• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorMogens
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2017
    The Wrong Box - John Barry

One of Barry's lesser works from the 60s (which still makes it pretty damn good!), but definitely a delightful listen. The main theme waltz is just wonderful.
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    The Whisperers - John Barry

An amazing score this one! Hauntingly beautiful and for the most part very intimately scored by Barry. Yet another testament to the great man's versatility!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Mogens wrote

An amazing score this one! Hauntingly beautiful and for the most part very intimately scored by Barry. Yet another testament to the great man's versatility!

A good film too, very rarely shown.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2017
    War for the etc Giacchino

I liked this at first and commented to "a friend"* that as impressive as it was, I didn't suppose I would end up listening to it as often as Spider-Man. Since then, I've listened to barely anything else and it just keeps growing on me. Best score album of the year so far.

*I should explain more about this "friend" at another time
  1. Is his "friends" name Mirror Mirror on the Wall?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2017 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I feel like you shouldn't get to complain about modern film music and then go on to enjoy a Transformers sequel score (or something like Winter Soldier). dizzy

i am not complaining about modern film music. I did in the past while it was in the process of changing. Now i have long accepted it's changed for ever, and went the 'fuck this, delete this, ignore him and all of his works, don't want to listen to this, don't care about that' route of things, focusing only on the outcome of composers i know i like and listening to new stuff and new composers either via spotify (and either get hooked on, or ignore completely) or via new movies i watch frequently. Threw the shit out, focusing on the good stuff i love and there's a lot of it.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Southall wrote
    War for the etc Giacchino

I liked this at first and commented to "a friend"* that as impressive as it was, I didn't suppose I would end up listening to it as often as Spider-Man. Since then, I've listened to barely anything else and it just keeps growing on me. Best score album of the year so far.

*I should explain more about this "friend" at another time

I'm going to wait until I've seen the movie before giving this another go. Thankfully, that's only twelve hours away.
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    Timmer wrote
    Mogens wrote

I haven't seen it, Timmer, nor for that matter any of the other Bryan Forbes films that Barry composed the scores for. Have you seen any of the other ones, and are they worth watching?
  2. Demetris wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I feel like you shouldn't get to complain about modern film music and then go on to enjoy a Transformers sequel score (or something like Winter Soldier). dizzy

i am not complaining about modern film music. I did in the past while it was in the process of changing. Now i have long accepted it's changed for ever, and went the 'fuck this, delete this, ignore him and all of his works, don't want to listen to this, don't care about that' route of things, focusing only on the outcome of composers i know i like and listening to new stuff and new composers either via spotify (and either get hooked on, or ignore completely) or via new movies i watch frequently. Threw the shit out, focusing on the good stuff i love and there's a lot of it.

That's a pretty good attitude to have. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    i know smile saves from a lot of trouble smile

source code - crispy bacon

where is this man btw? why isn't he scoring more? this score (and movie from what i can recall) is brilliant!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2017 edited
    Mogens wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Mogens wrote

I haven't seen it, Timmer, nor for that matter any of the other Bryan Forbes films that Barry composed the scores for. Have you seen any of the other ones, and are they worth watching?

Yes. Séance On A Wet Afternoon is a very creepy film about the kidnap and ransom of a child starring Richard Attenborough. King Rat is a prisoner of War drama also very worth a watch.

The Wrong Box is an oddity with a large cast of British stars and comedians including Peter Sellers, Peter Cook and Dudley Moore, I really don't remember it very well. Deadfall is very slow though it is atmospheric and has a great John Barry score, the film also stars John Barry who conducts a performance of his Romance For Guitar and Orchestra inter-cut with scenes of Michael Caine robbing a safe.

Here's the robbery sequence from Deadfall
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

That is a good attitude to separate the weed from the chaff so to speak.

Getting older (tastes evolving), not enough time for listening, way too much music to choose from, the constant desire to listen to the old good stuff, the aggravation one gets from getting increasingly disappointed with blandness.

I know what I'm talking about. cheesy

And I should clarify that I don't listen to new scores anymore ! I have no need to be honest.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote

And I should clarify that I don't listen to new scores anymore ! I have no need to be honest.

If only we could sticky comments.
  4. NP: Doctor Strange (2016) - Michael Giacchino

I LOVE this score! The blend of choral and orchestral bombast and progressive rock sensitivities is so up my alley!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  5. Kirby Shelstad
    Composer/Producer Demo Reel

Totally obscure promo. It appears to be mostly made up of original demo pieces. What little that might not be, doesn’t appear to be from anything on his IMDb page. It sounds like near everything is made with a computer. I worried, when I got this, it would all suck. But I think I paid $1.00 for it, so it was a gamble that wasn’t pricey.

EDIT:
    I just realized there are is more than a cover printed out, there booklet notes.

"The following 4 montages are excerpted from 'Ernest Scared Stupid'..." "and "Ernest Rides Again'..."

I don't know if he means the first four cues in the Cartoon Montage or the first four montages by types. Vague.

1. Cartoon Montage
    Mediocre mickey moussing cartoon demos for what I assume was ”Tiny Toons”, since two or three times I think I heard it riffing off the theme song. Nothing hear that needs to be heard again, except maybe track six, which has a faux uplifting sound with strings, timpani hits, triangle, and a trumpet that lead to a sendoff finish.

7. Epic Strings Montage
    Some decent material with strings and brass. Perhaps a 1990’s western TV movie (a western score more in the lines of Barry, mind you – but don’t’ think you’re going to hear Barry here).

Track eight is the best, probably one of the best cues on the promo. An instantly recognizable theme, performed on a trumpet with strings backing. Also some woodwinds on there. There’s replay value here. (2:55)

9. Warm Strings Montage
    Track nine is a short cue with strings and a mournful solo cello.

Track ten is also a nice piece with strings and woodwinds, using riffs from Yankee Doodle Dandee. I seriously doubt this was new material, but rather from some film/TV/or documentary project.

Track twelve is also another nice cue with strings (with occasional solo cello passages).

In fact, I think all these cues are from the same project because there is a reoccurring theme. It sounds like a mix of real instruments and synths.

15. Chase Drama Montage (0:11)
    Skippable.

Track sixteen, however, about thirty seconds in, has some very nice slow mournful music with organ, strings and a synth church bell. It leads into track seventeen, which features more mournful solo cello work, the church bell, strings, some synths, and a trumpet kind of buzzing.

About forty seconds into track eighteen there’s some decent chase music with repeating lower octave piano, brass, fast snare.

Thirty-nine seconds into track twenty features some moody strings up and down the key strings, with some light brass and synth male vocals. It kind of falls apart into action serio-mickey moussing action material. But I think part of track twenty-one could be edited onto it to properly end the cue.

22. World Music Montage (3:31)
    Eh, nothing bad but nothing remarkable. If you enjoy this kind of stuff, it’s for you.
    And what kind of stuff is it? Just rhythmic hand percussion pieces, with what sounds like mostly African hand percussion instruments. It’s no Eddie Jobson “Nash Bridges”[/b] work, but it’s done properly.

The notes read:
    Compositions, recording and performance by Kirby

and
    ... excerpt "Open Your Heart" & "Empty Bowl" composed by Suzee Water Benjamin ...

Track twenty-six is probably the best. Kind of a chase piece.

28. Native Lament. (6:52)
    Sounds more like a western TV movie with little budget. Reminds me of that one western episode score from ”Time Trax”, though not as interesting.

29. Freedom (4:44)
    A song with some light percussion backing. It’s not bad.
    Singers: “Freedom!”
    Female soloist: “From fear of certain failure.”

30. Synth/Ambient Montage (2:18)
    Skippable. So are the rest.

35. Rex Mundi Montage / Progressive Rock
    Drum kit and an electric guitar. The horror.

Track thirty-six and thirty-seven: rock songs.

38. Jim PhotoGlo Montage (1:31)
    New age-y rock with a sax’. A complete waste of time.

Jim PhotoGlo is a folk/rock musician, so I assume this is work Shelstad did for songs.

39. New Age Montage (1:47)
    Professionally terrible.

The other tracks are offensive, but it’s just there, except maybe the orchestration ideas in the final track with what sounds like violins and fiddles. But it fades out (an excerpt?).

More Suzee Water Benjamin works.

43. Space Music Montage (5:35)
    I thought I was going to hear science fiction music. It’s processed noise with – not, I’m not kidding – crickets chirping in the background. A solo base flute joins later. I guess you might hear this on the Hearts of Space radio program.

Please Note: Anybody wanting a copy, I can't help. I don't have access to the ability to rip and burn CD-R's any longer.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  6. Spider-Man 2 (2004) - Danny Elfman

Great! One of the finest of Elfman's works.

The Amazing Spider-Man (2012) - James Horner

A strong substantial score. But it doesn't hold up for 78 minutes IMO. The playlist needs trimming. The main theme is pure magic.

Spider-Man Homecoming (2017) - Michael Giacchino.

A worthy addition to the Spider-Man musical cosmos. On par with Elfman. But Horner is my favourite here.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2017
    You're playing all three at the same time? Great ears, man.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  7. Aidabaida wrote
    You're playing all three at the same time? Great ears, man.

Yes.

Smartypants. wink Of course I am listening to Giacchino right now. To Horner I listened to this morning and to Elfman yesterday.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2017
    I think Horner is the best, just for the pure amount of textures he works into that score.
  8. Joseph Vitarelli
    General Reel promo

1 to 5 are from his replacement score to "And Starring Pancho Villa as Himself".

A nice work that while nothing ground breaking or amongst great scores, is worthy of a release itself.

6 to 8 are from "She's So Lovely".

Some slow light jazz. Clichéd ideas but sounds like it's own beast nonetheless.

Each cue is a different style -- the score is all over the map. Track eight is the only take away.

9 and 10 are from "My Architect".

The first cue is a solo cello with some soft strings and brass backing.

The other cue reminds me of what film and television say Italian music should sound like, then it adds a waltz over it and shifts all over the place while still maintaining coherency. Also has some harmonica use.

11 and 12 are from "Nobody's Baby".

Some small delicate guitar and string work. Pleasant enough, though not something that says "Listen to me again soon!".

13 is from "Commandments".

Nice enough, but I can't get a good feel on the score with only one cue. Some strings, a trombone.

14 to 16 are from an HBO TV movie called "Boycott".

Some warm strings, woodwinds, soft piano playing, soft solo trumpet playing. Another track offers some xylophone and alto sax', sparingly. The final cue is kind of lounge-y/jazzy-y.

Nice enough to listen to, but the theme went in one ear and out the other. I don't think I even latched onto it.

17 is from another HBO project, "Excellent Cadavers".

In this instance I am glad it's only one cue. 1990's percussion ideas, processed synth sounds, hell -- even a jaw harp at one point.

18 and 19 are from "Kissing a Fool".

It's a light ... Latin?/jazzy?/something? thing-a-majig with various hand percussion and jazz drum kit ideas with a trumpet, at a rather moderate pace. It's done nicely, though it just goes in one ear and out the other.

The second cue has a sort of Goldsmith noir vibe going on. I could get used to hearing this from time-to-time on a compilation for my car.

20 is from "The Last Seduction"

Vaguely reminds me of some Guaraldi animated Peanuts scoring. Technically I'd say it's two tracks. Vitarelli, you're not good at editing your music apparently.

I think some people would enjoy this, but for me it's just aimless jazz, no matter how professionally done it is.

21 is from "First Time Felon".

Is an emotional piece for strings and woodwinds, with low key emotions on a sleeve (an odd way to phrase it, I know). I'd like to hear more from the score, but this is all we get.

22 to 25 is from "The Beast".

Synth percussion loops, piano, strings, weird synth effects. It's like the music is daring you not to light it on fire, then whip your dick out and piss is out.

Thankfully, the second cue drops all that. It's kind of a vague mish-mesh of Thomas Newman meets other fleeting vague famous composers. It's not bad, it just never reaches the heights of other famous composer it hints at.

The third cue is moody piece with strings, woodwinds, brass, all playing softly while a male soprano sings opera style over it. No thanks.

Goddamnit -- the last cue wants me to piss on it, too. Maybe a shit is required.

26 is from "Let it Be Me".

Some more soft strings and woodwinds work with a moderate pace (seems to be a favorite of Vitarelli). Some Spanish guitar adds some flavor, with a little piano as well.

27 and 28 is from "Pentagon Wars".

I talked about the film and score already HERE.

29 ad 30 are from "The Substance of Fire".

Already forgot it after hearing it.

And finally 31 is from "Under Suspicion".

A soft piece with Spanish guitar. Pleasant.

Overall, except the piss-worthy cues, well done, very professional and full sounding work. I don't know why he works so little. There's been no new score from him, according to his IMDb page, in seven years. He had two films coming up in the last few years, but each film changed composer, director, and both films were lambasted. I guess he got lucky in both instances. Hell, maybe he retired early.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2017
    NP : THE LOST CITY OF Z - Christopher Spelman

Really enjoyable score this, mostly gentle with some gorgeous textures.

Martijn should check out track 2 The Hunt on Spotify, it haz bagpipes wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2017
    Oooooo! Bagpipeses! love
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2017
    Deep Impact - James Horner. Getting back into Horner lately. Even the scores I didn't like as much I'm looking at in a new light with him gone. I used to think Deep Impact was just a slog to get through and the album is probably too long (like most of Horner's from this period) but a lot of this music is really quite beautiful.
  9. Never once thought that Deep Impact was overlong, but then I am a sucker for highly emotional Horner, all the time. The three 10+ minute cues are classic Horner and worth purchasing the album for ! love
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    I miss James Horner. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Speed Racer Giacchino

Not a favourite.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2017
    DreamTheater wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

That is a good attitude to separate the weed from the chaff so to speak.

Getting older (tastes evolving), not enough time for listening, way too much music to choose from, the constant desire to listen to the old good stuff, the aggravation one gets from getting increasingly disappointed with blandness.

I know what I'm talking about. cheesy

But there are several very good new scores...you're missing out, really.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2017
    Martijn wrote
    Oooooo! Bagpipeses! love

nooooooo hate them!
  10. War for the Planet of the Apes Giacchino

This is just brilliant, been getting a lot of listens from me in the last week. Since the end of last year we've had brilliant scores to this, 'Doctor Strange', 'Rogue One' and 'Spider-man', Giacchino has never been better in my opinion!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2017 edited
    Yes, yes, wholly agree. One of the best of the year (apes)

n.p. via spotify: 'supermarine' - hans zimmer (dunkirk)

my God, this not good. More in the vein of the amazing spiderman / batman vs superman ways of pure noise. Might work well in the movie , i'd imagine as it's quite suspenseful. It's just one cue though, eager to hear the rest of the score in the movie when it premieres next week. Huge Nolan fan here. The score doesn't have a good premise though. Shame