• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. A LIFE - Naoki Sato

This is a new score from him that you can stream here: http://www.xiami.com/album/yhODhRca027? … 0.0.LrBSSG

It's got quite a bit of electric guitar for a symphonic score, which isn't usually to my liking, but even when the electric guitar is used, the orchestra isn't overpowered by it, and is always doing something noteworthy. The nicest tracks, in my opinion, are the 8th and the last, both of which are very lovely.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2017
    Salinger - Lorne Balfe

Long and diverse, it rarely sounds like a score that'd fit a documentary about J.D. But it's a solid listen with plenty of modern beats mixing with suspense, occasional soaring triumphalism and the odd moment of trumpet-led Americana amongst other styles.
  2. NP: Superman IV The Quest for Peace (1987) - John Williams; Alexander Courage

Superb work by both composers.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. yeah

When watching the movie its excellence doesn't come through. Only by listening on the FSM set it does.

Stargate (Deluxe Edition) - David Arnold

This is essentially Arnold channeling Miklos Rosza. Lots and lots of goosebump cues here. As amazing as the finest works of Rozsa.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. DreamTheater wrote

This is essentially Arnold channeling Miklos Rosza.

Interesting. I never thought of Rosza when listening to this. Rather of Maurice Jarre. But I see your point.

Lots and lots of goosebump cues here. As amazing as the finest works of Rozsa.

It is good, but not that good. smile

Volker
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2017
    The Lego Batman Movie - Lorne Balfe

Hardly something to stand the test of time but it's loud, frenetic - and ridiculously entertaining.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2017
    Winnie the Pooh - Henry Jackman

Had no idea this wonderful little gem existed. A colourful, rollicking orchestral score that harkens back to another era. Listening to this you'd almost swear it was from a golden age of animated scoring.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    TRON:Uprising - Joseph Trapanese

Trip back to memory lane to last year's concert in Poland.
  5. Captain Future wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

This is essentially Arnold channeling Miklos Rosza.

Interesting. I never thought of Rosza when listening to this. Rather of Maurice Jarre. But I see your point.

Lots and lots of goosebump cues here. As amazing as the finest works of Rozsa.

It is good, but not that good. smile

Volker

You're probably right. Rozsa is in a league of his own.

But I love Stargate for almost the same reasons and as a score it probably would've been dismissed today as too old-fashioned sounding.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2017 edited
    The Ghost and The Darkness - J.G.

Wonderful, the expanded edition is a revelation. punk

The vocals (synthesized or not) are awesome !
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote
    I love Stargate for almost the same reasons and as a score it probably would've been dismissed today as too old-fashioned sounding.

I dunno, I think you'd be surprised. This sort of timeless scoring will always rise above crappy Henry Jackman-type wallpaper scoring.
  6. Well I meant dismissed by the guys in charge, you know who I'm talking about, not by us obviously. cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Star Trek V - Jerry G

There may have been better Star Trek scores before this one, but there haven't been any since it. It's so bloody brilliant. That theme at the beginning for Kirk climbing the mountain would get onto career-best showreels for most film composers. Goldsmith may have pretended he didn't get Star Trek, but he clearly did. That theme - barely heard again until he uses it as a bookend once the Kirk/Spock/McCoy relationship is reinforced at the end - shows just how clearly he got it. The frequent warm versions of the main theme - barely heard on the original album but all over the place on the expansion - are so good. The religious/"God" theme is brilliant and I wish he had done a Williams-style concert arrangement of it.
  7. Jerry's score even improves the film itself, which is pretty uneven despite the wonderful trio that is Shatner / Nimoy / Kelley. It's a watchable film at the very least, and the music actually adds some heartfelt emotion to certain scenes. Love the score a lot (the expansion).
  8. ^ It's one of the weaker Star Trek feature films but it's no way as bad as it is often described.

NP: Presumed Innocent (1990) - John Williams

I didn't listen to this score in ages. It's lovely!

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2017
    Southall wrote
    Star Trek V - Jerry G

There may have been better Star Trek scores before this one, but there haven't been any since it. It's so bloody brilliant. That theme at the beginning for Kirk climbing the mountain would get onto career-best showreels for most film composers. Goldsmith may have pretended he didn't get Star Trek, but he clearly did. That theme - barely heard again until he uses it as a bookend once the Kirk/Spock/McCoy relationship is reinforced at the end - shows just how clearly he got it. The frequent warm versions of the main theme - barely heard on the original album but all over the place on the expansion - are so good. The religious/"God" theme is brilliant and I wish he had done a Williams-style concert arrangement of it.

I first saw this film while in Los Angeles and because of this film we went to Yosemite ( unbelievably I only knew of it as a character 'Yosemite Sam' , I didn't know it was a famous national park ) and I'll always be thankful for that.

The film is a very weak entry though still watchable, the score is JG's second best of his scores for the series and a very distant second best but considering the enormity of ST: TMP benchmark it's very good.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Kong: Skull Island - Henry Jackman

Has a few meandering moments but for the most part it's really well constructed and the highlights are just brilliant - amongst others, 'Kong the Destroyer', 'The Battle of Skull Island' and, especially, the stunning 'Man vs. Beast'.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    W - Paul Cantelon

Very solid, small-scale, piano-led drama score. The opening 'Bayou' is absolutely the best track. It's a shame Cantelon doesn't score more films.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    The Quick and the Dead - Alan Silvestri

Probably one of my favourite western themes of all time - a classic that even Morricone would be proud of. The theme in the back half of 'Kid vs. Herod' is almost as memorable. Some of the brief cues are full of Silvestri-isms but it's all great stuff. I wonder if an expansion would improve this or spoil a fine short album?
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    An American Affair - Dustin O'Halloran

A sprawling, melancholy piano (with occasional strings) 2009 score that features some pretty yet slightly bleak waltzes. There's an occasional Carter Burwell feel in a couple of cues but O'Halloran, even with only his third score, was clearly finding his own voice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    David OC wrote
    W - Paul Cantelon

Very solid, small-scale, piano-led drama score. The opening 'Bayou' is absolutely the best track. It's a shame Cantelon doesn't score more films.

Love his writing. Long time since we last heard anything from him.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    David OC wrote

Has a few meandering moments but for the most part it's really well constructed and the highlights are just brilliant - amongst others, 'Kong the Destroyer', 'The Battle of Skull Island' and, especially, the stunning 'Man vs. Beast'.

Anyone seen this movie? I think I want to go and watch it at the cinema. heard some very good reviews about it smile how's the score like? orchestral?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Caliburn wrote
    TRON:Uprising - Joseph Trapanese

Trip back to memory lane to last year's concert in Poland.

love it, fantastic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Anyone seen this movie? I think I want to go and watch it at the cinema. heard some very good reviews about it smile how's the score like? orchestral?

Yes, I saw the film in 4DX. The film is rather poor, and I have several issues with the 4DX presentation. This is made for a particular ADD crowd, I think, and not for people like me. If I want cinema to be a theme park attraction, I'll visit a proper theme park attraction instead. The score was 'meh' too -- and I'm generally a fan of Jackman.

So, no. This didn't do much for me.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : QUEST FOR FIRE - Phiippe Sarde

Fantastic score for stone age adventure. Superb!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. The 'Burbs - Jerry 'Let me insert a cute barking dog here' Goldsmith

Genius ! Absolute comedy genius ! cheesy

If it was possible to travel to The Great Beyond I would like to ask the composer of this big shiny gem two questions:

1. In what state of mind were you while composing The 'Burbs for your good friend Joe Dante?
    2. Can I get a copy of that state so I can store it for eternity on my hard drive?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: PINOCCHIO (Leigh Harline & Paul J. Smith)

A download of the Legacy version, which is WAAAAAY too long and poorly structured. But the music is great; one of the alltime best Disney soundtracks (and films).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Demetris wrote
    David OC wrote

It is mate - almost entirely orchestral but the electronics and guitars are used to brilliant effect when they are used.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    American Pastoral - Alexandre Desplat

Really dour stuff. Feels very familiar - drearily so - against Desplat's mounting body of work. Listenable but the two main themes are not exactly riveting.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2017
    Couldn't quite make it all the way through Fences - Marcelo Zarvos

It's dull; couldn't engage with it at all. Another plodding piano-led score but without any sort of decent theme to keep it interesting.