• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Baby's Day Out (the Intrada one, natch).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2017
    Demetris wrote
    brilliant and complex? man you even outdid me when i was in my 'everything is a rare beauty' phase wink

Brilliant, yes (at times). Complex? No.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: 2:22 (Lisa Gerrard & James Orr)

One of the year's highlights for me, especially when I managed to boil it down from an insane 90-minute program to 48 quality minutes. Maybe I should be a record producer after all? wink

funny case with me, i used to be big fan of lisa gerrard when gladiator came out and researched her older solo material. now i can't stand here sub-standard-all-the-same wailing at all.

There is very little 'wailling' in this score. In fact, the vocals are fairly limited. It's just a gorgeous electronica score that shines once you've boiled it down to some 50 minutes.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote
    Whazzap with the Broughton walkthrough?

perhaps it's got more to do about the recent output, and that sometimes it's so good to return to the good old days of music. Where even the so called weaker scores turn out to be better than most of today's output wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. Which Glorieux brother wrote that?
  4. Doesn't matter in this case. Both agree with that sentiment.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2017 edited
    Darren Korb - Pyre

Perfect background music while working.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: VICEROY'S HOUSE (A.R. Rahman)

Beautiful. One of my favs this year.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Matthew Margeson - Eddie the Eagle

Because if you're making a film about an infamous ski jumper there's nothing better than pulling out a Days of Thunder. Unabashed 1980s homage with a lot of heart, this score. And a great theme to boot!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2017 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Matthew Margeson - Eddie the Eagle

Because if you're making a film about an infamous ski jumper there's nothing better than pulling out a Days of Thunder. Unabashed 1980s homage with a lot of heart, this score. And a great theme to boot!

The film was absolutely dreadful (the least of which was everything they got wrong about the sport itself), but the score was one of the VERY best last year. Absolutely brilliant pastiche! A shame it had to be associated with such a stupid movie.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. It did get the sport wrong (though rarely the dangers of ski jumping are given prominence in ANY discussion on the sport unless you pull off a Thomas Morgenstern), but I found the movie very cute in a, well, Cool Runnings kind of way. At least somebody discussed the sport in mainstream cinema.

And it REALLY had heart.
  7. PawelStroinski wrote
    Doesn't matter in this case. Both agree with that sentiment.

Shows we're not brothers from other mothers ! biggrin
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  8. Well, you're not a reviewer. If a reviewer makes that particular claim then the bias is strong with this one.
  9. NP: Ghostbusters (2016) - Theodore Shapiro

Very solid and entertaining. Still haven't seen the film.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Ghostbusters (2016) - Theodore Shapiro

Volker

I'd keep it that way.
  10. NP: Waterworld (1995) - James Newton Howard

This is rock solid action and adventure scoring with some beautiful melodic highlights. Still I can't muster the enthusiasm some fellows across the boards hold for this score, including our Music Prince of Norway.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  11. PawelStroinski wrote
    Well, you're not a reviewer. If a reviewer makes that particular claim then the bias is strong with this one.

oh, so you think I judge a score from before I heard it? Every score gets a fair chance with me. From the smallest little unknown score to the biggest blockbuster. I can agree with the fact few composers thrill me nowadays, and that I get my satisfaction from older scores.

I however have heard over 400 scores per year (meaning titles most haven't even heard about), and I can honestly say, most of the old ones (even the ones we called average back then) still have much more to offer than those.

I'm not biased, I hear what I hear. Times have changed. But a movie is still a movie. It still has a story to tell. Music still needs to tell its story through emotion, themes, melodies or ideas. And I know those ideas are sometimes nowhere to be found.

So don't make an assumption thinking you know me, because you don't
  12. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Which Glorieux brother wrote that?

the one who still listens to today's music wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Waterworld (1995) - James Newton Howard

This is rock solid action and adventure scoring with some beautiful melodic highlights. Still I can't muster the enthusiasm some fellows across the boards hold for this score, including our Music Prince of Norway.

smile Volker

I'm with you. It has some great highlights and is a very fine score but it isn't one I often reach for when I want a JNH fix.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Guess who I'm listening to.

Rescuers Down Under

Good fun and a very nice theme.

O Pioneers

A bit monothematic for my taste but it's a very good, sweeping, Lonesome Dove-type theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2017 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

I'm not biased, I hear what I hear. Times have changed. But a movie is still a movie. It still has a story to tell. Music still needs to tell its story through emotion, themes, melodies or ideas. And I know those ideas are sometimes nowhere to be found.

true. a lot of junk these days. but i choose to laugh at those, don't let them get to me. trash and focus on the few good smile thank God for Giacchino and Desplat. And junkie xl. biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2017
    Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Waterworld (1995) - James Newton Howard

smile Volker

I'm with you. It has some great highlights and is a very fine score but it isn't one I often reach for when I want a JNH fix.

Don't like it at all. To me the greatest JNH is shyamalan. all of his scores. plus king kong, devil's advocate, snow falling on cedars smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Ghostbusters (2016) - Theodore Shapiro

Volker

I'd keep it that way.

biggrin steven is right...you don't want to watch it believe me. i (sort of) watched with my wife because she wanted to and believe me, she was the one cursing and shutting it off halfway first before i said anything biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Well, you're not a reviewer. If a reviewer makes that particular claim then the bias is strong with this one.

You can't really blame them with DUNKIRK (the score) being one of the most major films this year and having a score like that wink still some good stuff however, thank God for Giacchino. But 2017 is weak so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE BFG (John Williams)

Whimsy and fluttering flutes galore! And what the hell is Americana doing in such a quintessentially British story? Missed opportunity for a composer who has so often nailed the gorgeous, pastoral "English sound".
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    n.p. Fernando Velazquez- Lope

Love, love this man. When he's not going into dark bassy drones that get him all tired and completely uninspired, just to pay the bills like all the rest, he can create some truly wonderful themes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MORIBITO: GUARDIAN OF THE SPIRIT (Naoki Sato)

The album is a bit too long at 80 minutes, but there is rarely a track that doesn't deliver. It's a shame it doesn't have a commercial release (it was a 2016 Japanese TV show).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    what parts of the BFG struck you as "Americana" Thor?
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    BTW @EdmundMeinerts: Is the Tracksounds.com site dead? I used to enjoy the reviews there (including yours) but they haven't posted there for years...
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Aidabaida wrote
    what parts of the BFG struck you as "Americana" Thor?

The main theme. When I first heard it in Cannes, during the red carpet session outside the Palais, I thought it was something from LINCOLN that I had forgotten.
    I am extremely serious.