• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: DESYNC - Daniel Deluxe & Volkor X

Excellent synth score. With synth scores, the choice of synths used plays a big part in whether I enjoy a synth score or not (reading this back it sounds a pretty obvious thing to say). And this score features a selection of synths that sound great.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2017
    Make Believe - Lucas Vidal

What a sensational score. A plethora of individual themes with playful and suspenseful variations. Never heard of the film; from about 2011 apparently, but this is well worth a listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: 1984 - Dominic Muldowney

Muldowney does a great job at giving his score a very clear feel of a poisoned utopia.

A score that isn't mentioned often enough in my opinion. Very good, and a powerhouse of a film as well.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: 1984 - Dominic Muldowney

Muldowney does a great job at giving his score a very clear feel of a poisoned utopia.

I always thought that one was a great score. One of my first film score CDs.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: DESYNC - Daniel Deluxe & Volkor X

Excellent synth score. With synth scores, the choice of synths used plays a big part in whether I enjoy a synth score or not (reading this back it sounds a pretty obvious thing to say). And this score features a selection of synths that sound great.

Are you talking about the sounds themselves or the equipment?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I can only echo what Alan says regarding DESYNC. Brilliant score!
    I am extremely serious.
  4. PawelStroinski wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

I am talking about the sounds themselves - which surely means the choice of equipment too?

For example (and I have mentioned this a few times already), I was always drawn to Jean Michel Jarre's early work rather than the music of Vangelis because Vangelis' 'sound' was always a bit too harsh for my ears, almost cacophonous. Jarre's style was usually the opposite: much less brash.

Don't get me wrong, there was much to enjoy in Vangelis' work - Albedo 0.39 was a firm favourite of mine. But, the tracks of his that I like(d) tended to be reduced down to a less busy and more 'catchy' quality. If that makes sense.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. DESYNC:
    I'm don't pay attention to video game scores. So thanks for this heads-up. A really great score. It doesn't remind me so much of Jarre ore Vangelis (both of witch I am a devotee of) but of Tangerine Dreams 80s and 90s sound. Great stuff. I could find no information about the equipment used here, nor about Daniel Deluxe's studio.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    DESYNC:
    I'm don't pay attention to video game scores. So thanks for this heads-up. A really great score. It doesn't remind me so much of Jarre ore Vangelis (both of witch I am a devotee of) but of Tangerine Dreams 80s and 90s sound. Great stuff. I could find no information about the equipment used here, nor about Daniel Deluxe's studio.

Volker

A lot of the best synth scores are coming out of videogames these days. A score that IMO is even superior to DESYNC is Douglas Holmquist's PINOUT from last year (or was it the year before?). I've gone on here and touted that several times lately.

Another pretty good one is FURI (various), at least once you weed a couple of tracks out. All of these have been recommended to me by Alan, so I appreciate that. Keep 'em coming, you probably know what appeals to me at this point. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  6. FalkirkBairn wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

I am talking about the sounds themselves - which surely means the choice of equipment too?

For example (and I have mentioned this a few times already), I was always drawn to Jean Michel Jarre's early work rather than the music of Vangelis because Vangelis' 'sound' was always a bit too harsh for my ears, almost cacophonous. Jarre's style was usually the opposite: much less brash.

Don't get me wrong, there was much to enjoy in Vangelis' work - Albedo 0.39 was a firm favourite of mine. But, the tracks of his that I like(d) tended to be reduced down to a less busy and more 'catchy' quality. If that makes sense.

Yes and no. Recently less, since software synthesizers allow you to program whatever sound you want (though if you want to be cheeky, computer is essentially choice of equipment :P ) .
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  7. Backdraft - Hans Zimmer

The full score was unofficially leaked several years ago, and this is how it appears in the film. And I absolutely love this edition for all the added material of one of Zimmer's most powerful and thematic scores. The original 30 minute release (minus the songs) can easily co-exist with this one, because their mixes are vastly different. The official album for a more powerful mix and focus on the highlights, this one for completeness sake, obviously. I have a hard time saying which one I prefer though, because both versions are equally brilliant. And it's still surprising this hasn't been released for real, because this presentation shows how much more fantastic music wasn't available on the 1991 album.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  8. I find the differences between the original mix and the film mix to be fascinating. Both have their strengths and weaknesses (the synths in the film version add a lot, but the snare drums sound so much better on the album). In a few cases I actually ended up layering the two takes on top of each other to get a best-of-both-worlds kind of situation!
  9. Yes it is interesting and the differences are sometimes subtle, sometimes not. So what exactly is the reason that the 1991 album sounds so different from the cues as they appear in the film?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  10. NP: Backdraft (1991) - Hans Zimmer

It's been ages since I listened to this score. It was about time. smile

Volker
  11. DreamTheater wrote
    Yes it is interesting and the differences are sometimes subtle, sometimes not. So what exactly is the reason that the 1991 album sounds so different from the cues as they appear in the film?

Maybe they wanted the score to seem more orchestral so that it was more palatable to a general audience? (How times have changed...)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: BRIMSTONE (JXL)

Barber or no Barber....Christ Almighty, this is a gorgeous score! I've cut it down to a 60-minute playlist.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    Thor wrote
    NP: BRIMSTONE (JXL)

Barber or no Barber....Christ Almighty, this is a gorgeous score! I've cut it down to a 60-minute playlist.

Hearing it live is great as well. I heard "Genesis" here live in the Netherlands.

BTW that movie is really messed up :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The movie is on my 'to watch' list. I have it ready to go. But I certainly don't expect it to hold the quality of the score. We'll see.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2017 edited
    Doctor Strange Michael Giacchino

My head says 2015 was a better year for Giacchino. But I return to his three 2016 scores more often. I can't get enough Giacchino.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    I can't get Giacchino.

Neither can I. :D (he, he...snuck that in there before you added the 'enough').
    I am extremely serious.
  12. GIACCHINO RULES!!!!

smile
  13. GIACCHINO IS PRETTY GOOD!!! MOST OF THE TIME!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Thor wrote
    The movie is on my 'to watch' list. I have it ready to go. But I certainly don't expect it to hold the quality of the score. We'll see.

Watching the film greatly improved my connection to the score, especially considering the final moments of the film, Watching Over Me. It's no masterpiece, but you'll be surprised how much you'll like it (and I'm sure you'll also get the overt references to The Night of the Hunter).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I agree with the German.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote
    I can't get Giacchino.

Neither can I. :D (he, he...snuck that in there before you added the 'enough').

Oh you.
  14. Steven wrote
    I agree with the German.

Which one? tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The male one.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2017
    Waltz with Bashir - Max Richter

Begins with techno before transforming into a series of diverse, often hauntingly powerful cues, many of which are embellished with excellent electronics. Especially moving are the 'Haunted Oceans' cues which feel like a template for that stunning opening piece Richter wrote for Folman's The Congress.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2017 edited
    Denial - Howard Shore

A bit of a throwback to the sound and tone of his much earlier dramatic scores but its a long way short of his best work of this type like Silence of the Lambs for example. Turgid and dreary might best describe it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2017 edited
    NP: MOANA (Mark Mancina)

I liked the songs from the moment I heard them, but the score (on album) has taken some time to fully appreciate. Now I am, though. As previously mentioned, I think the film is one of the best I've seen so far this year. The best Disney/Pixar film since TOY STORY 3.
    I am extremely serious.