• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2017 edited
    Just finished Sausage Party - Christopher Lennertz/Alan Menken

High-energy orchestral romp that's a lot of fun especially with so many moments paying 'homage' to other composers and styles. Especially enjoyed the Omen love in 'Food Massacre'.

Now getting into:

It Follows - Disasterpeace

(Specifically the excellent, ear-shattering harshness of 'Doppel'!)Wonderfully off-kilter retro electronics for what was a brilliant little low-budget gem. Not always in the mood for this kind of sound but with the 'throwback' love becoming widespread in independent cinema it's hard to ignore and this is a good one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2017
    David OC wrote
    It Follows - Disasterpeace

(Specifically the excellent, ear-shattering harshness of 'Doppel'!)Wonderfully off-kilter retro electronics for what was a brilliant little low-budget gem. Not always in the mood for this kind of sound but with the 'throwback' love becoming widespread in independent cinema it's hard to ignore and this is a good one.

Superb film and score! Unlike you, I'm almost always in the mood for this kind of sound (although to be fair -- less the sharp horror dissonance and more the Carpenter-like riffs).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Anyone seen this movie? I think I want to go and watch it at the cinema. heard some very good reviews about it smile how's the score like? orchestral?

Yes, I saw the film in 4DX. The film is rather poor, and I have several issues with the 4DX presentation. This is made for a particular ADD crowd, I think, and not for people like me. If I want cinema to be a theme park attraction, I'll visit a proper theme park attraction instead. The score was 'meh' too -- and I'm generally a fan of Jackman.

So, no. This didn't do much for me.

Maybe it sucked because of the 4dx crap? hehe eager to watch it on regular good ol fashioned 2d.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    David OC wrote
    Demetris wrote
    David OC wrote
    Kong: Skull Island - Henry Jackman

Has a few meandering moments but for the most part it's really well constructed and the highlights are just brilliant - amongst others, 'Kong the Destroyer', 'The Battle of Skull Island' and, especially, the stunning 'Man vs. Beast'.

Anyone seen this movie? I think I want to go and watch it at the cinema. heard some very good reviews about it smile how's the score like? orchestral?

It is mate - almost entirely orchestral but the electronics and guitars are used to brilliant effect when they are used.

thanks! will check out!

David OC wrote
    American Pastoral - Alexandre Desplat

Really dour stuff. Feels very familiar - drearily so - against Desplat's mounting body of work. Listenable but the two main themes are not exactly riveting.

On autopilot but loved it, esp. the emotional thematic-led pieces.
  1. NP: Die Nibelungen (1924/2015) - Gottfried Huppertz

The magnificent recording of a magnificent score.

knight Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2017
    Red Army - Christophe Beck and Leo Birenberg

Absolutely sensational! How is this not well known?!!? Brilliant incorporation, in parts, of Russian influences. But overall this is a bold, richly thematic, often massive orchestral score for what is apparently a sporting documentary. Never seen it, but by god, this needs to be heard! The longest cue, 'The Russian Playing Style' is pure magnificence but there’s not a dull moment throughout.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    David OC wrote

Absolutely sensational! How is this not well known?!!? Brilliant incorporation, in parts, of Russian influences. But overall this is a bold, richly thematic, often massive orchestral score for what is apparently a sporting documentary. Never seen it, but by god, this needs to be heard! The longest cue, 'The Russian Playing Style' is pure magnificence but there’s not a dull moment throughout.

I was supposed to have seen this documentary at the TIFF festival this year (or was it last year?), but I missed it. Cool to hear that the music is good. I love Russian elements in film scores. I'll be sure to check it out.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: DESYNC (Daniel Deluxe)

Excellent synth score for a recent computer game, recommended to me by Alan. It didn't blow me away the way PINOUT did (it doesn't have the same diversity, and -- pr. lots of game music -- is a bit 'static' at times), but enough good elements here to keep me coming back for some time.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Thor wrote
    David OC wrote

I was supposed to have seen this documentary at the TIFF festival this year (or was it last year?), but I missed it. Cool to hear that the music is good. I love Russian elements in film scores. I'll be sure to check it out.

Hey Thor, yeah it's a 2015 release, probably 2016 in a lot of places. I'm a fan of Russian elements too. It's a stunner; so inventive and brilliantly orchestrated. This has instantly become one of my favourite scores of recent years - even though I'm now only on a second listen! I love every cue but 'The Russian Playing Style ' is pure gold. Listen to it on iTunes /apple music or however you can - it's a keeper! ☺
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: FURI (Carpenter Brut & various)

Another great game synth soundtrack recommended by Alan. This one is more varied, and while some of the breakbeat stuff doesn't do much for me (semi-dubstep that died out a few years ago), I love the more retro things.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    https://youtu.be/Zb3u7PaXwhs

'The Russian Playing Style'

Christophe Beck and Leo Birenberg - Red Army

Will I ever play another piece of music again?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    David OC wrote
    https://youtu.be/Zb3u7PaXwhs

'The Russian Playing Style'

Christophe Beck and Leo Birenberg - Red Army

Will I ever play another piece of music again?

says 'not available'.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2017 edited
    Well, I took a listen to the soundtrack, and I'm afraid it didn't do much for me, David (although there are a few decent tracks in it). The track you mention kinda comes off as someone doing Zimmer Lite with cheaper equipment. I had expected something a la Poledouris' RED OCTOBER, so maybe that accounts for some of the disappointment. Sorry. But don't let my reservations dampen your enthusiasm! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2017 edited
    NP: I.Q. (Jerry Goldsmith)

This is rubbish. And more than a bit annoying. "Twinkle, twinkle"...screw you! I got the CD in a gift basket at Peter's film music event in LA in 2012, so I had no choice. But now I've given it away, and could just as well delete the iTunes version. But obviously keep the SECONDS part of the album, which is a great score (and has nothing whatsoever to do with I.Q.).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yeah, we... we Goldsmith fans don't talk about that score. Best kept under the rug. We divert attention to Star Trek The Motion Picture immediately.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MOON (Clint Mansell)

Great score (and film). Both have seemed to glide off the radar in recent years, which is a shame.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2017
    Leviathan Jerry G

This is so entertaining. End title is a blast.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    NP: MOON (Clint Mansell)

Great score (and film). Both have seemed to glide off the radar in recent years, which is a shame.

loved both of them
  2. Thor wrote

This is rubbish. And more than a bit annoying. "Twinkle, twinkle"...screw you! I got the CD in a gift basket at Peter's film music event in LA in 2012, so I had no choice. But now I've given it away, and could just as well delete the iTunes version. But obviously keep the SECONDS part of the album, which is a great score (and has nothing whatsoever to do with I.Q.).

Between this and Mr. Baseball I think it's safe to say that Goldsmith guy was a hack.

On a serious note: no lie, I know someone who has IQ in their top 5 Goldsmith scores. freezing
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    Colossal - Bear McCreary

Respectable. Probably not up there with 10 Cloverfield Lane (which had stronger thematic material) but the music is intelligent, as expected with this composer. The finale is especially strong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2017 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thor wrote

Between this and Mr. Baseball I think it's safe to say that Goldsmith guy was a hack.

On a serious note: no lie, I know someone who has IQ in their top 5 Goldsmith scores. freezing

The hardest time I've ever had getting through a Goldsmith score and having to resist the urge to turn it off was Alien Nation. Don't know how that one compares to I.Q. or Mr. Baseball, but it was very off-putting. Almost laughably bad and full of super-cheesy synths. Like something that he composed in his teens. And then decided to record as is when he was much older.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. Black Gold - Mr. Horner

This is a good one because it has an emotional core. But one could already hear James' tiredness of writing for film seeping through. It has on okay theme and only one action cue (not among his best, but enjoyable enough). Still there's a lot of not much going on as well. A Kingdom of Oil is a fitting finale though.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. The Tone Poems of Kevin Kaska

I didn't know whether to put this here or in the other topic, since it's not film score related, but the name Kevin Kaska definitely is film related. This is a collection of concert pieces performed by the Royal Scottish National Orchestra under Allan Wilson. I bought this on the recommendation of one Mr. Woods, but I have to say I have a hard time finding much to like here. It's exquisitely performed and orchestrated, however its the compositions themselves that are more like classical works and so they're either very complex, or very restrained. And I just prefer a bit more oomph and a bit more melody and memorable in my music. There are two long pieces however that are worth it. The first track is 'Battle for Atlantis' and is an all-out battle cue in the grandest traditions for full orchestra and choir, and very Williams sounding too. It's awesome. Later on there's 'Mount Vesuvius' which isn't as awesome but has a big sound nonetheless and some amazing choral work. Apart from these 2 cues (which amount to nearly half of the album) the other ones leave me rather cold.
  5. Alien Goldsmith

So inventive and incredibly effective, this score envelops me and I get lost in it every time I play it. At times mysterious, hauntingly romantic and at other times incredibly ferocious it's just an incredible piece of work from beginning to end.
  6. It always confundles me that people expect film music composers to compose film music like music when composing outside film music. Contemporary orchestral music exists in a completely different frame of reference than music for (Hollywood) films. There are very few composers who did not make that distinction.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2017
    John Chambers wrote
    Alien Goldsmith

So inventive and incredibly effective, this score envelops me and I get lost in it every time I play it. At times mysterious, hauntingly romantic and at other times incredibly ferocious it's just an incredible piece of work from beginning to end.

My thoughts exactly!
    One of my favorite scores!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2017 edited
    ANGELS IN AMERICA - Thomas Newman

Always imitated, never beaten. I only say that because, although I enjoy a handful of his other scores slightly more as a whole, this particular work stands out as it really does encompass everything that Newman is excellent at. All of his well-established sub-styles are present here; the slow pensive piano solos, the gorgeous soaring melodic passages, the quirky rhythms, the dark terrifying horror textures... and everything else in between. All in all, gorgeous stuff.

Love it. cool
  7. John Chambers wrote
    Alien Goldsmith

I agree. I wasn't a fan of this sound of Goldsmith when I was younger, but man ever since I bought the Intrada release I was dumbstruck by the intelligence and complexity in the writing. It's sheer terror performed by an orchestra. I still rate Poltergeist as his best horror-score because it's so much more melodic but this is not far behind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2017 edited
    1st Soncinemad Film Music Festival of Madrid Symphonic Concert (2006) - Trevor Jones

So many good pieces from a variety of films, and lovingly performed as well. Great concert !

Cliffhanger, Merlin, Roseanna's Grave, Aegis, Last Place on Earth, The Last of the Mohicans, The Mighty, Fields of Freedom, Dark Crystal, Dominic & Eugene, Last Place on Earth

Jones understood the power of a great theme. Where is this man now? sad

Edit: The Mighty has one of the most emotional cues ever written by any composer (My Noble Knight on the score album, Chapter Six - The Empty Book / Death of a Knight on this one). Gorgeous doesn't even describe it. shocked
  8. Dark City - Trevor Jones

Some more Jones because it was missing from the concert (at least one cue would have been nice). This is excellent and it's my most returned to score from Jones. I very much appreciate its dark and haunting sound. But best of all: it has an AMAZING final cue which begins with brutal action and ends with emotion up the wazoo. Definitely in my top 10 list of all-time great finales. punk