• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. PawelStroinski wrote
    Yesterday I had a listen to:

Junkie XL - The Dark Tower

Not as bad as many people claim, but that doesn't mean it's good. The lyrical/more emotional music has a lot of potential, but then you have the main theme which sounds like a bad John Powell parody done on... not such a great synthesizer.

I would assume Holkenborg got exactly the sound that he intended it to be, certainly he didn't use sub standard gear. To your ears it may sound cheap, of course. To me it does not sound like a Bontempi preset.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. The harsh mix is definitely a problem I have with the score. But there is some moments when he definitely attempts at doing something, but it does feel like stopping short of getting right where he aimed for whatever reason that would be.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. Captain Future wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Not as bad as many people claim, but that doesn't mean it's good. The lyrical/more emotional music has a lot of potential, but then you have the main theme which sounds like a bad John Powell parody done on... not such a great synthesizer.

I would assume Holkenborg got exactly the sound that he intended it to be, certainly he didn't use sub standard gear. To your ears it may sound cheap, of course. To me it does not sound like a Bontempi preset.

Volker

This just makes it so much worse for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2017
    It's a bit like the explanation the group Imagine Dragons gave for the ridiculous distortion on some of their songs: that it was a conscious choice because they wanted to make their songs sound like your amplifier was on fire.

Yeah. Real gritty and cool philosophy, guys.
    But at the end of the day it only just sounds like a really, really, really shitty production.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, I just came back from the press screening of the movie. Fairly middle-of-the-road. Interestingly, I like JXL's score more on album than in the film, where it felt more bland (barring some exceptions).
    I am extremely serious.
  4. I haven't seen the film of course, but I could imagine the music works better as an electronica album that as a score in its native context.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    I haven't seen the film of course, but I could imagine the music works better as an electronica album that as a score in its native context.

Volker

Well, I wouldn't call this an electronica album (his previous score for DISTANCE BETWEEN DREAMS would qualify for that, one of the best scores of 2016), but there's something about the ebb and flow that works better on album than in the film.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Martijn wrote
    It's a bit like the explanation the group Imagine Dragons gave for the ridiculous distortion on some of their songs: that it was a conscious choice because they wanted to make their songs sound like your amplifier was on fire.

But at the end of the day it only just sounds like a really, really, really shitty production.

Very apt comparison.
  6. And it's weird as Junkie's score would use a less gritty production, especially due to the ethereal moments that Thor likes so much and, yes, they are good. It's just whatever attempts at action sounds juvenile. Especially compared to Mad Max.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2017 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    And it's weird as Junkie's score would use a less gritty production, especially due to the ethereal moments that Thor likes so much and, yes, they are good. It's just whatever attempts at action sounds juvenile. Especially compared to Mad Max.

Oh, I agree there. MAD MAX is in a whole other league, but then again the film was so much better and so much more visionary (and CONSISTENT in the aesthetic it was going for), it provided JXL a wonderful palette to work from.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: 2:22 (Lisa Gerrard & James Orr)

One of the year's highlights for me, especially when I managed to boil it down from an insane 90-minute program to 48 quality minutes. Maybe I should be a record producer after all? wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    MALEFICENT - JNH

No way that this will ever get a 'right up there with the best ever composed' rating from me. I even have a hard time giving it four stars, at times I just want to decrease it by half a star. It has some lovely cues, some ballsy cues, but there is way too much filler (especially the second half) to keep me interested.

Maybe most people were just happy that this wasn't another bland composition by the man in a long time that they have rated it so highly. I just don't understand why it's being regarded as a masterpiece. confused

I do like the Lana Del Rey song, which is a wonderful way to end the album.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's by no means a masterpiece, and you're right that it's rather sloggish in parts, but the highlights are brilliant! I think it would have benefitted from a more succinct presentation.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. I agree, it's a good score, very good at times but the frequency with which it's put up there with JNH's very best is a bit alarming.
  8. I trimmed it down to around 50 minutes (song included) and it's still too cumbersome to get through.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Shadow Conspiracy Bruce Broughton

I probably haven't listened to this very 90s action score since the 90s, so I'd forgotten how good it is. The main title is just ridiculously good, and the rest (while not in the same style as the main title at all) is tremendously entertaining. My appreciation for Broughton was ironically reduced by some of the more humdrum thing that got very long releases by Intrada over the last decade, but when I go back to the stuff I had before the limited edition craze began, I remember why I liked him so much at the time. His best stuff is so good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Honey, I Blew Up the Kid Bruce Broughton

Another good one. The main theme is delightfully infectious.
  9. J. Peter Robinson's Charmed collection.
  10. NP: Robin Hood (1973) - George Burns; Roger Miller
    The Disney Legacy Collection

This is one of those releases that come out of the blue totally unexpected. I am a huge fan of the film, as indeed the Wolfgang Reitherman period of films is my Disney. The music is just awesome. Great package and liner notes as we have come to expect from this collection. For me this might well prove to be the release of the year, one I would never have thought possible.

knight Volker
  11. GREMLINS 2 - Jerry Goldsmith

Can't get enough of this brilliant score, with the expansion bringing twice the fun and charm of the original release. Jerry was inspired to the max while composing this. And if that wasn't an amazing feat in itself, he wrote another masterpiece that same year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2017
    The Lego Batman Movie

I wonder if I would enjoy this more had I enjoyed the movie more...
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2017
    Was listening to
    Tombstone Brucey B

Very, very good - dynamic action mixed with rousing wide-open-spaces, classic western material - one of his best
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Then listened to
    Young Sherlock Holmes Brucey Bonus

The album's too long so I never listened to it, but distilling it down to as close as you can get to the original album (and you can't get all the way) gives a wonderful listening experience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Whazzap with the Broughton walkthrough?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I went for years without listening to anything by him and a week or so back just suddenly got the desire. Working my way through my old favourites now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I see. I haven't played much from him in years either, except for the brilliant THE RESCUERS DOWN UNDER, which I acquired before doing my Disney podcast a few months ago.

It's a good idea, as a warmup to his theme for ORVILLE.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2017 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote

Not as bad as many people claim, but that doesn't mean it's good. The lyrical/more emotional music has a lot of potential, but then you have the main theme which sounds like a bad John Powell parody done on... not such a great synthesizer. I assume that this probably is a feeble attempt by Holkenborg to actually write something in the Western idiom.

And as much as pretty the low-key dramatic themes are, there is the thing that shows how lackluster the man's technique is. A little piece of advice. If you are an EDM creator getting into serious film scoring, that's fine, but, by God, don't you ever try to be ANY close to Elliot Goldenthal's action writing. The action music is sometimes just ridiculous early on the album.

the whole album reveals his lack of proper (or broader if you prefer) compositional skills overall and why he is up there in the industry in the first place (daddy zimmer)
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    I don't think there's any Goldenthal attempts in it, that I can hear, anyway. Rather, he's brilliant at using the kind of aggressive writing that harkens more to rock than symphonic music (most evident in the brilliant MAD MAX, but also in this). None of it is terribly complex, but all of it has this forward momentum and visceral "rawness" that I don't often find in action scores by more traditional composers these days.

But it's the big Melancholy of the subtler tracks that really sold me on this. He's very good at that kind of unadulterated, melodic sound, like with BRIMSTONE earlier this year.

brilliant and complex? man you even outdid me when i was in my 'everything is a rare beauty' phase wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote

well noise is the new melody so, yeah wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    NP: 2:22 (Lisa Gerrard & James Orr)

One of the year's highlights for me, especially when I managed to boil it down from an insane 90-minute program to 48 quality minutes. Maybe I should be a record producer after all? wink

funny case with me, i used to be big fan of lisa gerrard when gladiator came out and researched her older solo material. now i can't stand here sub-standard-all-the-same wailing at all.