• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2017
    Aidabaida wrote
    The Little Prince
    I've seen very little discussion in any board about Zimmer/Harvey's score for "The Little Prince". It's legitimately lovely, especially, the gorgeous, "Equation" cue.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azANnKFaceY

Love the organic nature of the score. The melodies, the beautiful themes. The movie was gorgeous too, have you seen it?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    David OC wrote
    Ali's Wedding - Nigel Westlake

A new score from one of our finest composers down here is something to treasure. And his latest is just about what you'd expect - a glorious work filled with thematic beauty, heart and soul, and rare compositional talent. It's just magnificent.

bolly? like Thomas newman's bolly meets the west sound with the marigold hotel scores? how is Is it like? thanks
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Theory of Everything (2014) - Jóhann Jóhannsson

Beautiful music!

I played that yesterday. Wonderful score, albeit surprisingly conventional for Jóhannsson.

He's so talented. And his music Is so heartfelt. But no, he cannot composer for Blade Runner. Let's bring Zimmer in wink
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    David OC wrote

A new score from one of our finest composers down here is something to treasure. And his latest is just about what you'd expect - a glorious work filled with thematic beauty, heart and soul, and rare compositional talent. It's just magnificent.

I've loved everything I've heard of Westlake's, which isn't much. Talk about an underemployed composer. Will be on the lookout for this one for sure, thanks for the tip.

He sure is Edmund. It's a shame that - for a variety of reasons - he hasn't composed more for film. But anything he writes is worth listening to.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    christopher wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    David OC wrote

I've loved everything I've heard of Westlake's, which isn't much. Talk about an underemployed composer. Will be on the lookout for this one for sure, thanks for the tip.

I just finished my first listen to this. Great stuff. Westlake is so talented, and his music is so classy. There's a lot of plucked string instruments in this score (harp, guitar, and especially minaret). I loved the all-too-brief burst of gloriousness at the end of the first track. I really liked "In Loving Memory," which is just one of the loveliest acoustic guitar-based cues I've heard in a long time. "Train Station Wedding" was another highlight for me. It was just delightful! As was so much of this score. It's one of the best of the year so far.

Great to hear you love it as well Christopher. He really is a class act and I'm looking forward to hearing this a few more times.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Demetris wrote
    David OC wrote

bolly? like Thomas newman's bolly meets the west sound with the marigold hotel scores? how is Is it like? thanks

No it's not like that Demetris (thankfully!). The characters are Lebanese-Australians so there are small 'ethnic' embellishments in some cues but mostly it's a traditional kind of orchestral sound that flows brilliantly and organically from one cue to the next.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Robotjox - Frederic Talgorn

It really is one of his best, a massive brassy sound with great action and a strong main theme that strangely wavers on a borderline between being addictive and immensely annoying the more I hear it.
  1. Thomas Newman - Road to Perdition

Revisiting an old friend really... after revisiting the beautiful, beautiful film.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Limehouse Golem - Johan Söderqvist

What a big dose of Howard Shore's Seven can be heard in this one. And a reminder of Shore's music for The Hobbit films in "Misery Junction" for good measure.

didn't like it at all. very unmelodic , drony, bassy, passable and without identity. Very much unlike the rest of his body of work.

Johan sent me this album yesterday. I'll play it now, but the references to Shore & Cronenberg do not bode well, as I don't care for that particular sound on album.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. NP: The Thin Red Line (1998) - Hans Zimmer

Marvellous. Spellbinding.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE LIMEHOUSE GOLEM (Johan Söderqvist)

Damn, you were all right. This is underwhelming. sad
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2017 edited
    NP: LEGENDS OF CHIMA (Anthony Lledo)

I hung out with Anthony in Cannes earlier this year (I had no idea he was Danish!). Cool guy who used to work with and for Harry Gregson-Williams. Love this straightforward, but extrovert and fun score for the animated series (the sequel album was fine, but not as good). Hoping to see more of this guy in the future.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE DISAPPEARANCE OF ELEANOR RIGBY (Son Lux)

One of the 10 best scores of 2014. Lofty, warm textures.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. NP: Hellraiser - Christopher Young

Such a distinctive score. And it has never sounded better in this new 30th Anniversary Edition release. I'd read that people couldn't really hear much difference between this version and the original release. But I certainly can hear a significant improvement.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2017
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE DISAPPEARANCE OF ELEANOR RIGBY (Son Lux)

One of the 10 best scores of 2014. Lofty, warm textures.

It's a very pleasant listen.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Out of the Furnace - Dickon Hinchliffe

One of his very best. The type of dark, brooding textures I really love when in a certain mood.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Hellraiser - Christopher Young

Such a distinctive score. And it has never sounded better in this new 30th Anniversary Edition release. I'd read that people couldn't really hear much difference between this version and the original release. But I certainly can hear a significant improvement.

Really? It's been a while since I've head such a distinctive improvement in sound quality! And without it to sound TOO clear or artificially "cleaned up", or betraying the sound, as happens a lot. For me it's one of the best remasterings in years!
  4. ...I think Alan was agreeing with you! tongue
  5. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    ...I think Alan was agreeing with you! tongue

I think Bob was too! I assumed that he was remarking on the people who don't seem to hear a difference.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    David OC wrote
    Demetris wrote
    David OC wrote

No it's not like that Demetris (thankfully!). The characters are Lebanese-Australians so there are small 'ethnic' embellishments in some cues but mostly it's a traditional kind of orchestral sound that flows brilliantly and organically from one cue to the next.

thank you! Will look it up!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE LIMEHOUSE GOLEM (Johan Söderqvist)

Damn, you were all right. This is underwhelming. sad

Disappointing to hear such stuff from him, or Jusid whose output has also declined heavily during the last three years or so , producing sub-par generic and bland scores without identity, just to get the checks paid i feel. The latest Rombi score was also outrightly awful, surprisingly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    It might be just one score Demetris. No apocalypse yet. dizzy
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well yes, for Rombi and Soderqvist is one score for now. But for people like Jusid and Velazquez, it's been going on for a couple of years now + some little more smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2017 edited
    n.p. George Fenton- In love and War

Gorgeously romantic, beautiful orchestral score with a Mediterranean flair. At times, Delerue-ian and sweeping.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Speaking of Jusid...

NP: TERESA (Federico Jusid)

Spectacular score in every way, but for such a spiritual piece, I'm always surprised when "Journey to Toledo" comes on -- it's like a leftover from an 80s fantasy epic! :D
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Speaking of Jusid...

NP: TERESA (Federico Jusid)

Spectacular score in every way, but for such a spiritual piece, I'm always surprised when "Journey to Toledo" comes on -- it's like a leftover from an 80s fantasy epic! :D

That's beautiful. In much contrast to this 'modern' thriller scores of late, like Kidnap and others.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yes, I agree, but have you heard NERUDA, Demetris? I saw the film last year in Cannes, and it had its worldwide premiere this year. It's one of my favourite films this year (and arguably my favourite film by Pablo Larrain). The score is very "artsy" and modernistic -- not at all like the more lush previous scores -- but at least it's not an RC clone. So if allowed, he can still "do his thing".
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2017 edited
    Yes, absolutely loved it. That's what i get from him. Nobody is doubting his abilities. It's the state of the industry that wants brilliant composers to write shitty little cheap rc clones that i am detesting. Rombi ffs wink And Velazquez. When they let them, as you very much right said so, they can create wonders anyday.
  6. Bregt wrote
    It might be just one score Demetris. No apocalypse yet. dizzy

Have you not talked with Demetris much?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    He has, this is why he knows me wink Friggin rc !