• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2017
    jb1234 wrote
    Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets - Alexandre Desplat

I'm liking this a lot. Always enjoy hearing Desplat's detailed orchestrations. The themes are a little more elusive than I'd like but that's not unexpected given early interviews.

the orchestrations and arrangements are rich and colorful, each new listen brings up new details. impressive work has been done in there. and as the score proceeds, hidden and elegant themes are in there too, this score surely has a lot to offer with each new session! movie, judging from the score, sounds like big ol fashioned fantasy with non-stop action, should be very good, we'll see at the cinemas soon!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2017 edited
    Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: VALERIAN etc. (Alexandre Desplat)

What a f....ng noisefest! Percussion galore. Bunch of big chord leaps, but weakly defined melody lines. Mickey-mousing. I did not care for this at all, typical Desplat "emptiness". Perhaps one or two tracks I liked, like "Pearls on Mul", but even they were rather lacklustre.

As a big Besson fan, I'm looking forward to the movie, though.

How much down the score did you proceed before writing this? did you listen to it all?

Yes, every friggin' track! (although I had to skip ahead in a few tracks, because they were so annoying)
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor hating something is one of the best indicators of quality a score can receive. love
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2017 edited
    Indeed, thor hate = usually a good score wink it is

and sometimes, the opposite. like the praise of that horrible pain and gain score by Jablo wink kiss beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The inverse Thor law. It's a thing.
  1. THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD - Manaka Kataoka and some other guy(s?)

Rarely have a found a score as annoying as I'm found this. So much of it was straight-up goofy. A lot of the rest of it sounded badly dated (like a cheesy 80s synthy love ballad). On the whole I only found a couple tracks worth coming back to (the last track is the best, I'd say). Most of them I skipped before they were done.
  2. THE LAST AIRBENDER - James Newton Howard

It's been too long since I played this. It's even better than I remembered. "Flow Like Water" has to be one of the greatest pieces of music JNH has ever composed, and one of the best compositions of the last decade. What's almost as great as this track is how JNH gives us glimpses of each of the major melodies in it all throughout the score, then finally unleashing all of them together in one huge emotional payoff. I'm really glad Howard was able to be inspired to compose this for such an awful film!
  3. Based on Thor's track record it's likely he did listen to the whole thing.

Meanwhile: Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (expanded).
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2017
    christopher wrote
    THE LAST AIRBENDER - James Newton Howard

I have good hopes that this will be played live on his concert tour.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2017 edited
    I also didn't care for THE LAST AIRBENDER when I saw it (like most other people), but after having read my colleague Dag Sødtholt's detailed analysis of the movie (in English) -- and most other Shyamalan movies, even the hated ones -- I'm ready to re-watch and perhaps re-appraise it:

Part 1: http://montagesmagazine.com/2017/06/the … -elements/
    Part 2: http://montagesmagazine.com/2017/06/the … ised-form/

Score is pretty good.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    The inverse Thor law. It's a thing.

haha I love this! Should be maintitles' tagline! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    I also didn't care for THE LAST AIRBENDER when I saw it (like most other people), but after having read my colleague Dag Sødtholt's detailed analysis of the movie (in English) -- and most other Shyamalan movies, even the hated ones -- I'm ready to re-watch and perhaps re-appraise it:

Score is pretty good.

movie was laughable, score was beautiful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE SECRET OF NIMH (Jerry Goldsmith)

I've had this forever, but never really been able to get into it. It just stays there, "floating" with pretty textures and/or rhytmical figures, but never really going anywhere, IMO (except the main theme, which is OK). But I keep giving it another chance.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Thor wrote

Score is pretty good.

I started to read that first article, but when I saw how extensive it was I realized I'm going to have to tackle it when I have more time. I liked some of the observations he made about visual patterns in the film. The visuals of the film are a plus. That last scene (the "flow like water" scene) is pretty great visually, and musically. As is the mythology and story line, for which we have the original cartoon to thank (the cartoon is really quite excellent).

As for the rest of the film, dialogue is awful, as are most of the performances. I don't know if this movie is evidence that Shyamalan forgot how to direct children or if it's evidence that he had just gotten lucky with the child actors cast in his previous films. These kids can't act. Or maybe it's just that no kid could possibly deliver these lines in a credible way. Either way, the reason that last scene is so much better than the rest of the film is that it's mostly dialogue free.

That's just my biggest complaint with the film. There are lots of others (what Shyamalan did with Sokka's character, and how they mispronounced so many things that were said differently in the animated series, just to name a couple).
  5. DUNKIRK - Hans Zimmer & Co.

We now know why "Supermarine" was the track they promoted early on. Believe it or not, it's the most interesting cue in the score. Well, so far any way. I'm not done yet, but what a slog. It's probably great in the film, but on its own I find very little to enjoy here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    christopher wrote
    As for the rest of the film, dialogue is awful, as are most of the performances.

Yeah, and he's pretty open about that early on in the article. For people like him and me, however -- who think form is the most important thing in a film -- there's apparently much to discover. I only saw the movie once, several years ago, but this 2-part article has inspired me to rewatch it soon. Same goes for Dag's other articles about the "much-hated" middle films of Shyamalan.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    So far it has been an absolute shit year concerning music.

Reading this entire thread after almost half a year away and I just feel like saying, I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Not really. There have been some good scores. Not as good as last year, but we're still only halfway through.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Rambo 2 Jerry Goldsmith

I've been listening to a lot of Giacchino recently; I'm completely addicted to his music. I especially love his action music. But this is a nice reminder of what the best sounds like. Second only to Total Recall (arguably).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    He, he...don't bother, Steven. I know you just say such things in an effort to rile me up. It's pretty transparent. But yeah -- RAMBO 2 is a pretty good score.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    uhm

I can honestly say I wasn't even thinking of you. Perhaps I just really like Giacchino?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I don't know, it was just something about the way you phrased it that seemed 'confrontational' pr. our recent discussions (you know I hate Giacchino, and his action music in particular). But hey; whatever gets your mojo working.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. I do think that you essentially are traumatized by any mention of Giacchino (or Desplat's) very name right now. Almost a Pavlovian response.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  8. Hans Zimmer - Black Hawk Down

One score that will be completely overlooked in the whole flame war Dunkirk is gonna get.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I do think that you essentially are traumatized by any mention of Giacchino (or Desplat's) very name right now. Almost a Pavlovian response.

You could be right. My dislike of MG has been present for decades, but his endless adoration among fans in recent years is simply fuel to fire, so I now hate him (or rather his music) more than I've ever had. A pretty natural reaction, I would assume.

Desplat is easier to deal with.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - Black Hawk Down

One score that will be completely overlooked in the whole flame war Dunkirk is gonna get.

I'm not sure what you mean or why BHD has much to do with Dunkirk?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. It's an earlier attempt by Hans to explore war as experienced by soldiers on the ground. The same methodology, a wholly different musical shebang, due to many factors from the director to the setting and many other things. But as Nolan sold the film as "VR without headset" (and this, I think, is a more important information than anything related to sampling and programming the stopwatch), it's about trying to explore the experience itself.

Black Hawk Down is an earlier precedent to that. To an extent, you could say the same about The Thin Red Line, which, as I explored in my article, concerns itself with fear. But the relentless approach to battle was first explored in Black Hawk Down.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    VALERIAN - Alexandre Desplat

Hmm. This started out very promising, with Pearls on Mull being a strong opening, but halfway though and I'm losing my attention. It's certainly got its highlights sprinkled throughout (Le Souper du Roi, Pearl's World, The City of 1000 Planets), but while this should be a thematic feast, it's pretty weak in the cohesive melody department. Sure, he tries here and there, but nothing that I'm looking forward to hearing return further on. It's mostly orchestral rambling with better than average color in the orchestration, but after all its praises I was hoping for more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    "Orchestral rambling"....that sums it up alright. But yeah, as I mentioned earlier, "Pearls on Mull" is a promising track.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Thor wrote
    "Orchestral rambling"....that sums it up alright. But yeah, as I mentioned earlier, "Pearls on Mull" is a promising track.

To be fair, I wouldn't call it a "noise fest" either. After your comment I expected a balls to walls action extravaganza, but it's actually fairly well balanced in its action versus quieter moments. It's just that it's... not memorable. It just now ended, and I needed to check my iPhone if that was indeed it. No big thematic statement or anything (of which theme did it have to be, anyway?), it just... ended.