• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2017
    NP: TULIP FEVER (Danny Elfman)

First listen. So far, so good. It's this type of Elfman that I enjoy these days, so hoping it will sustain its quality throughout.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. NP: Starship Troopers (1997) - Basil Poledouris

Now, this expansion really was a dream come true. Especially since the original release was much too short.
    Why don't they put out this film out on BluRay already?

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2017 edited
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Starship Troopers (1997) - Basil Poledouris

Now, this expansion really was a dream come true. Especially since the original release was much too short.
    Why don't they out this film out on BluRay already?

Volker

This and the UnderSiege 2 expansion are two of the finest examples of lengthier representations being totally justified. Both have hardly a note of music that you'd omit.

Under the Skin - Mica Levi

Has only become more mesmerising with repeated listens. It's certainly one of the more unique scores of recent times. I can't imagine music that more accurately captures 'otherworldly-ness'.
  2. Captain Future wrote

Volker

It actually just was released on BluRay! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2017
    Captain Future wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Volker

It actually just was released on BluRay! smile

Hey! I was about to say the same earlier, but then figured, well, the only Bluray release there is, stems from 10 years ago and is hard to obtain, so fair enough, there's not really a proper Bluray release at the moment, while they do release the horrible sequels on not just Bluray but the latest even on 4K. And then I saw this post of yours just now, with the 'just' in it, which made me second check, and whadayknow, there is indeed a new 20th anniversary Bluray release! In 4K! (not that I care for 4K, but at least they make some effort).
  3. I wasn't aware there ever was a release on BluRay. This might have to do with the fact that the film was put on the index in Germany. Selling it is legal, advertising it is not.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    i visited Chicago yesterday for the first time! visited the great lakes and drove through downtown, gazing at those enormous towers!
    Any good Chicago scores?
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  4. The Blues Brothers
    Flatliners
    The Fury
    Home Alone series
    Road to Perdition
    Somewhere in Time
    Spider-Man 2
    The Sting
    While You Were Sleeping
    smile
  5. Just played: The Great Fantasy Adventure Album - Erich Kunzel and his Combo

It's really great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Aidabaida wrote
    i visited Chicago yesterday for the first time! visited the great lakes and drove through downtown, gazing at those enormous towers!
    Any good Chicago scores?

CHICAGO by Danny Elfman? wink
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Thor wrote
    Aidabaida wrote
    Any good Chicago scores?

CHICAGO by Danny Elfman? wink

Yup. I omitted that one because it's a musical. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Captain Future wrote
    The Blues Brothers
    Flatliners
    The Fury
    Home Alone series
    Road to Perdition
    Somewhere in Time
    Spider-Man 2
    The Sting
    While You Were Sleeping
    smile

awesome!
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  7. NP: The Artist (2011) - Ludovic Bource

This then acclaimed score isn't much talked about any more. I still think it's lovely.

Volker
  8. Thomas Newman - Road to Perdition

Writing a review for my site, which still hasn't got this one written for some reason. I just wish Newman didn't throw all the random period pieces. It's not as bad as in The Green Mile where a song literally breaks the emotional conclusion in half, completely ruining the mood so carefully created by Coffey on the Mile, but to have a slow dance piece right after something as meticulous as Reading Room just hurts a bit.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Aidabaida wrote
    Any good Chicago scores?

The Dark Knight!
    The Fugitive!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  9. Erik Woods wrote

The Dark Knight!

Wow, I wonder how many people remember why that's correct!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

The Dark Knight!

It was actually the first one I thought of, but that's also because when I was in Chicago in 2013 I actively sought out parts of the city where pivotal scenes were filmed.

For me, Chicago (the musical) was the one I listened to when in Chicago (the film version, though I wouldn't associate it with Elfman as all the memorable parts aren't his), and because I had just seen Inside Llewyn Davis back then, and the soundtrack had just come out, that one more than anything became my soundtrack of my trip, I still kinda associate that music with my time in Chicago. And Llewyn travels to Chicago during the film, so it's even kinda appropriate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

The Dark Knight!

It isn't that hard to put two and two together.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Captain Future wrote
    I wasn't aware there ever was a release on BluRay. This might have to do with the fact that the film was put on the index in Germany. Selling it is legal, advertising it is not.

smile Volker

Really? Does this have more to do with all the violence, or with the fact that the opening is staged after Leni Riefenstahl's Triumph des Willens? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2017
    Spider-Man: Homecoming Michael Giacchino

By far my favourite Spidey score. Elfman's theme will always be a favourite, but rarely does an Elfman score keep my interest throughout - his Spidey scores are no exception. Horner's score is good - very good in places - but doesn't really sound like a Spider-Man score. And Zimmer's is unlistenable as far as I'm concerned. Giacchino's on the other hand has everything going for it. It's perfect for the film, and the album is near perfect too (it only loses marks for the weird bit at the end of the suite).
  10. NP: Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) - Edwin Astley

Having a spare hour I hunted down and watched the original episode of this late sixties TV show, "My Late Lamented Friend and Partner" to see how it stood up. Despite my son sniggering at what he saw, I thought that it stood up remarkably well (compared with other revisits to old shows I have watched recently). Astley's theme is one of my favourite TV themes and it's a sign of the film and TV genre that I am able to listen to the score for this episode in its entirety. Astley gives his theme a bit of a workout, varying it nicely throughout.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2017 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) - Edwin Astley

Having a spare hour I hunted down and watched the original episode of this late sixties TV show, "My Late Lamented Friend and Partner" to see how it stood up. Despite my son sniggering at what he saw, I thought that it stood up remarkably well (compared with other revisits to old shows I have watched recently). Astley's theme is one of my favourite TV themes and it's a sign of the film and TV genre that I am able to listen to the score for this episode in its entirety. Astley gives his theme a bit of a workout, varying it nicely throughout.

A genius of TV composing, right up at the top of the greatest composers who worked in television.

Have you seen the documentary about Astley with Jools Holland. At one time Pete Townsend of The Who was his son in law.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

By far my favourite Spidey score. Elfman's theme will always be a favourite, but rarely does an Elfman score keep my interest throughout - his Spidey scores are no exception. Horner's score is good - very good in places - but doesn't really sound like a Spider-Man score. And Zimmer's is unlistenable as far as I'm concerned. Giacchino's on the other hand has everything going for it. It's perfect for the film, and the album is near perfect too (it only loses marks for the weird bit at the end of the suite).

I nearly agree with you except that I enjoyed Zimmer's take. His Batman scores on the other hand ( set in Chicago if I'm not mistaken ) leave me totally cold, I don't like them.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  11. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) - Edwin Astley

A genius of TV composing, right up at the top of the greatest composers who worked in television.

Have you seen the documentary about Astley with Jools Holland. At one time Pete Townsend of The Who was his son in law.

No, I haven't seen the documentary. But I notice that it's on YouTube.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote

Mine is opposite. Zimmer is the best, followed by Horner, followed by the Elfmans....and then Giacchino waaaaay down.
    I am extremely serious.
  12. Steven wrote

Giacchino's is probably my least favorite. I like the theme and the more playful parts (even so, it's probably the weakest theme ever written for the webslinger, tied with Zimmer's). But the action music outside of "Monumental Meltdown" feels average at best by his standards. A lot of the time it feels like he's just slamming one chord over and over again for extended periods of time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    A lot of the time it feels like he's just slamming one chord over and over again for extended periods of time.

That is my keyword for most of what I've heard of MG's action music. There are some rare exceptions, like JOHN CARTER. He's also able to churn out a decent theme now and then (like the main STAR TREK theme). But most of the time -- yes, it's basically one "big" chord after the other, perhaps some rhytmical patterns, but rarely any structure or melodic finesse beyond that.
    I am extremely serious.
  13. I disagree that that applies to all or even most of his action music, but Homecoming was not up to his best in that arena by a long shot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Washu wrote
    Dunkirk - Hans Zimmer
    It is 2.5 stars for me.

Agreed. But 2.5 out of 10.

Good thing is that whilst it came with a big wave, then it quickly vanished back into people's far memories, as abruptly as it all came to us. Good riddance i say. terribly mediocre.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.