• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2017
    Thor wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: PAIN & GAIN (Steve Jablonsky)

One of my favourite scores (and films) from 2013.

yep, we've found one fan smile

Not quite. It's one of those films and scores that are appreciated more by film critics than film music communities.

From Wikipedia:

Pain & Gain received mixed reviews from critics. Rotten Tomatoes gives the film a 49% rating, based on 183 reviews, with an average rating of 5.3/10. The site's consensus reads, "It may be his most thought-provoking film to date, but Michael Bay's Pain & Gain ultimately loses its satirical edge in a stylized flurry of violent spectacles." Metacritic gave the film a score of 45 out of 100, based on 42 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".

British critic Mark Kermode described the film as "grotesquely inappropriate" and "every bit as pumped up and steroidal as the appalling characters it is attempting to portray". Scott Foundas of Variety writes" "the violence mostly lands with a sickening thud, which is fitting, one supposes, but also ultimately numbing." Philip French writing for The Observer said of the violent black comedy that he "rather enjoyed it" with particular praise for Ed Harris. Referring to the movie as "a Bay botch job", Rolling Stone gave the film 1/2 star out of 4, noting: "he (director Bay) once claimed he wanted to make a small, personal film that would reveal the real Bay. And, I'm here to report, that Pain and Gain is that film. It's dumb, shallow, deeply cynical and creatively bereft."
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2017 edited
    Mixed sounds about right, but mostly positive in my circles here in Norway, at least. Hugely misunderstood film.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. NP: All is Lost (2013) - Alex Ebert

I saw part of the film on TV and was captured by the score. I'm now listening to it on Spotify. It has some Angelo Badalamenti vibes about it and I like it a lot.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2017
    Didn't care much for the score, but I loved the film.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Captain Future wrote
    NP: All is Lost (2013) - Alex Ebert

I saw part of the film on TV and was captured by the score. I'm now listening to it on Spotify. It has some Angelo Badalamenti vibes about it and I like it a lot.

Volker

Funny, Kühni just posted over on Filmtracks about watching this movie. Coincidence? I think not biggrin

He didn't like the score as much as you wink
  3. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: All is Lost (2013) - Alex Ebert

Volker

Funny, Kühni just posted over on Filmtracks about watching this movie. Coincidence? I think not biggrin

He didn't like the score as much as you wink

Certainly not as the film was on German TV (ZDF) yesterday night. smile
  4. I figured it would be something like that! I only ever watch German TV when there's some football game on (which there actually was yesterday, but I figured it wouldn't be worth it to start a thread about the Confed Cup of all things biggrin )
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Personally, I'd say that you're not missing much. I just can't enjoy much of what they have produced so far.

A shame, since Cave and Ellis are at their finest when they write gloomy, melancholic music to films such The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford and Loin de Hommes. Have you heard those?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    THE ROAD is excellent!
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Joep wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Personally, I'd say that you're not missing much. I just can't enjoy much of what they have produced so far.

A shame, since Cave and Ellis are at their finest when they write gloomy, melancholic music to films such The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford and Loin de Hommes. Have you heard those?

I've heard Lion de Hommes, and this one is probably the one I like most of what I have hear of theirs (Hell Or High Water, Mars and The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford).
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote
    There are not many concert set pieces.

Ummm... there are 5 concert set pieces.

- Rey's Theme
    - March of the Resistance
    - Scherzo for X-Wings
    - The Jedi Steps
    - Finale

All five concert pieces were recently re-recorded by Keith Lockhart and the Boston Pops Orchestra and released on an album called Lights, Camera...Music! Six Decades Of John Williams.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    All five concert pieces were recently re-recorded by Keith Lockhart and the Boston Pops Orchestra and released on an album called Lights, Camera...Music! Six Decades Of John Williams.-

Been spinning that a lot lately. Great album; a must-have compilation for all Williams fans.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    There are not many concert set pieces.

Ummm... there are 5 concert set pieces.

- Rey's Theme
    - March of the Resistance
    - Scherzo for X-Wings
    - The Jedi Steps
    - Finale

All five concert pieces were recently re-recorded by Keith Lockhart and the Boston Pops Orchestra and released on an album called Lights, Camera...Music! Six Decades Of John Williams.

-Erik-

That's right. They don't stand out as clearly in a 70 something minutes presentation as opposed to a 40 something minutes LP presentation. And maybe they are not as hummable as have been earlier signature themes of the franchise. I don't mind that at all though.
  7. O, and thanks for the heads up concerning that album.

Volker
  8. Glory - James Horner

One of his most thematically beautiful but at the same time gut-wrenching. How many composers today are able to write something as strong in that kind of combination. The children's choir makes a huge difference but the the themes are just as vibrant without it. One of those scores that grabs ones attention from the first notes and doesnt stop. The score album is pretty much perfect and I particularly love the way the composer builds to that incredibly exciting, then moving finale.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I agree, Gilles. But the sound of that release is very 'spacey'. The weak parts are really weak, and then when it kicks in, it's way too loud. Like those old Prague recordings.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2017 edited
    This one's particularly for Tim to enjoy:

https://youtu.be/n6t4WD-pYCc

NP: UFO - Barry Gray

A Youtube video featuring 3-4 takes of the opening titles of UFO with the video showing some interesting production stills from the show.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2017
    Cool but I wish someone was filming the actual session. Barry Gray was touched with genius when it came to themes.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. Playing the samples from this:
    http://www.quartetrecords.com/sotto-il- … pione.html

I was on track seventeen when I started hearing these weird male vocals and I looked around thinking, who the fuck is doing that? It was the music. The headphones don't fit tightly enough and the sound kind of made me think it was from elsewhere.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: BRIMSTONE (Tom Holkenborg)

cool

Sorry to say that I have many issues with the film, Joep (I know you worked on it), but I'm still loving the score like there's no tomorrow.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    DreamTheater wrote
    Glory - James Horner

One of his most thematically beautiful but at the same time gut-wrenching. How many composers today are able to write something as strong in that kind of combination. The children's choir makes a huge difference but the the themes are just as vibrant without it. One of those scores that grabs ones attention from the first notes and doesnt stop. The score album is pretty much perfect and I particularly love the way the composer builds to that incredibly exciting, then moving finale.

Agreed, on all points. It's as close to a perfect album as I've come across.

I just finished my first listen to Mark McKenzie's new score to DRAGONHEART: SOME SUBTITLE I CAN'T REMEMBER. He is just an excellent composer. He was limited by budget to a mostly electronic score, but I think he really did an excellent job making the most of what he could use and selecting a sound pallet that doesn't sound like it was a monetary necessity. The finale track is the strongest, including a lovely rendition of Edelman's original theme.
  10. As we're getting closer to that sad day (tomorrow, the second anniversary of Horner's death), I've been playing one of my lesser faves, and then one of my all-time favorites.

Gorky Park

It's OK, but not one I return to for enjoyment sake. I try to listen to all my Horners (I have a lot) in equal measure, and this one has been a while. The Kritzerland release is short and has 2 presentations and to be honest it's all I'll ever need. Irina's theme is good, so I'm glad to have that twice on the same disc. Well 4 times to be exact if I count the airport farewell cue. But to be honest I much rather listen to a certain sci-fi score from the following year:

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock

This has been one in that absolutely brilliant decade for music that laid the seeds for my musical tastes that still define the guy I am (and which continue to intrigue me without end). More so than Star Trek II, this sequel score had that instantly memorable signature sound by the man that made me an instant fan (along with Aliens). I don't know why exactly I prefer Trek III over II but one reason is the stupendous 'Stealing the Enterprise'. Another huge reason are all the brilliant cues previously unavailable on the GNP Crescendo album such as 'A Fighting Chance to Live' and 'Genesis Destroyed'. Or maybe it's just because I adore the combination of the gorgeous and the exciting.

Just one more, tomorrow, the mother of all Horner epics ! Some members will already know which one. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  11. That would be 1984. 1986 has one of my favourite, if seldom talked about scores by James Horner: The Name of the Rose. It doesn't seem to feature in your tour though.

smile Volker
  12. NP: Papillion (1973) - Jerry Goldsmith

Quartet has released a complete edition of this iconic score, limited to 1000 copies. Mat Matessino did the mastering and the whole thing looks gorgeous.
    I, anyway, will hold on to my UMG France copy which I am fine with.

Volker
  13. Captain Future wrote
    That would be 1984. 1986 has one of my favourite, if seldom talked about scores by James Horner: The Name of the Rose. It doesn't seem to feature in your tour though.

smile Volker

I don't believe I've ever heard it. And if I did it means I didn't like it.

Maybe (re)visit that one.
  14. Anyway it's time for the big one.

To Gillian on her 37th Birthday

Not true of course. tongue

It's.... wait for it !!! You won't believe this....

Krull

The Supertracks release is in a word irreplaceable. At least for me it is, that's why I never upgraded to the more recent one from LLL. It's music I can never tire of and that is always listened to at full volume, the complete 90 minutes while singing along with Horner's brilliant writing (disc 2 is non-stop brilliance). Is this his most full blown operatic and awesome score ever? IMO It definitely is and it ranks up there alongside Williams The Empire Strikes Back in terms of themes, development, beauty and excitement.
  15. DreamTheater wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    That would be 1984. 1986 has one of my favourite, if seldom talked about scores by James Horner: The Name of the Rose. It doesn't seem to feature in your tour though.

smile Volker

I don't believe I've ever heard it. And if I did it means I didn't like it.

Maybe (re)visit that one.

It is this cue that I find especially magical. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2017
    Nouvelle France - Patrick Doyle

Basically the same theme repeated ad nauseum (and it's not the only Doyle score where that's the case) - but what a theme it is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2017
    Thor wrote
    NP: BRIMSTONE (Tom Holkenborg)

cool

Sorry to say that I have many issues with the film, Joep (I know you worked on it), but I'm still loving the score like there's no tomorrow.

Agreed
  16. Southall wrote
    Nouvelle France - Patrick Doyle

Basically the same theme repeated ad nauseum (and it's not the only Doyle score where that's the case) - but what a theme it is.

10- Les Retrouvailles love
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh