• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. lol savage.

Edit: shit.
  2. NP: Mancini's Greatest Hits - Erich Kunzel & The Cincinnati Pops

Fantastic. One of two CDs I obtained due to Erik's recent program, the other one being The Big Picture.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2017
    Aidabaida and Demetris. Is the Shift Button broken on your keyboards?????

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    David OC wrote
    Rebel in the Rye - Bear McCreary

The main theme might be the best thing he's ever composed. It's utterly brilliant and the opening track is one to replay again and again.
    The jazzy cues do little for me but the wonderful orchestral stuff accounts for what feels like his most mature dramatic score to date.

Bernstein meets Horner. It's really is gorgeous. One of McCreary's strongest dramatic efforts and one of my favourite scores of the year! McCreary is having another stand out year!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Mancini's Greatest Hits - Erich Kunzel & The Cincinnati Pops

Fantastic. One of two CDs I obtained due to Erik's recent program, the other one being The Big Picture.

Volker

Booya! Thanks for listening and it's an honour to help influence your purchasing decisions. The show still has merit!

For those that haven't listened then please check out my latest program dedicated to the great Erich Kunzel. It might just be the most entertaining show I've done this year!

http://www.cinematicsound.net/a-tribute … 1935-2009/

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Erik Woods wrote
    Aidabaida and Demetris. Is the Shift Button broken on your keyboards?????

-Erik-

i find that no caps makes you seem less definitive, more approachable, more friendly
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    i think we should all write in small font as well. it's what the kids do, you know.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FUCK YOU THOR! GO BIG (AND RED AND ITALICS) OR GO HOME!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    He, he....

Back on topic: Back in the 90s, Erik and I had far more overlapping taste than we do today, so we were both weaned on the Kunzel albums. The SUPERFANTASTIC EPIC FANTASY MAYHEM album (or whatever it was called wink) was certainly a cornerstone of my formative film music years. I copied it onto cassette from a friend's CD, and almost wore it out. But the sound effects annoyed me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: REGARDING HENRY (Hans Zimmer)

I could listen to 90s Zimmer forever, including his moody drama scores like this.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thor wrote
    He, he....

Back on topic: Back in the 90s, Erik and I had far more overlapping taste than we do today, so we were both weaned on the Kunzel albums. The SUPERFANTASTIC EPIC FANTASY MAYHEM album (or whatever it was called wink) was certainly a cornerstone of my formative film music years. I copied it onto cassette from a friend's CD, and almost wore it out. But the sound effects annoyed me.

Indeed. I can do without these sound effects, too. Fortunately, in post-analogue times that isn't a problem any more. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: KINGDOM OF HEAVEN (Harry Gregson-Williams)

Not a big fan of HGW, but this is bloody brilliant.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    FUCK YOU THOR! GO BIG (AND RED AND ITALICS) OR GO HOME!

I agree. I like ( and practice ) big bold letters for score/composer title, there's nothing rude or shouty about it, just makes it clear to everyone what's being played.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Speaking of which...

NP: THE BIG COUNTRY - Jerome Moross

Nothing more to say, everyone should know how brilliant this score is.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    NP: WHITE PALACE (George Fenton)

cool

I used to own this on cassette and remember loving it, but I haven't got it on CD and haven't heard it for probably 20 years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's unusual in Fenton's oeuvre. A little bit of synth, a little bit of sax, a little bit of orchestral sensuality. Demetris would hate it. I adore it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Thor wrote
    NP: KINGDOM OF HEAVEN (Harry Gregson-Williams)

Not a big fan of HGW, but this is bloody brilliant.

the "Walls Breached" Track is so beautiful
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2017
    vALARIAN: cITY oF A tHOUSAND pLANETS aLEXANDRE dESPLAT

i wOULDN'T qUITE gO aS fAR aS fIVE sTARS, bUT tHIS iS A fINE, ePIC sCI-fI/fANTASY/aCTION sCORE.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Baby's Day Out Bruce Broughton

The same theme appears to have been playing for the last 8 hours or so. Does this never end? What a slog.
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    Rebel in the Rye - Bear McCreary

Take out the jazz and this is beautiful. Sometimes you can hear Bernstein, sometimes you can hear Horner but it's always very obvious who the composer is. That opening cue is a stunner.
  4. REBEL IN THE RYE - Bear McCreary

This is VERY strong. The jazz is different than all the gorgeousness in the rest of it, but I don't mind it. This is definitely one of the best scores of the year for sure.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    vALARIAN: cITY oF A tHOUSAND pLANETS aLEXANDRE dESPLAT

i wOULDN'T qUITE gO aS fAR aS fIVE sTARS, bUT tHIS iS A fINE, ePIC sCI-fI/fANTASY/aCTION sCORE.

Snarky fuck. biggrin beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Ali's Wedding - Nigel Westlake

Everything said about this magical score is true.
    Westlake never fails to deliver. Wonderful!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: REBEL IN THE RYE (Bear McCreary)

I had to see what all the fuss was about. Well, my reaction is 'meh'. Didn't care for it at all.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. I didn't really think that it was the praise either. It's fine enough, just not THAT great.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. Thor wrote
    NP: REBEL IN THE RYE (Bear McCreary)

I had to see what all the fuss was about. Well, my reaction is 'meh'. Didn't care for it at all.

Well now I really have to check this one out!
  7. It IS quite lovely. More in the (if slightly more expressive) minimalist idiom, if you're not that into it.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  8. On a purely associative note this reminds me that Spielberg never could make his CATCHER IN THE RYE film although the novel reads like it was written for him to adapt and how Williams could have made such a nice restrained, jazzy score for it. Oh, well ...

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    On a purely associative note this reminds me that Spielberg never could make his CATCHER IN THE RYE film although the novel reads like it was written for him to adapt and how Williams could have made such a nice restrained, jazzy score for it. Oh, well ...

smile Volker

The Salinger estate has prevented that film from ever being made, based on Salinger's own request. Not even Spielberg can change that. Alas. I would have loved to see his version too.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. [off topic] I know. Even so I'd like to speculate how such a film could have been like. Maybe Spielberg would have made it too cheesy anyway. What is often overlooked is, that this novel is not only about adolescence. It is also a New York novel, a portrait (of sorts) of the Big Apple in the early 1950s. So, I sometimes wonder what Woody Allen in non-comedy mode would have come up with. He is on record with loving the book. [/off topic]