• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2017
    Southall wrote
    Planet of the Apes Danny Elfman

Outstanding score. Possibly my favourite Elfman/Burton score?

This is surprising. I just checked your site to see what you rated it, and discovered the only 5 stars you've given Elfman was for "Nightmare Before Christmas"!
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    People are allowed to re-evaluate years old opinions you know wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    People are allowed to re-evaluate years old opinions you know wink

I used to think that, now I don't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    One of the many reasons why I am not rating my reviews :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Planet of the Apes Danny Elfman

Outstanding score. Possibly my favourite Elfman/Burton score?

Them's fighting words, but it's no doubt an excellent score. Perhaps even in my Top 10 Elfman (but only barely).
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Caliburn wrote
    One of the many reasons why I am not rating my reviews :-)

But even though people do not rate reviews their opinion still indicates some sort of rating, even though that rating is indirect.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. NP: Der Weiße Hai (1975) - John Williams

I read about that MONDO LP release of the complete score of JAWS which let to me now listening to the CD version of it. I still don't really get the vinyl revival thing but I have to admit as a sheer show piece this LP is remarkable.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. Even though I was a teenager when vinyl was still around, I'll never jump on the bandwagon either and start collecting them just for the sake of them being vintage or producing a better analog sound. Give me CD any day of the week, which in reality is the case: I still pick at least one jewel case and put the disc in my player every day. cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2017 edited
    WAR OF THE PLANET OF THE APES - Michael Giacchino

This is really good. No, really. I was already a fan of his previous Apes score, the way he brought it back to Goldsmith's more raw, percussive origins, which he now expands on with new themes (both sparse and melancholic as well as more sweeping ones) and a larger orchestral presence. I remember his Dawn score got a lot of backlash, probably because it wasn't as accessible, but from a musicianship angle, this is simply great film scoring.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2017
    can't wait to hear it. He's on a roll. the new spidey score is so good and thankfully so further away from that zimmer awful crap the previous time.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Listening now on spotify. That 'exodus wounds' cue is gorgeous!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    It is!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh and 'a tide in the affair of apes'. Such colorful writing! And 'more red than alive'. Love his writing. Wonderful, slow-burning, epic score. The choral work is amazing too. 'end credits' is hands-down the best cue on the album too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Also, that mournful piano theme in Don't Luca Now. Love the melancholic nature, combined with the raw, simian-like percussion while also developing his themes. While Dawn was more intense, the colors add here to a more wholesome score.

Oh, and LONG tracks, and structure, and narrative!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Demetris wrote
    can't wait to hear it. He's on a roll. the new spidey score is so good.

Haven't heard it yet in full, but I love that suite.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BobdH wrote
    Also, that mournful piano theme in Don't Luca Now. Love the melancholic nature, combined with the raw, simian-like percussion while also developing his themes. While Dawn was more intense, the colors add here to a more wholesome score.

Oh, and LONG tracks, and structure, and narrative!

anbsolutely.

Have been playing it since morning, all on repeat. This score further proves why we are so lucky to have Giacchino scoring for the musical genre we love. This is a coherent, mature, and complete score for a change, with clear structures and beautifully bold themes. Absolutely loved it. Especially the end credits suite, it's the top highlight of the album. Overall, hands-down the best score of 2017 (so far).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SPIDEY COME HOME - Michael Giacchino

A proper spiderman score. This is really good.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

loved it too. uplifting, dense, colorful. waiting for your opinion on the war of the planet of the apes score smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yeah, I'm going to play that one later today D.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Demetris wrote

Overall, hands-down the best score of 2017 (so far).

Agreed. As far as I've heard this year so far. Probably Giacchino's best since Jupiter Ascending.
  4. My opinion on both Giacchino scores is coming up soon. Having just heard War I have to say that I'll gladly sink my more analytical teeth into that score, because it just feels like the movies were tailor-made for Giacchino. Just as Tyler could spend the rest of his life just scoring Now You See Me, Giacchino has his Apes scores.

Now on Spider-Man.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    John Carter and Jupiter Ascending, f@cking amazing scores! playing Jupiter Ascending now
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    After thoroughly enjoying Jupiter Ascending , i am now playing on loud volumes: MICHAEL GIACCHINO - John Carter

Mindblowingly good. "The Prize Is Barsoom" is hands-down one of the best modern film score pieces written so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote

Have been playing it since morning, all on repeat. This score further proves why we are so lucky to have Giacchino scoring for the musical genre we love. This is a coherent, mature, and complete score for a change, with clear structures and beautifully bold themes. Absolutely loved it. Especially the end credits suite, it's the top highlight of the album. Overall, hands-down the best score of 2017 (so far).

Yeah, it's great. Apparently Matt Reeves, the director, is helming The Batman. I hope he brings Giacchino along and ditches Junk XL.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    I still don't really get the vinyl revival thing

Discounting the hipster "vintage is cool" thing, I sorta get it: theer's something very visceral about spinning vinyl: you see the actual spinning of the sound carrier, when using a half-automatic you actually physically have to put on the needle, the click and whirr of the arm... but then my point of view is of course massively skewed, being fully grounded in (and never actually having let go off) the vinyl era (there is no period in my life I did NOT own a turntable).
    In much the same way I have a soft spot for tape recorders and cassete recorders...although it's always been the turntable I return to.

I purchase the odd vinyl album now and again, but yeah, it's as much for nostalgia's sake as anything else.
    New stuff is always digital (CD or download).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. Timmer wrote

NP. Very entertaining. It carries over some of the feeling the old TV scores had.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Right now I'm listening to the track released from Dunkirk...it sounds like something I could've composed.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  6. It is not impressive. Why release that track now?
  7. To build hype. WaterTower has been doing this for a while now.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote

NP. Very entertaining. It carries over some of the feeling the old TV scores had.

Volker

It does, there's some breezy youthful lightness in some tracks more in keeping with Spideys character than the earlier scores by Elfman, Horner, Zimmer.