• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2017
    Been sifting through an assortment of sounds today:

Amen - Armand Amar

Excellent, very classy score that evokes a Schindler's List-like tone with a couple of violin passages. This is actually the first score of Amar's that I've heard outside of a film.

Foxcatcher - Rob Simonsen

His 15 minutes of quality have a cold and calculating feel to them are but beautifully suited to the images.

Luke Cage - Adrian Younge and Ali Shaheed Muhammad

I like this one a lot. Has a really unique sound and vibe to it. Highly entertaining, but not entirely sure if I'm going to last the 80 odd minutes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    Great movie and a great score.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    The Leftovers - Max Richter

This is sensational. A short CD but what quality. The 'Main Title Theme', 'De Profundis' and the 2 'Dona Nobis Pacem' cues are majestic, haunting and unforgettable. The 'Departure' cues, with those sparse piano notes, are hard to shake out of your head too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    David OC wrote

This is sensational. A short CD but what quality. The 'Main Title Theme', 'De Profundis' and the 2 'Dona Nobis Pacem' cues are majestic, haunting and unforgettable. The 'Departure' cues, with those sparse piano notes, are hard to shake out of your head too.

One of the best scores last year (or is it two years ago now?), whether TV or film.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Umizaru 3: The Last Message - Naoki Sato

I've not heard too much of this man's output, but since the stunning score for Space Battleship Yamato I have an interest in his music. This third entry in the japanese action-thriller franchise has a couple of big sweeping emotional cues clearly in the style of Yamato, but it isn't as consistently wonderful as an album. The fully developed theme is a keeper and much better than most themes that currently come out of Hollywood.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Thor wrote
    David OC wrote

One of the best scores last year (or is it two years ago now?), whether TV or film.

I really like that album. It has some amazing highlights. For some reason I didn't enjoy the second season's score nearly as much.
  3. DreamTheater wrote
    Umizaru 3: The Last Message - Naoki Sato

I've not heard too much of this man's output, but since the stunning score for Space Battleship Yamato I have an interest in his music. This third entry in the japanese action-thriller franchise has a couple of big sweeping emotional cues clearly in the style of Yamato, but it isn't as consistently wonderful as an album. The fully developed theme is a keeper and much better than most themes that currently come out of Hollywood.

I really like him. When did he write this one?

NP: SMURFS: THE LOST VILLAGE - Christopher Lennertz

This is not bad at all. Lennertz has written a score that is probably much better than what the film deserved. Fans of big action/adventure music should check this out. The "End Credits Suite" is a great place to start if you're curious. The "Smurf Eating Flowers" track is hilariously creepy (and unlike anything else in the album). If someone came at me in an alleyway playing that music I would run away. Quickly.
  4. The Affair of the Necklace - David Newman. In truth, I don't have a lot of David Newman scores, but I guess he doesn't do too many either. He's mainly been off my radar, but this one is certainly a treasure among his scores. Do you have a favorite David Newman score?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    The Affair of the Necklace - David Newman. In truth, I don't have a lot of David Newman scores, but I guess he doesn't do too many either. He's mainly been off my radar, but this one is certainly a treasure among his scores. Do you have a favorite David Newman score?

Yes. THE PHANTOM.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    The Affair of the Necklace - David Newman. In truth, I don't have a lot of David Newman scores, but I guess he doesn't do too many either. He's mainly been off my radar, but this one is certainly a treasure among his scores. Do you have a favorite David Newman score?

Definitely The Phantom, but I also love Galaxy Quest, his original Ice Age score and a couple of his Danny De Vito scores, Throw Momma From the Train and Matilda. My personal favourite though is probably Meet the Applegates.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Logan - Marco Beltrami

Has a 'dirty', rawer sound to it than usual, especially the action music. A handful of dull cues aside, there are many standout moments. I love the 'Main Titles' piece, the fight scenes and the last 3 cues which are all gems. Then there's the brilliant 'El Limo-nator', an action cue that only Beltrami could have written.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Martha Marcy May Marlene - Danny Bensi and Saunder Jurriaans

One of the earliest works from this exceptional duo who have become highly sought after in American indie circles for their instinctive and organic compositional techniques.

Though their masterpiece, to date, is the extraordinary score they wrote for Denis Villeneuve's Enemy, this is also exceptional in every way, capturing the unsettling undertone of Sean Durkin's brilliant film with a series of unnerving cues that probe into the main character's torment.

MMMM may be only 30 minutes long but its hard to pick a favourite cue - 'Collage' and 'Break-in/The Watcher' are superb. But perhaps best of all is 'Screaming on the Inside/Swarm' which sends a chill up my spine.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2017
    The Founder - Carter Burwell

Every note is distinctly Burwell's, including the little phrases that are virtually in everything he writes, but it's still a terrific score with relatively short cues and diversity the key. The first half is particularly strong and at around 45 minutes of score it's about perfect.
  5. christopher wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Umizaru 3: The Last Message - Naoki Sato

I really like him. When did he write this one?

2010 I think. But it's not for sale on iTunes. However its sequel score Umizaru: Brave Hearts is on iTunes (which is not as good as The Last Message)
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Cezanne et moi - Eric Neveux

Gorgeous, flowing melodic score from Neveux and featuring an orchestral palette that's broader than what he seems to use in most scores.
  6. David OC wrote
    Cezanne et moi - Eric Neveux

Gorgeous, flowing melodic score from Neveux and featuring an orchestral palette that's broader than what he seems to use in most scores.

I really like that one - one of my top 10 from last year.

I've been playing some new music:

GOING IN STYLE - Rob Simonsen

There are only a handful of score tracks on the commercial release. What's there is fine. It's fairly lightweight. My favorite track was the last.

GIFTED - Rob Simonsen

It's what you'd expect from a Simonsen score for an independent film. The music is pleasant, but never calls much attention to itself. A couple tracks that rose above the rest for me were "When You Were Born" and "Gifted."

AFTERMATH - Mark Todd

I've never heard of Todd before his assignment to this new Schwarzenegger film. The first track was promising I thought - not great, but showed signs that the album might be to my liking. Unfortunately everything after that was very dull and dreary. I'm sure it works in the film, which certainly looks dreary, but it was just no good on its own.

THEIR FINEST - Rachel Portman

After just one listen I think this is probably my favorite Portman score in years. It didn't have a terribly memorable theme for me, but it was very pleasant and seemed a little bigger in scope than most of her recent stuff. My favorite tracks were "I'd Miss You," "Writing Uncle Frank," "Kiss," "Nancy Starling Part 2," and "Make It A Happy One."

SPEECH AND DEBATE - Deborah Lurie

Another lightweight score. It was fine. Most of the tracks were very short (many under a minute). The highlight for me was the track "Gary's House."
  7. Filmscoregirl wrote

I would also recommend THE PHANTOM. My next favorite of his is probably his recent TARZAN score. That was really very good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Capricorn One Jerry G

The album re-recording, of course. An absolute belter, just brilliant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2017 edited
    christopher wrote
    GOING IN STYLE - Rob Simonsen

There are only a handful of score tracks on the commercial release. What's there is fine. It's fairly lightweight. My favorite track was the last.

GIFTED - Rob Simonsen

It's what you'd expect from a Simonsen score for an independent film. The music is pleasant, but never calls much attention to itself. A couple tracks that rose above the rest for me were "When You Were Born" and "Gifted."

Not that fond of GOING IN STYLE, but I think GIFTED is quite good. Simonsen is one of my favourites of his generation, and I've slowly amassed a collection of his work. His masterpiece still remains NERVE, IMO (wish he'd do more synth stuff like that), but he seems more active than ever, so I'm expecting loads of great things in the future.

THEIR FINEST - Rachel Portman

After just one listen I think this is probably my favorite Portman score in years. It didn't have a terribly memorable theme for me, but it was very pleasant and seemed a little bigger in scope than most of her recent stuff. My favorite tracks were "I'd Miss You," "Writing Uncle Frank," "Kiss," "Nancy Starling Part 2," and "Make It A Happy One."

It's decent, IMO, and not quite as frustratingly mono-thematic as much of her work.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. That's a fair assessment

NP - WORLD OF WARCRAFT: CATACLYSM - Russell Brower & Co.

I've heard this one recommended, so I thought I'd try it out. I should probably just stop listening to these, though. I've tried a few of the WoW scores now and I've never enjoyed any of them. This one is like the others. They've all got plenty of big music, but that's not enough. I'm 13 tracks into this one and if there's a recurring theme in here anywhere I sure haven't noticed it. If I really wanted to get familiar with it and listen to it a bunch of times and analyze every note I'm sure I could find a lot to appreciate, but I don't want to go through all that work for a score that just isn't that fun to listen to.
  9. If I am not mistaken Cataclysm has one long suite which holds all the major themes and then a bunch of ambient like cues that are not very interesting melodically. You should try out Wow: Mists of Pandaria and Wow: Warlords of Draenor. Much more entertaining but they have that big orchestral sound that I adore but I suspect you are not too much a fan of. Besides Warlords of Draenor sadly has many great cues missing on the official release.
  10. Vibes - James Horner

This must rank as one of James' most experimental works, and I kinda like it. It's so far out of his comfort zone, because it has no clear structure or melodic hooks to speak of, and you can forget about sweeping lush orchestral swells like in the majority of his work. But it is an interesting score, mainly because it's so exotic, full of weird and original intrumental touches. Some tracks are monotonous, while others are so vividly enjoyable the album balances itself out, short as it is at 36 minutes.
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2017
    christopher wrote
    That's a fair assessment

I've heard this one recommended, so I thought I'd try it out. I should probably just stop listening to these, though. I've tried a few of the WoW scores now and I've never enjoyed any of them. This one is like the others. They've all got plenty of big music, but that's not enough. I'm 13 tracks into this one and if there's a recurring theme in here anywhere I sure haven't noticed it. If I really wanted to get familiar with it and listen to it a bunch of times and analyze every note I'm sure I could find a lot to appreciate, but I don't want to go through all that work for a score that just isn't that fun to listen to.

MMO soundtracks tend to be subtle, to account for the many hours that the player spends in their worlds. The only one I've played with music that stands out is Final Fantasy XIV.
  11. DreamTheater wrote
    If I am not mistaken Cataclysm has one long suite which holds all the major themes and then a bunch of ambient like cues that are not very interesting melodically. You should try out Wow: Mists of Pandaria and Wow: Warlords of Draenor. Much more entertaining but they have that big orchestral sound that I adore but I suspect you are not too much a fan of. Besides Warlords of Draenor sadly has many great cues missing on the official release.

Those are the other two I've heard. I didn't care for PANDARIA much more than CATACLYSM, but I do think DRAENOR is okay. Still utterly forgettable, but better than the other two.
  12. jb1234 wrote
    MMO soundtracks tend to be subtle, to account for the many hours that the player spends in their worlds. The only one I've played with music that stands out is Final Fantasy XIV.

Isn't Neal Acree's REVELATION for an MMO? That was really quite good. I guess I can sort of see the rationale to putting forgettable music in an MMO, but if I'm going to spend hours and hours and hours playing a game, I'd like the music to be memorable! I tried FF XIV, but it was to all-over-the-map for me.
  13. jb1234 wrote
    christopher wrote
    That's a fair assessment

The best I have heard for a videogame in that particular genre is The Elder Scrolls Skyrim by Jeremy Soule and Final Fantasy XIII by Masashi Hamauzu. Then there is the fantastic album called Final Fantasy VIII: Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec written by Nobuo Uematsu. It is a brilliant album because it is set up to be listened to like a film score album. It has amazing themes, a love ballad, some terribly exciting action music, emotional moments, and a powerful finale. Except for one little screw-up in a particular cue, that album is quite simply perfect.
  14. These aren't MMO (Massively Multiplayer Online) though
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2017
    jb1234 wrote
    christopher wrote
    That's a fair assessment

I still have the first one close to my heart. But I spend hours in that game during that time.
  15. PawelStroinski wrote
    These aren't MMO (Massively Multiplayer Online) though

Quite right. Not sure why I made that connection, because I was talking about singleplayer RPG's. But they are massive games alright.
  16. Mary Shelley's Frankenstein - Patrick Doyle

I don't see Doyle ever returning to this sound, and that's a shame as I truly adore this sound. He wrote many great scores at the start of a career, and this is one of his very best. Features one of the best love themes I've ever heard.