously the Rykodisc release has the correct track order printed in the liner notes, which I don't remember being on any other release, like ever. Why not put the tracks in the correct order in the first place, because old-school slightly nerdy guy that I am, I still put in the disc, and have to program the cues which takes me about 2 whole minutes, because the track-list is all over the place. dizzy biggrin

Anyway, this is another reminder how good we had it back then. Classic Barry score! Brilliant from start to end (which in my case starts with 'Exercise at Gibraltar', followed by the A-ha song, the only way it should be).
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2017 edited
    The Final Member - Rob Simonsen

Excellent documentary score which reveals another side of the composer. Featuring a small ensemble it begins dynamically with an Elfman-doing-Glass type feel like the Errol Morris films but becomes more wistful as it progresses. Quite short but wouldn't touch a cue.
  8. DreamTheater wrote
    The Living Daylights - John Barry

Curiously the Rykodisc release has the correct track order printed in the liner notes, which I don't remember being on any other release, like ever. Why not put the tracks in the correct order in the first place, because old-school slightly nerdy guy that I am, I still put in the disc, and have to program the cues which takes me about 2 whole minutes, because the track-list is all over the place. dizzy biggrin

Anyway, this is another reminder how good we had it back then. Classic Barry score! Brilliant from start to end (which in my case starts with 'Exercise at Gibraltar', followed by the A-ha song, the only way it should be).

Well, there is no such thing as a "correct" running order or isn't there? Either you choose the album order - which has Barry's blessing to its credit anyway - and put everything else on the disc as bonus cues. Or else you choose the chronological order and provide the album running order in the liner notes.
    And if you're a CD man, well, burn it to your liking!

smile Volker
  9. Hell no, what's 2 minutes of pushing buttons on a remote compared to the 65 minutes of excellence that follows it. beer

And burning my CD's? What kind of a barbaric suggestion is that ???? shocked crazy

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2017
    David OC wrote
    The Final Member - Rob Simonsen

Excellent documentary score which reveals another side of the composer. Featuring a small ensemble it begins dynamically with an Elfman-doing-Glass type feel like the Errol Morris films but becomes more wistful as it progresses. Quite short but wouldn't touch a cue.

Big fan of Simonsen. This sounds intriguing.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2017
    It's a fantastic little score. Hadn't heard of it either but it was a digital Movie Score Media release - typical of their quality.

Also listened to Simonsen's Age of Adaline earlier.

It's nice enough; certainly very easy to listen to, with a gentle ethereal beauty to it throughout. But it does become kind of dull as the second half feels much like the first half.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Now onto Romeo and Juliet - Abel Korzeniowski

Now this is utterly ravishing. So many beautiful themes in his now very distinctive style. Some stunning cues here like 'The Cheek of Night' and 'Death is My Heir'. This might come close to topping W.E. as my favourite score of his after a few more listens.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    You're on a roll, David. I agree with everything you said, both about AGE OF ADALINE and ROMEO & JULIET.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    Logan - Marc Beltrami

I just have no idea what to think of this..
  10. Josh B wrote
    christopher wrote
    Bregt wrote
    BEST OF 2011 | playlist by christopher (maintitles member)

SPotify is great, and I discovered a lot of music via christopher's playlists actually. So many beautiful pieces of music I had never heard. Keep creating and sharing those playlists Christopher! punk

punk That's great! That's one that I've been working on a lot lately and will continue to fine tune over the next few months. I'm very happy to hear that someone appreciates that smile

Can I have a link? Always looking for good Spotify playlists.

Sorry, it's been a while since I've posted. Try this link: https://open.spotify.com/user/124967473 … e840Y9t1to
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Caliburn wrote
    Logan - Marc Beltrami

Saw the (somewhat overrated) movie too at the cinema and heard the score both in and out of the movie. Pass.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    Demetris wrote

Saw the (somewhat overrated) movie too at the cinema and heard the score both in and out of the movie. Pass.

I am going tonight. We will see :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Let us know smile

n.p. BEAR MCCREARY - Battlestar galactica: the plan / razor

My favorite of the whole saga. So enjoyable and kick ass!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    David OC wrote
    Now onto Romeo and Juliet - Abel Korzeniowski

Now this is utterly ravishing. So many beautiful themes in his now very distinctive style. Some stunning cues here like 'The Cheek of Night' and 'Death is My Heir'. This might come close to topping W.E. as my favourite score of his after a few more listens.

Absolutely love it. That and W.E. are his best moments to date, imo.
  11. Demetris wrote
    Let us know smile

Yes the theme is kick-ass, VERY rock on ! punk

But the rest of the score album puts me to sleep... sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Let us know smile

Yes the theme is kick-ass, VERY rock on ! punk

But the rest of the score album puts me to sleep... sleep

Like it, it has constant low tension. The theme is kick ass!

then I played: BEAR MCCREARY - black sails

It's been so long and yes, definitely not my kind of music. Although very well constructed if you like this kind of pirate stuff, but I hate bagpipes and such stuff so off to the trash bin it went wink

but, BEAR MCCREARY - dark void

it's been so long since I last played this too and boy I forgot how good it is! That main theme, gorgeous and infectious leitmotif it is indeed!
  12. The Mission - Ennio Morricone

I'm not the biggest fan of Ennio, and I have very few scores by the man but I reckon I had to at least have this one as it is so highly regarded. It's very good, but also very Ennio, in a way that the man has a certain style that doesn't always speak to me, but when he unleashes the lovely Gabriel's Oboe or those sweet angelic voices, all is well in the universe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Caliburn wrote
    Logan - Marc Beltrami

I'm listening to it now. I really like parts of it - the more ethereal, dreamy parts. Other sections I could certainly live without. I like it more than most seem to.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2017
    A Cure For Wellness - Benjamin Wallfisch

Not a great score by any means but it's growing on me. The waltz/lullaby main theme is a nice contrast with some of the darker material. 'Fueurwalzer' is definitely a highlight.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Crawl/Ward 13 - Christopher Gordon

Gordon's string ensemble pours on the menace for Crawl but in stop-and-start bursts. The 2 'Romantic Evening' cues are a bit of a chore but 'The End' is worth the wait.

The 12 minute Ward 13 is great fun especially in the second half and despite a strong whiff of Elfman about it.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    It's Only the End of the World - Gabriel Yared

Nothing particularly distinguished for this most recent Xavier Dolan film. This is very familiar ground for Yared, with slowly churning melodic fragments being pushed ahead of one another, occasionally resolving into something interesting or soaring to hit a cathartic high. Two late cues, 'Louis et Antoine' and 'Avant l'orage' are the pick of them. Mildly diverting but nowhere near the standard of his brilliant Tom on the Farm for Dolan.