• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2017 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Batman & Robin - Elliot Goldenthal

We'll always have this *, because it doesn't look likely we'll have something else in the near future.

* The Goldenthal assembled album. And it's fooking awesome ! cool

Very sad to see Goldenthal completely on the side anymore. Of course we have a great in quality even few in quantity - legacy from him to always accompany us as you say. But he had such great a premise for the future. What's he up to anyway? only concert work? or does he do another profession as well? like silvestri's line of wines or anything smile

n.p. bear mccreary - dark void

love him on his percussive mode, and boy that leitmotif. So lush and grand.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2017
    what's bear up to these days btw?
  1. DreamTheater wrote
    John Chambers wrote
    Jurassic Park Williams

It just doesn't get better than this.

It does actually... A number of Williams scores (5 at least) top this in my book. smile

I'd say cue-for-cue, the MCA re-recording of "Jaws" is better.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Also went over (i think one last time) some of least favorite Bear scores:

Everly. Some good parts, but also a lot of disjoint underscore that leads nowhere.
    Knights of badassdom: sounds like a cheap b-class celtic metal band album. without the vocals wink
    europa report: snooze variations on one single (otherwise good) theme

then switched to the lush, and kick-ass back on form Bear Mode of: marvel's agents of s.h.i.e.l.d with the big kick-ass theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    Very sad to see Goldenthal completely on the side anymore. Of course we have a great in quality even few in quantity - legacy from him to always accompany us as you say. But he had such great a premise for the future. What's he up to anyway? only concert work? or does he do another profession as well? like silvestri's line of wines or anything smile

Why do you sound like Jordi!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    What's he up to anyway? only concert work?

Yes, with an exception or two. The latest release, however, is a score of sorts -- the filmed stageplay MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM by Julie Taymour. It's been out for a couple of weeks now.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Demetris wrote

Yes, with an exception or two. The latest release, however, is a score of sorts -- the filmed stageplay MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM by Julie Taymour. It's been out for a couple of weeks now.

how is it like? does it also have songs amidst score like that beatles thingy he did some years back?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Demetris wrote

Why do you sound like Jordi!?

I think it's the smileys. And positivity ? hehe. Or thinking out loud? who knows wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote
    Demetris wrote

how is it like? does it also have songs amidst score like that beatles thingy he did some years back?

No songs, but don't expect big symphonic forces. This is stageplay music with chamber ensemble and unusual orchestrations. You can sample the tracks on iTunes.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote
    Demetris wrote

No songs, but don't expect big symphonic forces. This is stageplay music with chamber ensemble and unusual orchestrations. You can sample the tracks on iTunes.

oh thanks for the heads up, i will. I like dissonant stuff, even small-scale chamber musical. We'll go over and sample thanks
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    oh my i went and sampled it...sounds like a detuned Goran Bregovic on weed. Not for me i think.
  2. justin boggan wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    John Chambers wrote
    Jurassic Park Williams

It just doesn't get better than this.

It does actually... A number of Williams scores (5 at least) top this in my book. smile

I'd say cue-for-cue, the MCA re-recording of "Jaws" is better.

This may surprise some, but of all the highly acclaimed thematic blockbuster scores that Williams has written, Jaws is on my least favorite and I hardly ever listen to it. It does have a couple of great cues and a theme that is as simple as it is brilliant, but Jaws is mostly suspense music of the background kind and it has never been a score I count among the greats. The closest I get to actually enjoying it is the McNeely recording.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    n.p. BRIAN TYLER - Power rangers

When amidst 1 really good appearance of the main theme (end titles), and some sparse tron-like electronics here and there which do get quite tiresome with the time, the only couple of actually exciting moments in all of this, are the old go go power rangers theme appearances in all its glory, orchestrally redone for this one. The rest is hugely autopilotish and lukewarm.
  3. Demetris wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Power Rangers - Brian Tyler

Very much a by-the-numbers score this one; it all sounds fine but there's just no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians.

no passion and no excitement is key phrase for his post fast-five era scores, imo

Since then he's put out Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and the Now You See Me scores which certainly do not match that description.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    TMNT is fun indeed. The now you see me, esp. the 2nd one, are irritating and tiring after the first 2-3 cues in a row, imo.
  4. I seem to remember that Elliot Goldenthal was teaching at UCLA? Yet Wikipedia does not state anything to that extend. So I might confuse him with someone else.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BENJAMIN WALLFISCH - Bhopal: a prayer for rain

Lots of dark moody underscore, but these cues are melodic, thematic and standout: 'elegy for bhopal', 'bhopal', 'epilogue' and 'a prayer for rain'. Bit on the melancholic side of things though. Also Benjamin here often comes out as Thomas Newman on budget wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BENJAMIN WALLFISCH - bitter harvest

Standard war era score, orchestral lush and beautiful. Dramatic string writing, wordless vocals. ALthough familiar territory, it has dramatic Eastern-Russian sound and air to it, and you can feel the emotional commitment of the composer behind it. It's got drive, and during the several wonderfully emotional cues like "Natalka" or 'elegy for ukraine', 'in memoriam' and the same-titled 'bitter harvest', passion too. Love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    n.p. BRIAN TYLER - Power rangers
    the only couple of actually exciting moments in all of this, are the old go go power rangers theme appearances in all its glory.

You mean the Power Rangers advert jingle.

Glory indeed... dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    This thing here whatever it is called smile https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJFvkUCXPLQ Brian Tyler makes some nice couple of orchestral renditions to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians.

Very, VERY well put.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. House of Cards - James Horner

This turns out to be quite a gem. Obscure in every way, as the 1992 film is unheard of, with an unknown director and I've never seen the score mentioned here by anyone else (I did so once before). I'm glad I bought a copy before it sold out. It's mostly restrained Horner, but the lullaby-like theme is sweet and gorgeous. At times in the style of The Spitfire Grill.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. Demetris wrote
    BENJAMIN WALLFISCH - Bhopal: a prayer for rain

Lots of dark moody underscore, but these cues are melodic, thematic and standout: 'elegy for bhopal', 'bhopal', 'epilogue' and 'a prayer for rain'. Bit on the melancholic side of things though. Also Benjamin here often comes out as Thomas Newman on budget wink

Those are good cues. There's a track from that score (I think it's called "Rickshaw"?) that has some of the craziest vocal work I've ever heard. It's like the Indian equivalent of scat-singing or something. I didn't know that it was possible for the human voice to "sing" that fast.

I just finished playing LOST: THE FINAL SEASON - Michael Giacchino

As a fan of the show (admittedly less of a fan as it went along), I'm fond of the themes, especially the prettier ones. These LOST albums are a real slog, though. There's so much music on them, and most of it is suspense music. Many of even the nicest tracks end with some loud stinger moment that was so typical of the show, but less enjoyable to listen to on it's own. Overall, I'd have to say that I didn't enjoy listening to the score on album, but I think you could make a really strong "Best of" playlist from the highlights of the various seasons of music. Has someone already done that?
  7. NP: Ladyhawk (1985) - Andrew Powell

Alan Parsons meets Mike Batt, so to speak. These pop-classic-crossovers were the shit in the decade of glory. It's very well done here.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Ladyhawk (1985) - Andrew Powell

Alan Parsons meets Mike Batt, so to speak. These pop-classic-crossovers were the shit in the decade of glory. It's very well done here.

Volker

One of my alltime favourite soundtracks, and one I've been defending -- and will continue to defend -- for MANY years (don't forget to mention the straight-up neo-classical passages in the style or Horner or Williams or whatever):

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/p … ;archive=1
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: PINOUT (Douglas Holmquist)

Totally addictive synthpop score. I must have listened to this at least 20-30 times since Alan alerted me to it a few months back.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Ladyhawk (1985) - Andrew Powell

Volker

I don't like all of it but there's some really fine scoring, it certainly doesn't deserve the film score fans hate it receives.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. I just finished Harry Gregson-Williams's THE ZOOKEEPERS WIFE. It's pretty low-key. There's not much to it, really. The last track offers some nice music that's also pretty insubstantial. Most of it was just there. Creating an atmosphere that tells you that the characters in the film are going through really sad/difficult experience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    Thor wrote
    NP: PINOUT (Douglas Holmquist)

Totally addictive synthpop score. I must have listened to this at least 20-30 times since Alan alerted me to it a few months back.

Glad you till like it!

Have you heard Daniel Deluxe's score for the game DESYNC?

https://youtu.be/tOyxoTgLBMY

One of my favourite game scores of the year so far.

And Furi from last year(?) is quite enjoyable too.

https://furi.bandcamp.com/album/furi-or … soundtrack
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I haven't, but I'll be sure to check those out!
    I am extremely serious.