• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP - THE EXCEPTION - Ilan Eshkeri

I'm wrapping up my first listen to this and really enjoying it. It's very classical-sounding (a sound that Eshkeri excels at) and dramatic. This is certainly one of the better scores I've heard from 2017 so far.
  2. NP: The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962) - Cyril Mockridge

No Gene Pitney here, but a fine Western score all the same. The film, which I know well, is just airing here in Germany. So I muted the TV, put the album on and let the film run in the background.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2017
    Albion: The Enchanted Stallion George Kallis

This is lovely.
  3. NP: My Cousin Rachel - Rael Jones

Enjoying this one. Composer establishes an unsettling tone to the score.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2017 edited
    I met Rael in Krakow, I need to check his music out!
  4. NP - GET EVEN - Olivier Deriviere

Always interesting, though not always my favorite style to listen to. I like the tracks that rely more heavily on strings. I'm less wild about the industrial tracks, though it was interesting to incorporate the train into the rhythm at one point. I don't like it as much as some of his others, but I'll always give a new Deriviere score a listen.
  5. NP: Doctor Whoever Series 5 (2010) - Murray Gold

Admittedly I never had any affection for that franchise and that might explain my lack of enthusiasm for the music. I like the ambient stuff. I don't like the easy listening pop stuff. I like some of the action material. "I am the Doctor" is the one stand-out cue that I remember always.

Bust the best score ever? Aidabaida, no way!

Rose Tyler, anyhow, I would like to interview privately in my bedr... er. whatever. wink love

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2017
    Certainly not the best score ever, but the score that got me into film-music, the score that, whenever I wish for goosebumps, I must merely pop into the CD player, the first score I spent money on purchasing, and the first score to bring me to tears!
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  6. Ah! I can very much relate to that. For me that would have been "Chariots of Fire" by Vangelis on vinyl back then. Ah, those were the days! smile
  7. Gold's choral and vocal stuff owes a bit to Morricone, at least in my perception.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Oh, yes he takes liberal inspiration from his predecessors, and mixes them in with a Zimmer-esque modern sensibility, while adding voluminous sprinkles of his own bleating-brass writing. I'm not kidding, his brass writing is absolutely second-to-none, comparable to Newton Howard's mastery of the strings.
  8. I'm actually not a big fan of the way Gold does brass sometimes. Those loud blasting chords just get obnoxious and drown out everything else in the mix. It's like he's trying to sound like David Arnold but it never comes off quite as nicely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    If you have not played "Words Win Wars" as loud as your speakers can go while cruising the highway without traffic, you have not lived.
  9. NP: The Lighthorsemen - Mario Millo

How come I haven't heard anything about this rousing score from 1987? Exciting, thematic orchestral score that has a Raiders of the Lost Ark-type adventure sort of a feel to it in its exuberance.

The movie seems to be more of a dramatic WWI movie rather than a Saturday morning matinee sort of thing, but the score feels more the latter. What sounds like a relatively small orchestra means that the sound does sound a bit thinner than the gutsy orchestral presence we are used to but it's a great little score this one.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  10. FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Lighthorsemen - Mario Millo

How come I haven't heard anything about this rousing score from 1987? Exciting, thematic orchestral score that has a Raiders of the Lost Ark-type adventure sort of a feel to it in its exuberance.

The movie seems to be more of a dramatic WWI movie rather than a Saturday morning matinee sort of thing, but the score feels more the latter. What sounds like a relatively small orchestra means that the sound does sound a bit thinner than the gutsy orchestral presence we are used to but it's a great little score this one.

Sounds interesting, gonna try to find it smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  11. It's on Spotify and digital stores.

Thanks for your interest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2017
    NP: LEGENDS OF THE FALL (James Horner)

I often scroll through my iTunes library and stop at some random album that I haven't played in a while. That was the case here; one of my most-played Horners, probably.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2017 edited
    NP: PAIN & GAIN (Steve Jablonsky)

One of my favourite scores (and films) from 2013.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2017
    Cutthroat Island - Debney

Picked this up at a half-price books for 10 dollars.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2017
    NP: Judge Dredd - Alan Silvestri

Alan came up with one of THE BEST (Top Ten/Top Five) superhero/comic book fanfare ever.
  12. NP: Scott of the Antarctic (1948) - Ralph Vaughan Williams

The complete recording on Dutton Vocalion. In times when re-recording film scores seemingly is coming to an end, it is almost a moral obligation for film music connoisseurs to obtain such a release as this.
    The recording sounds extraordinary and the music is lush and luxurious in style.
    Now, to fully appreciate this one surely needs to be familiar with the film, which I am not. In fact the film is little known here in Germany. It never had a DVD release and I can't remember it airing on TV. I will see to that sometime.

Volker
  13. lp wrote
    NP: Judge Dredd - Alan Silvestri

Alan came up with one of THE BEST (Top Ten/Top Five) superhero/comic book fanfare ever.

Strangely, I still prefer the original album and not the revised version of Intrada. Though they both get 5 star ratings. I prefer the versions on the original album, and the big sound it's getting punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  14. Listening to the original STAR WARS trilogy CDs. In reversed order for whatever reason. Anyway JEDI and EMPIRE have the most peculiar track order. But the sound of these albums is unique and instantly recognizable.
    I believe you could probably dance a Cancan to The Forest Battle. But I will refrain from doing so. tongue

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2017
    I just listened to WONDER WOMEN by Nick whatshisname and I totally agree with Mr Southall's review that it is dull. I've already forgotten it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  15. You forgot what?
  16. Timmer wrote
    I just listened to WONDER WOMEN by Nick whatshisname

Do you mean WONDER WOMAN by Rupert Gregson-Williams? I don't recall much of it after one listen, but I thought it was quite a bit better than either of the other scores for the DC universe, and I suspect that after a couple more listens I won't have too much trouble remembering the various themes he composed for it.
  17. Timmer wrote
    Nick whatshisname

lol
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2017
    Yeah, one of those hyphenated blokes that do music and stuff.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  18. Sven-Göran Eriksson?
  19. Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov?