• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Aidabaida wrote
    I feel like Junkie XL is the Ann Coulter of the Soundtrack World. Mostly despised, but with that one fan popping up every once and a while in vociferous defense.

Yup, here is the other one! tongue Top electronic film scoring, that sounds like a mixture of Vangelis and Brad Fiedel. Incidentally I am also reminded of another Stephen King related score: The Stand by W.G. Snuffy Walden.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2017 edited
    Vangelis? play that disc to vangelis and ask him his opinion afterwards wink Maybe vangelis' washing machine sounds like that, but not Vangelis himself wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. O yes, it does. Sure, the equipment now is some Eurorack stuff and Native Instruments rather than the Yamaha CS80 of yesteryear. But there are some sonic textures here, that clearly relate to Blade Runner and even 1492. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2017 edited
    Demetris wrote
    Vangelis? play that disc to vangelis and ask him his opinion afterwards wink Maybe vangelis' washing machine sounds like that, but not Vangelis himself wink

biggrin

I'm no expert, but I feel that when Vangelis was simplistic, he was purposefully simplistic; it was a creative choice, and carefully controlled. Whereas Junkie XL's simplistic constructs are pumped up with layers on layers of sound that doesn't really make it more complex as much as it just makes it thick and dense. When I listen to Mad Max, I always feel there's a really simple main idea down at the bottom of the track, but a massive amount of drumming, chopping, and blaring has covered it in a big pile of orchestral/synth goop.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2017
    Captain Future wrote
    O yes, it does. Sure, the equipment now is some Eurorack stuff and Native Instruments rather than the Yamaha CS80 of yesteryear. But there are some sonic textures here, that clearly relate to Blade Runner and even 1492. smile

yes, vangelis buried under the noise wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2017
    Aidabaida wrote
    Demetris wrote

biggrin

I'm no expert, but I feel that when Vangelis was simplistic, he was purposefully simplistic; it was a creative choice, and carefully controlled. Whereas Junkie XL's simplistic constructs are pumped up with layers on layers of sound that doesn't really make it more complex as much as it just makes it thick and dense. When I listen to Mad Max, I always feel there's a really simple main idea down at the bottom of the track, but a massive amount of drumming, chopping, and blaring has covered it in a big pile of orchestral/synth goop.

smile yes, noise.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2017
    Demetris wrote
    Maybe vangelis' washing machine sounds like that, but not Vangelis himself wink

This is one of my favourite ever comments on this forum.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ELLIOT GOLDENTHAL - titus

What a massive, truly epic score. My oh my i remember the shame and endless discussions with the blatant ripoff from Tyler Bates on 300. The whole world buzzed with that thing then, and the trial. Really whatever happened to that trial? anyway, thankfully it's all long forgotten, i think like the same with Tyler's career.
  3. Tyler Bates is forgotten? I thing his music for the Guardians of the Galaxy films was received rather well.

Goldenthal's Titus: Outstanding score!

Volker
  4. You don't find much on the net concerning Bate's education. Did he study composition or does he fully rely on an orchestrator to put his ideas into shape?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2017 edited
    One look at his IMDB tells you Tyles Bates' career flourishes more than ever. He's doing the Guardians of the Galaxy films, Atomic Blonde, John Wick films and several tv-series.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    ... it's all long forgotten, i think like the same with Tyler's career.

You sound like Trump. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2017 edited
    pfff pffff pf
  5. The Wild Wild West CD 2: If I was a drinking man and I saw John Burlingame in a bar I would pay for his drinks for a year just for producing this album. Richard Shores' "Mighty Titan" wormed into my head since I watched seasons 2 and 3 in the '80s in Barbados (I never saw the full run until I came back to England and got the DVDs for my birthday a while back).
  6. Alexandre Desplat - Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

Very good, though I don't think it's my favorite score this year. At least yet, as I'm seeing the movie tomorrow before actually talking about it during a radio recording.

My favorite score would be Giacchino's War for the Planet of the Apes.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Mine too. I do like Valerian a great deal but it's not quite in the same league as The Golden Compass, I don't think.
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    Southall wrote
    Mine too. I do like Valerian a great deal but it's not quite in the same league as The Golden Compass, I don't think.

It's less thematically dense, at any rate. Are you going to write a review for it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I will. I'm taking my time with it because there's so much going on in it.

I'm also taking my time with Dark Tower, because I can't face listening to it.

Firewall Desplat

Been many years since I played this one. Hugely entertaining.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Alexandre Desplat - Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

Very good, though I don't think it's my favorite score this year. At least yet, as I'm seeing the movie tomorrow before actually talking about it during a radio recording.

Disliked both of them. Meanwhile, THE DARK TOWER just continues to grow in appreciation.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2017
    Thor wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Alexandre Desplat - Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

Disliked both of them. Meanwhile, THE DARK TOWER just continues to grow in appreciation.

Disliking Desplat and loving the dark tower, man gotta love Thor smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2017
    n.p.ELLIOT GOLDENTHAL - in dreams

I remember how stunned i was as a teen watching this weird dark film but mostly listening to this mindblowing score. Who is this guy i thought to myself? first time i've came in contact with Goldenthal, then came final fantasy the spirits within i was instantly hooked for life since.
  7. Demetris wrote
    n.p.ELLIOT GOLDENTHAL - in dreams

I remember how stunned i was as a teen watching this weird dark film but mostly listening to this mindblowing score. Who is this guy i thought to myself? first time i've came in contact with Goldenthal, then came final fantasy the spirits within i was instantly hooked for life since.

For me it was Alien 3 which started my fan-hood but In Dreams is a strong score as well.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  8. ROMEO & JULIET - Craig Armstrong

I truly believe that 'Balcony Scene' is one of the most gorgeous cues ever written for film. love
    I could do without all the snippets of dialogue which brings down the album for me.
    But it's quite an eclectic musical journey and the romantic soul in me really likes this Luhrman adaptation.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  9. Steven wrote
    Rugby World Cup Christopher Gordon

One description has always stuck in mind by a certain Antipodean who used to frequent this forum: It's as if John Williams scored Conan. (It's not really film music, but it might as well be.)

Very nice.

For those curious:
    http://christophergordon.net/RugbyWorldCup.html
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  10. THE FORCE AWAKENS - John Williams

Better than the last time I listened. cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2017 edited
    KOYAANISQATSI - Philip Glass

Fairly simple work, with its basic chord progressions, simple motifs, synthesizer pads as harmonic backing and pounding rhythmic section. It's basically techno.

tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    There would be no techno without minimalists!
    I am extremely serious.
  11. smile cheesy biggrin applause bounce
  12. 14 minutes of The Grid !! It might as well have been double that. dizzy

I love Koyaanisqatsi. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    I had that soundtrack for a while. Loved it, but none of my friends or family let me play it when they were nearby, because they couldn't stand the repetition.

Also, that emoticon is perfect for The Grid dizzy
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.