• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Young Sherlock Holmes - Bruce Broughton

This is so very entertaining, even at nearly 90 minutes long. This is the only Broughton expansion I don't regret buying. A solid 4 star score, and some killer cues at the end.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. NP: EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING - Ludwig Goransson

First listen. Wasn't he the guy that scored CREED a couple years ago? This is a very different style. It's mostly pleasant, kind of twinkly, and not terribly noteworthy so far, though i'm just halfway through. The highlight for me so far is "Ocean Photographs."
  3. NP: Batman: The Animated Series (1992) - Shirley Walker
    Episodes: On Leather Wings & The Last Laugh

This is a wonderful musical bridge between Elfman's (and Walker's) and Goldenthal's work. I also love Walker's score for "Mask of the Phantasm".

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  4. christopher wrote
    NP: EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING - Ludwig Goransson

First listen. Wasn't he the guy that scored CREED a couple years ago? This is a very different style. It's mostly pleasant, kind of twinkly, and not terribly noteworthy so far, though i'm just halfway through. The highlight for me so far is "Ocean Photographs."

He did do the amazing Creed, gonna listen to it soon. Though I'm expecting it will be more fluffy than Creed wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  5. King Arthur: Legend of the Sword (Daniel Pemberton)

Didn't like it. At first it sounded fresh (though it used the style from The Man From UNCLE) but it just kept repeating the same ideas. Plus where's the time you got a theme to memorize the score with? Back in the days we were always bitching about the fact the theme wasn't special or good, now you ought to be glad you get one. Again one of those scores that just brings style over substance, but I won't remember the score by it. Too bad considering Pemberton has done alright with me (for now)
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2017
    I am listening to it as well at the moment. Still need to make up my mind about it. It is interesting though.
  6. Alien Covenant (Jed Kurzel)

Well, if your material needs to be interesting when someone else's his music (or theme) needs to play, then you're in trouble. The first part pays homage to Alien of Goldsmith, but the second part is (I suppose) mostly him. And that's far less interesting. "Cargo Lift" is perhaps the most exciting track, but when I couldn't even remember track 22 (Alien Covenant Theme) then it was clear as hell. No way am I gonna listen to this again, if I have lots of other Alien(s) scores to choose from instead.
  7. I'm just finishing ALIEN COVENANT. It's not one I plan to return to, either.
  8. Jerry Goldsmith - Islands in the Steram

Haven't heard this one for years.

It's one I plan to return to.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  9. MARIE CURIE - Bruno Coulais

Like most of Coulais's work, this doesn't do anything for me. It's there. It's fine I guess. Stuff is happening. It's a little weird.
  10. Collage - James Horner

This is such an amazingly well put together release. It's an emotional journey through the essence of the composer, of the man's sound and his ability and desire to touch our hearts. I for one am happy that this turned out to be his true final release. The two tracks of 'First in Flight' are amazingly from 2012 when I honestly thought it would've been from his more prolific period of the late 90s, which was chock-full of emotional scores. The 'Legends of the Fall' suite is gorgeous as expected, as is Wolf Totem, which to me is a bit underwhelming as a score, but this luckily holds the sublime finale cue. And I adore the two final suites... first the action-packed Aliens, which is sufficiently different from the original recording, yet still fresh and tremendously exciting and then the lengthy Collage in six parts (which I edited together in one single cue). A fun suite which revisits his trademark motifs from the early days.

A FANTASTIC ALBUM IMHO. cool lick love
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2017
    The Man with the Golden Gun - JBa

Not one of his finest Bond scores of course, but nor is it as weak as seems to be generally taken as read. Lots of fun. (And while the film is very silly, "that" stunt is still the most amazing one I've ever seen in a film.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2017 edited
    Southall wrote
    The Man with the Golden Gun - JBa

Not one of his finest Bond scores of course, but nor is it as weak as seems to be generally taken as read. Lots of fun. (And while the film is very silly, "that" stunt is still the most amazing one I've ever seen in a film.)

It is a brilliant stunt, one of the very best ever. JB later said he regretted adding the slide-whistle. IMO it is Barry's weakest Bond score though not without its moments.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  11. NP: Alien Covenant (2017) - Jed Kurtzel

This is a big step up from Streitenfeld's Prometheus. As has been said, the first halve is a homage to Goldsmith's original score. Kurtzel succeeds here, even if he relies a bit too heavy on the famous main theme. I also like much of his own less melodic material. I'm curious to appreciate the score in context.
    An atmospheric score that nicely blends into the franchise's heritage.

Volker
  12. NP: Terminator 2 - Judgement Day (1992) - Brad Fiedel

The recently released remaster of the original soundtrack album. It sounds great but I cannot compare it to the Varese release because I never owned it. This seems to be a somewhat easier listening experience than the score of the original film. This re-release closes a gap in my collection and it nicely complements the remastered Terminator album by Milan.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2017
    Is there much point remastering a synth score? I've always wondered this. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
  13. As a long time collector of electronic music I can assure you that there is much point in remastering it. Until digital recoding showed up synthesizers were recorded on analogue tape same as every other music. Hence you can achieve as much improvement in sound quality as you can with any other analogue recording.
    Maybe Terminator 2 was already recorded digitally. That I don't know.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2017
    Inception Hans

One of the most influential scores of recent times, and one of the best.
  14. Southall wrote
    One of the most influential scores of recent times

Indubitably.

Southall wrote
    and one of the best.

Dubitably.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    yeah
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    if I'd gone to a top 100 in that thread I did a few years ago Hans would have made it with a few scores and Inception would have been one, it's a bloody great score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  15. yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2017 edited
    Tulip Fever - Danny Elfman

Great lush string and orchestral writing from Elfman here. Highly recommended.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2017 edited
    Remember Me Olivier Deriviere

This is so good. I fear the title was a foreboding of this composer's career. Why is this man not hired for every major game production? slant
  16. I notice that he does have a new score coming out soon. Can't remember the name of the project though.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Get Even. I've just finished listening to it. I'm not sure what to make of it. It's clearly an intelligent and well thought-out score, with some unique sound effects that, I assume, reflect the level or setting. But it wasn't particularly entertaining, at least not on my first listen. Remember Me remains his best overall score I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I interviewed Olivier on stage just a few days ago, in Cannes. I've been rather lukewarm to his work (except for REMEMBER ME, which I like), but hearing about his approach to stuff -- especially the thought behind this new project that you talk about (GET EVEN), I'm starting to hear his music in a slightly different light. But with him, it's first and foremost about experiencing the score in the game. And I don't play games.
    I am extremely serious.
  17. Just finished my first listen to Geoff Zanelli's PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN: DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES.

It's one of the better scores I've heard this year so far (which isn't say a whole lot really). Zanelli has done a really good job recreating the sound of the first three scores. It reprises all of my favorite themes from those scores as well as adding a few nice new ones. The techno remix of "He's a Pirate" at the end is entertaining, if a big shift away from the sound of the rest of the album. My favorite track was probably "The Dying Gull," which is short, but offers a huge rendition and nice variation of one of the former themes.
  18. NP: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales - Geoff Zanelli

This takes so long to get going and when it does - hearing the old themes - it just makes me want to go and listen to the original score.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2017
    christopher wrote
    Just finished my first listen to Geoff Zanelli's PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN: DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES.

It's one of the better scores I've heard this year so far (which isn't say a whole lot really). Zanelli has done a really good job recreating the sound of the first three scores. It reprises all of my favorite themes from those scores as well as adding a few nice new ones. The techno remix of "He's a Pirate" at the end is entertaining, if a big shift away from the sound of the rest of the album. My favorite track was probably "The Dying Gull," which is short, but offers a huge rendition and nice variation of one of the former themes.

I found it extremely OK, and it would be better if it didn't sound so cheap. The third remains by far the best.