• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. The third is definitely the best.
  2. I saw the new film last night and it had some pretty big statements of the gorgeous love theme from the third film. Does anyone with the new album know if these are on there?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2017
    NP: Scott of the Antarctic (Re-recording) - Ralph Vaughan Williams

The soundtrack release of the year! Every last note from this bonafide classic faithfully re-recorded by the brilliant Royal Scottish National Orchestra under the baton of Martin Yates! Nothing I can say will do this score and album justice! Just go and get it NOW!

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/prodde … d=CDLX7340
    http://www.screenarchives.com/title_det … ETE-SCORE/

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Why didn't they put it on Spotify sad
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. It's a brilliant cd, I got it earlier in the week and it's just a terrific recording all round. I've had the Chandos recording for years but it was the same length as the Symphony and didn't add much. This is pretty much twice the length and is, frankly, a revelation. It'll be getting a lot of plays from me!
  5. John Chambers wrote
    I saw the new film last night and it had some pretty big statements of the gorgeous love theme from the third film. Does anyone with the new album know if these are on there?

It's there. I haven't listened to the score "properly" yet, but the love theme is there.
  6. Cool, thanks!
  7. Erik Woods wrote

The soundtrack release of the year! Every last note from this bonafide classic faithfully re-recorded by the brilliant Royal Scottish National Orchestra under the baton of Martin Yates! Nothing I can say will do this score and album justice! Just go and get it NOW!

-Erik-

OK, OK, OK! It's ordered. wink
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2017
    Wonder Woman - a man

Imagine if you will the most generic thing you've ever come across in your life. Well, I win, because whatever you thought of isn't as generic as this.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2017
    The various movie clips made it sound like pretty much anyone in the RC school could have written it. Just very bland and lacking a sound of its own.
  8. NP: Dream of Space

A newly conceived playlist replacing an earlier such project. It runs about 88 minutes. Since l aimed for listening pleasure I often opted for re-recordings.

1. Star Wars Main Theme (Williams), as recorded by the composer and the Boston Pops
    2. Terminator 2 Theme (Fiedel)
    3. Alien: Closing Theme (Goldsmith), The Boston Pops
    4. Captain Future (Bruhn), from the German score
    5. Battlestar Galactica (Phillips), The Boston Pops
    6. Die Besucher / Nastevnici (Svoboda), from a Czech/German TV series of the 80s
    7. Dune (Toto), Suite recorded by the Prague Philharmonics on Silva Screen
    8. Interstellar: I'm Going Home (Zimmer)
    9. The Raider's March (Williams), The Boston Pops
    10. Cosmos: A Personal Voyage (Vangelis), Excerpt, taken from a best-of compi
    11. Lord of the Rings: The Breaking of the Fellowship (Shore)
    12. 2010 Odyssey II Finale (Shire), recorded by the Prague Philharmonics
    13. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Leadon), as recorded my Marc Ayres
    14. Batman Finale and Theme (Elfman)
    15. Isaac Asimov: I Robot (Alan Parsons)
    16. The Black Hole Finale (Barry)
    17. Blade Runner Theme (Vangelis), as recorded by Edgar Rothermich
    18. Babylon 5 (Franke)
    19. Unterwegs nach Atlantis (On the Way to Atlantis) (Svoboda), ripped from DVD, a German TV series of the 80s
    20. Star Trek TMP (Goldsmith), The Boston Pops
    21. The Never Ending Story: Flight Theme (Doldinger)

smile Volker
  9. I was unsure whether to use Goldsmith or Hanson for the Alien entry. For now I used Goldsmith.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's ever so slightly more brief than my own, rather less romantically named SciFi list, but still: a most worthwhile listen!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Cleopatra - Alex North

Surely the most cerebral score written for one of these epics. I prefer my epics to sound more epic, but it's an exquisitely-drawn piece of work.
  10. Erik Woods wrote

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/prodde … d=CDLX7340
    http://www.screenarchives.com/title_det … ETE-SCORE/

-Erik-

Started listening to that CD and I had to stop it half-way through because the music lost me. Was expecting something a bit more... uhm... adventurous and thematic. I'll give it another chance when I'm more in the mood but nearly 80 minutes of this will seriously test my patience.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  11. You are not satisfies as long as drums and brass aren't in highest gear constantly, no? wink
  12. Not sure, maybe I was expecting something more memorable from the get go after all the praise I've heard. I'm sure it needs to be heard multiple times. Never read about the story, never saw the film, never heard one note of this music, so I didn't know what I was in for.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  13. Captain Future wrote
    NP: Terminator 2 - Judgement Day (1992) - Brad Fiedel

The recently released remaster of the original soundtrack album. It sounds great but I cannot compare it to the Varese release because I never owned it. This seems to be a somewhat easier listening experience than the score of the original film. This re-release closes a gap in my collection and it nicely complements the remastered Terminator album by Milan.

Volker

I own the original release and it sounds fantastic, so I have no need for the remaster. Then again, it could be an improvement on something that already sounds great to my ears.

Anyway, this score is totally awesome, wish someday we could have everything that appears in the film, but there seems to be a problem with the original masters (they're lost as I've read) so we may never get that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2017
    Under the Volcano Alex North

A miniature masterpiece. I've always loved this - so much going on, so many depths.
  14. NP: Superman - John Williams
    As re-recorded by The Royal Scottish National Orchestra and John Debney.

The blue box FSM edition of the original recording is magnificent but I fell in love with this recording years ago upon first listen.

Volker
  15. The Golden Child - Michel Colombier, John Barry, VA

First the Colombier score which may be appropriate for the silly film. It's not very good music heard away from the film. It could hardly be called music.
    The Barry score is too good for the film and as an album it's a damn fine film score, even if all of it was rejected. I particularly love the love theme, some suspense cues and the 10 minute finale.
    The third disc is a bunch of alternates and songs from the film. It's hit and miss, but I do like the 80s glam-rock vibe of 'Body Talk' by a band called Ratt. Yes... Ratt !!! Never heard of them either. confused
  16. Frontiers - Jerry Goldsmith

Performed by the RSNO conducted by the man himself.

What a brilliant compilation ! cool
  17. NP: A View to a Kill (1985) - John Barry, Duran Duran

Remembering Roger Moore, who will always be my Bond ... and John Barry.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2017
    DreamTheater wrote
    The Golden Child - Michel Colombier, John Barry, VA

First the Colombier score which may be appropriate for the silly film. It's not very good music heard away from the film. It could hardly be called music.
    The Barry score is too good for the film and as an album it's a damn fine film score, even if all of it was rejected. I particularly love the love theme, some suspense cues and the 10 minute finale.
    The third disc is a bunch of alternates and songs from the film. It's hit and miss, but I do like the 80s glam-rock vibe of 'Body Talk' by a band called Ratt. Yes... Ratt !!! Never heard of them either. confused

I don't care for the Barry score, but I absolutely ADORE the Colombier!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: A View to a Kill (1985) - John Barry, Duran Duran

Volker

Roger Moore is your Bond and John Barry? uhm
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: A View to a Kill (1985) - John Barry, Duran Duran

Volker

I know what you meant wink

Really underrated Bond score and is, barring a few sublime cues from Moonraker, my favourite Roger Moore starred Bond score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  18. I like A View to a Kill, but I think The Living Daylights is my Roger Moore Bond score. That said, I haven't properly heard Moonraker and Man with the Golden Gun, though I never read a very positive opinion of the latter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I think The Living Daylights is my Roger Moore Bond score.

Don't tell Timothy Dalton.
  19. Gremlins - Mr. Goldsmith

The Retrograde Records release from 2011 was long overdue and for me it was an instant buy. Ever since I first saw the film this among many others from the time has cemented my love for film music.
    One of his most creative efforts for sure. What else can be said than this excellent fun all the way. Wouldn't change a thing in how Jerry handled the horror and comedy aspects of this wonderfully zany film, and that includes all his wacky sound effects. biggrin
  20. Steven wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I think The Living Daylights is my Roger Moore Bond score.

Don't tell Timothy Dalton.

Oh, shit. True that. biggrin

At least the change in actors happened so late that The Living Daylights still had the Moore trademark goofiness (*ski chase ends, flash passports*)