• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2017 edited
    Long time no see! I'm still listening to film music, a lot. This morning I finished a Spotify Max Richter playlist and listened also to his Waltz with Bashir, which was the first score I heard of him when I heard it in the movie so many years ago. Then I fell in love with his two non-score albums The Blue Notebooks and Memoryhouse, the latter still my favourite. Quite a path he has been following since then!

At work, we are nearing a big dead line and this afternoon I keep myself awake with Basil Poledouris and Conan and Starship Troopers. punk
    Kazoo
  1. Impossible to nod off with Conan's march and Bugs! blasting through your speakers. punk

Neither with this one I'd have to say:

Superman IV: The Quest for Peace - Alexander Courage & John Williams

This is fantastic but I like the first and the second scores just a little more.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2017
    DreamTheater wrote

This is fantastic but I like the first and the second scores just a little more.

I'm unable to get through that in one sitting, but I think Williams' new themes are cheesy cute.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Ah yes, Lacy's theme is cheesy cute alright. biggrin

Would be 100 % out of place in a modern flick.

The best thing about this score is the Nuclear Man theme, in all its variations. cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2017 edited
    NP: NERUDA (Federico Jusid)

Been playing this periodically for some months now. Never heard Jusid do this kind of 'arthouse'-oriented aesthetic before, so it's refreshing -- although it's a rough listen untill the final couple of tracks (this is a promo). Love the film; another of my favourites of the year that I saw in Cannes one year ago. In fact, I prefer this over Larraín's JACKIE.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Troy Gabriel Yared

It's a shame that most French composers seem to predominantly work on small independent or drama type films. Or am I wrong? Anyway. They should do more action and adventure films. This is one of the best written for one.
  3. Many French artists and intellectuals have an aversion against Hollywood. When Truffaut worked with Spielberg back in the day it was regarded as high treason back home.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  4. NP: Themes from 70s and 80s science fiction films. The kind of music that originally drew me towards film music.
  5. NP: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1967) - Ennio Morricone

The original album sequencing. 'nough said. cool
  6. DreamTheater wrote
    Impossible to nod off with Conan's march and Bugs! blasting through your speakers. punk

Neither with this one I'd have to say:

Impossible to do any meaningful work whilst listening to them either!

I've never been able to listen to music whilst working, revising or reading. Complete silence is what I need in order to remain focused.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. It depends on the work. If I have to think too hard or write anything, I agree with you, Alan. But for chores or anything menial, a bit of music really helps make it enjoyable.
  8. The Terminator - Brad Fiedel

Funny that I somehow disliked this when I was much younger, yet now I'm able to appreciate its repetitive, harsh electronic sound much more than when it was in fashion, when it helped create an ubercool franchise. *

This latest remastered release by Milan Records (2015) has definitely opened my ears.

I'd almost call it 'genuinely awesome'.

* Maybe it has to do with my desire to hold on to the past as much as possible.
  9. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    It depends on the work...But for chores or anything menial, a bit of music really helps make it enjoyable.

Agreed. Music often accompanies me when I am doing some ironing.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2017 edited
    Thor wrote
    Keep 'em coming, you probably know what appeals to me at this point. smile

Not sure about that!

But here's another one for you to try that I am enjoying at the moment: another game score from a couple of guys calling themselves Paper Sound. Invisigun Heroes has a lot of the elements I like in a synth score ('Nemoris' is a highlight). You can listen to it in full here:

https://papersound.bandcamp.com/album/i … soundtrack
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    NP: Knock Knock - Steven Canham

Keeping on the synth scores with this 80s-inspired score from a short horror film. Good if you like a bit of ethnic percussion mixed in.

Listen to the score here: https://stevencanham.bandcamp.com/album/knock-knock
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2017
    The Birth of a Nation - Henry Jackman

In some ways the most mature dramatic work of his career though I do wish some of the many brief cues had more brilliance to them. There are great moments however and the longest cue, 'On to Jerusalem', is truly magnificent, reaching a spine-tingling cathartic high as the main theme reaches its full potential and grandest, most fleshed-out statement.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    The Circle - Danny Elfman

Definitely a welcome change of approach for Elfman with virtually every cue making dominant use of electronics. A reflection of the film's technology themes no doubt. It's nothing to rave about, perhaps, but it's still highly entertaining. The relatively short cues and 35 odd minutes run time mean it all flows by very quickly. May be one that gets better the more you hear it too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote
    Keep 'em coming, you probably know what appeals to me at this point. smile

Not sure about that!

But here's another one for you to try that I am enjoying at the moment: another game score from a couple of guys calling themselves Paper Sound. Invisigun Heroes has a lot of the elements I like in a synth score ('Nemoris' is a highlight). You can listen to it in full here:

https://papersound.bandcamp.com/album/i … soundtrack

Yes, good one! Totally agreed.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: KING KONG - James Newton Howard

The complete recordings. Much too long for a comfortable listen but there are definitely some excellent cues that are worth inserting into the original album sequence, including some brilliant action moments.

Still extremely impressed with how Howard acheived this on such a ridiculous schedule.
  10. Interstellar - Hans Zimmer

A gorgeous masterpiece because of the ingenuity on display.
    A cue like 'Mountains' is a great example of that ingenuity. And that cue is just one of many.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2017
    NP: THE MANCINI PROJECT (Henry Mancini)

The best Mancini compilation that was never commercially released. This 2CD-R set was created and given to me by an FSM friend back in the late 90s or early 2000s, and contains all the big "hits" and singles on disc 1 and all the more "serious", orchestral stuff on disc 2. Superb all around!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE MANCINI PROJECT (Henry Mancini)

The best Mancini compilation that was never commercially released. This 2CD-R set was created and given to me by an FSM friend back in the late 90s or early 2000s, and contains all the big "hits" and singles on disc 1 and all the more "serious", orchestral stuff on disc 2. Superb all around!

Same one I have. It's brilliant.

I wish I could remember who made it? shame
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I think it was member "vinylscrubber" at FSM, but right now I'm too drunk to remember his real name.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    right now I'm too drunk.

Really? That's very unlike you Thor
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Mark Stevens! It came to me through a drunken epiphany!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Mark Stevens! It came to me through a drunken epiphany!

Yup! That's him. beer cool
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Great Movie Sounds Of John Barry

A Bond heavy album, but some of the best covers of the early 007 material. Check it out.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2017
    La Marche - Stephen Warbeck

A monothematic score but the theme is a damn good one - very moving for the most part - and hummable. Opens with a guitar version before being put through a raft of variations. I like this a lot despite the obvious limitations.
  11. Troy - Gabriel Yared

Jaw-dropping in all its orchestral might ! punk
    I actually like Horner's (it has grown on me with time) but it doesn't hold a candle to this !