• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2017
    Erik Woods wrote
    Aidabaida and Demetris. Is the Shift Button broken on your keyboards?????

-Erik-

Nah, i am typing fast via breaks from work, i am too lazy sometimes wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    David OC wrote
    Rebel in the Rye - Bear McCreary

The main theme might be the best thing he's ever composed. It's utterly brilliant and the opening track is one to replay again and again.
    The jazzy cues do little for me but the wonderful orchestral stuff accounts for what feels like his most mature dramatic score to date.

Bernstein meets Horner. It's really is gorgeous. One of McCreary's strongest dramatic efforts and one of my favourite scores of the year! McCreary is having another stand out year!

-Erik-

Really good indeed. Although somewhat unoriginal, but enjoyable indeed. What other standout scores he has out this year?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Aidabaida wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Aidabaida and Demetris. Is the Shift Button broken on your keyboards?????

-Erik-

i find that no caps makes you seem less definitive, more approachable, more friendly

WHY DO YOU SAY THAT!!?!?! AM I NOT FRIENDLY NOW? LET'S CUDDLE .
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    NP: KINGDOM OF HEAVEN (Harry Gregson-Williams)

Not a big fan of HGW, but this is bloody brilliant.

His best score to date, the one case where the 'complete' 'recording sessions' whatever they call it 2cd 'version' does it fuller justice. He never surpassed it (although Price of Persia was fantastic too) and kinda vanished into smaller projects lately it seems?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    NP: REBEL IN THE RYE (Bear McCreary)

I had to see what all the fuss was about. Well, my reaction is 'meh'. Didn't care for it at all.

of course you won't like it, it's got proper themes, and melodies, and structure, and instruments, and..music wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote
    Spider-Man: Homecoming Michael Giacchino

By far my favourite Spidey score. Elfman's theme will always be a favourite, but rarely does an Elfman score keep my interest throughout - his Spidey scores are no exception. Horner's score is good - very good in places - but doesn't really sound like a Spider-Man score. And Zimmer's is unlistenable as far as I'm concerned. Giacchino's on the other hand has everything going for it. It's perfect for the film, and the album is near perfect too (it only loses marks for the weird bit at the end of the suite).

Mine is opposite. Zimmer is the best, followed by Horner, followed by the Elfmans....and then Giacchino waaaaay down.

I'd reverse your list and you got my list smile Zimmer's was horrible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2017 edited
    Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote

His best score to date, the one case where the 'complete' 'recording sessions' whatever they call it 2cd 'version' does it fuller justice. He never surpassed it (although Price of Persia was fantastic too) and kinda vanished into smaller projects lately it seems?

Really? I always thought the album version was a very representative presentation of the score, while the film was plagued with literal temp tracks like Graeme Revell's The Crow, Marco Beltrami's Blade II, Goldsmith's The 13th Warrior and Patrick Cassidy's Vide Cor Meum, and every expanded version I got my hands on at the time were plagued by those tracks as well. Nothing of note of the actual score itself which didn't already exist in any version on the official release?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote

I had to see what all the fuss was about. Well, my reaction is 'meh'. Didn't care for it at all.

of course you won't like it, it's got proper themes, and melodies, and structure, and instruments, and..music wink

No, it's mostly annoying and grating.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote

I'd have said this or Spy Game. But then came The Martian.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Harry Gregson-Williams - The Equalizer

And I like this one more than I should probably, but the theme is really pretty, written for what's essentially another outing in the genre you could call Angry Denzel.

Someone decided to make a Tony Scott film without... well, Tony Scott (it's so prominent in the score, too). I mean, look at how it plays out:

1. Denzel plays a guy who has some kind of secret experience and it somehow traumatized him;
    2. There is a random civilian who he comes to like;
    3. The random civilian gets hurt;
    4. Denzel enters rage mode and dispatches the villains in a somewhat creative manner.

No, never been done before. But it's well watchable with the director giving it a bit of not-handheld grit and a penchant for some pretty visuals. Sadly, one of the film's recurring visual motifs never really pays off, which is really a pity as it could really elevate the revenge story.
  3. Thor wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote

You never fail to astonish. Loves Junkie XL, but no, a nice sweeping melodic drama score by a proper composer like Bear McCreary, that's "grating". dizzy

I mean seriously, maybe you don't like the jazz stuff, but the rest? I fail to see how that could actively annoy. Maybe it does nothing for you, that's fine, everyone has their own tastes, but it's not written in an idiom that is at all grating or unpleasant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BobdH wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote

Really? I always thought the album version was a very representative presentation of the score, while the film was plagued with literal temp tracks like Graeme Revell's The Crow, Marco Beltrami's Blade II, Goldsmith's The 13th Warrior and Patrick Cassidy's Vide Cor Meum, and every expanded version I got my hands on at the time were plagued by those tracks as well. Nothing of note of the actual score itself which didn't already exist in any version on the official release?

i don't remember such tracks in the version i got. it's just recording sessions of hgw's score nothing else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thor wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote

You never fail to astonish. Loves Junkie XL, but no, a nice sweeping melodic drama score by a proper composer like Bear McCreary, that's "grating". dizzy

I mean seriously, maybe you don't like the jazz stuff, but the rest? I fail to see how that could actively annoy. Maybe it does nothing for you, that's fine, everyone has their own tastes, but it's not written in an idiom that is at all grating or unpleasant.

i don't like jazz either but the rest is so melodic, so enjoyable indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    n.p. hans zimmer - lorne balfe - genius vol1 and 2

has some good breaks in it, but overall and for the most part it's instantly forgettable stuff once you hit 'off' or 'stop' swoosh it completely and instantly vanishes from your mind smile it's like they don't even try sometimes , just collect the paychecks wink in a score about Einstein , called 'genius' you'd at least expect to hear some effort, some minimal stuff to do something with the music, a little innovation, freshness, character, a concept, something..instead it's wholly generic, cliched, all tricks expected and small-scale. The opposite of genius smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote

has some good breaks in it, but overall and for the most part it's instantly forgettable stuff once you hit 'off' or 'stop' swoosh it completely and instantly vanishes from your mind smile it's like they don't even try sometimes , just collect the paychecks wink in a score about Einstein , called 'genius' you'd at least expect to hear some effort, some minimal stuff to do something with the music, a little innovation, freshness, character, a concept, something..instead it's wholly generic, cliched, all tricks expected and small-scale. The opposite of genius smile

Yes, I found that disappointing too.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

If it's any comfort, I like a lot of the other things Bear has done.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. BobdH wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    I wasn't aware there ever was a release on BluRay. This might have to do with the fact that the film was put on the index in Germany. Selling it is legal, advertising it is not.

smile Volker

Really? Does this have more to do with all the violence, or with the fact that the opening is staged after Leni Riefenstahl's Triumph des Willens? wink

A bit of the latter if I remember correctly. They said the film could be perceived as the glorification of a fascist system. The board obviously did not see the irony markers or thought they were to ambivalent.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  5. Demetris wrote

Small scale can be genius. I didn't listen to the full album, but it's not vol. 1 and 2 but rather an EP vs. an LP.
  6. Alex Heffes - Emperor

The score went under the radar after Desplat quit the film over scheduling conflict. The film I remember to be quite nice - it's about the time right after World War II and a character with a personal connection to the Japanese culture tasked with investigating whether Hirohito himself (hence the title) should be tried for war crimes.

The score is a combination of Japanese ethnic writing, American militaristic style combined with some surgical use of electronics and some more ostinato-influenced tracks. The ostinati are definitely of the composer's style, as I heard some of his other work later. The Japanese character (Aya) has a really pretty theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Captain Future wrote
    BobdH wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    I wasn't aware there ever was a release on BluRay. This might have to do with the fact that the film was put on the index in Germany. Selling it is legal, advertising it is not.

smile Volker

Really? Does this have more to do with all the violence, or with the fact that the opening is staged after Leni Riefenstahl's Triumph des Willens? wink

A bit of the latter if I remember correctly. They said the film could be perceived as the glorification of a fascist system. The board obviously did not see the irony markers or thought they were to ambivalent.

Haha, wow. That is especially ironic given Paul Verhoeven grew up (very young) during the war, despises fascism, read the book and threw it away disgusted because of its fascist undertones, and basically created Starship Troopers as an angry indictment against it. And then to be banned (sort of) in Germany because of it...
  7. I have to say that I don't know how can Starship Troopers be taken seriously BY ANYONE. If you miss the "I'm doing my part" scene with the little kid of all things, there is always the beautiful scene with the cow that would make it clear (CENSORED!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Demetris wrote

Small scale can be genius. I didn't listen to the full album, but it's not vol. 1 and 2 but rather an EP vs. an LP.

no man, this is silly music for idiots, not for geniuses wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Alex Heffes - Emperor

The score went under the radar after Desplat quit the film over scheduling conflict. The film I remember to be quite nice - it's about the time right after World War II and a character with a personal connection to the Japanese culture tasked with investigating whether Hirohito himself (hence the title) should be tried for war crimes.

The score is a combination of Japanese ethnic writing, American militaristic style combined with some surgical use of electronics and some more ostinato-influenced tracks. The ostinati are definitely of the composer's style, as I heard some of his other work later. The Japanese character (Aya) has a really pretty theme.

love that, same goes for Alex Heffes' mandela: long walk to freedom and red riding hood
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I have to say that I don't know how can Starship Troopers be taken seriously BY ANYONE. If you miss the "I'm doing my part" scene with the little kid of all things, there is always the beautiful scene with the cow that would make it clear (CENSORED!)

Jup, I have that same bafflement. I remember an American reviewer who criticised the film for "not having any ambition to be anything other than a loud and violent effects spectacle". To not see the layers thick satire, irony, or to take it at point value - really?
  8. BobdH wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    BobdH wrote
    Captain Future wrote

smile Volker

Haha, wow. That is especially ironic given Paul Verhoeven grew up (very young) during the war, despises fascism, read the book and threw it away disgusted because of its fascist undertones, and basically created Starship Troopers as an angry indictment against it. And then to be banned (sort of) in Germany because of it...

These decisions are always questionable. Adjusted cuts of the film aired on German TV. The same goes for TERMINATOR, SCARFACE ... Doesn't happen often any more though and most of these bans haven been lifted since.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  9. Demetris wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Alex Heffes - Emperor

love that, same goes for Alex Heffes' mandela: long walk to freedom and red riding hood

That Red Riding Hood score he did with Brian Reitzell? That one was bloody awful!
  10. Demetris wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Demetris wrote

no man, this is silly music for idiots, not for geniuses wink

I'm not talking about this particular score, where I only heard the short album and don't remember a thing. I'm talking about saying that small scame can't be genius. It very well can and often it ends up that it's the smaller scores that end up being more interesting than the epics in recent times.
  11. Demetris wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Alex Heffes - Emperor

Haven't heard the latter. I liked State of Play and, actually, kinda Escape Plan (a silly Schwarzenegger-Stallone actioner), too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE HANDMAIDEN (Yeong-wook Jo [or rather one of his minions])

What a superb score this is! Flowing, gorgeous romantic minimalism.
    I am extremely serious.
  12. With a track that sounds undeniably like........

Downton Abbey.